ImageImageImage

Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Re: Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19) 

Post#641 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 am

JHTruth wrote:I've always found the Tacko thing an embarrassment to the team and to Tacko. Now I'm not sure he minds that much as Tackomania is the reason he gets to pretend he's an NBA player and fly around with the team and live the NBA livestyle but man, what a circus. It's like he should have his own walk-out music when he enters the game. I imagine it is what the old freak shows were like back in the day. I mean we get it he's really really tall. Soo cringe when everyone cheers when he comes on.

At least guys like Sean Bradley could play a little. Tacko is basically a statue in the paint. It can be somewhat effective for a minute or two but he can't move so guys quickly figure it out.

I really hope the team is able to move on. I doubt it though. It's about the only thing the fans feel good about right now

I think he can be better than what he's shown. But unlike Mo Bama he wasn't a top 10 pick. But like Mo, I don't know how much work he's put into his game. My thing with Tacko is he needs to focus on what he can do well which is to protect the paint and set screens and picks for others. I thought after his performance against Duke that he had potential in the NBA even though the defensive rules are different but that hasn't been the case yet. I also think that the covid thing really hurt his development as the team didnt practiced much and the g league was cancelled. I hope he's back and we can see what progress he can make with a normal offseason. Lastly, I'd say that he still hasn't been playing hoops for too many years and he still young enough where he can contribute when the game at this level slows down a bit for him. If he he can get his collegiate and g league game to the NBA he'll have value.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#642 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon May 17, 2021 1:33 am

Bleeding Green wrote:They can't keep wasting a two-way on a gimmick. This team needs to find a rotation player with one of these two-ways, they keep losing talent at the fringes for no reason. I seriously don't get the upside with this guy, what role do people envision Tacko Fall playing if he reaches his potential (whatever that may be)? Could he ever be more than an 8 mpg regular season 3rd/4th big that you play against very specific matchups? Even if he excels in that role, it's not a valuable role at all.

The hope is that he can translate his collegiate and g league game to the NBA. If he does, he'll stick. If he doesn't he won't. His defense was the reason why CF lost by 1 point to Duke which had 3 1st rounders. His production in the g league got him to make all star recognition. The idea is not a gimmick but to get that production and value to the NBA. Folks here have a long leash on their favorite players, it'd be fair if Tacko got that opportunity too. If it doesn't pan out so be it but some would like to see one more season, a normal season, to see if there is anything there of value. We already know he performs better in practice than in the games. We know bc that's what was reported. It just needs to translate to game time conditions.
That's the Way of the World
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#643 » by chrisab123 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:16 pm

JHTruth wrote:I've always found the Tacko thing an embarrassment to the team and to Tacko. Now I'm not sure he minds that much as Tackomania is the reason he gets to pretend he's an NBA player and fly around with the team and live the NBA livestyle but man, what a circus. It's like he should have his own walk-out music when he enters the game. I imagine it is what the old freak shows were like back in the day. I mean we get it he's really really tall. Soo cringe when everyone cheers when he comes on.

At least guys like Sean Bradley could play a little. Tacko is basically a statue in the paint. It can be somewhat effective for a minute or two but he can't move so guys quickly figure it out.

I really hope the team is able to move on. I doubt it though. It's about the only thing the fans feel good about right now

Brad loves the guy. Expect him back.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#644 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 pm

chrisab123 wrote:

I don't see that by the playing time he's given him. Larranaga is Tacko's coach and friend, however, so if Curm's theory that Brad would be replaced by Jay plays out somehow, then I think Tacko could be back with actual playing time. Otherwise I expect Tacko to get a chance on another NBA team. What he really needs, however, is some toughness drills from a vet NBA bruiser. A summer of that and I think he could be a legit force. (Maybe if he went down to Texas to work out with Perk?)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,731

Post#645 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Now that his 2-way eligibility is done, Tacko can finally focus on his engineering career. Good luck to him.
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,736

Post#646 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Mon May 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Tacko is Business! He will be back! Fans love him. $$$
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,622

Post#647 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 17, 2021 5:23 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Now that his 2-way eligibility is done, Tacko can finally focus on his engineering career. Good luck to him.

It isn't. I think the limit is 3 seasons, not 2.

Also, a crowd-pleaser like him could easily get a nice job playing overseas.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#648 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 17, 2021 5:25 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

I don't see that by the playing time he's given him. Larranaga is Tacko's coach and friend, however, so if Curm's theory that Brad would be replaced by Jay plays out somehow, then I think Tacko could be back with actual playing time. Otherwise I expect Tacko to get a chance on another NBA team. What he really needs, however, is some toughness drills from a vet NBA bruiser. A summer of that and I think he could be a legit force. (Maybe if he went down to Texas to work out with Perk?)

I think his problem is being slow and klutzy, not lacking toughness.

He could use some training from a boxer like Jaylen's grandpa. They emphasize quickness, at least in the upper body, as well as conditioning.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,731

Post#649 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 pm

Can we put to rest the notion that fans come to the games to watch Tacko Fall? He doesn't play.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#650 » by BillessuR6 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Waste of a two-away...Sure, it was a nice marketing gig the first year but it was obvious from the start that he is not an NBA player...
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,952

Post#651 » by 31to6 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:15 pm

If Boban can do it, and Manute Bol, and Muresan, I want another year or two to see if Tacko can.
I know others feel differently. But we could use all the help we can get in terms of size.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#652 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 17, 2021 6:22 pm

My concern with Tacko is klutziness, including:
-- Hands. A lot of rebounds or lobs get bobbled.
-- Shooting, e.g. FTs.
-- Handle. He isn't supposed to have much handle, necessarily, but a center should be able to execute a basic DHO.

I'm not as concerned about BB IQ, foot speed, hops, body control, footwork, or anything like that. They're either good or else balanced against his size. But he seems to be lousy at controlling a basketball with his hands.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,218

Post#653 » by djFan71 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:25 pm

He was bounced around a surprising (to me) amount yesterday. Was easy to move off his spot, lost rebounds in crowds. If you're going to be a stationary player, you need to be able to hold your stationary position some.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,426

Post#654 » by playa-hater » Mon May 17, 2021 7:21 pm

Tacko can have the 15th spot on the roster..who cares. I am much more concerned about Roster spot 08/09/10/11/ 12..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#655 » by JHTruth » Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 pm

djFan71 wrote:He was bounced around a surprising (to me) amount yesterday. Was easy to move off his spot, lost rebounds in crowds. If you're going to be a stationary player, you need to be able to hold your stationary position some.

He has HORRENDOUS hands. Just unreal how a 7'5" guy struggles to secure as many rebounds as he does. Moses Brown is a far superior player
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#656 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 pm

JHTruth wrote:
djFan71 wrote:He was bounced around a surprising (to me) amount yesterday. Was easy to move off his spot, lost rebounds in crowds. If you're going to be a stationary player, you need to be able to hold your stationary position some.

He has HORRENDOUS hands. Just unreal how a 7'5" guy struggles to secure as many rebounds as he does. Moses Brown is a far superior player

Yet, somehow Tacko has managed to be #1 on the team for total rebound %, at 21.3%. So he does manage to hold on to some of those boards.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#657 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 17, 2021 11:10 pm

He might not have enjoyed it, but he probably could have used a few good stints in the G-league, just to get more minutes in. It's not surprising that it sometimes takes him a bit to not seem flustered out there. Still, he's generally productive when he is out there (as Perk has noted).

And I agree re: standing his ground more. He's got the pounds to do it. I think he might be a bit too nice and gentle a guy without specific toughness coaching. (Which is why I like the idea of time spent with a guy like Jaylen's grandpa.)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#658 » by djFan71 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:33 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

He might not have enjoyed it, but he probably could have used a few good stints in the G-league, just to get more minutes in. It's not surprising that it sometimes takes him a bit to not seem flustered out there. Still, he's generally productive when he is out there (as Perk has noted).

And I agree re: standing his ground more. He's got the pounds to do it. I think he might be a bit too nice and gentle a guy without specific toughness coaching. (Which is why I like the idea of time spent with a guy like Jaylen's grandpa.)

Yeah, lack of G league this year hurt him for sure. A boxer coach for balance, etc, would help. But, that high center of gravity might be tough to ever overcome. I've never expected a ton from him - seems like a great dude, works, etc. But, just too slow in both movement and decision making and lacks that mean streak like you say. My niece went to UCF when he was there and a buddy of mine were talking about him pre-draft. I said there was no chance he got drafted, but maybe some sucker team would bet on his height and waste a few years trying to get something out of him on a 2-way....
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#659 » by cloverleaf » Tue May 18, 2021 12:36 am

djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Yeah, lack of G league this year hurt him for sure. A boxer coach for balance, etc, would help. But, that high center of gravity might be tough to ever overcome. I've never expected a ton from him - seems like a great dude, works, etc. But, just too slow in both movement and decision making and lacks that mean streak like you say. My niece went to UCF when he was there and a buddy of mine were talking about him pre-draft. I said there was no chance he got drafted, but maybe some sucker team would bet on his height and waste a few years trying to get something out of him on a 2-way....

It will likely take another year or two, but I think he will make it to some role of utility, which you don't seem to think is in the cards for him. I get it that a high center of gravity can be a challenge, but I really don't see him using his weight against opposing players at all--and he could. If he gets that grounded, I think he doesn't really need more speed or hops than he has. And sure, you can see him still thinking through his moves, but I don't think that's a slow brain--I think it is from it being new to him without him having got enough game reps in.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#660 » by djFan71 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:55 am

cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

It will likely take another year or two, but I think he will make it to some role of utility, which you don't seem to think is in the cards for him. I get it that a high center of gravity can be a challenge, but I really don't see him using his weight against opposing players at all--and he could. If he gets that grounded, I think he doesn't really need more speed or hops than he has. And sure, you can see him still thinking through his moves, but I don't think that's a slow brain--I think it is from it being new to him without him having got enough game reps in.

Totally agree with your points, I don't think it's a mental think, it's totally reps and game feel and game athleticism over hops/speed. He reacts fairly well in shotblocking, but most of the rest is far too slow for the NBA level. He could get there and prove me wrong, but I'd rather use that spot on someone who is maybe 1 thing away from being a legit player (usually shooting), not a whole bunch.

Return to Boston Celtics