20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Re: 20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News 

Post#861 » by Devilanche » Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am

Dadouv47 wrote:so that's how a rebuild look like? This was a weird season. Lottery & draft nights are gonna define our season, which is the case for most rebuilding teams but even more in our case with our own pick and the houston pick swap.

Guess SGA playing at such a high level was the only great thing from this season. Dort was pretty good, Poku looks like a good gamble, Maledon looks like a top 20 FRP and not a SRP. Jerome is kind of a nice surprise but still not a very high ceiling either. Bazley is the biggest disappointment of this season and it's not close.

No idea if we gonna draft 8-18 or 1-5 but we badly need to draft well if we want a quick rebuild and keep SGA.

If he can maintain his 3pt % or even increase it , I don’t really mind having him around .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#862 » by Devilanche » Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter

No mention of Bazely
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#863 » by cjmcallist » Tue May 18, 2021 8:04 pm

For all those who think tanking creates a losing culture...

Read on Twitter
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#864 » by thedoppelganger » Tue May 18, 2021 9:42 pm

Finally came off the ledge a bit after that win Sunday night, went through the exit interviews and only a couple interesting parts:

SGA sounded pretty uncertain on whether he'd be healthy in time for the Olympics this summer. Positive overall/good perspective about the direction of the team, and several others glowed about SGA's growth as a player/leader.

Of all our international players, Deck was the only one that did confirm he would be playing in Tokyo this summer. Dort, Maledon, Poku all are TBD.

Seems like Muscala + Kenrich both loved being here so much that they turned down chances to leave to stay here this year (the Kenrich part comes from a recent Zach Lowe article where we had trade offers, but he wanted to stay this season). Wouldn't be shocked if we bring back Muscala to be a veteran presence, doesn't seem to care about losing his PT to the younger guys at this point.

Al confirmed that SGA's injury sped up his and the organization's decision to rest for the last half of the season. His sister also tweeted Royce's article from yesterday talking about that, which seems to signal they'll be pushing hard for a trade this offseason.

Glad to be done with this season and stressing about lottery positioning while playing so many guys that don't have a future here. We probably won't be much higher in the standings next season, if at all, but at least we'll have 3-4 top 35 picks to come in and take the place of guys like Hall, Charlie Brown, etc.

And SGA just very recently bought a house in OKC, not sure how much that means, but seems like a good thing.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#865 » by thedoppelganger » Thu May 20, 2021 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So from Sam it sounds like 1) we won't be trying to rush this just to get back to the playoffs, likely be bad again next season and focus on development like we should. And 2) we'll be aggressive in moving up in the draft.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#866 » by jake_swivel » Thu May 20, 2021 7:44 pm

cjmcallist wrote:For all those who think tanking creates a losing culture...

To be fair, it’s been about a month and a half of tanking. We’ll see how the culture is if they are still tanking in a year or two and all of these young dudes’ contracts are coming up and they have draft picks breathing down their neck to take their spot (and essentially their career) while they’re losing. And the losing is increasing the odds of higher draft picks taking their spot. This year was a perfect spot for tanking and development with a ton of dudes who don’t feel any entitlement.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Post#867 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:59 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So from Sam it sounds like 1) we won't be trying to rush this just to get back to the playoffs, likely be bad again next season and focus on development like we should. And 2) we'll be aggressive in moving up in the draft.

option 1 is kind of obvious. Playoff gonna be a consequence of drafting good guys. We could be a playoff team next season if we wanted to.

Option 2 is also obvious but gonna be difficult :lol:

Well it may be easier to move up from the Miami pick into the top 10 but going from 6-8 to top 4...not likely :(
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#868 » by Dn4sty » Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 pm

I would also say that nothing is set in stone.

Remember the summer of internal development...next thing we know it’s PG13 and Melo waiving his no trade clause
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#869 » by thedoppelganger » Thu May 27, 2021 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Shai's out for at least the Olympic qualifiers, might be out for it altogether. Hope he leans towards resting this summer.

Dort's going to get a lot of run with this group, should be a fun team to watch.
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#870 » by Bigfactsstackz » Thu May 27, 2021 6:21 pm

Thunder fans would you be interested in a Derrick white for Al Horford trade with the suns pick involved?

I know this is a silly question but the casual spurs fans want this trade to happen
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#871 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Bigfactsstackz wrote:Thunder fans would you be interested in a Derrick white for Al Horford trade with the suns pick involved?

I know this is a silly question but the casual spurs fans want this trade to happen

Hmm…that’s interesting. I don’t think there are many trades for the thunder involving Horford that will get the fan base excited. I don’t necessarily think White is a long term piece but he’s young enough that he could recoup the value of the Phx pick down the road. Also, if the thunder want to get back to competing sooner rather than later, he would help. All in all, I don’t think that’s a horrible trade for the thunder. I just think OKC shouldn’t have traded for Al in the first place.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#872 » by Bigfactsstackz » Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Bigfactsstackz wrote:Thunder fans would you be interested in a Derrick white for Al Horford trade with the suns pick involved?

Hmm…that’s interesting. I don’t think there are many trades for the thunder involving Horford that will get the fan base excited. I don’t necessarily think White is a long term piece but he’s young enough that he could recoup the value of the Phx pick down the road. Also, if the thunder want to get back to competing sooner rather than later, he would help. All in all, I don’t think that’s a horrible trade for the thunder. I just think OKC shouldn’t have traded for Al in the first place.

So in your opinion who wins that deal?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#873 » by jake_swivel » Thu May 27, 2021 6:47 pm

A big problem is that we don’t know what the plan is regarding next year. If it’s to compete, you might as well keep Al and see if you can build his value enough to not have to add draft compensation. If you don’t want to compete, trading for Derrick White seems like a problem, given there will be a minutes crunch next year before you possibly add someone like green or Suggs to the backcourt. I mean, even without getting one of those guys if Micic comes over.

I think you’d think about it more if you get Mobley, but even then, that backcourt is going to be crowded.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#874 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Bigfactsstackz wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

So in your opinion who wins that deal?

I don’t think something like winner/loser would be clear for a long time. Unlike a trade of Wall for Westbrook where both teams trade similar players, this would be two teams with different trajectories likely wanting different things from the trade. Sometimes trades like this can be mutually beneficial for both teams.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#875 » by Devilanche » Thu May 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Any chance it can be Jakob Poetl instead ?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#876 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 1, 2021 12:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#877 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:34 pm

yeah this sucks.

I had hopes Micic could help us to move up some spots with 16 and 18.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#878 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:44 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:yeah this sucks.

We have so many assets. I'm ready for some stuff to start going our way with them. This hasn't been a good start with the lottery and now this.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#879 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:49 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:yeah this sucks.

We have so many assets. I'm ready for some stuff to start going our way with them. This hasn't been a good start with the lottery and now this.

yeah gotta hope things gonna be better on draft day :cry:
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#880 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Jul 1, 2021 2:00 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Small consolation that there's supposedly clauses that let him out if he wants to go to the NBA the next 2 years, but at this point I'm just going to expect he isn't ever coming over.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder