Fake Trade Thread #3

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,549

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#1421 » by yosemiteben » Wed May 19, 2021 11:04 pm

NYG wrote:What contract are you expecting Graham and Monk to get this off-season? Which would Charlotte prefer to keep?

No one knows, but JB seems to be a big Graham fan and his cap hold is real cheap.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,547

Post#1422 » by NYG » Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
NYG wrote:What contract are you expecting Graham and Monk to get this off-season? Which would Charlotte prefer to keep?

No one knows, but JB seems to be a big Graham fan and his cap hold is real cheap.

I honestly see Monk getting paid elsewhere, you keep the pick, re-sign Zeller, re-sign Graham, sign the best starting center possible and hope Hayward stays healthy. That's my prediction for the Hornets off-season. Am I far off?
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1423 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu May 20, 2021 3:30 am

NYG wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

I honestly see Monk getting paid elsewhere, you keep the pick, re-sign Zeller, re-sign Graham, sign the best starting center possible and hope Hayward stays healthy. That's my prediction for the Hornets off-season. Am I far off?

Only if Zeller and Graham come cheap, really cheap. Otherwise I'd prefer to let them both walk. They both have major limitations that will keep them as backup calibre players at best.

But yes that sounds like how it could play out. Kupchak will probably overpay Graham significantly though. I'm guessing 3 year $39-$45 million territory which would be an overpay.
HornetsFan29
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

looking at how Westbrook led the wiz to the playoffs. 

Post#1424 » by HornetsFan29 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:42 am

we should have traded for him instead of trading for injury prone Haywayrd

offer could have been Batum and Rozier for Westbrook.

We Still draft Lamelo.

lineup
Lamelo/Devonte
Westbrook/Monk
Bridges/Martins
PJ/Mcdaniels
Zeller/Carey/Biz

Westbrook is also the goat rebounder and would have help a ton on the boards where we sturggle.

Team would be much better and we would not have had to waive Batum.

agree or disagree?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,549

Re: looking at how Westbrook led the wiz to the playoffs. 

Post#1425 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 21, 2021 2:05 am

This is the worst kind of after the fact judgment. Obviously Westbrook has played well. Not sure Rozier + Batum would have been perceived as more desirable than Wall + 2023 FRP.

Not sure what the point of this is.
HornetsFan29
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Re: looking at how Westbrook led the wiz to the playoffs. 

Post#1426 » by HornetsFan29 » Fri May 21, 2021 2:31 am

yosemiteben wrote:This is the worst kind of after the fact judgment. Obviously Westbrook has played well. Not sure Rozier + Batum would have been perceived as more desirable than Wall + 2023 FRP.

Not sure what the point of this is.

it was rumored at the time we had interest in Westbrook so I was doing a looking back thread and with Hayward's injury history prob would had been a better option for us but yeah its no real point really but still something to talk about doing the off season.
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1427 » by Benjamin Linus » Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 pm

Just curious, if the Knicks called and said they'd take on Gordon Hayward for nothing would you do it? We'd get like an extra 30m in capspace. I know the Knicks were interested in Hayward last year and they've got a ton of capspace this offseason. Would they have to add something? The 32nd pick? A late first? Mitchell Robinson?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#1428 » by amcoolio » Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Benjamin Linus wrote:Just curious, if the Knicks called and said they'd take on Gordon Hayward for nothing would you do it? We'd get like an extra 30m in capspace. I know the Knicks were interested in Hayward last year and they've got a ton of capspace this offseason. Would they have to add something? The 32nd pick? A late first? Mitchell Robinson?

It would be free agent suicide if we did but I would. Much like Monk, I worry about paying big money to someone who produces at a high level for only 33-40% of the games.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,142

Post#1429 » by Rich4114 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Does anyone think Pascal Siakam might be available in a trade given his recent strife with coaching this past season and the fact that they might be headed for a slight rebuild?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1430 » by BigSlam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Fake trade suggestion for Orlando.

Monk for Bamba & Ross:

Orlando Magic: Malik Monk (Restricted)

Free agency isn't likely to be much of a priority for the Orlando Magic. Their trade-deadline teardown has thrust them into an undefined rebuild, but a rebuild all the same, and they should have two high-ish first-rounders to drool over (their own and Chicago's top-four-protected pick).

Just as well, too. The Magic won't be a difference-making cap-space team without salary-dumping Gary Harris' expiring contract or Terrence Ross. They are, for now, most likely going to work with the non-taxpayer's mid-level exception.

Offering a contract to Malik Monk that starts under $10 million won't get the Charlotte Hornets to blink. Monk might not even bother signing it.

Prior to suffering a sprained right ankle near the end of the season, he tantalized with a 40-plus three-point clip, and an extra layer of shot creation. He drilled 37.2 percent of his pull-up triples, and his positional flexibility on defense belies his 6'3" frame.

Orlando at the very least needs Monk's brand of offensive jet fuel—that mix of creation and spacing. A healthy Markelle Fultz isn't providing it, and neither Cole Anthony nor R.J. Hampton has enough reps under his belt to guarantee he'll be that guy. Monk, at 23, is young enough that he fits the most gradual timeline.

Successfully bagging him almost assuredly requires a sign-and-trade. That could work. Building a package around Ross and Mo Bamba might get the Hornets' attention. Wendell Carter Jr. might be a touch too much for Orlando's tastes, but lower-level draft equity should be fair game.
B B M F 'ers
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#1431 » by MPM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Probably not in the majority here, but I'd do the above deal. I like Bamba and would prefer to replace Monk with a bigger 3&D type of wing. Ross I could care less about but would provide scoring punch off the bench. Would definitely put a lot more names on the table for me at #11 if we had Bamba/Ross.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,062

Post#1432 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:16 pm

BigSlam wrote:Fake trade suggestion for Orlando.

Monk for Bamba & Ross:

Orlando Magic: Malik Monk (Restricted)

Free agency isn't likely to be much of a priority for the Orlando Magic. Their trade-deadline teardown has thrust them into an undefined rebuild, but a rebuild all the same, and they should have two high-ish first-rounders to drool over (their own and Chicago's top-four-protected pick).

Just as well, too. The Magic won't be a difference-making cap-space team without salary-dumping Gary Harris' expiring contract or Terrence Ross. They are, for now, most likely going to work with the non-taxpayer's mid-level exception.

Offering a contract to Malik Monk that starts under $10 million won't get the Charlotte Hornets to blink. Monk might not even bother signing it.

Prior to suffering a sprained right ankle near the end of the season, he tantalized with a 40-plus three-point clip, and an extra layer of shot creation. He drilled 37.2 percent of his pull-up triples, and his positional flexibility on defense belies his 6'3" frame.

Orlando at the very least needs Monk's brand of offensive jet fuel—that mix of creation and spacing. A healthy Markelle Fultz isn't providing it, and neither Cole Anthony nor R.J. Hampton has enough reps under his belt to guarantee he'll be that guy. Monk, at 23, is young enough that he fits the most gradual timeline.

Successfully bagging him almost assuredly requires a sign-and-trade. That could work. Building a package around Ross and Mo Bamba might get the Hornets' attention. Wendell Carter Jr. might be a touch too much for Orlando's tastes, but lower-level draft equity should be fair game.

Don't see the point of this deal for Orlando at all. They have 20 million-ish in cap space so they could just sign Monk if they wanted him instead of signing trading. Also that is a lot of salary to bring back at nearly 20 million. Would rather just use that on a difference making free agent.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#1433 » by MPM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:20 pm

Tough to get a handle on this team in terms of FA - if Turner (or another big) is really is in play for a trade, it changes quite a lot in regard to how we approach the FA market (and draft to some degree).

EDIT - And I just saw Ross' contract runs another two years. So...count me out of the Monk scenario above - thought he was an expiring and never been a huge fan.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#1434 » by Braggins » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm

We should definitely trade Monk for two worse players. Good job guys.
MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#1435 » by MPM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Braggins wrote:We should definitely trade Monk for two worse players. Good job guys.

Monk's definitely a hot-button name here so hate even dipping my toe into these waters, but - for me, personally - I rate Bamba as highly as Monk - think he's shown a steadier upward trajectory and fills a position of need that's a bit more difficult to come by than streaky undersized sharpshooter. Again, I know I'm in the minority here, so willing to suffer the slings and arrows.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1436 » by BigSlam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm

MPM wrote:
Braggins wrote:We should definitely trade Monk for two worse players. Good job guys.

Monk's definitely a hot-button name here so hate even dipping my toe into these waters, but - for me, personally - I rate Bamba as highly as Monk - think he's shown a steadier upward trajectory and fills a position of need that's a bit more difficult to come by than streaky undersized sharpshooter. Again, I know I'm in the minority here, so willing to suffer the slings and arrows.

I’m with you MPM - I’d take a a still young C with great size and good mobility who can block shots, rebound, has good hands and can shoot 3’s over Monk (who I agree is replaceable with how guard heavy the prospects are in the upcoming draft - or even with Riller who we already have).

Heck, TBH I’d even trade Monk straight up for Bamba at the moment.
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,142

Post#1437 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm

This is a decent trade if we are moving on from Monk. Bamba has some good upside still and Ross is the three point shooting we need.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,062

Post#1438 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:46 pm

Rich4114 wrote:This is a decent trade if we are moving on from Monk. Bamba has some good upside still and Ross is the three point shooting we need.

This trade could make sense, if we had no other options and we were a capped out team in the middle of the year.

However, we have 30 million in cap space a pick around 10 and we could just say F it and let Monk walk. This would be a trade I consider as a 5th or 6th option if all other plans fail first. Would you be happy to sign Ross to a 2/24 contract this summer using cap space if that was an option? If not then that part of the trade makes no sense.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#1439 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:33 pm

I read that the Warriors are looking for another All-Star piece to add and could package #7 + Wiseman + Wiggins. Not sure if Hayward is the calibre of All-Star they are looking for, but the contracts definitely match up? With 7 +11 we could move into the top-3 and snag Green or Barnes while also landing our missing piece at center with Wiseman, who we really wanted last year.

To walk out of back-to-back drafts with LaMelo, Wiseman and Green would be Mitch Magic, for sure.

Is this fair value for both sides? It seems to favor us more and I would think the Ws are looking for more of a Dame/Tatum level of player.

Thoughts?
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#1440 » by driveandkick » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:I read that the Warriors are looking for another All-Star piece to add and could package #7 + Wiseman + Wiggins. Not sure if Hayward is the calibre of All-Star they are looking for, but the contracts definitely match up? With 7 +11 we could move into the top-3 and snag Green or Barnes while also landing our missing piece at center with Wiseman, who we really wanted last year.

To walk out of back-to-back drafts with LaMelo, Wiseman and Green would be Mitch Magic, for sure.

Is this fair value for both sides? It seems to favor us more and I would think the Ws are looking for more of a Dame/Tatum level of player.

Thoughts?

I can’t imagine they would do this but that would be an incredible haul.

I wonder if something like Hayward + 11 for Wiseman + 7 + Wiggins is more likely.

Return to Charlotte Hornets