Moderator: ijspeelman

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Re: Game 69 : Indiana Pacers (31-36) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (21-47) - 7:30 PM 

Post#21 » by LivingLegend » Thu May 13, 2021 6:38 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
toooskies wrote:Depends on who we end up drafting and how good they are to start the season, but I don't think there's a guy you play at SG in front of him on our current roster. Maybe Sexton isn't a starting SG on a good team, but we're not a good team! We don't have a SG on the roster worthy of putting our only good scorer on the bench.

If you move Sexton out of the starting lineup, you're simultaneously insulting him and killing his trade value. May as well trade him in the offseason.

I think Okoro is your SG. Hes not a SF no matter how many people on here want him to be. Unless he grows another 2-3 inches he will always be undersized guarding guys like Tatum, LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, ect

I agree with you on your last point with Sexton. Which is why I would be shopping him heavily this offseason while he may not have a higher value than he does now

Okoro is proving without DG out there that he is best offensively with the ball in his hands as a slashing small forward there is literally nothing about his lack of a pull up game that should make you think he is an off ball guard in any universe. WIll he have some problems defending the teams best 3-4 sized player as he gets better? I doubt it very much as he is often doing that as a rookie and not doing too bad considering.
All of these people claiming he is limited to being a sg are not seeing the big picture.
Sexton is never getting shopped after proving in these last 7 games to be fine as a distributor without our glorified lob pitch dribble tank commander out there.

I mean hes doing his best at guarding the other teams SF but he gets overpowered and shot over the top of a lot doing so. The effort is there but he is working really hard to stay in front of those 6'8" SFs hes being asked to guard.

I think his jumper will turn out just fine. The most encouraging thing with him is that his shot looks natural (unlike Sextons) and he hasnt lost faith in it. Even if he misses 3-4 in a row he still is looking to take it. I think with a offseason full of work, he is going to be great and improve dramatically. He is about the only player still showing signs of growth even at the end of a tough season. Which is huge.

In 2-3 years from now he is going to have a very jimmy butler-esq game and I love it.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
I think Okoro is your SG. Hes not a SF no matter how many people on here want him to be. Unless he grows another 2-3 inches he will always be undersized guarding guys like Tatum, LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, ect

I agree with you on your last point with Sexton. Which is why I would be shopping him heavily this offseason while he may not have a higher value than he does now

Okoro is proving without DG out there that he is best offensively with the ball in his hands as a slashing small forward there is literally nothing about his lack of a pull up game that should make you think he is an off ball guard in any universe. WIll he have some problems defending the teams best 3-4 sized player as he gets better? I doubt it very much as he is often doing that as a rookie and not doing too bad considering.
All of these people claiming he is limited to being a sg are not seeing the big picture.
Sexton is never getting shopped after proving in these last 7 games to be fine as a distributor without our glorified lob pitch dribble tank commander out there.

I mean hes doing his best at guarding the other teams SF but he gets overpowered and shot over the top of a lot doing so. The effort is there but he is working really hard to stay in front of those 6'8" SFs hes being asked to guard.

I think his jumper will turn out just fine. The most encouraging thing with him is that his shot looks natural (unlike Sextons) and he hasnt lost faith in it. Even if he misses 3-4 in a row he still is looking to take it. I think with a offseason full of work, he is going to be great and improve dramatically. He is about the only player still showing signs of growth even at the end of a tough season. Which is huge.

In 2-3 years from now he is going to have a very jimmy butler-esq game and I love it.

You and others who have this hang up with Sexton because he isnt Irving ( he's better on paper but not as entertaining) so you usher non shooters into Sextons position to accommodate Garland sticking on the roster despite not doing anything besides dribbling around and throwing lobs is just the ultimate in lunacy too me.
Trading Sexton is a clusteredfruckn failure if it happens but yeah nothing would surprise me from this **** run org.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#23 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 13, 2021 8:07 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I mean hes doing his best at guarding the other teams SF but he gets overpowered and shot over the top of a lot doing so. The effort is there but he is working really hard to stay in front of those 6'8" SFs hes being asked to guard.

His frame is likely to get bigger and stronger and he's going to learn tendencies to better stay in front and put a hand up at the right time. That's all coaches look for in this day and age.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers