Play-In #2: Thursday

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Re: Play-In #2: Thursday 

Post#41 » by Pacersike » Fri May 21, 2021 2:31 am

boomershadow wrote:The ending to this season pretty accurately sums up how I felt about it most of the way through.

Sabonis fouling out when down 29, getting high praise for his mighty triple double, especially sums it up.

Nate with the supreme positivity pipedream about our Allstar, should have divided his positivity over more individuals.
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#42 » by OnFire » Fri May 21, 2021 2:47 am

Press Con concluded. Nate went through it rather well. Probably his last.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#43 » by Topofthekey » Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 am

Pacersike wrote:
boomershadow wrote:The ending to this season pretty accurately sums up how I felt about it most of the way through.

Sabonis fouling out when down 29, getting high praise for his mighty triple double, especially sums it up.

Nate with the supreme positivity pipedream about our Allstar, should have divided his positivity over more individuals.

Domas shouldn't be seen as a one man scoring weapon, he should be given a partner in crime in order to be at his most effective

If we're going to build around Domas, then this is the most pressing thing in the offseason, to look for a suitable partner for Domas

LeVert is nice, but he isn't it
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#44 » by davidfr94 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:45 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Pacersike wrote:

Domas shouldn't be seen as a one man scoring weapon, he should be given a partner in crime in order to be at his most effective

If we're going to build around Domas, then this is the most pressing thing in the offseason, to look for a suitable partner for Domas

I dont think we can/should build around domas.
It is not that hard to game plan against him.
He has trouble against players with length and/or size and/or strength.
He can't shoot, has no post moves aside from that left hand hook shot.
He really needs to improve this summer.
He has been pretty underwhelming this summer when facing top teams.

I love him but we need at least two elite Defenders next to him because he is terrible defensively.

Imo Turner is more important to our team success and if i had to trade one of them i would choose Sabonis without hesitation.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#45 » by boomershadow » Fri May 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Pacersike wrote:

I don't think Domas can be a superstar one man show like NBA fans love to see. I do think he can be the best player on a team full of good players.

My opinion is that we haven't really seen much Sabonis/Levert action and can't say that for sure yet. I think we can safely say it isn't Sabonis/Brogdon.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#46 » by Tom White » Fri May 21, 2021 1:48 pm

OnFire wrote:Press Con concluded. Nate went through it rather well. Probably his last.

For some reason, I paid more attention than usual to what Nate was saying last night when they had a mic on him. Afterwards, I wondered why I did that.

When they did the regular between 1st & 2nd quarters short blurb with him I wondered if I'd ever heard a coach talk more and actually say less. I came away from that thinking "What the hell did he say?"

Then they had a mic on him during a time out in (I think) the 3rd quarter.....the team was behind by 29 at that point. He just kept repeating over and over "they had 4 layups and 2 free throws, they had 4 layups and 2 free throw...." rinse and repeat. Nothing at all about scheme, or changing positioning, or (God forbid) changing the lineup that would then try to stop the layup parade.

Then at another point he tells Sabonis he knows he is in foul trouble, but doesn't intend to take him out. Just don't foul anymore.

What?

He had to be the most uninspiring coach I've ever heard. After listening to all that, I'm more convinced than ever this guy doesn't have a clue how to communicate with the players, or how to make adjustments to what they are doing. It is no wonder that (as posted earlier on this board) Pritchard had to tell him to stop with the gimmick defenses, instead of seeing for himself what was or was not working.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#47 » by Wizop » Fri May 21, 2021 2:06 pm

if you haven't been reading Caitlin on indycornrows you really should. here Xs and Os are terrific. last night she was Tweeting follow-ups to her article that explained why we were defending Westbrook wrong.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#48 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 21, 2021 2:28 pm

Tom White wrote:
OnFire wrote:Press Con concluded. Nate went through it rather well. Probably his last.

For some reason, I paid more attention than usual to what Nate was saying last night when they had a mic on him. Afterwards, I wondered why I did that.

When they did the regular between 1st & 2nd quarters short blurb with him I wondered if I'd ever heard a coach talk more and actually say less. I came away from that thinking "What the hell did he say?"

Then they had a mic on him during a time out in (I think) the 3rd quarter.....the team was behind by 29 at that point. He just kept repeating over and over "they had 4 layups and 2 free throws, they had 4 layups and 2 free throw...." rinse and repeat. Nothing at all about scheme, or changing positioning, or (God forbid) changing the lineup that would then try to stop the layup parade.

Then at another point he tells Sabonis he knows he is in foul trouble, but doesn't intend to take him out. Just don't foul anymore.

What?

He had to be the most uninspiring coach I've ever heard. After listening to all that, I'm more convinced than ever this guy doesn't have a clue how to communicate with the players, or how to make adjustments to what they are doing. It is no wonder that (as posted earlier on this board) Pritchard had to tell him to stop with the gimmick defenses, instead of seeing for himself what was or was not working.

Also, maybe you noticed, or not, but this year, only Nate appeared in those between quarter interviews. In previous years, McMillan rotated the entire coaching staff in that spot, so Bayno, Popeye, and Burke all did some of those interviews. But Bjorkgren hasn’t allowed his assistants any of those opportunities, or any press conference appearances, or anything else of the sort. Bjorkgren’s voice is the only one that he will let out of the coaching staff.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by Tom White » Fri May 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Also, maybe you noticed, or not, but this year, only Nate appeared in those between quarter interviews. In previous years, McMillan rotated the entire coaching staff in that spot, so Bayno, Popeye, and Burke all did some of those interviews. But Bjorkgren hasn’t allowed his assistants any of those opportunities, or any press conference appearances, or anything else of the sort. Bjorkgren’s voice is the only one that he will let out of the coaching staff.

I have noticed that, but wasn't sure if it was his decision, or if the new staff wasn't as comfortable doing the quarter break/halftime segments as the old staff was. Each of the old staff seemed to enjoy it, albeit in different ways. They each showed their own personalities, and sense of humor, in those segments. That previous staff was a bunch of veterans that wasn't phased by much. The new staff? Who knows?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Also, maybe you noticed, or not, but this year, only Nate appeared in those between quarter interviews. In previous years, McMillan rotated the entire coaching staff in that spot, so Bayno, Popeye, and Burke all did some of those interviews. But Bjorkgren hasn’t allowed his assistants any of those opportunities, or any press conference appearances, or anything else of the sort. Bjorkgren’s voice is the only one that he will let out of the coaching staff.

I have noticed that, but wasn't sure if it was his decision, or if the new staff wasn't as comfortable doing it as the old staff was. Each of the old staff seemed to enjoy it, albeit in different ways. They each showed their own personalities, and sense of humor, in those segments. That previous staff was a bunch of veterans that wasn't phased by much. The new staff? Who knows?

According to reports, they all would prefer to do those things. These are mostly young guys that have hopes of ascending the ladder going forward, either at NBA or college levels, so interviews are things they would prefer to do to develop those types of skills. It’s one of the many reasons those guys are all looking for jobs elsewhere ASAP.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by Tom White » Fri May 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:It’s one of the many reasons those guys are all looking for jobs elsewhere ASAP.

Had not heard about that either. Man, they have a mess on their hands.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#52 » by boomershadow » Fri May 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Just for comparison, in the Lakers games I've watched Frank Vogel did his after quarter interviews too instead of his assistants. They're not jumping ship asap even though the media would love that story.

That situation is super different than ours, but basically I think that's a nonissue at best. At worst it is a symptom of bigger problems. It's not the main problem or the solution to any bigger problems.

Return to Indiana Pacers