ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1841 » by FreeSpiritNY » Fri May 21, 2021 12:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Davis18 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
That's true across baseball. Baseball has a problem it needs to fix. I think they're going to enact a rule and define "Illegal Defense" to include defensive shifts which are really screwing up the game. Most sports have "illegal defense" rules so why not baseball too? It would be great place to start.

Analytics is bad for baseball.
Game is hard to watch these days.
It is so dry and artificial.
Thank goodness for Knicks.

It’s a rare occasion when I watch a baseball game from start to finish. That almost 3:30-4 hours. Can’t do it. I’ll usually check in around the 5th or 6th inning. If it’s close, I’ll stick around. But it gets more difficult with each passing year.

I’m watching hitters striking out on pitches a good 6-8 inches off the plate.

Yea it’s hard to watch and way to time consuming. Also there is 180 game I wait until around playoffs to watch
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,069

Post#1842 » by thebuzzardman » Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 pm

knicks94 wrote:Yankee fans need to create a petition to have both Thames and Boone fired.

Thames for being responsible for this team having so many hitters in the lineup batting close to .200. How the hell do you get to keep your job with this offense? The Yankees not hitting as many home runs this year as they have in previous seasons is exposing Thames' weaknesses. At least when the ball was flying out of the ball park it masqueraded the lack of situational hitting. Couldn't the Yankees bring in someone from their minor league system who can replace Thames?

Boone for just being a complete idiot. The Yankees win games despite him being incompetent at what he does. Any manager who bats Odor as the clean up hitter has to have their brain examined. He is living proof that being a great clubhouse guy doesn't translate into winning in the playoffs. Billy Martin used to fight with his players, but at least he managed to coach championship teams. Joe Girardi rubbed guys like Jorge Posada and AJ Burnett the wrong way at times, yet every team he managed played with grit and mental toughness. The Yankees need someone who doesn't load manage, doesn't overly depend on analytics and can get the best out of his players without having to be their best friend.

Wasn't Boone picked because he was the most compliant candidate in terms of taking direction from the FO?

I'm not sure all day to day decisions are his alone.

Which makes how it sucks even worse, because the next manager will act the same way, pretty much.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#1843 » by Polk377 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:29 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Yankee fans need to create a petition to have both Thames and Boone fired.

Thames for being responsible for this team having so many hitters in the lineup batting close to .200. How the hell do you get to keep your job with this offense? The Yankees not hitting as many home runs this year as they have in previous seasons is exposing Thames' weaknesses. At least when the ball was flying out of the ball park it masqueraded the lack of situational hitting. Couldn't the Yankees bring in someone from their minor league system who can replace Thames?

Boone for just being a complete idiot. The Yankees win games despite him being incompetent at what he does. Any manager who bats Odor as the clean up hitter has to have their brain examined. He is living proof that being a great clubhouse guy doesn't translate into winning in the playoffs. Billy Martin used to fight with his players, but at least he managed to coach championship teams. Joe Girardi rubbed guys like Jorge Posada and AJ Burnett the wrong way at times, yet every team he managed played with grit and mental toughness. The Yankees need someone who doesn't load manage, doesn't overly depend on analytics and can get the best out of his players without having to be their best friend.

Wasn't Boone picked because he was the most compliant candidate in terms of taking direction from the FO?

I'm not sure all day to day decisions are his alone.

Which makes how it sucks even worse, because the next manager will act the same way, pretty much.

Boone isn't the greatest but at least he isn't Tony La Russa so he has that going for him.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#1844 » by Polk377 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:32 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Davis18 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
That's true across baseball. Baseball has a problem it needs to fix. I think they're going to enact a rule and define "Illegal Defense" to include defensive shifts which are really screwing up the game. Most sports have "illegal defense" rules so why not baseball too? It would be great place to start.

It’s a rare occasion when I watch a baseball game from start to finish. That almost 3:30-4 hours. Can’t do it. I’ll usually check in around the 5th or 6th inning. If it’s close, I’ll stick around. But it gets more difficult with each passing year.

Does it cut into your daily naps Wingo?
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1845 » by GEOLINK » Fri May 21, 2021 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,914

Post#1846 » by knicks94 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:22 pm

Cashman will just replace Hicks with more guys that cannot hit.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#1847 » by ccvle » Fri May 21, 2021 10:30 pm

Don't really mind the hick injury. I'm just not impressed with him even when he is playing. I hope this will open up opportunities for others ( mkre andujar in left or maybe even Estevan later in the summer)
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1848 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 22, 2021 1:00 am

Both the Yankees and White Sox batters have struck out 24 times by both starting pitchers today. :noway:
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1849 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 22, 2021 1:54 am

What were the odds of turning a triple play there! :lol:
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1850 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 22, 2021 2:04 am

You guys wanted the contact hitting? There you go!
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1851 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 22, 2021 2:07 am

GEOLINK wrote:Both the Yankees and White Sox batters have struck out 24 times by both starting pitchers today. :noway:

Final total: 26k's.

Modern baseball. Gotta love it.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1852 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 22, 2021 2:09 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does anyone ever care when Hicks get hurt?

I consider the DL to be his default setting, and when he plays it's a nice surprise.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1853 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 22, 2021 2:15 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does anyone ever care when Hicks get hurt?

I consider the DL to be his default setting, and when he plays it's a nice surprise.

Every time his bat gets hot, he gets hurt. Pretty much sums up his entire run as a Yankee.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1854 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 22, 2021 2:16 am

Can the Rays f*ck off already? These guys can trade their entire roster and still be in the mix. :banghead:
Davis18
Senior
And1: 694

Post#1855 » by Davis18 » Sat May 22, 2021 2:35 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yankees need change and should start with Cashman.
I am getting sick of his pet projects.
Why does he run a team like Rays?
And losing to them constantly.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1856 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 22, 2021 2:37 am

Davis18 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yankees need change and should start with Cashman.
I am getting sick of his pet projects.
Why does he run a team like Rays?
And losing to them constantly.

Hal should give the Rays GM a blank check. If he can run a team with no budget this good and be ahead of the curve, imagine what he can do with an unlimited budget.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,914

Post#1857 » by knicks94 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:05 am

The Rays know how to draft the right talent, something the Yankees have been terrible at under Cashman. Robby Cano,Brett Gardner and Aaron Judge are the only position players that were worth something coming out of the Yankee system these past two decades. I don’t count Gary Sánchez because he was an international signing,but my point is that Cashman’s team has not been very good when it comes to evaluating minor league talent.The Rays are sort of forced to depend on home grown talent, while Cashman has had the safety net of the Steinbrenners’ checkbook.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#1858 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 22, 2021 4:31 am

Polk377 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Davis18 wrote:

Does it cut into your daily naps Wingo?

Haha, no. Never. Naps are waaaaaay too important. :lol: If I do power nap, by the time I get up its still like only the 4th inning.

Don't ever disrespect The Nap. You'll see.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#1859 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 22, 2021 4:34 am

So here's my idea to shorten the game and move it along at a more exciting pace. From the 7th inning on, the count shrinks by one pitch for each Balls and Strikes. So, for example, once the 7th inning starts it only takes 3 ball for a BB and only 2 strikes for a K. But you can't strike out on a foul ball second strike.

Would do you think?

I think it's up there with my "Moving baskets" in basketball.
Free Palestine
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,227

Post#1860 » by Papi_swav » Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 am

Never though I'd see the day our starting pitching is better than our offense

Return to New York Knicks