Pro Prospect
And1: 240

ROUND 1: Clippers vs. Mavericks Preview Discussion 

Post#1 » by RingColluder » Mon May 17, 2021 3:43 am

In the RS we went 1-2 against them.

Lost 124-73 (yikes) December 27th
Won 109-99 on March 15th
And lost 105-89 on March 17th

I will look at the more recent March games and ignore the December anomaly: (including ESQ's favorite +/- stat)

---
In game 1 we were led by Kawhi Leonard playing 40 minutes, going 9-20 for 8 rebounds, 4 steals (!!) and 22 points on +14. Our super "star" Paul George had a clunker game going 5-18 with 4 turnovers and 4 assists for 15 points and a starting team lineup +/- low of +5.

Marcus Morris had a fantastic +18 and Reggie Jackson in some ways did a great service to the team at +22 5-11 and 12 points, although only 3 assists. We played an 8 man lineup with Patterson playing 7 minutes and Batum and Lou Will both playing 25+ minutes for effective games. Zu also played very nice going 7-8 with 11 rebounds.

This is sort of game Rondo was desperately needed and will be great for.

On the other side, Luka and Porzingis both played great, including an absurd 16 assists and 10 rebounds for Luka to go with 25 pts on 9-23 shooting. The only other notable stat was Tim Hardaway going 8-12, 5-9 from 3 for 21 points. We can't expect that from him every game, but virtually the rest of the team had major clunkers.

To only win by 10 is a bit concerning.

-----

GAME 2: We had many offensive struggles this game. Both PG and Kawhi scored relatively well with 28 for PG (10-20) and Kawhi with 20 (9-21). Kawhi had 7 rebounds and 7 assists to go along with it, although PG had once AGAIN 4 turnovers and 5 assists, continuing the troubling pattern we've seen all season of him having basically the same TO's to assists.

Off nights from both Reggie and Morris, but especially Batum who played 29 minutes and managed only 3 points. Lou Will also had a clunker game but is no longer on the team. This is the type of game that none of our bench showed up which is a worrisome sign.

On the other side, all of the starters on the Mavs had double digit points on great shooting (other than Porzingis who went 5-14 BUT had 13 rebounds).

Once again, Luka Doncic played incredible. 42 points, (16-28) with 6 rebounds and 9 assists. Giving me flashbacks to last year's team.

Losing by 16 points in a game like this is scary with the other main star Porzingis barely giving them anything AND Kawhi and PG both having nice scoring nights.

--

This is a matchup that scares me, and should scare all of us. Luka can easily look like the most complete player on the court at times, and I worry he may take the "next step" This year. We matched up better with the Trailblazers, but the one strength is that their bench continues to be just awful.

We'll need to firing on all cylinders this series against a very very tough team. I can optimistically give us Clippers in 6, but nothing would surprise me including a series loss.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Re: ROUND 1: Clippers vs. Mavericks Preview Discussion 

Post#2 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon May 17, 2021 4:05 am

Mavs starting 5 is all 6-6" or taller. They are physical, unlike the Portland and Phoenix, whom they plays midgets we could take advantage of. Really questionable matchup decision from our part. I would not suprise at all if we lose it.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by RingColluder » Mon May 17, 2021 4:22 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:Mavs starting 5 is all 6-6" or taller. They are physical, unlike the Portland and Phoenix, whom they plays midgets we could take advantage of. Really questionable matchup decision from our part. I would not suprise at all if we lose it.

Zubac is going to be either a huge positive or negative factor. Will look at our matchup against them last playoffs for reference at some point this week.

If we didn't have an answer for Luka (who was INJURED last season) last year, what makes us think we will now? He is truly one of the best players in the NBA right now and on his way to one of the best of all time.. it's like playing against a LeBron or .. I don't know who else in terms of versatility. And Luka has much more talent on this team than LeBron had in those early Cavs years.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#4 » by TheNewEra » Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 am

Hard to use any of the games as a sample but the third game with no Beverly/Ibaka and of course no Rondo. It’s going to be tough without a doubt
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#5 » by TheNewEra » Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 am

RingColluder wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:Mavs starting 5 is all 6-6" or taller. They are physical, unlike the Portland and Phoenix, whom they plays midgets we could take advantage of. Really questionable matchup decision from our part. I would not suprise at all if we lose it.

Zubac is going to be either a huge positive or negative factor. Will look at our matchup against them last playoffs for reference at some point this week.

If we didn't have an answer for Luka (who was INJURED last season) last year, what makes us think we will now? He is truly one of the best players in the NBA right now and on his way to one of the best of all time.. it's like playing against a LeBron or .. I don't know who else in terms of versatility. And Luka has much more talent on this team than LeBron had in those early Cavs years.

Team has its starting point guard and improved the bench with a bunch of two way players. Even for those who don’t like Beverly he’s still capable of brining high energy defense.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by RingColluder » Mon May 17, 2021 4:51 am

TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Team has its starting point guard and improved the bench with a bunch of two way players. Even for those who don’t like Beverly he’s still capable of brining high energy defense.

I agree but we barely won to an injured Luka and Porzingis last year. I think this series is going to be a slog.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#7 » by NickP » Mon May 17, 2021 5:16 am

I think we sweep the Mavs if PG comes off the bench. I say we should start Batum. Morris and Kawhi are solid and can lift the burden of scoring.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#8 » by TucsonClip » Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 am

RingColluder wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

I agree but we barely won to an injured Luka and Porzingis last year. I think this series is going to be a slog.

We lost Game 4 on a 27' 3 from Luka in OT
Won Game 5 by 43
Won Game 6 by 14 and led from the mid way point of Q2 and on

I don't think the Mavs are going to roll over, but let's be real about last season's matchup in round 1.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by RingColluder » Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 am

TucsonClip wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Won Game 5 by 43

I don't think the Mavs are going to roll over, but let's be real about last season's matchup in round 1.

And Luka was hobbled the entire series and Porzingis was injured.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#10 » by og15 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:36 pm

RingColluder wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Forget about last year, it is about as irrelevant as it can be right now, for both teams even

Both teams changed their supporting cast. Mavs had a dominant offensive bench last season which they don't have now, but improved in other areas. Clippers made a lot of changes. There's no bubble which affected different players differently. Paul George is extremely unlikely to have the series he had last year since it was an outlier for his whole career, so that alone changes a lot.

No more last year, let's go with this year, how the matchups play out, etc.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#11 » by nickhx2 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:58 pm

not worried about beating the mavs. but i do think the team is gonna look rough for at least a couple games, similar to last season.

still displeased with the team's tanking strategy at the end.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#12 » by Kelphus » Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Nick, Chris Broussard was really negative this morning on Cowherd about the Clips' tanking yesterday. He said trying to avoid the fLakers is foolish, and Clips now could face them later in the playoffs when James and Davis are back in sync.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#13 » by SK21209 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 pm

Kelphus wrote:Nick, Chris Broussard was really negative this morning on Cowherd about the Clips' tanking yesterday. He said trying to avoid the fLakers is foolish, and Clips now could face them later in the playoffs when James and Davis are back in sync.

The thing is we're also getting guys back from injury and trying to get back in sync. Had we been healthy all season like the Suns with ample time to build continuity then I'd welcome this patchwork Lakers team in the first round. Unfortunately we're also trying to piece things together on the fly so it makes sense to put off your potentially toughest opponent as long as possible.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#14 » by esqtvd » Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 pm

SK21209 wrote:
Kelphus wrote:Nick, Chris Broussard was really negative this morning on Cowherd about the Clips' tanking yesterday. He said trying to avoid the fLakers is foolish, and Clips now could face them later in the playoffs when James and Davis are back in sync.

The thing is we're also getting guys back from injury and trying to get back in sync. Had we been healthy all season like the Suns with ample time to build continuity then I'd welcome this patchwork Lakers team in the first round. Unfortunately we're also trying to piece things together on the fly so it makes sense to put off your potentially toughest opponent as long as possible.

I would agree in that the Lakers know what they're going to do--their rotation is settled--and we don't.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#15 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Chris Broussard is a clown, and one of the biggest reasons why the NBA's media coverage is a joke. Remember when he said the Clippers were out of the running for Kawhi?

A supposedly "out-of-sync" LeBron and AD duo is still dangerous and hard to beat. I swear, it's like the media is trying to give the Lakers a phony "underdog" narrative at this point. :roll:
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#16 » by Quake Griffin » Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 pm

Couldn’t tank to keep our pick in 2019. We just had to lose to the Warriors in the playoffs. Remember Game 2 of that series - the greatest moment of our lives as Clipper fans? *Rolls Eyes*

But it’s coo to tank and duck opponents in the playoffs? There’s a bunch of honor in that apparently.

Hope the sports gods don’t make us pay for that.

I hate this whole Kawhi dick sucking era. A ring MIGHT shut me up...but it only might. It’s not absolute. This **** is corny.

How do you try to shed the little brother label?
Actively avoid them in the playoffs.
-_-
And I say that knowing getting them 1st round was not ideal.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#17 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:But it’s coo to tank and duck opponents in the playoffs? There’s a bunch of honor in that apparently.

Hope the sports gods don’t make us pay for that.

Denver has tanked for certain matchups three straight years now, and the "sports gods" rewarded them with two of the all-time great comebacks and a WCF appearance (something we've never done in our history) last year. Just saying.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Tue May 18, 2021 1:38 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I hate this whole Kawhi dick sucking era. A ring MIGHT shut me up...but it only might. It’s not absolute. This **** is corny.

I've been a fan since they came to LA in 1984. This is the weirdest-feeling time ever. Now and when the Manning-Smith-Norman-Grant-Harper team just faded away into nothing--from 45 wins to 41 to 27 to 17...

Winning is the only solution.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#19 » by TheNewEra » Tue May 18, 2021 3:12 am

Cant wait for this to all get started
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#20 » by TucsonClip » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 am

RingColluder wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Won Game 5 by 43

And Luka was hobbled the entire series and Porzingis was injured.

Yes, you literally posted that in the comment I quoted. None of that resulted in "barely" winning that series.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier

Return to Los Angeles Clippers