Official 2020-2021 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Re: Official 2020-2021 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#181 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 pm

wco81 wrote:Sure they could do that.

But do you think most owners feel that way?

There are several teams who probably feel they've been victim to unfair officiating. But the NBA is on trying to negotiate at least triple the current TV contract, to start in the 2024 or 2025 season.

I bet owners care a lot more about that. They want to win rings but they want to make money more.

Unfortunately, the NBA needs high TV ratings, especially in the playoffs including the Finals. Warriors had good ratings in their Finals series every year until the last one, vs. Toronto. That set TV ratings records in Canada but not so much in the US.

Ratings for last year's Finals weren't that great even with the Lakers playing. But odds are better with them or some other big market team involved.

You are correct but Championships raise your teams profile and overall value which team owners also care about, and likely even more. The more the successful the team the more money you make.
Ingles is cooked.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#182 » by wco81 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:27 pm

I don't think the NBA, especially playoffs officiating, has been a level field for a long time.

I tend to believe Donaghy.

But still a fan anyways because the players are still great, even if they're robbed or protected, depending on your POV.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#183 » by Catchall » Sun May 16, 2021 2:06 am

Kings are holding out a bunch of players tomorrow against the Jazz -- Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Bagley, Holmes, even Justin James. I don't see how the players that are left can realistically score 100 pts. I guess we'll see.

Jazz should cruise to a win and wrap up the #1 seed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#184 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun May 16, 2021 8:39 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:This board, myself included, have been kind of funny this year. In other years, we would have been ecstatic about the prospect of being not only the #1 seed in the West, but overall. This year, however, there has been a muted response and not as much excitement throughout the season. Almost like, not completely buying into how good the Jazz have been this year and waiting for the bottom to drop out.

Once the season (including playoffs) are over, I'll post a very long explanation as to why I've lost interest.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#185 » by tugs » Sun May 16, 2021 9:55 am

Catchall wrote:Kings are holding out a bunch of players tomorrow against the Jazz -- Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Bagley, Holmes, even Justin James. I don't see how the players that are left can realistically score 100 pts. I guess we'll see.

I'm excited to see extended minutes for the second and third stringers, though. Ersan, Niang, Forrest, Oni, and Thomas need the reps in case they are called upon in the playoffs, and the young guys Brantley, Azebuike need experience
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#186 » by stitches » Sun May 16, 2021 12:48 pm

Catchall wrote:Kings are holding out a bunch of players tomorrow against the Jazz -- Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Bagley, Holmes, even Justin James. I don't see how the players that are left can realistically score 100 pts. I guess we'll see.

This is old Jazz special. Remember when Pablo Prigioni, Cole Aldrich and Jamal Crawford punked us in our bid for playoffs in 2016?
tugs
RealGM

Re: Game 72: Utah Jazz (51-20) @ Sacramento Kings (31-40) 

Post#187 » by tugs » Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 am

Don't want to start a new thread but what are your thoughts on the potential playoff rotation?
Catchall
RealGM

Post#188 » by Catchall » Mon May 17, 2021 4:48 am

tugs wrote:Don't want to start a new thread but what are your thoughts on the potential playoff rotation?

Probably an 8-man rotation, with Niang potentially getting spot minutes. Oni, Forrest and Ilyasova probably won't get time, unless it's situational.

Rudy / Favors
Royce / Niang
Bojan / Ingles
Mitchell / Clarkson
Conley / Mitchell
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tugs
RealGM

Post#189 » by tugs » Mon May 17, 2021 5:59 am

Catchall wrote:
tugs wrote:Don't want to start a new thread but what are your thoughts on the potential playoff rotation?

Probably an 8-man rotation, with Niang potentially getting spot minutes. Oni, Forrest and Ilyasova probably won't get time, unless it's situational.

Rudy / Favors
Royce / Niang
Bojan / Ingles
Mitchell / Clarkson
Conley / Mitchell
Would be hard to tinker with what's been working but I suppose Donovan over Joe again to start?

The thing that has been pretty effective with starting Joe and Niang is the size advantage Jazz had. Sure Mike and Mitchell are quick and athletic but those couple of inches difference would make a difference

Probably just overthinking this
Catchall
RealGM

Post#190 » by Catchall » Mon May 17, 2021 6:02 am

tugs wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Rudy / Favors
Royce / Niang
Bojan / Ingles
Mitchell / Clarkson
Conley / Mitchell
Would be hard to tinker with what's been working but I suppose Donovan over Joe again to start?

The thing that has been pretty effective with starting Joe and Niang is the size advantage Jazz had. Sure Mike and Mitchell are quick and athletic but those couple of inches difference would make a difference

Ingles' and Niang's lack of athleticism will likely show up in the playoffs. They both need to come off the bench.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#191 » by vryadli » Mon May 17, 2021 6:31 am

stitches wrote:

This is old Jazz special. Remember when Pablo Prigioni, Cole Aldrich and Jamal Crawford punked us in our bid for playoffs in 2016?

It is difficult to forget. I just mentioned that on loss to Portland. But the current Jazz is much stronger, so they need stonger opponent to demonstrate that special. This season the,y had a few good game against strongest opponents, but nothing that could be called "overachieving". Moreover, I have a feeling that if one take only games with top 15 and with comparable amount of injuries Jazz will sit rather low.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#192 » by Catchall » Mon May 17, 2021 6:32 am

stitches wrote:

Kings ended with 99 points. Clearly I was right.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#193 » by red4hf » Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 am

Catchall wrote:
tugs wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Rudy / Favors
Royce / Niang
Bojan / Ingles
Mitchell / Clarkson
Conley / Mitchell

Ingles' and Niang's lack of athleticism will likely show up in the playoffs. They both need to come off the bench.

I think Niang will continue to see his same number of minutes, his shooting is just too valuable, when he's on...... But they should only play him with Gobert, who can cover up his defensive mistakes much better than Favors......
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#194 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:43 pm

Congratulations Jazz on finishing with the number one seed!
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#195 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:57 pm

The Jazz had a relatively soft schedule the last part of this season, but they went 10-6 with Mitchell out, 6-4 with both Mitchell and Conley out and they managed to hold on to the top seed. That's a good accomplishment imo. Go Jazz!
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#196 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Utah Jazz wing Joe Ingles has no business leading the NBA in this one stat
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31389506/utah-jazz-wing-joe-ingles-no-business-leading-nba-one-stat

Joe's march to an all time, high shooting percentage was brought to an end imo by Joe having to try to help make up for the loss of two All Star ball handler/scorers. At almost 34 years old and not being the fastest guy on the court to begin with, it was a big ask of Joe to play starter minutes night in and night out as our primary ball handler and to try to keep up his historic shooting percentage. Joe played his butt off though and the Jazz managed to hold on to the top seed.

I don't think our first playoff game is until next Sunday?, so Joe can get some rest and hopefully resume his role as an effective part time ball handler and high percentage shooter off the bench. Go Jazz!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#197 » by zero24gravity » Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm

Now that's it's official the Jazz are the #1 seed in the playoffs .... what will their prize be for a great season; Lakers or Warriors? (Don't think for a second Memphis or SA will get it.) To be champs, you have to beat everyone, but I'm still hoping it's the Warriors. Getting a LBJ & Davis led Laker team in round one would be brutal, while the other side of the bracket would be Pho, Port, Den & probably GS. Ugh. Punished for being 1st?

Meanwhile, in the Least, the Hawks & Heat are in, while TWO teams that don't even have a winning record will get in; Celtics, Wizards, Pacers, Hornets. Last year it was fine, due to circumstances surrounding the bubble, but I think the play-in is a terrible idea. It makes zero sense that due to 2 play in games, the 33-39 Spurs could get in over 42-30 Lakers, who are tied with the Blazers who are in. Still, if they are going to do it, get rid of the conference affiliation for the last spots, and let the "best" the playoff fringe teams figure it out on the court.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#198 » by Catchall » Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 pm

red4hf wrote:
Catchall wrote:
tugs wrote:Would be hard to tinker with what's been working but I suppose Donovan over Joe again to start?

I think Niang will continue to see his same number of minutes, his shooting is just too valuable, when he's on...... But they should only play him with Gobert, who can cover up his defensive mistakes much better than Favors......

Niang has been shooting with a lot of confidence, both on the corners and at the top of the circle. I agree that he'll play, unless there's a matchup that's just disadvantageous.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#199 » by wco81 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 am

Yeah I don't want the Warriors to face the Jazz but that seems a good probability.

I think the Jazz would handle the Warriors relatively easily if Mitchell and Conley are healthy and regain their season form.

In later rounds, better teams are going to force the Jazz role players to make shots. They obviously did during the season but playoffs can sometimes test role players who've had great seasons.

Then the other thing they have to fight is against bigger names and bigger market clubs, whether they will get any kind of level playing field officiating.
tugs
RealGM

Post#200 » by tugs » Tue May 18, 2021 5:39 am

And is it just me but Niang got some springs in his legs the past couple of games? He's been handling the ball well and aggressive with his drives

Return to Utah Jazz