Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,032

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#621 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 pm

https://theathletic.com/2593325/2021/05/17/with-the-regular-season-over-sixers-wait-to-find-out-first-round-playoff-opponent/

“I think it’s clear, we got him off that floater,” said coach Doc Rivers, when asked what has changed in Maxey’s offensive game from earlier in the season. “It’s just night and day.

“That’s what we worked on early on. Enough with the floaters, get to the basket, use your speed,” Rivers continued. “The second thing is, use your speed to make passes as well. And that’s what he’s doing. Early in the year, it was a floater, there was no assists, there were turnovers. Now he’s attacking the basket, he’s getting to the foul line, he’s finishing at the basket, and when they take it away, he’s spraying the ball out and that’s terrific.”

"Enough with the floaters" lol couldn't have said it better myself, Doc.

Imagining Maxey getting coached by Doug Collins and Doug celebrating his "old school, throwback" game. Doc and his staff are very good.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,733

Post#622 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:https://theathletic.com/2593325/2021/05/17/with-the-regular-season-over-sixers-wait-to-find-out-first-round-playoff-opponent/

“I think it’s clear, we got him off that floater,” said coach Doc Rivers, when asked what has changed in Maxey’s offensive game from earlier in the season. “It’s just night and day.

“That’s what we worked on early on. Enough with the floaters, get to the basket, use your speed,” Rivers continued. “The second thing is, use your speed to make passes as well. And that’s what he’s doing. Early in the year, it was a floater, there was no assists, there were turnovers. Now he’s attacking the basket, he’s getting to the foul line, he’s finishing at the basket, and when they take it away, he’s spraying the ball out and that’s terrific.”

"Enough with the floaters" lol couldn't have said it better myself, Doc.

Imagining Maxey getting coached by Doug Collins and Doug celebrating his "old school, throwback" game. Doc and his staff are very good.

Yea, you definitely called it on the floater game. It's been clear that he's drawing fouls at a better rate in the past month. Very encouraging on offense, now he needs to figure out the defensive side.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#623 » by zaz102 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 pm

He's been a much better player than he was earlier in the season. With such a quick jump, I'm starting to think it wouldn't be a surprise if he gets more minutes than Shake next season.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#624 » by rzzzzz » Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Shooting an elevated number of 3s at a 44% clip the last couple of weeks, while passing up the floater to take it straight to the basket and draw fouls are some welcome developments. Right now he’s playing better than I dared hope for. Doc sees all that.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#625 » by sodmoraes » Mon May 17, 2021 6:05 pm

Will he be on the playoffs rotation? He's a rookie, so he will probably screw a lot, but he's the only person on the team who can break a defense of the dribble.

I think he will play a bit( 10 minutes per game) in the first 2 rounds. If he plays well maybe he can play in the ECF if we get there .

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,710

Post#626 » by phillynative » Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 pm

That was a very in-depth article about Maxeys development. Alot of things I wanted to hear Maxey and Doc and eased some of my concerns about him moving forward.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#627 » by Sportfan73 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:50 pm

It’s very clear that they don’t look at him as a Lou sixth man type and as more of a lead guard. Which I love
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,733

Post#628 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 pm

“I call him Mad Max!” Dwight Howard says. “He’s a demon. He gets out on the court and he causes havoc. He gets downhill... I think he’s getting his touch and he’s getting a little bit better of a feel for the game of basketball.”

Big praise from Dwight, someone who hasn't gotten his touch or feel (on the offensive end) for the game of basketball in 17 years.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,455

Post#629 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon May 17, 2021 9:36 pm

He's done more than just "flash" for us in his rookie season. I'd argue that he has shown more than Jrue Holiday showed for us during a down season when he was a rookie. Maxey did these things on a contending team. He can only go up from here. I hope he can stay healthy. As for getting minutes in the playoffs? It's possible due to how the game turns into a halfcourt affair and iso ball.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#630 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 18, 2021 1:12 pm

What's interesting about Maxey is that by all accounts this was not a season where teams did not have a lot of time to practice. So Maxey's improvement came by spending a great deal of time working on things in his free time and by really absorbing what the coaches have said to him. If he keeps this mindset up over the off season and summer he may come back, next season, a totally different and improved player.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,409

Post#631 » by 76ciology » Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Eyeamok wrote:What's interesting about Maxey is that by all accounts this was not a season where teams had a lot of time to practice. So Maxey's improvement came by spending a great deal of time working on things in his free time and by really absorbing what the coaches have said to him. If he keeps this mindset up over the off season and summer he may come back, next season, a totally different and improved player.

He knows where he is and where he wants to be.

That’s really the big difference at what I see on guys who wants to improve.

He knows what are the stuffs he needs to work on and he works hard on those.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,455

Post#632 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue May 18, 2021 1:51 pm

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:What's interesting about Maxey is that by all accounts this was not a season where teams had a lot of time to practice. So Maxey's improvement came by spending a great deal of time working on things in his free time and by really absorbing what the coaches have said to him. If he keeps this mindset up over the off season and summer he may come back, next season, a totally different and improved player.

Yes....He sure does. And now it's time for a snack. I am thinking about pizza.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#633 » by blargh » Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 pm

76ciology wrote:

The work ethic on all 3 of our rookies this year is really nice to see. These kids get it.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#634 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 18, 2021 3:15 pm

blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:

The work ethic on all 3 of our rookies this year is really nice to see. These kids get it.

Or it could be they just don't want to hear Sam Cassell mouth anymore. So they do what needs to be done. By all indications that man can talk. :lol:

No but seriously these rookies seem to have a good work ethic.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#635 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm

76ciology wrote:

You are right. Look at how he managed to get some work in with Rondo before the season even started and now he has Sam as a coach. The guy is soaking up as much information as possible and utilizing it and getting better. Awesome.

I saw a quote where Embiid said to him basically you work hard to get open if you have the shot take it. It's a shame that.....you know what why even bother.

Good for Maxey let's hope he continues to improve.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#636 » by 76ciology » Tue May 18, 2021 5:31 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:

You are right. Look at how he managed to get some work in with Rondo before the season even started and now he has Sam as a coach. They guy is soaking up as much information as possible and utilizing it and getting better. Awesome.

I saw a quote where Embiid said to him basically you work hard to get open if you have the shot take it. It's a shame that.....you know what why even bother.

Remember when he had a hard time hitting those 3s and he just keeps making floaters? Look how quick he adjusted. He’s making 3s now and getting a lot more to the line.

I’m happy whenever I see a player makes improvement.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#637 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 18, 2021 5:59 pm

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:

You are right. Look at how he managed to get some work in with Rondo before the season even started and now he has Sam as a coach. They guy is soaking up as much information as possible and utilizing it and getting better. Awesome.

Remember when he had a hard time hitting those 3s and he just keeps making floaters? Look how quick he adjusted. He’s making 3s now and getting a lot more to the line.

You and I both buddy especially when they are as 76er.

You know I hate to say this because I like Coach Brown, but I wonder how much Simmons would have grown with Rivers and Sam in his corner as a rookie?

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#638 » by 76ciology » Wed May 19, 2021 12:32 am

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

You and I both buddy especially when they are as 76er.

You know I hate to say this because I like Coach Brown, but I wonder how much Simmons would have grown with Rivers and Sam in his corner as a rookie?

None.

Simmons has to have a wake up call before he can get into the right direction.

Doc said it. Player development starts with the player. And i agree with that.

Competitors becomes better with stress, and they become weak with complacency.

“The best horses lose when they compete with slower one, but wins when they compete with rivals.” - Nassim Taleb

Look at Jimmy. This guy was a nobody. He almost decided not to turn pro. But we all know this guy is borderline crazy when it comes to determination.

Look at how that batch of young players from the Lakers all have improved (including maturity) after being traded.

Look at Andrew Wiggins and how he is silently making improvements after being traded.

Jimmy said it right. Some guys are just after popularity and fancy cars.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,804

Post#639 » by Stanford » Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 am

Yeah, Simmons has gotten worse under Doc and Cassell!
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#640 » by DCasey91 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:53 am

With Maxey’s emergence does this make Milton/Curry/Hill expendable for bigger trade packages/asset accumulation? I think so. All have good contracts and will fetch a return. Maxey/Thybulle should take precedence over the three imo. At minimum
Maxey will be better then Milton.
All of those contracts are easily moveable which is great. For me it’s too much vanilla and not enough icing. Garland is very intriguing to me, pairing them up would be fantastic. Heck even older route with Lowry could be on the cards.

Morey has positioned us very well in coming time. Lot of options to play here.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers