ImageImageImageImageImage

ROUND 1: Clippers vs. Mavericks Preview Discussion

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: ROUND 1: Clippers vs. Mavericks Preview Discussion 

Post#21 » by TucsonClip » Tue May 18, 2021 6:39 am

Kelphus wrote:Nick, Chris Broussard was really negative this morning on Cowherd about the Clips' tanking yesterday. He said trying to avoid the fLakers is foolish, and Clips now could face them later in the playoffs when James and Davis are back in sync.

Nobody ever mentions that this narrative disappears if the Lakers are so vulnerable they lose in round 1 to Utah or Phoenix. It's only the narrative about how the Clippers are foolish and now have to face them later. If we should have wanted the Lakers in round 1, why shouldn't Phoenix or Utah? They dispose of the Lakers and all this goes away.

It's a talking point to get us riled up and for it to be repeated all over the internet and television.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#22 » by nickhx2 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:50 pm

yup, as i said

their opinions are LITERALLY WORTHLESS
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#23 » by NickP » Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
Kelphus wrote:Nick, Chris Broussard was really negative this morning on Cowherd about the Clips' tanking yesterday. He said trying to avoid the fLakers is foolish, and Clips now could face them later in the playoffs when James and Davis are back in sync.

Nobody ever mentions that this narrative disappears if the Lakers are so vulnerable they lose in round 1 to Utah or Phoenix. It's only the narrative about how the Clippers are foolish and now have to face them later. If we should have wanted the Lakers in round 1, why shouldn't Phoenix or Utah? They dispose of the Lakers and all this goes away.

It's a talking point to get us riled up and for it to be repeated all over the internet and television.

And 1
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#24 » by wco81 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 pm

nickhx2 wrote:not worried about beating the mavs. but i do think the team is gonna look rough for at least a couple games, similar to last season.

still displeased with the team's tanking strategy at the end.

Basically the odds are the Clippers won't face the Lakers until the WCF, if both make it that far.

But it means the Clippers chose to be in the winner of the Jazz/#8 bracket for the second round as opposed to the winner of the likely Phoenix/Lakers bracket.

Not a bad idea to avoid the Lakers until the last minute, maybe hope Lebron and AD are hobbled and they get upset. But they must be more confident in beating Utah in the second round than the Suns or Lakers?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,060

Post#25 » by og15 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:20 pm

TucsonClip wrote:

Lol, no, just the Clippers! You are correct though, if they are ripe for the picking, should be good for Utah or Phoenix, but I'm not sure anyone is really thinking that it's good to be a top 3 seed and get the defending champs in round 1.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#26 » by RingColluder » Tue May 18, 2021 10:41 pm

This tanking talk is extraordinarily hypocritical. if the Lakers made the moves we did to try to avoid them, we'd be rightfully on their case. It shows a total lack of confidence and embarrassing.

Just calling out the truth. No need to be homers about it.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by RingColluder » Tue May 18, 2021 10:52 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Couldn’t tank to keep our pick in 2019. We just had to lose to the Warriors in the playoffs. Remember Game 2 of that series - the greatest moment of our lives as Clipper fans? *Rolls Eyes*

But it’s coo to tank and duck opponents in the playoffs? There’s a bunch of honor in that apparently.

Hope the sports gods don’t make us pay for that.

I hate this whole Kawhi dick sucking era. A ring MIGHT shut me up...but it only might. It’s not absolute. This **** is corny.

How do you try to shed the little brother label?
Actively avoid them in the playoffs.
-_-
And I say that knowing getting them 1st round was not ideal.

Where have you been this entire season? :lol: You speak with an astute perception that has been so refreshing to see given the latest claims..

No honor in ducking anyone.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#28 » by madmaxmedia » Tue May 18, 2021 11:09 pm

I don't remember the exact details, but by the last game where we pulled everyone it no longer mattered whether we won or lost. The game before was a bad loss to the Rockets, but it was the 2nd night of a back to back so we rest PG and Kawhi RIGHT before the playoffs- not a bad choice considering how Western stars have been dropping like flies this year. And all along, the Lakers were unlikely to get the #6 spot anyway. If anybody had an actual decision whether to tank or not to avoid the Lakers, it was Denver in their last game against Portland.

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. 3rd or 4th seed is essentially the same, 1st round home series and 2nd round on the road. Now if it were up to me, we'd have tried harder to beat OKC and get Portland in the 1st round, but that's a totally different conversation. At the end of the day, we're pretty healthy heading into the playoffs and that feels pretty good.

If the Lakers make it to the 2nd round or WCF healthy, then yes they will be a formidable opponent. But right now I feel it's like a 50/50 chance Lebron or AD will go down with another injury again, if not they will still need a series to get rolling again IMO.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by RingColluder » Tue May 18, 2021 11:30 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I don't remember the exact details, but by the last game where we pulled everyone it no longer mattered whether we won or lost. The game before was a bad loss to the Rockets, but it was the 2nd night of a back to back so we rest PG and Kawhi RIGHT before the playoffs- not a bad choice considering how Western stars have been dropping like flies this year. And all along, the Lakers were unlikely to get the #6 spot anyway. If anybody had an actual decision whether to tank or not to avoid the Lakers, it was Denver in their last game against Portland.

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. 3rd or 4th seed is essentially the same, 1st round home series and 2nd round on the road. Now if it were up to me, we'd have tried harder to beat OKC and get Portland in the 1st round, but that's a totally different conversation. At the end of the day, we're pretty healthy heading into the playoffs and that feels pretty good.

If the Lakers make it to the 2nd round or WCF healthy, then yes they will be a formidable opponent. But right now I feel it's like a 50/50 chance Lebron or AD will go down with another injury again, if not they will still need a series to get rolling again IMO.

I just don't feel like we're in the right headspace or have the continuity or chemistry to feel confident going into the playoffs. Part of that is injuries, but a large part of that is bc some certain players just have looked worse the closer we get to the playoffs. And we all obviously know who that is.

The seeding and everything is irrelevant to me, it's just the message it sends. And I agree, I'd love to have seen Portland in comparison to Dallas in round 1.

I still feel we had the best odds of facing the Lakers in round 1 BEFORE everyone is healthy, but you may be right - if LBJ goes down or AD in the playoffs and then we face them, that will give us better odds a well. My biggest concern still remains the Suns, but the ideal scenario is them facing the Lakers round 1 and we get rid of a ginormous threat.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#30 » by Max Headrom » Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 am

Here's a piece of Mr. Ringcolluder's post on the Mavs board...lol

Hello Mavs fans, good luck in the series against us!

On our board, there is an extremely heightened level of arrogance for the series that I feel is unwarranted. I am unconvinced. The series I am predicting to go 6 (for the Clippers) but would not be surprise at all if you guys manage to win it.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by RingColluder » Wed May 19, 2021 1:21 am

Max Headrom wrote:Here's a piece of Mr. Ringcolluder's post on the Mavs board...lol

On our board, there is an extremely heightened level of arrogance for the series that I feel is unwarranted. I am unconvinced. The series I am predicting to go 6 (for the Clippers) but would not be surprise at all if you guys manage to win it.

Absolutely. Have I said or indicated otherwise on here? Nice to see you going through my posts so proactively though. :o :-?
Max Headrom
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Max Headrom » Wed May 19, 2021 1:23 am

RingColluder wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Here's a piece of Mr. Ringcolluder's post on the Mavs board...lol

Absolutely. Have I said or indicated otherwise on here? Nice to see you going through my posts so proactively though. :o :-?

Not going through your posts, I always check the opponents board to read through their opinions on the series but yes, I'm following your post around the forum, yeah right :lol:
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by RingColluder » Wed May 19, 2021 1:24 am

Max Headrom wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Not going through your posts, I always check the opponents board to read through their opinions on the series but yes, I'm following your post around the forum, yeah right :lol:

Sureee buddy :lol:
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Hall Monitoring is Lame AF 

Post#34 » by Quake Griffin » Wed May 19, 2021 1:30 am

RingColluder wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Couldn’t tank to keep our pick in 2019. We just had to lose to the Warriors in the playoffs. Remember Game 2 of that series - the greatest moment of our lives as Clipper fans? *Rolls Eyes*

But it’s coo to tank and duck opponents in the playoffs? There’s a bunch of honor in that apparently.

I hate this whole Kawhi dick sucking era. A ring MIGHT shut me up...but it only might. It’s not absolute. This **** is corny.

-_-

Where have you been this entire season? :lol: You speak with an astute perception that has been so refreshing to see given the latest claims..

Forum was a little more fun before people got here slurping Doc and playing hall monitor on what people could and could not say in the forum.

These people blame the negativity of certain posters for this forum getting less participation over the years. Truth is, the negativity never wore on this forum. What wore on the forum is new hall monitors arguing with the negative posters over every comment they make and always complaining that they're ruining the game threads.

I roamed and read the forum but I participated less this year but I'm never gonna abandon the Real GM Clipper forum, no matter how much beef or infighting goes on here.

Edit: Let's not derail the thread with calling out and baiting other posters
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Re: Hall Monitoring is Lame AF 

Post#35 » by RingColluder » Wed May 19, 2021 1:32 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

-_-

Forum was a little more fun before people got here slurping Doc and playing hall monitor on what people could and could not say in the forum.

These people blame the negativity of certain posters for this forum getting less participation over the years. Truth is, the negativity never wore on this forum. What wore on the forum is new hall monitors arguing with the negative posters over every comment they make and always complaining that they're ruining the game threads.

I roamed and read the forum but I participated less this year but I'm never gonna abandon the Real GM Clipper forum, no matter how much beef or infighting goes on here.

Could not agree anymore if I could. Brilliantly said. You should become a fortune teller with such eerily accurate takes.

Hope you stick around for the playoffs!!
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Re: Hall Monitoring is Lame AF 

Post#36 » by MartinToVaught » Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Forum was a little more fun before people got here slurping Doc and playing hall monitor on what people could and could not say in the forum.

Let's not forget how some of these "hall monitors" have filled every game thread with their own negativity towards certain players over the years, so their real issue isn't "negativity," it's people disagreeing with their agenda.

Edit: Let's not derail the thread and bait other users
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#37 » by esqtvd » Wed May 19, 2021 1:58 am

wco81 wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:not worried about beating the mavs. but i do think the team is gonna look rough for at least a couple games, similar to last season.

Basically the odds are the Clippers won't face the Lakers until the WCF, if both make it that far.

But it means the Clippers chose to be in the winner of the Jazz/#8 bracket for the second round as opposed to the winner of the likely Phoenix/Lakers bracket.

Not a bad idea to avoid the Lakers until the last minute, maybe hope Lebron and AD are hobbled and they get upset. But they must be more confident in beating Utah in the second round than the Suns or Lakers?

Ro Parrish on NBA-TV thought it as great, lol. But he's not in the hot takes business.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#38 » by nickhx2 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:42 am

LMAOOO

i mean seriously LMAOOO this is some clown stuff
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#39 » by TrueLAfan » Wed May 19, 2021 2:45 am

esqtvd wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Ro Parrish on NBA-TV thought it as great, lol. But he's not in the hot takes business.

Yeah, I don't know about Parrish's take. My main takeaway from him, in general, has been "stylish glasses."

In terms of the series—it’s a 4 seed vs. a 5 seed; anyone who expects a walkover is likely wrong. As for tanking and etc.--it’s not worth the time and effort to discuss. Said it before; I'll say it again. You can put in any reason you want to fit your narrative. We had no control over what Denver or the Lakers or Dallas or Portland did. None. Zero. They were doing what we did; focusing on their own team and players. The decision was to rest players. It's not some sort of new idea or strategy. Remember what happened last year when we got to games six and seven in the semis; remember how our players looked and acted? Our top 6 players in MP this year played something like 55 minutes in our final 2 games. Four of them are over 30; Kawhi is 29. I mean, did anyone expect us play all our guys in both games? Really?

If I'm Dallas, I'm concerned about two things--Porzingis's knees and, especially, Maxi Kleber's health. Kleber is their best interior/perimeter defender. He's got a bad achilles, and that's no fun. Kleber is also their best floor spreading big. Porzingis is a better player, but Kleber's a glue guy. If either or both of those guys misses time, Dallas could be in some trouble. Same is true with us; Ibaka's health is critical. We may have a little more breathing room than the Mavs, but not much.

And, briefly, re: "Hall Monitors." Grow up. Seriously. I'm speaking for myself. I came back as a Mod this year; I've been on RealGM for over 20 years and modded a real whole lot of forums. And, frankly, if you're spending time on a playoff thread talking about moderators and negativity from years past--get over it. I could care less what individual posters think of me--but if people keep complaining about irrelevant things and it derails the discussion, bans are gonna happen.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by Max Headrom » Wed May 19, 2021 2:45 am

nickhx2 wrote:

LMAOOO

i mean seriously LMAOOO this is some clown stuff

Dude... It's almost like he posted there to make Clipper fans on the forum look bad...lol There is no heightened level of arrogance :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers