Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Re: Play in #1: Tuesday 

Post#61 » by Pacers Forever » Wed May 19, 2021 9:31 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:If he always plays like he did in the bubble yes he is. But i am not sure we can count on that, especially after his foot surgery.

fair enough. but if he were to return playing as well as he did in the bubble, would you still say we're short a quality starter?

I think bubble Warren is a bit of a fluke, though I'll obviously be very happy if proven wrong

That said, regarding the discussion about the missing star, no I don't think Warren is it, at least not in a vacuum, though I have him in front of LeVert, on the list of probable star players on our roster

Looking at it from another perspective, assuming that we are going to build a team with Domas as one of the corner stones, what four other players would we ideally like to surround him with?

To me, the first and foremost player that we need is a off ball scoring wing, preferably an elite one who can also create his own shots, like Bradley Beal for example. He would be an ideal partner for Domas

We've seen how effective the Domas-McBucket scoring machine is. Swapping Doug out for Beal turbocharges that

With Domas at the 5 and Beal at the 2, we'd need a 3nD ball handler at 1. Maybe something like a Lonzo Ball, if he keeps improving his shot. I would have considered Brogdon here, but he struggles with defending quick guards

For the two forward spots, we'd need a good 3nD player to pair with Domas at the 4, probably someone like a Robert Covington or a PJ Washington (though my assessment of him has cooled off quite considerably after his poor outing against us in the last game)

For the remaining forward spot, we're probably looking for someone who's a bit well rounded, so I'm actually fine with slotting Warren in here

End result:

Domas
PJ Washington
Warren
Beal
Lonzo

Ideally, we'd still have Goga, the Holiday bros, Sumner, and Brissett off the bench for a pretty solid 10 man roster. Bonus if we also re-sign both TJ and Doug

So trades wise, we're looking at trading:

Myles
Brogdon
LeVert
Lamb
FRP

for

Beal
Washington
Lonzo

Question is, how do we do that

While I agree with your thoughts I don’t want Ball (insert puke emoji). I like Washington’s rebounding skills. I would love a 4 who is a big body like Lebron that can rebound and defend, but of course a lot less talented than Lebron to fit our budget. Beal is a stud scorer and I could go for less in that position to be able to afford a 4 and anyone with similar talent of Ball not named Ball.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#62 » by Topofthekey » Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:
fair enough. but if he were to return playing as well as he did in the bubble, would you still say we're short a quality starter?

I think bubble Warren is a bit of a fluke, though I'll obviously be very happy if proven wrong

That said, regarding the discussion about the missing star, no I don't think Warren is it, at least not in a vacuum, though I have him in front of LeVert, on the list of probable star players on our roster

Looking at it from another perspective, assuming that we are going to build a team with Domas as one of the corner stones, what four other players would we ideally like to surround him with?

To me, the first and foremost player that we need is a off ball scoring wing, preferably an elite one who can also create his own shots, like Bradley Beal for example. He would be an ideal partner for Domas

We've seen how effective the Domas-McBucket scoring machine is. Swapping Doug out for Beal turbocharges that

With Domas at the 5 and Beal at the 2, we'd need a 3nD ball handler at 1. Maybe something like a Lonzo Ball, if he keeps improving his shot. I would have considered Brogdon here, but he struggles with defending quick guards

For the two forward spots, we'd need a good 3nD player to pair with Domas at the 4, probably someone like a Robert Covington or a PJ Washington (though my assessment of him has cooled off quite considerably after his poor outing against us in the last game)

For the remaining forward spot, we're probably looking for someone who's a bit well rounded, so I'm actually fine with slotting Warren in here

End result:

Domas
PJ Washington
Warren
Beal
Lonzo

Ideally, we'd still have Goga, the Holiday bros, Sumner, and Brissett off the bench for a pretty solid 10 man roster. Bonus if we also re-sign both TJ and Doug

So trades wise, we're looking at trading:

Myles
Brogdon
LeVert
Lamb
FRP

for

Beal
Washington
Lonzo

Question is, how do we do that

While I agree with your thoughts I don’t want Ball (insert puke emoji). I like Washington’s rebounding skills. I would love a 4 who is a big body like Lebron that can rebound and defend, but of course a lot less talented than Lebron to fit our budget. Beal is a stud scorer and I could go for less in that position to be able to afford a 4 and anyone with similar talent of Ball not named Ball.

:lol:

The Ball family drama isn't what I'm looking forward to either, but I couldn't think of someone else, at least not someone who is realistically available

Yes, Beal is pretty much the ideal get, but like you said, I could go for someone more affordable too, if an alternative presents itself
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#63 » by Wizop » Thu May 20, 2021 12:00 am

I'm starting with Brogdon, LeVert, Warren and Sabonis. I like a second unit of TJ, Sumner, JHolla, Brissett and Goga.

So who is the 5th starter? A young Lebron would be nice. AD. a 22 year old Kevin Love. Tatum. A JO buried on someone's bench. A healthy Porzingus. I doubt a rookie would be better than Turner in his first year.

If the BPA is a wing, do we trade the pick for a vet?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#64 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 20, 2021 12:22 am

Wizop wrote:I'm starting with Brogdon, LeVert, Warren and Sabonis. I like a second unit of TJ, Sumner, JHolla, Brissett and Goga.

So who is the 5th starter? A young Lebron would be nice. AD. a 22 year old Kevin Love. Tatum. A JO buried on someone's bench. A healthy Porzingus. I doubt a rookie would be better than Turner in his first year.

If the BPA is a wing, do we trade the pick for a vet?

Sent from my phone.

I think wing is absolutely fine, and probably preferable. We’ve got Sumner as a cheap guard and Brissett/Goga as cheap bigs. Maybe Kelan turns into one cheap wing, but we could really use another, and preferably a higher end one that could possibly replace Warren (if he walks after next season, or has to be dealt midseason if he makes it clear he’s not sticking, though that’s a bit unlikely).

I still think that Warren could either play the 4 primarily if Turner is dealt, but we’d likely want another combo forward, or a more true 4 if we deal Turner. Ideally, if we could deal Turner and somehow return OG Anunoby, that would solve a TON of issues for us going forward, since he could guard 4 to 5 positions and still provide solid shooting. We could still possibly move one of the starting guards for a more classic PG later, or stick with the two of them.

Man, the Leaf pick instead of OG (or even Collins) really killed this era of the Pacers. If’s and but’s, I know, but man. If you just add him to this roster, holy cow.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#65 » by Wizop » Thu May 20, 2021 12:41 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think wing is absolutely fine, and probably preferable.

I would have disagreed in March but Brissett opens the door to the BPA. A rookie wing also reduces the need to pay Doug fair value.

I still like Wagner though who some say is a 3 and others say he's a 4.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers