Post#1 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 4, 2021 4:06 am

Dude has been playing well.
Ingles is cooked.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Re: Trent Forrest-PGOTF? 

Post#2 » by Charlie_S » Tue May 4, 2021 5:16 am

He has certainly been looking better than Oni these past few games. I like his quickness, hustle and overall poise, if he can ever develop into a respectable shooter on open looks he can definitely become a useful NBA player.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#3 » by Crunch 99 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:42 pm

Much of his game is coming along nicely, but he's only at 25% on three point fg%. That's a problem. Maybe he will improve that percentage; I don't know.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#4 » by zero24gravity » Tue May 4, 2021 11:08 pm

Charlie_S wrote:He has certainly been looking better than Oni these past few games. I like his quickness, hustle and overall poise, if he can ever develop into a respectable shooter on open looks he can definitely become a useful NBA player.

Oni appeared to have fallen behind Ily recently, then got in the game the other night & busted his a$$. Was diving for loose balls & defending hard. Hopefully was a wake up call that pays off. With that said, it's good to have a number of young & hungry players that when getting opportunities are playing hard. I don't know if Oni or Forrest is better or more valuable at this point, but good to have each depending on the situation. ... and I'm still waiting for more regular Brantley sightings during meaningful game minutes! :)

I do like the poise that Forrest plays with, and his size at the point spot. He's gotta get confidence in that 3 point shot. Can't pass them up. Everyone is expected to let them fly, when open, unless your name is Gobert.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#5 » by Catchall » Thu May 6, 2021 5:07 am

Forrest has a role as a backup PG. He reminds me a little of Howard Eisley as a first or second-year player.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#6 » by Crunch 99 » Thu May 6, 2021 1:42 pm

I heard an interview with one of the assistant coaches last night on radio at halftime, and he said Forrest's good play has been a huge factor these last couple of games to take some pressure off Joe Ingles while Conley and Mitchell are out. Forrest is allowing Ingles to expend closer to his normal amount of energy, and Ingles is more effective this way.

The coach also noted that Forrest can be on the floor the same time as Ingles, which allows Ingles to work his magic as part of the half court offense without having to bring the ball up the floor. Forrest and Ingles were both on the floor the first 4:31 of Q2 when a lineup comprised of Gobert, Niang, Ingles, Oni and Forrest held the Spurs to just three points and the Jazz gained plus 14 points. The coach said that Trent Forrest's defense has been great.

Forrest and Oni both had 6 rebs in 21 or fewer minutes of play last night. That's some nice rebounding from the guard line!

In game lineups at the popcorn machine:
http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20210505&game=SASUTH
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#7 » by Crunch 99 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:15 am

Now Forrest is only at 16.7% fg% on threes for the season and the Blazers stopped guarding him on the three point line. :(

He does other things reasonably well --- defends, rebounds, drives to the basket and passes, but his inability to hit a wide open three at a remotely acceptable percentage could be a career killer. Maybe he will improve, but his outside shot looks pretty shaky.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#8 » by zero24gravity » Thu May 13, 2021 6:38 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Now Forrest is only at 16.7% fg% on threes for the season and the Blazers stopped guarding him on the three point line. :(

He does other things reasonably well --- defends, rebounds, drives to the basket and passes, but his inability to hit a wide open three at a remotely acceptable percentage could be a career killer. Maybe he will improve, but his shot looks pretty shaky.

Agree with all this. You need to be exceptionally good at other things to be able to get away with that level of 3 point ugly, especially on the Jazz. I like a lot about Forrest, but his offseason HAS to be improving that outside shot, if he wants to stick.

Speaking of 3 point shooting... Matt Thomas is shooting 26% on 3's as a Jazzman. WTF?
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#9 » by JazzyPhinz » Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 am

Good size and defense. I like his pace with the ball. But damn that Chuck Hayes jump shot will prevent him from being a rotation player in the association
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#10 » by MalonesElbows » Sat May 15, 2021 6:07 pm

He's better than Oni, but that's not saying much.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#11 » by dr0welf » Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 am

JazzyPhinz wrote:Good size and defense. I like his pace with the ball. But damn that Chuck Hayes jump shot will prevent him from being a rotation player in the association

True, but Oneal had a horrible shot his rookie year too and now he is over 40%. As a rookie he seems calm and collected and this is just the start of his career. I like his chances of being atleast a solid backup PG.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#12 » by Charlie_S » Mon May 17, 2021 9:14 am

dr0welf wrote:
JazzyPhinz wrote:Good size and defense. I like his pace with the ball. But damn that Chuck Hayes jump shot will prevent him from being a rotation player in the association

True, but Oneal had a horrible shot his rookie year too and now he is over 40%. As a rookie he seems calm and collected and this is just the start of his career. I like his chances of being atleast a solid backup PG.

Royce was never a natural shooter and it still shows sometimes (in last year's playoffs he was clearly afraid to take open shots), but he was never the kind of non-shooter Forrest is. Not saying he can't do it, in fact I really hope he does since I like what he brings to the table, but to develop from where he's at now to a somewhat decent level he needs to make a big jump.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,924

Post#13 » by tugs » Thu May 20, 2021 3:34 am

If Shawn Marion was able to shoot at a decent clip, I won't be too worried with Forrest, especially with all the advancement in shooting trainings available and having teammates who can work with him

That is, if he's willing to put in the work
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#14 » by dr0welf » Sat May 22, 2021 9:08 pm

tugs wrote:If Shawn Marion was able to shoot at a decent clip, I won't be too worried with Forrest, especially with all the advancement in shooting trainings available and having teammates who can work with him

That is, if he's willing to put in the work

By all reports Forrest is a sponge and is constantly trying to better his game by watch and asking those on the team like Spida, Conley, JC, and even coaches. I think he will be fine. I believe its up to him if he wants to become starter capable or not. He has many of the attributes needed he just has some rough patches in his game still. But he is only a rookie so he holds his own destiny.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#15 » by Winglish » Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 pm

God help us all if this is a thing! Ugh...just...no!

Sent from my SM-G991U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz