Official 2020-2021 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Re: Official 2020-2021 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#161 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:04 am

GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Mitchell was ruled out today for the remainder of the regular season, which is three more games.

Conley was ruled out today for tomorrow's game against Portland. Conley is generally updated on a game by game basis.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31428690/utah-jazz-donovan-mitchell-ankle-miss-last-3-regular-season-games-re-evaluated-playoffs

Conley is turning into George Hill, will only play 60% of the season and want top dollar.

Except he is way better, and worth every penny of, say, a 25 million a year contract moving forward (not long-term, but ...). There also is not going to be enough money on the market from contending teams for someone to take him, he'd have to pretty much leave on the taxpayer MLE...there is also no way we are offering him a max contract.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#162 » by Crunch 99 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:10 pm

I think we will probably have a dedicated thread concerning how much to offer Conley after the playoffs. Hopefully this Conley time-out will allow the team to get the full strength Conley back for the playoffs, and it doesn't take Conley and Mitchell too long to re-establish some rhythm.

Conley is a great player when he is healthy, but is he a player that will have to play with increasing minute restrictions due to risk of hamstring injury? I'd like to see more medical analysis regarding that question. Maybe it isn't fair to start thinking of the hamstring problem as high risk of recurring, but he has missed a lot of Jazz games these last two seasons due to hamstring soreness. I want him back next season even if he has to play with some minute restrictions, but his next contract needs to reflect his age and potential restrictions.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#163 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm

The playoffs are more important than the regular season. If we have to give already injured players extra time to heal at the expense of missing a few more regular season games, I don't mind it. I'd much prefer all players will be in the best shape and health possible for the playoffs. Maybe if it were important, Conley would have played those games but there is no reason to risk him re-aggravating an injury.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#164 » by Crunch 99 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The playoffs are more important than the regular season. If we have to give already injured players extra time to heal at the expense of missing a few more regular season games, I don't mind it. I'd much prefer all players will be in the best shape and health possible for the playoffs. Maybe if it were important, Conley would have played those games but there is no reason to risk him re-aggravating an injury.

Well fortunately GS defeated Phoenix last night, which helped the chances of the Conley-less, Mitchell-less Jazz team securing the number one seed. The Jazz can mathematically secure the number one seed by winning two out of the final three games, even if Phoenix sweeps their final three games. Winning two out of three is no sure thing, however. The near full strength Blazers are a big challenge tonight, and the Kings have regrouped to go 6-1 since we embarrassed them on April 28. They will be looking for revenge in the final game.

Go Jazz!
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#165 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 12, 2021 1:48 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Mitchell was ruled out today for the remainder of the regular season, which is three more games.

Conley was ruled out today for tomorrow's game against Portland. Conley is generally updated on a game by game basis.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31428690/utah-jazz-donovan-mitchell-ankle-miss-last-3-regular-season-games-re-evaluated-playoffs

Conley is turning into George Hill, will only play 60% of the season and want top dollar.

Except he is way better, and worth every penny of, say, a 25 million a year contract moving forward (not long-term, but ...). There also is not going to be enough money on the market from contending teams for someone to take him, he'd have to pretty much leave on the taxpayer MLE...there is also no way we are offering him a max contract.

I mean he’s sitting out games and hopefully doesn’t happen in the playoffs.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#166 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:23 pm

GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Also to be fair, there is also an age and mile difference. Conley was 32 and had played around 26,000 minutes in the NBA when we traded for him - Hill was 30 and had played about 16,000 minutes. But yah, I hope he plays the entire playoffs, too. He was fantastic last season.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#167 » by TNJazz » Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Completely agree with Inigo on how the Jazz are treating the end of this season. Seating, while it would be nice to sit in the #1 position, it isn't worth risking the health of Conley to be out when it counts for the playoff's. The only advantage getting the #1 seed as things currently stand is the avoidance of the to LA teams in the first round, and probably the second. Actually, with the way the Jazz have played this season against them, I think we have as legit a course to the finals as either of them. Getting there without Conley, while not impossible, becomes VERY difficult with hardly, if any, room for error.

ON a "Hold the presses moment"... NBA is really pushing the envelope and going all in on the teams with star players, so not much love for those in smaller markets with lesser known marque players. :o :lol:

Maybe this year, that comes crumbling down. I'd love to see the Lakers defeated by ANYONE with LBJ and the brow playing...
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#168 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Also to be fair, there is also an age and mile difference. Conley was 32 and had played around 26,000 minutes in the NBA when we traded for him - Hill was 30 and had played about 16,000 minutes. But yah, I hope he plays the entire playoffs, too. He was fantastic last season.

He definitely was but I think his injury is much worse than the Jazz are saying, he’s played half seasons for the last 3 years.... How much rest do you need if it’s not worse...
Ingles is cooked.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,924

Post#169 » by tugs » Thu May 13, 2021 1:22 am

Dem dreadlocks weight might've added to the hamstring strain from the previous years
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#170 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 am

I'm so tired of watching Forrest getting time. Guy can't shoot to save his life. That three point shot is just horrible looking! Don't think Mike and Don care about finishing first place. Just don't seem like either is wanting to lace them up.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,924

Post#171 » by tugs » Thu May 13, 2021 8:37 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:I'm so tired of watching Forrest getting time. Guy can't shoot to save his life. That three point shot is just horrible looking! Don't think Mike and Don care about finishing first place. Just don't seem like either is wanting to lace them up.
Those I think 3 consecutive misses from him did it for Utah. If he made even 1 plus the Clarkson heroics, they could won. Missing those deflated the team

And what happened to Ersan? I swear Quinn suddenly stopped with the big lineup
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#172 » by vryadli » Thu May 13, 2021 2:43 pm

The HCA is not so important, but I hate the other thing - look like we can rely on Quinn Jazz to lose most important games. It started 3 years ago when they said "or, we lost, but that's not big deal, play off is not so important this year...". Since then it was pretty stable pattern, up to last year PO round. Win a lot unimportant games and lost crucial one - that looks almost like Jazz signature approach.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#173 » by Crunch 99 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 pm

tugs wrote:And what happened to Ersan? I swear Quinn suddenly stopped with the big lineup

Yes, I would have liked to have seen Ersan get more opportunities to play non garbage minutes. Imo, he's a savvy veteran player who can find ways to help the team win games even if he sometimes gets beat by opponents driving to the basket. He's got the highest three point percentage on the team at 47.4%. His three point shot is hard to block. He's great at taking charges.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#174 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm

I’m worried about Bogey, Gobert, and Ingles being exhausted for the playoffs with Conley’s extended vacation.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#175 » by Catchall » Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 pm

GobertReport wrote:I’m worried about Bogey, Gobert, and Ingles being exhausted for the playoffs with Conley’s extended vacation.

They'll get a week off to rest up and practice. Then their minutes should return to normal. You want them playing hard right now to up their conditioning.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#176 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri May 14, 2021 8:24 pm

This board, myself included, have been kind of funny this year. In other years, we would have been ecstatic about the prospect of being not only the #1 seed in the West, but overall. This year, however, there has been a muted response and not as much excitement throughout the season. Almost like, not completely buying into how good the Jazz have been this year and waiting for the bottom to drop out.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#177 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:This board, myself included, have been kind of funny this year. In other years, we would have been ecstatic about the prospect of being not only the #1 seed in the West, but overall. This year, however, there has been a muted response and not as much excitement throughout the season. Almost like, not completely buying into how good the Jazz have been this year and waiting for the bottom to drop out.

I think they can win it all but I don’t think the NBA wants that, they want a LeBron vs Nets finals. I won’t be surprised if we meet up in the Conference finals and we see lots of ticky tack fouls against the Jazz, no calls against the Jazz, etc. If we see that I hope Ryan Smith has the balls to sue the NBA.
Ingles is cooked.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#178 » by wco81 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 pm

Sue the NBA?

He's a governor. He'd be undermining the product he partly owns.

Yes NBA officiating and favoritism is highly suspect. But suing because you didn't think your team got calls would not be a good look.

That would be a scorched earth policy.

Last year, you saw Murray in key possessions not get calls when he went to the basket. You could tell he felt he and his team was robbed.

You could tell he was biting his lip in the post-game interviews.

It's possible Jokic will be MVP and the Lakers will neutralize him by roughing him up like they did last year with Howard.

Nuggets owner is loaded but he didn't do anything and neither did the rest of the front office.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#179 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 14, 2021 11:05 pm

wco81 wrote:Sue the NBA?

He's a governor. He'd be undermining the product he partly owns.

Yes NBA officiating and favoritism is highly suspect. But suing because you didn't think your team got calls would not be a good look.

That would be a scorched earth policy.

Last year, you saw Murray in key possessions not get calls when he went to the basket. You could tell he felt he and his team was robbed.

You could tell he was biting his lip in the post-game interviews.

It's possible Jokic will be MVP and the Lakers will neutralize him by roughing him up like they did last year with Howard.

Nuggets owner is loaded but he didn't do anything and neither did the rest of the front office.

Owners could file a class action if they are tired of the BS, would make Silver step down and hire a commissioner who has no ties to the NBA.
Ingles is cooked.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#180 » by wco81 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:16 pm

Sure they could do that.

But do you think most owners feel that way?

There are several teams who probably feel they've been victim to unfair officiating. But the NBA is on trying to negotiate at least triple the current TV contract, to start in the 2024 or 2025 season.

I bet owners care a lot more about that. They want to win rings but they want to make money more.

Unfortunately, the NBA needs high TV ratings, especially in the playoffs including the Finals. Warriors had good ratings in their Finals series every year until the last one, vs. Toronto. That set TV ratings records in Canada but not so much in the US.

Ratings for last year's Finals weren't that great even with the Lakers playing. But odds are better with them or some other big market team involved.

Return to Utah Jazz