ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mariller
Freshman
And1: 145

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#621 » by mariller » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 am

Believing that John Wall would be "running around" anywhere is simply delusional. The man hasn't been "running around" for past 5 years.
For Houston to ensure the tank, all they have to do is leave him on the floor - so IMO this is legit health concern.
Just looking at this, this trade has been an enourmous win for Wizards.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#622 » by prime1time » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:29 pm

A lot of really terrible takes in this thread. Wizards clearly won the trade. Wall is a shell of his former self, and his jumper is still average. Westbrook has turned himself into a positive asset. The problem is the Wizards lack 3-point shooting so we can't give Russ the spacing he needs.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#623 » by FAH1223 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:06 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#624 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am

TGW wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hard not so see how we didnt/dont win this trade in a landslide.

I don't see how giving up a draft pick for a 32 year old statpadder is a win for the Wizards. But hey, I guess whatever can be perceived as a win for Wizards fans is good enough for certain members of the fanbase.

I’m curious. Do you still feel the same way about Westbrook?
Bye bye Beal.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#625 » by 9 and 20 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:21 am

Russel Westbrook has finally surpassed Michael "the next Michael Irvin" Westbrook for most-loved DC athlete.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#626 » by WallToWall » Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 pm

This was a good sell high-ish, buy low-ish trade, and the Wizards clearly won. Westbrook, if he played like he has the last 20 games, was worth more than 1 first round pick. If we were to figure his trade value now, I'd say at least 2 firsts. I don't think HOU can say they are getting their money's worth out of Wall, but we can say we are getting money's worth out of Westbrook. That said, i am a Wall fan and I want to see him succeed, even end his career back here.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#627 » by nate33 » Sat May 15, 2021 1:25 pm

WallToWall wrote:This was a good sell high-ish, buy low-ish trade, and the Wizards clearly won. Westbrook, if he played like he has the last 20 games, was worth more than 1 first round pick. If we were to figure his trade value now, I'd say at least 2 firsts. I don't think HOU can say they are getting their money's worth out of Wall, but we can say we are getting money's worth out of Westbrook. That said, i am a Wall fan and I want to see him succeed, even end his career back here.

If we had waited for the first 10 or so games of the season before making the trade, we probably could have made it straight up. They just had to show that John Wall was healthy. So in that respect, it wasn't a perfect "sell high" trade.

We still won the trade, but could have won it by more.

It's too bad that nearly all the contenders have already traded away their future picks. Now would be an excellent time to sell high on both Westbrook and Beal. But there aren't any buyers with good assets.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#628 » by pcbothwel » Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Over the last 45 games, Russ is averaging 24 / 12.5 / 13 with a ORtg/DRtg of 108 / 108 and an almost 3:1 AST:TOV ratio....
In that span, he has been better at 32 than at ANY 1 year of Walls Career outside maybe 16/17. That is incredible.

I dont know what this core will attain in the next 2 post seasons... but we are watching enjoyable basketball and if a few stars align (Good coach, Healthy/improved Bryant, improved Rui/Deni, healthy Russ/Beal, etc.) Then we might be in store for 50 win season and home court in the playoffs next year given our talent base and Russ's relentlessness during the regular season.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#629 » by TGW » Sun May 16, 2021 6:20 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
TGW wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Hard not so see how we didnt/dont win this trade in a landslide.

I don't see how giving up a draft pick for a 32 year old statpadder is a win for the Wizards. But hey, I guess whatever can be perceived as a win for Wizards fans is good enough for certain members of the fanbase.

Of course. Nothing has changed. The team's culture is still based on feelings and emotions and not actual meaningful wins. They've beaten up on teams that were either missing their best player or flat out tanking, which is why they've been able to go from the fifth worst team to about the 12th worst team in the NBA. A few weeks ago, we were debating who we were taking with a top 5 pick.

I imagine that they're going to maybe make the playoffs after the play-in games, and then get swept out (or maybe win one game) of the playoffs. At that point you're left with a middling first round pick, a strong possibility Brooks is extended, and another year of Westbrook's contract on the books. It's not hard to see that the Wizards are going to be losers for the next few years if they continue down this path.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#630 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 pm

TGW wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
TGW wrote:

Of course. Nothing has changed. The team's culture is still based on feelings and emotions and not actual meaningful wins. They've beaten up on teams that were either missing their best player or flat out tanking, which is why they've been able to go from the fifth worst team to about the 12th worst team in the NBA. A few weeks ago, we were debating who we were taking with a top 5 pick.

I imagine that they're going to maybe make the playoffs after the play-in games, and then get swept out (or maybe win one game) of the playoffs. At that point you're left with a middling first round pick, a strong possibility Brooks is extended, and another year of Westbrook's contract on the books. It's not hard to see that the Wizards are going to be losers for the next few years if they continue down this path.

I do not think they’re going to make the playoffs. I think they are going to lose the next two games including this one again Charlotte.
Bye bye Beal.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#631 » by Shoe » Thu May 27, 2021 7:32 pm

I can't help but think we'd be a better 3 point shooting team with Wall at point guard. Wall was always a perimeter focused passer while Russ is always passing towards the basket. Kickouts and skip passes seem inherently more valuable because they stretch the floor. Especially against the Sixers you can't effectively pass the ball towards the hoop.

Wall always had a knack for angling the ball with loft and accuracy. I'm not saying the Wizards would be a better team, but better at the 3 possibly. I recall Russ's Thunder teams were terrible at 3 point shooting too. I don't know, maybe the data contradicts all of this.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#632 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#633 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:27 pm

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#634 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:39 pm

Confirms Brad pretty much signed off on it, which is w/e in hindsight but yea. It's probably better he was traded before the home town fans had to witness his decline here.

You know GM's have to be hands off in a way so hearing Tommy was two-faced about the situation isn't surprising, but it's just weird how the organization will suck the nuts off of some of our home grown guy, overpay the hell out of em, etc, then just go ghost out of nowhere lol. Happened to Otto too.

I wish John would learn how to be a roleplayer at this point, but his career is declining significantly at this rate. Some of it's physical, but a lot of it's due to basketball IQ stuff that goes back as far as everybody eats.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#635 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:18 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Confirms Brad pretty much signed off on it, which is w/e in hindsight but yea. It's probably better he was traded before the home town fans had to witness his decline here.

You know GM's have to be hands off in a way so hearing Tommy was two-faced about the situation isn't surprising, but it's just weird how the organization will suck the nuts off of some of our home grown guy, overpay the hell out of em, etc, then just go ghost out of nowhere lol. Happened to Otto too.

I wish John would learn how to be a roleplayer at this point, but his career is declining significantly at this rate. Some of it's physical, but a lot of it's due to basketball IQ stuff that goes back as far as everybody eats.

I'm not sure if Brad signed off on it but he could probably see that Wall was on thin ice. It seemed like Wall didn't give a good apology to the organization based on this interview- I understand it wasn't that big of a deal but it's another thing to say that to the person who writes your checks.

I think the party incident was the tipping point - not to mention that he missed a good portion of 3-4 seasons. Plus Westbrook wanting out facilitated a trade that the Wizards don't regret at the moment given they still have Kuzma who is outproducing Wall. You could argue even Monte Morris is having a better season.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#636 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Confirms Brad pretty much signed off on it, which is w/e in hindsight but yea. It's probably better he was traded before the home town fans had to witness his decline here.

I'm not sure if Brad signed off on it but he could probably see that Wall was on thin ice. It seemed like Wall didn't give a good apology to the organization based on this interview- I understand it wasn't that big of a deal but it's another thing to say that to the person who writes your checks.

I think the party incident was the tipping point - not to mention that he missed a good portion of 3-4 seasons. Plus Westbrook wanting out facilitated a trade that the Wizards don't regret at the moment given they still have Kuzma who is outproducing Wall. You could argue even Monte Morris is having a better season.

I laughed out loud when John described how Russ was in his DMs asking for his phone number so that he could find out what was going on.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#637 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:21 pm

Yeah. Wall left DC still loved. Had he stayed here, that love might have faded with the significant decline is his game. And lets not act like his last 2 years here were anything but terribly disappointing. Those cheers would have eventually flipped to boos.

In retrospect, him staying would have forced the Wizards to rebuild in 2020 instead of having that meaningless play-in run with Russ. Imagine how different things could have been. We could have drafted Deni with the 4th pick instead of drafting Deni with the 9th pick. #missedopportunities
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#638 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:30 pm

Dat2U wrote:In retrospect, him staying would have forced the Wizards to rebuild in 2020 instead of having that meaningless play-in run with Russ. Imagine how different things could have been. We could have drafted Deni with the 4th pick instead of drafting Deni with the 9th pick. #missedopportunities

Didn't the futile Westbrook run ruin the tank in the following season? Westbrook resulted in us landing Kispert instead of, say, Wagner or Barnes.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#639 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:32 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:In retrospect, him staying would have forced the Wizards to rebuild in 2020 instead of having that meaningless play-in run with Russ. Imagine how different things could have been. We could have drafted Deni with the 4th pick instead of drafting Deni with the 9th pick. #missedopportunities

Didn't the futile Westbrook run ruin the tank in the following season? Westbrook resulted in us landing Kispert instead of, say, Wagner or Barnes.

Yup- rookie Deni played with Westbrook.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#640 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:32 am

John talking about the Rockets is crazy

From Harden being checked out to mentoring the young guys like state, Green, Martin, Porter, etc to Stephen Silas relaying the front office only wanted him to play 10-15 minutes, his routine…

Return to Washington Wizards