ImageImageImageImage

Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#221 » by RookieStar » Thu May 20, 2021 4:06 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Isaac and who? Wagner? Chuma? They aren't full-time PFs One is a SF trying to play-up the other is a 3rs string big that can probably give you spot minutes at PF.

That's what I meant by lack of PFs. Its only the oft-injured JI that is our "real" PF.

I know some people will disagree with this, but I think Okeke is a more of an undersized PF who is, unfortunately, a bad rebounder more than he is a natural wing.

I feel comfortable with Isaac as the starting power forward next year and Okeke working as a backup 3/4 playing 20-25 MPG.

I feel the same regarding JI. Full time PF. Okeke i think if he goes back to his slim and cut college days would be effective at the 3.

Thus this is what i meant by lack of real PFs and if thr FO thinks like I do, thrn they might gamble on Jalen, who despite trying to.be a SF, has the build speed and fluidity of a PF
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#222 » by Magic_Kingdom » Fri May 21, 2021 12:55 pm

I don't think the Magic draft room will be thinking we are good at PF because we have Isaac coming back next year. They almost have to assume the opposite -- that this team doesn't have a starting PF. Until he proves otherwise, Isaac is most likely good for 20 to 40 games per year.

Having said that, the team is bad enough that it doesn't matter and they have to go best player available with their pick and the Chicago pick. Weltman and Hammond are entering Year 5 and they haven't added a star to the team.

I like Moses Moody from Arkansas with the Bulls' pick if he's available. If he's not available, James Bouknight from UConn.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,450

Post#223 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:27 pm

Dream scenario

#1 - Cade Cunningham

#8 - Scottie Barnes (drops a little)

Not dream, but would still be ecstatic scenario

#3 - Jalen Green

#9 - Josh Giddey

Likely scenario

#5 - Jonathan Kuminga

#10 - Keon Johnson
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#224 » by drsd » Sat May 22, 2021 10:07 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Dream scenario

#1 - Cade Cunningham

#3 - Jalen Green

#9 - Josh Giddey

Likely scenario

#5 - Jonathan Kuminga

#10 - Keon Johnson

This is actually probably spot-on.

My tankathon pull today was 1 and 10.

So Cunningham and Johnson; I am really ok with that !

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#225 » by Knightro » Sat May 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:I don't think the Magic draft room will be thinking we are good at PF because we have Isaac coming back next year. They almost have to assume the opposite -- that this team doesn't have a starting PF. Until he proves otherwise, Isaac is most likely good for 20 to 40 games per year.

I can understand being hesitant to pen him into a lineup due to his injuries, but from a contractual standpoint, the front office gave Isaac a straight four-year extension with no way for the team to escape early.

They clearly envision him as a big part of things moving forward based on contract alone.

Compare that with Fultz who essentially got a contract for half as long and for less money despite being younger and arguably playing a more premium position.

Isaac, to me anyway, is clearly someone the front office sees as a huge part of the future.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#226 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 22, 2021 3:07 pm

Knightro wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:I don't think the Magic draft room will be thinking we are good at PF because we have Isaac coming back next year. They almost have to assume the opposite -- that this team doesn't have a starting PF. Until he proves otherwise, Isaac is most likely good for 20 to 40 games per year.

I can understand being hesitant to pen him into a lineup due to his injuries, but from a contractual standpoint, the front office gave Isaac a straight four-year extension with no way for the team to escape early.

They clearly envision him as a big part of things moving forward based on contract alone.

Compare that with Fultz who essentially got a contract for half as long and for less money despite being younger and arguably playing a more premium position.

Isaac, to me anyway, is clearly someone the front office sees as a huge part of the future.

This and the fact that Orlando’s F rotation is basically:
Porter, Ennis, Bacon, Ross, and Okeke. So a bunch of dudes nobody expects to be on the roster in a few years and Okeke.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#227 » by zaymon » Sat May 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Knightro wrote:

I agree, our front office seems very emotinally invested into Isaac and there is a good reason to. There are like 3 players who can defend like him in the world. Still they were pragmatic enough to have the ability to void it in case of another knee injury. I dont know why so little people noticed how we treated Fultz. He got a short contract, not fully guaranteed and low starter money.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#228 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:54 pm

You can be emotinally invested as much as you want, it still doesn't change fact that Isaac's exstension is grose overpay for player that never plays, who has bummed knees & who has no offensive game.
Esencially you are burning $20M a year on better defensive version of Ibaka who just happend to have knees of Derrick Rose.

As far as Fulrz goes, he is pretty much top 5 worst starter at position and he was that before he blew up his knee.

If we draft Cade he will instantlly become best Magic player, that also speeks valumen about level of talent this team has. Hint. it's not that great level of talent.

This doesn't even take in account that once Isaac & Fultz return they will be slower , rusty and there will be no 3 solid nba starting players like they had in past for safe net, and they will be pushed into bigger roles. Roles they showed on capability of handling.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#229 » by tiderulz » Sat May 22, 2021 3:59 pm

zaymon wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I agree, our front office seems very emotinally invested into Isaac and there is a good reason to. There are like 3 players who can defend like him in the world. Still they were pragmatic enough to have the ability to void it in case of another knee injury. I dont know why so little people noticed how we treated Fultz. He got a short contract, not fully guaranteed and low starter money.

the legend of Isaac continues to grow. i get that he is a very good defender, but he is not on some pedestal.

GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#230 » by GelbeWand09 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:57 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Knightro wrote:

the legend of Isaac continues to grow. i get that he is a very good defender, but he is not on some pedestal.

''defend like him'' probably doesnt mean top 3 defender (but he was clearly top 5 til his injury) & more his archetype. How many players are able to defend on a really high level on the perimeter, defend 1-5, disrupting passing lanes & are at the same time elite rim protectors & help defenders?

Question is more if he is still able to do this after his injury.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#231 » by zaymon » Sat May 22, 2021 6:28 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:

''defend like him'' probably doesnt mean top 3 defender (but he was clearly top 5 til his injury) & more his archetype. How many players are able to defend on a really high level on the perimeter, defend 1-5, disrupting passing lanes & are at the same time elite rim protectors & help defenders?

Question is more if he is still able to do this after his injury.

Yes i mean the archetype thank you. Giannis, AD, Draymond, maybe Siakam thats really the whole archetype. Carter, Isaac and Okeke could propably defend in multiple coverages. Both Weltman and Clifford seem to be prioritizing those kind of players at frontcourt positions.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#232 » by RookieStar » Sat May 22, 2021 8:35 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I think it's the fact that he is 7ft with freakish wingspan and lane agility coupled with the bbiq and skill to be able to defend like that makes him that unique. I mean if we talk about defenders, there are a lot of Thabo, Smart, Green, Brooks that can lock up the perimeter but get demolished when they are sucked into the paint due to their height and body.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#233 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 22, 2021 8:43 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Dream scenario

#1 - Cade Cunningham

#3 - Jalen Green

#9 - Josh Giddey

Likely scenario

#5 - Jonathan Kuminga

#10 - Keon Johnson

Cade would be ideal. Green would be good too.

The rest? I’m guessing you aren’t putting a premium on Orlando ever shooting the basketball.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#234 » by tiderulz » Sat May 22, 2021 9:12 pm

RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:

I think it's the fact that he is 7ft with freakish wingspan and lane agility coupled with the bbiq and skill to be able to defend like that makes him that unique. I mean if we talk about defenders, there are a lot of Thabo, Smart, Green, Brooks that can lock up the perimeter but get demolished when they are sucked into the paint due to their height and body.

his wingspan is 7'1. that isnt freakish. Freakish is Bamba's 7'10" wingpsan.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#235 » by RookieStar » Sat May 22, 2021 9:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:the legend of Isaac continues to grow. i get that he is a very good defender, but he is not on some pedestal.

my bad with the wording "freakish" All 7feet-ish wingspan I already think is above average.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#236 » by basketballRob » Sat May 22, 2021 11:18 pm

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:the legend of Isaac continues to grow. i get that he is a very good defender, but he is not on some pedestal.

Isaac's wingspan is 7'6", you're still using his wingspan that was measured before a growth spurt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#237 » by SOUL » Sat May 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Isaac is not an overpay in terms of money or talent, it's the risk factor involved with his injury history. Classic underrating of his offense (it's not bad, he just can't create by himself) and no coincidence that we looked like we knew where to be defensively as ta team when he was on the court to be the glue, plus he is DPOY level defense.

Biggest risk factor is his injuries of course, but he is still young and plenty of players have come back from ACL stuff.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#238 » by tiderulz » Sun May 23, 2021 1:58 am

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Isaac's wingspan is 7'6", you're still using his wingspan that was measured before a growth spurt.

and where are you getting the 7'6 from?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#239 » by basketballRob » Sun May 23, 2021 2:44 am

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:his wingspan is 7'1. that isnt freakish. Freakish is Bamba's 7'10" wingpsan.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/strong-bond-already-forming-between-isaac-and-bamba-20180704

He also measured 6'11" last year without shoes.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#240 » by RookieStar » Sun May 23, 2021 3:01 am

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Isaac's wingspan is 7'6", you're still using his wingspan that was measured before a growth spurt.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/strong-bond-already-forming-between-isaac-and-bamba-20180704

He also measured 6'11" last year without shoes.

yeah.. i read quite a lot in that article until they mentioned Isaac 7'6 wingspan and Bambas 7'10 wingspan.

I guess its natural he grew. ay that time of the article he was 6'11 222lbs as well.

seriously though, a lot of pics showed he is taller than Vucs 7ft height. but he keeps saying he doesnt want to be called a 7footer(lol)

Return to Orlando Magic