ImageImageImage

last game of the regular season with some lottery impact

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

last game of the regular season with some lottery impact 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Sun May 16, 2021 4:06 pm

BKN can't get the 1 seed even with a win over CLE today with Philly holding tie breaker even if Philly loses today resting players against ORL.
But BKN has motivation to avoid Miami in the first round as the Nets can lose the 2 seed if they lose to CLE and the Bucks beat CHI. and if Philly rests everyone and loses to ORL
then the Cavs with a loss will then be tied with ORL for the 4 seed and Orlando swept the series with the Cavs so technically the Cavs hold 4th outright. ORL 5 MIN 6 etc.
The only other impact for CLE in a loss is if OKC somehow beats LAC esp with Denver holding the tie breaker over LAC reducing the LAC incentive to play Kawhi and opens up a 3 way tie again with an OKC victory with CLE after a loss and Orlando after a win where any one of the 3 can be the 3 seed and they split the 2 reg season games requiring a coin flip

So the Cavs can still move up to 4 or 5 pretty easy with a loss and an ORL win but with a win can't fall past 6th not matter what.

Also incentive in a Miami loss to Detroit could push the 2nd place into play for ORL and OKC with losses as well but it is not in reach for CLE.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Re: last game of the regular season with some lottery impact 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 1:17 am

5th at best by the looks of it oh well probably pick 7th and miss on the top chalk options
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 am

That win against Boston really hurt. We could've been in a three way tie for the 3rd slot. We're probably in a two way tie for 5th slot.

The Magic only played six guys today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 1:59 am

what makes it even worse is had Orlando won along with OKC winning which OKC is doing with LAC resting everyone they would have been 3rd or 4th at worst all because of that one stupid KLove showcase...they better trade him after this sht
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:27 am

Stillwater wrote:what makes it even worse is had Orlando won along with OKC winning which OKC is doing with LAC resting everyone they would have been 3rd or 4th at worst all because of that one stupid KLove showcase...they better trade him after this sht
When you're the second worst three point shooting team in the NBA, I think it's going to be awfully difficult to find a K. Love trade that makes you better, especially when you consider the type of contracts other teams would want to send back and/or the assets you'd have to attach him.

Also, we still should've been able to lose that game with Love scoring 30. Clearly, there was no must lose order from the front office.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 2:47 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:what makes it even worse is had Orlando won along with OKC winning which OKC is doing with LAC resting everyone they would have been 3rd or 4th at worst all because of that one stupid KLove showcase...they better trade him after this sht
When you're the second worst three point shooting team in the NBA, I think it's going to be awfully difficult to find a K. Love trade that makes you better, especially when you consider the type of contracts other teams would want to send back and/or the assets you'd have to attach him.

Also, we still should've been able to lose that game with Love scoring 30. Clearly, there was no must lose order from the front office.

well the one good thing is the Wolves are not caring about 5th or 6th with pick going to GSW and are beating Dallas as we speak so the Cavs are 5th not 6th if that holds.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#7 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon May 17, 2021 3:10 am

OKC won and it seems likely MIN will win.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 3:11 am

fkn OKC won lol now the Boston win really hurts
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:12 am

We need to win the coin flip because usually at least one team jumps up into the top 3.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 3:21 am

wolves won too
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 am

so the coin flip I guess is Cavs and OKC for the 4th or 5th. We split the series not sure if they use any other stats to determine it besides the coin
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 3:26 am

Here is my first pre lottery draw mock where Cavs take BPA and trade into 2nd to get a upside forward that slides
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/849048/
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:03 am

Suggs won't last to 5, but if he does, I'm trading the pick or taking Barnes. Suggs only shoots .337 from three and is only listed at 6'4" in shoes. If this team doesn't get better defending the three and making three point shots, we'll be right back in the same spot at the end of next season.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 am

jbk1234 wrote:Suggs won't last to 5, but if he does, I'm trading the pick or taking Barnes. Suggs only shoots .337 from three and is only listed at 6'4" in shoes. If this team doesn't get better defending the three and making three point shots, we'll be right back in the same spot at the end of next season.

Thats a good guess as to what they probably would do trade down if Suggs is there, but imo this guy is so athletic he will be a defensive magnet and create a ton of looks for current shooters. If we can get Windler back healthy next season to add to the depth chart of capable shooters which I know is a tad thin at the moment beside DG and Sexton along with Love and Wade and Prince .I just having that freak athlete at the 1 drawing double teams is a no brainer.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:20 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Suggs won't last to 5, but if he does, I'm trading the pick or taking Barnes. Suggs only shoots .337 from three and is only listed at 6'4" in shoes. If this team doesn't get better defending the three and making three point shots, we'll be right back in the same spot at the end of next season.

Thats a good guess as to what they probably would do trade down if Suggs is there, but imo this guy is so athletic he will be a defensive magnet and create a ton of looks for current shooters. If we can get Windler back healthy next season to add to the depth chart of capable shooters which I know is a tad thin at the moment beside DG and Sexton along with Love and Wade and Prince .I just having that freak athlete at the 1 drawing double teams is a no brainer.
I don't see Suggs as a freak athlete or a great defender. His performance against Baylor wasn't pretty and he'll face even more athletic guards in the NBA on a nightly basis.

But that's a bit besides the point because the Cavs need to get longer at the perimeter so they can contest three point shots. With Allen at center, he can contest at the rim. PNR defense is the most important aspect of defense for guards and going over the pick so you can bother the shooter is something that needs to happen next year.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 11:27 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I don't see Suggs as a freak athlete or a great defender. His performance against Baylor wasn't pretty and he'll face even more athletic guards in the NBA on a nightly basis.

But that's a bit besides the point because the Cavs need to get longer at the perimeter so they can contest three point shots. With Allen at center, he can contest at the rim. PNR defense is the most important aspect of defense for guards and going over the pick so you can bother the shooter is something that needs to happen next year.

Yep Barnes would be great for defense and he brings the ball up the floor and runs sets too
Cant imagine how good he can be if his shot starts falling . But i have same trust in Kuminga
becoming a legit pro and the work to improve his shot seems farther along.
Mobley isnt a great shooter himself but the length and mobility make him special with the energy and potential being high.
Green is an iso guy and damn good at it not a good fit at all if hes 6'4 defensively either.
Suggs is overrated but he is a freak athlete and a legit floor general who will attract entire defenses like ja and others of that mold do where once the shooting improves easily best player from the draft along with Green who is also explosive
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#17 » by Mind_Odyssey » Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 am

Don’t focus on making a team that fits.

Draft the best player available. This entire roster could be blown up in 2 years. Get core pieces because we don’t have any. Unless you want to be Sacramento / Orlando the next decade.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Mon May 17, 2021 11:33 am

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Don’t focus on making a team that fits.

Draft the best player available. This entire roster could be blown up in 2 years. Get core pieces because we don’t have any. Unless you want to be Sacramento / Orlando the next decade.

In the 3rd year of lottery drafting bpa without any fit considered is unlikely with all top 6 players having decent upside and good floors
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#19 » by toooskies » Mon May 17, 2021 2:01 pm

If you go BPA and take another guard, you need to trade one of Garland/Sexton/Okoro, and since the other team knows you need to trade one of them, you're probably losing the trade, negating the difference between BPA and a similar tier guy with better fit.

At the very least we could trade with OKC for future picks.

It's all cart before the horse without knowing where exactly we'll draft, though.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:56 pm

toooskies wrote:

If you go BPA and take another guard, you need to trade one of Garland/Sexton/Okoro, and since the other team knows you need to trade one of them, you're probably losing the trade, negating the difference between BPA and a similar tier guy with better fit.

At the very least we could trade with OKC for future picks.

It's all cart before the horse without knowing where exactly we'll draft, though.
The other thing with doing BPA at this point is you better be darn sure it's an upgrade. If you believe there's a legit No. 1 at guard, sure take him. But if he's the BPA, and you're not sure he projects as a better player than who you already have, think about trading back and picking up multiple pick, or young guys and a pick.

FWIW, I think Allen and Garland are long-term starters on a good team.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers