Play-In Game 1 : MEM vs SAS

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Play-In Game 1 : MEM vs SAS 

Post#21 » by jman3134 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 pm

I love Ja. He needs to get his head right in these big game scenarios though. FT shooting was inexcusable last night - I am sure he knows this.

I am not as thrilled with his development the last few seasons as I anticipated when he was drafted. I think he will piece it together, but something needs to be done about his jump shot mechanically in the offseason.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#22 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 20, 2021 8:59 pm

jman3134 wrote:I love Ja. He needs to get his head right in these big game scenarios though. FT shooting was inexcusable last night - I am sure he knows this.

I am not as thrilled with his development the last few seasons as I anticipated when he was drafted. I think he will piece it together, but something needs to be done about his jump shot mechanically in the offseason.

I read he was out after the game shooting FT's..

GS is going to sag off him to take away the paint & driving lanes so I hope he's ready to hit some daggers.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,721

Post#23 » by floppymoose » Thu May 20, 2021 10:09 pm

My dream of GSW beating LAL and then MEM beating LAL has died. :-(
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#24 » by jman3134 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:19 pm

^^^ This was also my dream, friend.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#25 » by MemphisX » Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 am

Whole Truth wrote:I was reading Memphis fans comments, they clearly don't know what to look for with the officiating if they think Memphis didn't get the whistle in this game. The calls Spurs got were to keep the game close/interesting..

To sum up their intent in one sentence... If Brooks was playing against Curry instead of Derozan, he would have fouled out of this game first half. He/Memphis got the Green/GS treatment where he/they were allowed to play more physical defense on Derozan/Spurs (hence holding them to something like 33% shooting), where officials could have easily tightened that whistle on him/Memphis, by choice...

If they let Brooks/Memphis play a more physical against the Warrriors, I like Memphis chances.. question is, will they?, Curry/GS, is pure ratings for their TV contracts.

All I want out of that final match is Memphis not being outworked & a fair whistle.

This also applies to what they allowed the Spurs to do to Jonas. Well, what officials allow every team to do to Jonas.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Whole Truth » Fri May 21, 2021 10:19 am

MemphisX wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:I was reading Memphis fans comments, they clearly don't know what to look for with the officiating if they think Memphis didn't get the whistle in this game. The calls Spurs got were to keep the game close/interesting..

To sum up their intent in one sentence... If Brooks was playing against Curry instead of Derozan, he would have fouled out of this game first half. He/Memphis got the Green/GS treatment where he/they were allowed to play more physical defense on Derozan/Spurs (hence holding them to something like 33% shooting), where officials could have easily tightened that whistle on him/Memphis, by choice...

If they let Brooks/Memphis play a more physical against the Warrriors, I like Memphis chances.. question is, will they?, Curry/GS, is pure ratings for their TV contracts.

All I want out of that final match is Memphis not being outworked & a fair whistle.

This also applies to what they allowed the Spurs to do to Jonas. Well, what officials allow every team to do to Jonas.

Agree, Jonas shouldn't be averaging 2.5 FT attempts a game with how physical he plays.. Is he that much less physically dominant than Zion/Embiid in relation, for them to be gifted 12 FTA's a game, 9 more attempts on average... The league also wouldn't let teams get overly physical with Zion/Embiid defensively to help contain them because they're more "marketable"". I haven't seen a player get hit in the head with no call more than Jonas.. Funny enough, it was Green ripping his finger out with (him)/Raptors dominating a GS regular season game (having both Klay & Durant) not the injured squad they beat for the title, with no call, that resulted in him being traded to Memphis.

Having said that, the calls Spurs got against Jonas was the league trying to pull the game close/make the game interesting, not the type to help them contain him like Green/GS get, he would have been in foul trouble also.. There's 2 ends to watch, they would have combined some of those non calls offensively with a couple cheap contact fouls defensively.. those blks he had would have been blocking fouls (subjectivity on rule of verticality) to put him in foul trouble.. fouled him out from dominating the game.

Derozan who Spurs were running their offense through should have got a few more FT's than he did.. not to knock the incredible job Dillon did on him defensively.. he got away with some contact that could have had him in foul trouble also.. but like Green in most our matches, they decided to keep him in the game & turn a blind eye to his physical defense.

Now I'm fine with them doing that, just do it for both teams which is generally not the case. You see Dillon pick up cheap fouls to protect Curry while Green is being overly physical to protect the paint, you know what time it is with the officiating. They're taking one teams advantage away, while protecting the others.

P.S don't get me started on GS moving screens to get Curry open for 3... I used to have to put up watching Gortat moving screens which helped boost Wall's speed reputation.. Gortat would set a moving screen on one end for Wall, then Raptors/Jonas would get called for a moving screen on the other end (The level of rule subjectivity they have, give them so many ways to control a game). What I described there, one sequence, is a potential 6pt swing.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Whole Truth » Fri May 21, 2021 10:34 am

I wanted to make this statement independent of my last post because I want it to stand out..

Memphis are #1 in the paint, they're extremely physical & aggressive in it but they are bottom of the league in FT's where their aggression is not rewarded for it... Zion averages 3x the FT's Ja gets because he's the chosen one but NO's who have a more experienced youth roster, are not here.

But here the young team is.. in the playoff picture .. 2yrs in on their rebuild, looking for the final playoff spot

& Memphis players can be proud that they did it without the league kissing their ass..

Memphis, I have 3 words for ya...

GS is NEXT.

The fact that Memphis did get here without the help, I know if they play like they can, they won't need it. The one thing I don't want to see in the matchup, is GS outworking the young squad. Let the championship squad execute better, let them get their ass kissed, I'll be angry as **** to see them want it more.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies