ImageImageImageImageImage

2020/2021 general thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Re: 2020/2021 general thread 

Post#81 » by Lost in LA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:13 pm

Fox out for 2 weeks, this should help the tank.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#82 » by kalenclayton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Lost in LA wrote:Fox out for 2 weeks, this should help the tank.

I’m excited to see what Haliburton can do as a full-time PG. Unfortunately, Walton will probably screw that one by starting Wright or something stupid like that.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#83 » by BoogieTime » Tue May 4, 2021 12:48 am

Something seems a bit off about the Kings not sharing word on Haliburton’s MRI by now..

Team is snake bitten, just hope it’s nothing career altering
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#84 » by Lost in LA » Tue May 4, 2021 2:53 am

You generally want to leave any bruising or swelling subside before having the MRI
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#85 » by nolang1 » Thu May 6, 2021 1:07 am

OGSactownballer wrote:They can dump the rest of the season and have a better than even chance at a good pick or the ability to trade up.

I posted a question about that on the T and T board. I expect the usual clowns but also would like a true opinion as I see Mobley as the third core guy with Fox and Hali and I think that they should do what they need (or move future pick/s and other assets) to do to secure at least the #2 pick to get him.

I really don't, and if the Kings got the #2 pick I'd love to see them trade it to a team that views Mobley as a surefire star. Mobley's shooting is no better than Bagley's was coming out of college (probably worse considering Mobley was quite a bit older as a freshman) so I don't see him becoming some major plus as an offensive weapon, and anyone that young and skinny is going to struggle defensively for at least a couple years.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#86 » by wco81 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 pm

It looks like the Kings will finish a couple of games out of the last play-in spot.

Was it worth it making a push to get into the play-in game or tank for a better draft position? Kings may end up around #10.

http://www.tankathon.com

I don't recall when Fox got injured, probably after the trade deadline? If he'd gotten injured before, maybe the Kings don't try to make a push for the play-in slots?

Kings for instance might have been able to get some assets to get out of the Barnes contract, which runs for two more years.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#87 » by SmellingColors » Sun May 16, 2021 4:08 pm

wco81 wrote:

It looks like the Kings will finish a couple of games out of the last play-in spot.

Was it worth it making a push to get into the play-in game or tank for a better draft position? Kings may end up around #10.

http://www.tankathon.com

I don't recall when Fox got injured, probably after the trade deadline? If he'd gotten injured before, maybe the Kings don't try to make a push for the play-in slots?

Kings for instance might have been able to get some assets to get out of the Barnes contract, which runs for two more years.

It definitely was not worth it especially since it looks like it's going to save Walton's job along with the later draft pick.

The frustrating thing though is that they really made the push after Fox went out. I figured we'd just tank from there, but they didn't.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#88 » by wco81 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 am

So Walton is officially retained and there are hints that some of the reasons had to do with financial ones.

But I don't necessarily know who would have been better. Likely it would have been another assistant or someone who got fired in the last year or two.

Hope the Kings aren't feeling financial constraints just a couple of years after building a new arena.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by kalenclayton » Tue May 18, 2021 3:47 am

wco81 wrote:So Walton is officially retained and there are hints that some of the reasons had to do with financial ones.

But I don't necessarily know who would have been better. Likely it would have been another assistant or someone who got fired in the last year or two.

Hope the Kings aren't feeling financial constraints just a couple of years after building a new arena.

If someone notable gets fired and would listen to a Kings pitch, I’m sure this would be talked about again. Imagine if D’Antoni was receptive to coaching the Kings? What about Stotts? These guys would be great improvements that McNair wouldn’t be able to say no to. The wonder really comes from the candidates. Do they actually want to come to Sac and get micromanaged by Vivek?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#90 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue May 18, 2021 10:34 pm

Purgatory.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#91 » by Lost in LA » Wed May 19, 2021 2:42 am

Monte's presser did not instill confidence
Beteo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#92 » by Beteo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:25 pm

kalenclayton wrote:If someone notable gets fired and would listen to a Kings pitch, I’m sure this would be talked about again. Imagine if D’Antoni was receptive to coaching the Kings? What about Stotts? These guys would be great improvements that McNair wouldn’t be able to say no to. The wonder really comes from the candidates. Do they actually want to come to Sac and get micromanaged by Vivek?

You are right that they would be an improvement. And I would even argue that some of them would do so but you are right that they may think twice about it (maybe if they just do not find an other team). So difficult these past years....
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#93 » by City of Trees » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Sounds like Richaun knows he won't be back

Read on Twitter
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 am

City of Trees wrote:Sounds like Richaun knows he won't be back

Read on Twitter

Sounds like an idiotic move by McNair. You only keep Holmes at the deadline if you are going to keep him long term. Holmes was an asset at the time. Instead, they chose the pipe dream of making the playoffs. I will be livid if Holmes walks not only because he would be a wasted asset, but because he’s my favorite player on the team. Ugh.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#95 » by City of Trees » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:17 am

kalenclayton wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sounds like an idiotic move by McNair. You only keep Holmes at the deadline if you are going to keep him long term. Holmes was an asset at the time. Instead, they chose the pipe dream of making the playoffs. I will be livid if Holmes walks not only because he would be a wasted asset, but because he’s my favorite player on the team. Ugh.

Holmes wasn't much of an asset at the deadline.

He was a half season rental to competing teams - you're not getting anything of value in return. Also he was of no value to a team who wanted to resign him because bird rights would have carried over and limited that team just as the Kings are now.

It sucks he's leaving but let's not paint the picture of some dreadful failure by Monte because it's really not.

Blame the guy who offered the 2 year deal.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 am

City of Trees wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Read on Twitter

He was a half season rental to competing teams - you're not getting anything of value in return. Also he was of no value to a team who wanted to resign him because bird rights would have carried over and limited that team just as the Kings are now.

It sucks he's leaving but let's not paint the picture of some dreadful failure by Monte because it's really not.

I’m just thinking that a first was for sure on the table from a contender. Teams needed bigs. Maybe it was a really late first, but I would think that would have been the best route if you thought Holmes wasn’t being assured a contract (that’s well-deserved). Maybe I’m wrong in thinking a deal was out there, but I seriously believe he could’ve made a large impact on many of the contenders.

I can’t even be mad at Vlade about the 2-year deal. It looked like a fantastic deal at the time and I’m not sure many thought he’d be this good. I was a big believer, but I thought he was more of a really high impact bench big coming in. I was so pleasantly surprised. I love this dude. I love cheering for him. Losing him will hit me almost as bad as when Boogie was traded… maybe even worse. The difference is that I’ve never had anything bad to say about Richaun.

I’m crossing my fingers that McNair does what he can re-sign Richaun. If he can do it (without making it ridiculous), then I will be happy with him. If not, I will be pretty pissed because he losing players I love rooting for (Bogi, Holmes) for absolutely nothing.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#97 » by City of Trees » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:19 am

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Sounds like an idiotic move by McNair. You only keep Holmes at the deadline if you are going to keep him long term. Holmes was an asset at the time. Instead, they chose the pipe dream of making the playoffs. I will be livid if Holmes walks not only because he would be a wasted asset, but because he’s my favorite player on the team. Ugh.

I’m just thinking that a first was for sure on the table from a contender. Teams needed bigs. Maybe it was a really late first, but I would think that would have been the best route if you thought Holmes wasn’t being assured a contract (that’s well-deserved). Maybe I’m wrong in thinking a deal was out there, but I seriously believe he could’ve made a large impact on many of the contenders.

I can’t even be mad at Vlade about the 2-year deal. It looked like a fantastic deal at the time and I’m not sure many thought he’d be this good. I was a big believer, but I thought he was more of a really high impact bench big coming in. I was so pleasantly surprised. I love this dude. I love cheering for him. Losing him will hit me almost as bad as when Boogie was traded… maybe even worse. The difference is that I’ve never had anything bad to say about Richaun.

I’m crossing my fingers that McNair does what he can re-sign Richaun. If he can do it (without making it ridiculous), then I will be happy with him. If not, I will be pretty pissed because he losing players I love rooting for (Bogi, Holmes) for absolutely nothing.

I didn't hear of any teams offering a 1st for Holmes at the deadline. Both you and I are left to assume. Can't really argue either way here.

Losing Bogi for nothing was a one off, Monte did have DD coming back which IMO was a great return.

I feel your pain but I can't blame Monte
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#98 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am

Keep in mind that there are a lot of potential dominoes yet to fall here before free agency.

As well you have to look at it this way. If you have to move Richaun in a S & T but what someone else is willing to pay is too rich for our situation, and you get back a key piece that fits and makes sense at that price, you make that move and don’t think twice.

No matter how much we all love Richaun’s hustle and heart - and I was the single biggest advocate of bringing him here BEFORE he came and showed out - he is still a LIMITED ROLE PLAYER in the grand scheme of where he would be in the pecking order if a contending team.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#99 » by City of Trees » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:15 pm

Bobby Marks has Terrance Davis in the $4-6M range. Richaun Holmes $12-14M. I'd resign both without question.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Post#100 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 pm

City of Trees wrote:Bobby Marks has Terrance Davis in the $4-6M range. Richaun Holmes $12-14M. I'd resign both without question.

Is there enough minutes for Fox, Mitchell, Hali, Wright, Davis too all play?

I'm thinking Buddy is gone and it comes down to Wright/Davis.

I get that Davis is cheaper/younger/better shooter than Wright, but I have a feeling Wrights length/defense is going to make him more valuable to us.

I guess it depends what offers come. If Delon has some value or we can move for a wing then sure we can bring Davis back. But if we commit to all 5 boy we are going to be playing some smalllll ball.

Fox (34) Mitchell (14)
Hali (34) Mitchell (14)
Wright (30) Davis (18)

Can we commit to Wright/Davis as the SFs? Otherwise its tough to see where the minutes come for him.

Return to Sacramento Kings