Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Re: Tank watch 

Post#161 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Check out this link https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jalen-green/

The same outlet has Green listed at 6'6" and 6'5" in two different places.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#162 » by Stillwater » Mon May 10, 2021 9:25 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:There is nothing about trading either of them that screams success sooner by doing so and in fact it is pretty unlikely the org is even considering it right now. But it would be easier to move Garland. Maybe this time next season things will look different from a spacing perspective but without upgrading to a better pg it isnt going to matter who they put next to DG bigger longer etc if they cannot score as much as Sexton does and be so much better defensively that is justifiable to set the rebuild back another year passing up on a elite forward. So unless they love Green and have a chance to draft him even though he is a sh*t defender too I dont see them even considering moving Sexton and even if they do it wont be until after he is extended wants traded etc but if you gave me the option of rolling out Cade and Sexton vs DG and Green I am going with the first option, and on top of all that I would not be at all surprised if it is DG's camp pushing the narrative that players would welcome a trade because it kills his brand that he has not made the team better as the guy being tasked with that job. Getting a good assist % doesnt say much when the sg come in while you are out and gets just as many no matter how haphazardly it happens or how many scrubs are out there

If Sexton is such the better player, why would it be easier to move Garland? I mean it's obvious, right? There should be a long line of suitors for Sexton if it's that obvious.

2 reasons 1 nobody gives Sexton the respect he deserves and will only claim interest in him as a bench player for their roster as far as value they will offer, and 2 he is a legit starter for the Cavs regardless of where he plays at the 2 or the 1 and they will not be low balling him for the sake of finding a slightly bigger slightly less ball dominant slightly less aggressive slightly less driven strictly off ball player to compliment a far less athletic slightly better playmaker slightly better ball handler slightly better passer and one with no upside at all.
But teams will trade for DG because he is a nice table setter with dazzling handles that apparently can shoot like Curry if he is open
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,368

Post#163 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
We don't know where or who we'll be selecting with our pick. There's no rule that says you can't ship Langford and/or that 1st out for a replacement level SG to hold down the fort for a year. I'd like a true NBA backup PG. I might attach a couple of seconds to Prince to see if you can get Rubio out of Minny, especially if Love is moving to the bench as he should.

But this level of suck can't continue. The team as was as the organization is in danger of spiraling.

I've been thinking about the step that Utah and Phoenix took this year after adding veteran PG's to their roster, went back and forth a bit, but what I'm thinking is we probably need to continue to suck.

Our next draft pick will be important, but it'd be foolish to think he'll be ready to help us win. All our young players need a lot more minutes.

Basically when our youngest core player is starting his 3rd season, that's probably about time to make our move.

There's a big difference between even picking late in the lottery and where the Cavs are now. Especially with the new lottery odds. But I sincerely believe that this level of awful cannot continue for a number of reasons, and things that can't continue, don't.

In terms of young players needing minutes, you don't have to start rookies. Quite a few really good players in the NBA learned coming off the bench their first couple of years. You don't have to gift them minutes. You can make them earn those minutes by having them build up those good habits in practice or the G League. Canton isn't that far away. What you do have to have is better players on the roster who objectively deserve to be in front of them on the depth chart. That's something the Cavs haven't really had since Sexton's rookie year when we shipped out Burke, Hood, and Clarkson. Even those guys were only good bench players.

By hook or crook, we need to age our starting lineup if we want to win. We can be patent and let our young players develop, or we can trade most of them for established players; but they're just too young right now to make an all-in type of move - unless you'd be happy to emulate the Knicks.

btw, tie breaker for draft order is determined by coin flip, so, the order in tank-a-thon is meaningless.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#164 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Check out this link https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jalen-green/

The same outlet has Green listed at 6'6" and 6'5" in two different places.

The 6'5" measurements were from a article posted before the G-league started play.

NBA.com has him listed at 6'6"/178 which is just 3lbs heavier than Garland was listed coming out of Vandy.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#165 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
I've been thinking about the step that Utah and Phoenix took this year after adding veteran PG's to their roster, went back and forth a bit, but what I'm thinking is we probably need to continue to suck.

Our next draft pick will be important, but it'd be foolish to think he'll be ready to help us win. All our young players need a lot more minutes.

Basically when our youngest core player is starting his 3rd season, that's probably about time to make our move.

There's a big difference between even picking late in the lottery and where the Cavs are now. Especially with the new lottery odds. But I sincerely believe that this level of awful cannot continue for a number of reasons, and things that can't continue, don't.

In terms of young players needing minutes, you don't have to start rookies. Quite a few really good players in the NBA learned coming off the bench their first couple of years. You don't have to gift them minutes. You can make them earn those minutes by having them build up those good habits in practice or the G League. Canton isn't that far away. What you do have to have is better players on the roster who objectively deserve to be in front of them on the depth chart. That's something the Cavs haven't really had since Sexton's rookie year when we shipped out Burke, Hood, and Clarkson. Even those guys were only good bench players.

By hook or crook, we need to age our starting lineup if we want to win. We can be patent and let our young players develop, or we can trade most of them for established players; but they're just too young right now to make an all-in type of move - unless you'd be happy to emulate the Knicks.

btw, tie breaker for draft order is determined by coin flip, so, the order in tank-a-thon is meaningless.

I mean an MLE guy would be an upgrade over Cedi and the G League crew. I think you could toss a couple seconds to Minny and pull Rubio for Prince. The Cavs would not have to part with guys they don't want to part with to improve the talent around the younger players. When you're starting with Delly, Cedi, and the Canton Charge, you've got a lot of room to move up before it gets expensive.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#166 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am

HOU-16-53 clinched
DET 20-50, games vs DEN, MIA

(3 way tie)
CLE 21-48, Celts, AT WAS, AT BKN (anyone else super scared we're going to win 2 of these 3? I am)
OKC 21-48 Beating the Kings, but they'll figure out a way to lose. VS UT and LAC Maybe they win 1 game?
ORL 21-47, losing to MIL, @ ATL @PHI @PHI Philly might need both of those games

MIN 22-47, obviously Minnesota should have been in the playoff game without the season from hell. VS DEN/BOS/DAL
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 am

This really is the season from Hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#168 » by Stillwater » Thu May 13, 2021 3:14 am

It is showcasing Love still has it that makes this win bearable for me, but it was a serious blow to be tied for 3rd and immediately a shoe in for 5th or 6th before the damn drawing with a meaningless win.
Maybe with OKC playing Utah who with a win tonight lock up the 1 seed might rest players against OKC in the reg season finale enough to gift OKC a win or maybe Orlando gets that outcome playing the sixers twice but the odds are also good the Cavs win again against the Nets in their last game if Phily has already locked up the 1 seed.
I guess it doesnt really make much difference being at 2nd worse didnt
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#169 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 13, 2021 2:33 pm

Imagine if Isaac Okoro was going out there defending and trying to score against the Nesmith's and Langford's of the league night in and night out rather than the Jayson Tatum's or playing with veteran PG's like Edwards.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Stillwater wrote:It is showcasing Love still has it that makes this win bearable for me, but it was a serious blow to be tied for 3rd and immediately a shoe in for 5th or 6th before the damn drawing with a meaningless win.
Maybe with OKC playing Utah who with a win tonight lock up the 1 seed might rest players against OKC in the reg season finale enough to gift OKC a win or maybe Orlando gets that outcome playing the sixers twice but the odds are also good the Cavs win again against the Nets in their last game if Phily has already locked up the 1 seed.
One good game at the end of the season isn't going to change anyone's mind.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#171 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Imagine if Isaac Okoro was going out there defending and trying to score against the Nesmith's and Langford's of the league night in and night out rather than the Jayson Tatum's or playing with veteran PG's like Edwards.
Edwards is pretty awful but I get the overall point.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#172 » by Stillwater » Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:It is showcasing Love still has it that makes this win bearable for me, but it was a serious blow to be tied for 3rd and immediately a shoe in for 5th or 6th before the damn drawing with a meaningless win.

bs he proved he is not washed up and did it convincingly . Did he prove he is not a injury waiting to happen or did it increase the ability to trade him for anyone good not really...but it did spark some interest without question esp with the underlying reality that teams may buy into the man just not being engaged or into playing for a bad team but was able to get it up for the fan appreciation night and go out in style. Of course all the majority of us want is for them to lose for a higher pick but KLove is not going to be a Cav past this summer imo.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#173 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 13, 2021 5:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Imagine if Isaac Okoro was going out there defending and trying to score against the Nesmith's and Langford's of the league night in and night out rather than the Jayson Tatum's or playing with veteran PG's like Edwards.

Do you think anyone else has a shot at ROY other than Edwards?

The voters seem to like rooks who score 20ppg ... if the coaches were voting, maybe Isaac would actually have a shot?

LaMelo has been pretty up & down since returning, but I suppose he still has a shot.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,636

Post#174 » by toooskies » Thu May 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

bs he proved he is not washed up and did it convincingly . Did he prove he is not a injury waiting to happen or did it increase the ability to trade him for anyone good not really...but it did spark some interest without question esp with the underlying reality that teams may buy into the man just not being engaged or into playing for a bad team but was able to get it up for the fan appreciation night and go out in style. Of course all the majority of us want is for them to lose for a higher pick but KLove is not going to be a Cav past this summer imo.

Well, all you need to do is convince someone that Love has potential value, even if he's never living up to his contract, and you package him w/ one of our guards to grab an older talent from a team that needs to shuffle their roster. Love + Sexton for BI + salary filler, who says no? Or maybe cash in Love and our draft pick for three or four rotation guys from Memphis.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#175 » by Stillwater » Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm

toooskies wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:One good game at the end of the season isn't going to change anyone's mind.

Well, all you need to do is convince someone that Love has potential value, even if he's never living up to his contract, and you package him w/ one of our guards to grab an older talent from a team that needs to shuffle their roster. Love + Sexton for BI + salary filler, who says no? Or maybe cash in Love and our draft pick for three or four rotation guys from Memphis.

more likely Love is bought out if theyd have to add a lottery picked player
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#176 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The voters seem to like rooks who score 20ppg ... if the coaches were voting, maybe Isaac would actually have a shot?

LaMelo has been pretty up & down since returning, but I suppose he still has a shot.

Lamelo is -900 to win and Edwards is +550. If you think Edwards will win, there's a great chance to make 550$ for every 100 you wager.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#177 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu May 13, 2021 9:36 pm

toooskies wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:One good game at the end of the season isn't going to change anyone's mind.

If we could get Ingram(and even if we had to take back Adams?) for Sexton and Love I'm driving everyone to the airport to make it happen.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#178 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Edwards is pretty awful but I get the overall point.

Lamelo is -900 to win and Edwards is +550. If you think Edwards will win, there's a great chance to make 550$ for every 100 you wager.

I just wonder if they can keep the people voting for the reward from betting on it ..
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#179 » by Stillwater » Thu May 13, 2021 11:23 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:
toooskies wrote:
Stillwater wrote:bs he proved he is not washed up and did it convincingly . Did he prove he is not a injury waiting to happen or did it increase the ability to trade him for anyone good not really...but it did spark some interest without question esp with the underlying reality that teams may buy into the man just not being engaged or into playing for a bad team but was able to get it up for the fan appreciation night and go out in style. Of course all the majority of us want is for them to lose for a higher pick but KLove is not going to be a Cav past this summer imo.

If we could get Ingram(and even if we had to take back Adams?) for Sexton and Love I'm driving everyone to the airport to make it happen.

Id rather keep Sexton and send Love home on paid leave than bring a pot head into CLE and have the ownership group decide he was a bad image and trade him for a typewriter to Houston
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#180 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri May 14, 2021 3:25 am

Stillwater wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Id rather keep Sexton and send Love home on paid leave than bring a pot head into CLE and have the ownership group decide he was a bad image and trade him for a typewriter to Houston

Bad decisions from Cleveland management go all the way back(and way further) to trading Ron Harper for Danny Ferry because Harper had sketchy friends. I seem to remember Darius Miles having his house/apartment searched and the next week he was traded for Jeff McInnis.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers