ImageImageImageImage

Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC? 

Post#1 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon May 17, 2021 1:15 pm

1 year left on deal.

I'd like him back.

He gets a lot out of players, and I think can teach this young group some things, especially on the defensive end.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Re: Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC? 

Post#2 » by yoyojw17 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:24 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:1 year left on deal.

I'd like him back.

He gets a lot out of players, and I think can teach this young group some things, especially on the defensive end.

Personally, I don't think so. He will be a good coach for a young team as well. We just gotta stay healthy! I love him as a coach.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#3 » by Rick Rolled » Mon May 17, 2021 1:26 pm

This is definitely a legitimate question and I’m very intrigued to see how it plays out.

WeHam are not going to fire Clifford after such a strange, injury riddled season. This is going to come down to how much Clifford wants to deal with a rebuild. If he doesn’t, I’d imagine we get the “mutual parting of ways” within the next couple of weeks.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#4 » by KillMonger » Mon May 17, 2021 1:32 pm

Flip a coin.....if it was up to me clifford would be on the first thing smoking out of here....but people talk about having stability and accountability or whatever word you want to use.....Honestly though for as much as i thought the FO/ownership liked clifford i thought he would've been extended by now(if it's possible) Then again i wouldn't be surprised if Clifford's seat was a bit warm by now
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#5 » by drsd » Mon May 17, 2021 1:37 pm

Of course not. Clifford is very safe. This Magic team made the playoff his first two years and would have again with a healthy Isaac and Fultz.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#6 » by 89Magicfan » Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm

Why would it be? Because some inexperienced young assistant would’ve done better with this group?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,340

Post#7 » by Knightro » Mon May 17, 2021 2:26 pm

If Clifford wants to come back, he'll be back.

I question if he wants to deal with the pain in the ass of what is almost certainly going to be an even younger and more mistake prone team next year.

If the Magic let Ennis and Porter walk and trade away Ross and replace them with three rookies, they are going to roll into next season with like 2 veterans (Harris and MCW) total.

Does Clifford want to deal with that? We'll see.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#8 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 pm

I don’t see Clifford getting fired, but I think resignation is a definite possibility. I don’t think Cliff is the man for the job for a tear-down rebuild
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Post#9 » by The Real Dalic » Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 pm

I hope not. He's a pretty good coach and will have this team more disciplined and better defensively than most other coaches.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,610

Post#10 » by 3ddman23 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:02 pm

One can only hope... but I feel like they bring him back and see if he can get the young guys to play hard and if they don't for the first half of the season they will can him.
GO MAGIC
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#11 » by nicnac215 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:06 pm

I love Cliff. If i am the FO i am offering him a 3 year extension.
jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#12 » by jvdas » Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm

nicnac215 wrote:I love Cliff. If i am the FO i am offering him a 3 year extension.

Dear god, no way this should happen. Only good thing Clifford does is installing the so called "good habits" and having an acceptable defense.

On offense this team was a pain to watch the last years, zero creativity and no proper plays being executed. Give it to Vucevic and pray or let Ross/Bacon chuck contested bs. You don't want the rookies to adapt to that kind of offensive play style because it simply doesn't work.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#13 » by Skin » Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 pm

WeHam won't fire him. But I'm not sure they are capable of finding anyone better.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#14 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon May 17, 2021 4:40 pm

No way Cliff gets fired but it would be interesting if he decides to step down. I honestly don’t see him doing that but who knows. Can’t imagine this season was any fun for players or staff. An absolute roller coaster from start to finish.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Mon May 17, 2021 5:20 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:1 year left on deal.

I'd like him back.

I dont know. But if he does, he has to hire a smarter offensive asst coach to help with development and game plans
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#16 » by The Effect » Mon May 17, 2021 6:21 pm

I doubt hes going anywhere

If he was going to be let go, im guessing they would of done it at the trade deadline, why keep him and force him to tank just to fire him. I think WeHam and clifford have a very good working relationship and they wouldnt screw him over like that
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#17 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:24 pm

He is 110% back.

The players love him and is one of the most respected coaches in the league (no exaggeration).

It will be kinda foolish not to bring him back imo.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#18 » by The Effect » Mon May 17, 2021 6:25 pm

jvdas wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:I love Cliff. If i am the FO i am offering him a 3 year extension.

Dear god, no way this should happen. Only good thing Clifford does is installing the so called "good habits" and having an acceptable defense.

On offense this team was a pain to watch the last years, zero creativity and no proper plays being executed. Give it to Vucevic and pray or let Ross/Bacon chuck contested bs. You don't want the rookies to adapt to that kind of offensive play style because it simply doesn't work.

I think cliff is a good coach as far as having the team focused and prepared, but i think hes way too limited on offense and needs to bring in a better offensive mind to be an assistant because right now, we have nothing as far as set inbound plays, or really too much setup for our guys in the half court. Most of it seems to be either a guy trying to play hero ball (TRoss!) or transistion baskets. We need a guy to come in and install a real offensive gameplan
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#19 » by drsd » Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Teams do not normally let a coach be on their final year, as then players struggle to accept a system that might change the following year.

You hit the nail on the head. It is not, "Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC?", but rather, "How many more years will Coach Clifford be resigned for this off-season?".

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#20 » by Xatticus » Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm

When automation begins to take away coaching jobs, Clifford will be the first to go. The programming requirement to replicate Clifford is fairly rudimentary.

We have entered a new era and I’d greatly prefer that we bring in someone with a better developmental history. I don’t want Clifford discriminating whose development we prioritize. Neither should you, unless it pleases you that MCW, Birch, and Bacon are our biggest developmental successes.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic