Play-In #2: Thursday

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Play-In #2: Thursday 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Thu May 20, 2021 10:01 am

The Pacers will need to bring the same fire on Thursday against a Wizards team that has taken it to Indiana this season. Washington swept three games with the Blue & Gold and had their way offensively, averaging 139.7 points over those contests. In their last visit to Washington on May 3, the Pacers gave up 154 points — tied for the most points in the NBA all season and one point shy of the most ever by a Pacers opponent.

Westbrook, in particular, has wreaked havoc on the Pacers. The former MVP has averaged an eye-popping 27.3 points, 18 rebounds, and 20 assists against Indiana this season. Beal has been a problem, too, dropping 50 points in 39 minutes at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on May 8.

Slowing down that duo will not be an easy task and it won't help that the Pacers will be without a guard capable of matching Beal or Westbrook shot for shot, as Caris LeVert remains out due to the NBA's health and safety protocols. Leading scorer Malcolm Brogdon did return on Tuesday, however, after missing 10 games with a hamstring injury. The 6-5 Brogdon, 6-6 Justin Holiday, and 6-4 Edmond Sumner will probably be the primary defenders responsible for marking Westbrook and Beal, though containing them will be a team task.

Wheat Hotchkiss
https://www.nba.com/pacers/preview-pacers-wizards-210520

Is Sumner the best option defensively we have against Westbrook? Brogdon isn't known for his defense, and Justin Holiday struggled against WB in the last regular season matchup with the Wizards. I'm assuming we won't see much Aaron Holiday?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Re: Play-In #2: Thursday 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Thu May 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Here is a timely reread.

https://www.indycornrows.com/2021/5/5/22419099/why-the-pacers-junk-defenses-were-junk-against-the-wizards

Pacers have played much less zone since this was written two weeks ago.

Did Bjorkgren read it? Did Pritchard read it and call Bjorkgren into his office to discuss it.

Did Caitlyn see something that Bjorkgren wasn't seeing or his staff was too intimidated to bring up?

Did the Emperor have new clothes?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#3 » by Wizop » Thu May 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Wizop wrote:Here is a timely reread.

https://www.indycornrows.com/2021/5/5/22419099/why-the-pacers-junk-defenses-were-junk-against-the-wizards

Did Bjorkgren read it? Did Pritchard read it and call Bjorkgren into his office to discuss it.

Did Caitlyn see something that Bjorkgren wasn't seeing or his staff was too intimidated to bring up?

The Woj/Fischer reports included that multiple Pacers were unhappy playing the gimmicky and junky defenses that Bjorkgren would call during the game, without having practiced them once, or even set them up on paper. Apparently, they were deciding who was to do what and play where in zones and boxes when they were called on court. :dontknow:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Thu May 20, 2021 1:57 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

The Woj/Fischer reports included that multiple Pacers were unhappy playing the gimmicky and junky defenses that Bjorkgren would call during the game, without having practiced them once, or even set them up on paper. Apparently, they were deciding who was to do what and play where in zones and boxes when they were called on court. :dontknow:

So is it mainly just lack of practice?

Because Bjorkgren's "directional defense", whatever it is, sounds pretty cool. Would be nice if it actually translates into results
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 20, 2021 2:08 pm

Not sure who wins. I'm taking the over.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 20, 2021 2:53 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Because Bjorkgren's "directional defense", whatever it is, sounds pretty cool. Would be nice if it actually translates into results

Good question. The writers have gotten players on record to say that Nate was calling defenses in game that they hadn’t practiced and hadn’t even set up….”if we call this, you play here and we do this…”. Not sure if it was the lessening of practicing, or if it was just an idea that Nurse did this in Toronto, so there’s no reason you can’t do it here. But Toronto had worked on it for years and the vets knew their place and easily put the new pieces in their place.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Thu May 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Not sure if it was the lessening of practicing, or if it was just an idea that Nurse did this in Toronto, so there’s no reason you can’t do it here. But Toronto had worked on it for years and the vets knew their place and easily put the new pieces in their place.

My question is why didn't anyone tell Bjorkgren that this wasn't working? Maybe they did and he didn't listen or maybe he had intimidated them and they kept quiet. Caitlin saw it and wrote about it based I think on her own film study and not on player interviews.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#9 » by Pacersike » Thu May 20, 2021 4:58 pm

I hope Myles Turner has improved his social media skills for this game. I know it is hard to do sometimes, but being the bigger person is just one decision away, every day :D .

We can do this!
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#10 » by Pacersike » Thu May 20, 2021 5:10 pm

boomershadow wrote:Is Sumner the best option defensively we have against Westbrook? Brogdon isn't known for his defense, and Justin Holiday struggled against WB in the last regular season matchup with the Wizards. I'm assuming we won't see much Aaron Holiday?

Malcolm is a very good defender against 2s, 3s, some 4s and tall 1ers, I assume he will get some Westbrook duties.
LeVert on the other hand is average at best, I see no downgrade if our other guys do the things they usually do.

Let's put this in the pocket :rock: . :rocking:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Thu May 20, 2021 5:22 pm

boomershadow wrote:Is Sumner the best option defensively we have against Westbrook? Brogdon isn't known for his defense, and Justin Holiday struggled against WB in the last regular season matchup with the Wizards. I'm assuming we won't see much Aaron Holiday?

Tuesday, Sumner was pulled after only 7 minutes because of his prior injury. I hope he's healthier tonight.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 20, 2021 5:23 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Not sure if it was the lessening of practicing, or if it was just an idea that Nurse did this in Toronto, so there’s no reason you can’t do it here. But Toronto had worked on it for years and the vets knew their place and easily put the new pieces in their place.

My question is why didn't anyone tell Bjorkgren that this wasn't working? Maybe they did and he didn't listen or maybe he had intimidated them and they kept quiet. Caitlin saw it and wrote about it based I think on her own film study and not on player interviews.

J.Michael used the quote he got from a player in a recent podcast…”Nate sucks up, and ‘pees’ down” (he didn’t say “pees” though :wink: )

I think Agness pointed out that Pritchard moved from his seat near the tunnel to sitting on the floor with the team after the Woj/Fischer reports came out, and it’s likely that Pritchard stopped accepting the sucking up and dictated to Nate that if he wanted to finish the season, he was going to have to play it straight and simple, and keep it together. Just like how Pritchard dictated that Sabonis wasn’t returning to a game, and other reports of Pritchard being involved lately.

So, coaches and players may have tried to tell him it wasn’t working. Nate just didn’t listen to anyone that he thought was “below him” in the pecking order.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#13 » by Tom White » Thu May 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Agness pointed out that Pritchard moved from his seat near the tunnel to sitting on the floor with the team after the Woj/Fischer reports came out, and it’s likely that Pritchard stopped accepting the sucking up and dictated to Nate that if he wanted to finish the season, he was going to have to play it straight and simple, and keep it together. Just like how Pritchard dictated that Sabonis wasn’t returning to a game, and other reports of Pritchard being involved lately.

I had not heard/read any of that. If correct, that is really telling.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#14 » by ducler » Thu May 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Topofthekey » Thu May 20, 2021 11:39 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Good question. The writers have gotten players on record to say that Nate was calling defenses in game that they hadn’t practiced and hadn’t even set up….”if we call this, you play here and we do this…”. Not sure if it was the lessening of practicing, or if it was just an idea that Nurse did this in Toronto, so there’s no reason you can’t do it here. But Toronto had worked on it for years and the vets knew their place and easily put the new pieces in their place.

Interesting

Because when I read the article, it feels like some of the defensive schemes are quite interesting, and probably would have produced better results if the players involved weren't so... confused

It sounds like Bjorkgren likes to throw a variety of defensive schemes at the opponent, going from 2-3 zones to box and ones to triangle and twos back to 2-3 and whatnott

In theory, it sounds like what a good coach would do, calling for whatever defense he felt was appropriate based on what the opponent was doing

Also, I guess this might be one reason why Myles plays such an important role on defense. He's shown to be very vocal on defense when he was mic'ed up, constantly communicating with his teammates. Maybe that's why the defense kind of devolves into a confusing mess when Myles isn't out there, being a traffic controller

Hopefully with more time spent on practice, and maybe some tweaks to the roster, they can better execute the type of defense that Bjorkgren wants. He sounds like he has a vision for what he wants to do, I would like to see what that translates to when properly executed
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Topofthekey » Thu May 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Agness pointed out that Pritchard moved from his seat near the tunnel to sitting on the floor with the team after the Woj/Fischer reports came out, and it’s likely that Pritchard stopped accepting the sucking up and dictated to Nate that if he wanted to finish the season, he was going to have to play it straight and simple, and keep it together. Just like how Pritchard dictated that Sabonis wasn’t returning to a game, and other reports of Pritchard being involved lately.

Wow, that does sound like a big deal

When did most of this happen?

If KP was out there dictating that Domas wasn't returning to a game, does that show the decision to play Domas and Brogdon and whoever 40 minutes a game in order to scrape for every win was was Bjorkgren's alone?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Fri May 21, 2021 12:43 am

Nothing is going in for us.

This whole play in has been a nothing burger so far. Every home team has won. If this continues no one will move up.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 21, 2021 1:04 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Wow, that does sound like a big deal

When did most of this happen?

If KP was out there dictating that Domas wasn't returning to a game, does that show the decision to play Domas and Brogdon and whoever 40 minutes a game in order to scrape for every win was was Bjorkgren's alone?

The Sabonis thing was when he played the first half and left with a deep bruise near his knee. It was explained as The injury happening right in front of Pritchard and when Sabonis tried to work it out and keep playing, Pritchard pointed out he shouldn’t. :dontknow:

The moving seats may be explained as COVID related, as it also kind of coincided with more fans in the stands, but Pritchard definitely moved down with the team.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#19 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 am

Hey Pacers fans, is it your opinion that Sabonis could be a competent defensive player with a better defensive coach or system? Does he have the ability to be a paint protector? Because so many times I watch him in the paint and he doesn't even try to contest.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Topofthekey » Fri May 21, 2021 1:07 am

Wizop wrote:Nothing is going in for us.

This whole play in has been a nothing burger so far. Every home team has won. If this continues no one will move up.

Sent from my phone.

That's why it was a little frustrating to see Bjorkgren play Domas 40 minutes a game in the last three W's of the regular season

Should have allowed Goga and the bench more playing time, since the W wasn't going to change anything for the team on the standings. And if that happens to result in an L instead, that's also fine, because in case something like this (this game against the Wizards right now) happens later, they at least get much better odds in the lottery

Return to Indiana Pacers