Fire Steve Kerr

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,035

Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#1 » by Jester_ » Sat May 22, 2021 3:59 am

discuss
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#2 » by cpower » Sat May 22, 2021 4:03 am

its on Myers and our owners. biggest payroll with the worst talent..i can do better than them.
Currygoat
Senior
And1: 821

Post#3 » by Currygoat » Sat May 22, 2021 6:20 am

Who’s idea was to let Ja Morant shoot warm up jumpers all game. I’ve seen the worse nba shooters make 10 in a row in warmups if left wide open. Stupid game plan by Kerr we let him get to comfortable
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#4 » by Phase 3 » Sat May 22, 2021 6:37 am

He’s not going anywhere but he had a bad year. Not as awful as the front office but still pretty bad. It’s tough to match the level of failure that Myers and the Lacob kids brought to the table this season. I don’t think I could put together a less talented offensive roster around Steph if I tried...impressive stuff.

Back to Kerr...IMO he needs to get the hunger back that he had in his earlier years as a coach. It doesn’t seem like he even enjoys coaching that much.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#5 » by Frozzy » Sat May 22, 2021 6:40 am

Kerr definitely lost his edge this year. I don't understand all the skipped practices.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,763

Post#6 » by Upperclass » Sat May 22, 2021 6:41 am

Kerr coached his azz off after they decided to stop tanking. He lost the Lakers game by leaving jta on the bench late but he didn't lose vs the grizzlies. It was just time for them to lose to a deeper, hungrier squad
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Sat May 22, 2021 6:41 am

Phase 3 wrote:He’s not going anywhere but he had a bad year. Not as awful as the front office but still pretty bad. It’s tough to match the level of failure that Myers and the Lacob kids brought to the table this season. I don’t think I could put together a less talented offensive roster around Steph if I tried...impressive stuff.

Back to Kerr...IMO he needs to get the hunger back that he had in his earlier years as a coach. It doesn’t seem like he even enjoys coaching that much.

Kerr has more passion talking about social political issues than coaching it seems. That is until he's asked about China.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#8 » by Phase 3 » Sat May 22, 2021 6:44 am

killmongrel wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:He’s not going anywhere but he had a bad year. Not as awful as the front office but still pretty bad. It’s tough to match the level of failure that Myers and the Lacob kids brought to the table this season. I don’t think I could put together a less talented offensive roster around Steph if I tried...impressive stuff.

Kerr has more passion talking about social political issues than coaching it seems. That is until he's asked about China.

He just seemed joyless for most of this year. Like he’s in pain or something...I don’t know if he’s still experiencing health issues but something is up.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,681

Post#9 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat May 22, 2021 11:19 am

He did a commendable job particularly on defense, had guys buying in... but his in game adjustments, end of game plays have a lot to be desired, actually it seems to me he has never been good on those areas, feel like he failed a lot of tight games....
Stephen was super tight on those situations too, not a good combination
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#10 » by mos_def » Sat May 22, 2021 11:40 am

cpower wrote:its on Myers and our owners. biggest payroll with the worst talent..i can do better than them.

Stop it! Kerr has only unleashed Curry upon the league with 2 mvps and nominated this year.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#11 » by mos_def » Sat May 22, 2021 11:41 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:He did a commendable job particularly on defense, had guys buying in... but his in game adjustments, end of game plays have a lot to be desired, actually it seems to me he has never been good on those areas, feel like he failed a lot of tight games....
Stephen was super tight on those situations too, not a good combination

Tho those critiques are valid, I think Kerr is more a players coach who makes the players decide the game. How many times have we seen Kerr during timeout say, take a breathe we can play and not draw anything?
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,294

Post#12 » by NeoWarriors » Sat May 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,303

Post#13 » by Sleepy51 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:53 pm

What I saw was a broken roster with a mixed mission to start the year. Win & develop may not be impossible, but you probably can't do both at any serious high level. We won a little and developed a little. That's about what was possible.

I saw Kerr try to develop a not NBA ready prospect with mixed results, but clear progress occurring right at the moment JW's injury happened. I saw him try to maximize a low IQ, historically negative, high $ free agent acquisition by putting him in the limited positions where he could succeed for us. I saw Kerr recognize and make space for Jordan Poole to bring his talent to the NBA stage while also trying to help Poole learn how to play with Curry and within the system. I saw Andrew Wiggins become a DOMINANT defender and more than passable contributor to a contender next season basically erasing the negative asset stigma attached to the remaining years on Wiggins contract. I saw Kerr try to protect and preserve Curry as much as possible, while letting him have room to win a scoring title and come in a likely 2nd for MVP (and still Curry ended up gassed in the extra frames of the two most consequential games.) I would say unequivocally that the much maligned Curry substitution patter was largely vindicated. Curry's rest schedule clearly improved Curry's ability to be effective in closing minutes of halves and games. Playing him more resulted in getting less in the final moments. I saw our bench actually get meaningfully better at playing Warriors basketball during the 8 man run. The guys with high IQ's were able to move the ball and create a number of great shots by passing on the good shot and I saw them actually WIN bench minutes a few times down the stretch. That progress was all on coaching and all on commitment to our system despite all the voices clamoring for more Hardenball to make life easier on the dummies.

OTOH, I saw WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much Wannamaker. Too much trust in Bazemore. Not enough trust in Lee. No development of any ancillary skills in Paschall (probably more on the player than the coach, but Kerr is in the big chair.) A broken development strategy for Wiseman for much of the year (but possibly a front office mandate rather than a coaching choice). ​I saw in game and playcall mistakes, some of which he admitted to. I saw way too much sensitivity and pride in the media, trying to "win the argument in the press" (take another page out of Pop's book coach and don't coach your team in the press...at all.)

Overall, I saw a pretty good coaching job amidst pretty difficult circumstances, with some missteps. Certainly nothing firing-worthy.

I doubt he's even on the hotseat next year. Myers would most assuredly go first. If Meyers does have a "failure" offseason and gets the axe after another season limited by the roster, only then would Kerr be next in line (only because Lacob can't fire himself.)
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#14 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:25 pm

Don't need to kick Kerr to the curb, but Kerr does need more help on the bench.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#15 » by Onus » Sat May 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Kerr isn’t a developmental coach. He wasn’t ready to coach such a young and inexperienced roster. He’s fine with vets.

But his not prioritizing winning throughout the season cost us. Imagine a coach saying if I had to win a game tomorrow we would change the starting lineup and then run the same lineup throughout the season. Imagine a coach saying we aren’t chasing wins. And imagine said coach is coaching the best player in the league at the same time as saying these things. And people wonder why we were the 8th seed and only 39-33. Kerr probably cost Curry an mvp this year as well being a 5th seed by not prioritizing winning throughout the year.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#16 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 3:00 pm

Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#17 » by Money_ » Sat May 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Kerr himself talked about how much fun he had coaching this year. He actually had to coach...
And I for one, thought he did damn good job considering what he had to work with.
We can second guess all kinds of things after a bad loss, but it's silly.
They didn't match or surpass the Grizz's intensity all night. The players didn't want it more than Grizz did, plain and simple.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#18 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Money_ wrote:Kerr himself talked about how much fun he had coaching this year. He actually had to coach...
And I for one, thought he did damn good job considering what he had to work with.
We can second guess all kinds of things after a bad loss, but it's silly.
They didn't match or surpass the Grizz's intensity all night. The players didn't want it more than Grizz did, plain and simple.

Also, the Grizz aren't the most offensively talented team around but they're deep. They played 9 guys double-digit minutes in a 53 minutes game, we played 7 guys. We're a team without great athletes because of years drafting in the late 20s or out of the 1st altogether. And of course we were depleted by injuries and the Grizz got healthy just in time for the end of the season. They have only one guy on the injury report.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#19 » by Jester_ » Sat May 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Great coaches exceed expectations when it matters. I.e Spo (2020), Carlisle (2011), Pop (2013)

Average coaches do well in the season but never exceed expectations in the playoffs. I.e Budenholzer (2016, 2019),

Who does Kerr sound more like?

He's not a bad coach. He's also nowhere close to a great one. He's good at setting good processes and culture. He might be one of the worst in-game coaches in the league. He's also useless at player development - even Mark Jackson was better.

Fire Steve Kerr.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#20 » by Jester_ » Sat May 22, 2021 3:56 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.

There's absolutely nothing impressive about coaching a team with the greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest defensive players of all time to missing the playoffs. Utter nonsense.

Return to Golden State Warriors