ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Year End Presser @ 10am

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Re: Masai Year End Presser @ 10am 

Post#441 » by Par36 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:57 am

Tortiglioni wrote:How can someone watch this and not realize that he's gone?

Very easily. Not sure what video you were watching.
Preliudas
Senior
And1: 457

Post#442 » by Preliudas » Fri May 21, 2021 11:30 am

Possibly, but why don't you bring up some points from that press-conference which indicate that Masai is leaving ?
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,945

Post#443 » by Tortiglioni » Fri May 21, 2021 2:02 pm

Preliudas wrote:

Possibly, but why don't you bring up some points from that press-conference which indicate that Masai is leaving ?

It really has to do with body language, emotional tells, and the nature of some of his repeated comments regarding family and exploring options (incl. beyond basketball), along with his deliberate deferral of extension discussions. Masai is an incredibly honest and passionate person, and I felt it was pretty clear watching this which direction he is leaning (hard). The biggest giveaway was his inability to hold back tears when asked about comments made by players/coaches in regard to him (as a leader, etc.). Masai loves the team, the city, etc., and poured everything he had into the franchise, but he's moving on to bigger things (in the U.S.), and this isn't easy for him. The talk about asks from ownership seems to me to really be about doing as much as he can before leaving, to advocate for Bobby, etc., and to ensure the franchise is able to continue building on what he's done here. Masai realizes (and basically states) that ownership would be give him any reasonable ask, so it's really about bigger issues (re his ambitions, larger goals beyond basketball, etc.).

Is he 100% decided? Probably not. But after watching the presser, I would be very surprised if he stays.

(Yes, I realize many will consider my post speculative nonsense, but I'm just stating what is clear from watching the video.)
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#444 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Tortiglioni wrote:
Preliudas wrote:

It really has to do with body language, emotional tells, and the nature of some of his repeated comments regarding family and exploring options (incl. beyond basketball), along with his deliberate deferral of extension discussions.

Ah, so you've got nothing.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#445 » by MixxSRC » Fri May 21, 2021 3:29 pm

He may or may not be gone
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,945

Post#446 » by Tortiglioni » Fri May 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:
Preliudas wrote:

It really has to do with body language, emotional tells, and the nature of some of his repeated comments regarding family and exploring options (incl. beyond basketball), along with his deliberate deferral of extension discussions.

Ah, so you've got nothing.

rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#447 » by rrdjutriurt » Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Seems to me Masai was just recently raving about how incredibly lucky he felt about doing something he loves doing so much. Sounded to me like there's no question he still wants to be a GM and he loves and always raves about Toronto also. He stay for sure!
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#448 » by Raps1103 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 pm

ruckus wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:Finally got around to watching the presser. What an incredible man Masai is. If it wasn't evident before, this man bleeds for our team. How can anyone dislike him or overtly question his decision making? I don't want to see any slander of him or any Pooh Pooh-ing * wink wink* of this man ever again. We must protect him and keep him at all costs.

For the record, I thought he got emotional because of what was said about him as opposed to him leaving. It sounds to me like he has unfinished business here and he wants to bring more championships to Toronto. However, it does sound like he has legitimate gripes with ownership. If you're MLSE, you have to do what he says because the way he talks up the Raptors, you'd assume if he was given what he wants that he'll be able to just build the team to a status that'll ultimately make more money for MLSE.

The same way we talk about a statue of Kyle outside ACC, we need to start talking about a Builder's category for jersey retirement/statue for Masai outside the Arena. This man is a treasure. Can't say enough good things about him!

Personal Attack and Baiting.

What a joke of a “warning “ how do we hold these Mods accountable ? They’re a joke.. they have their fav posters who troll and bash the team with baseless negativity.. and get NOTHING IN THE WAY OF WARNINGS OR BANS... and this guy makes a tiny word play joke.. of this Mods favourite poster .. and gets a warning .. seriously .. how do we get rid of this mod, and his pathetic power tripping??

Not a mod but I assume you'd start by not calling them out publically. PM'ing the other mods and getting Howard involved if you feel that strongly about it is probably the best avenue.

Oh I’ve done that before too.. the other mods didn’t even respond !! It’s pretty funny !
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,847

Post#449 » by rocky_da_best » Fri May 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Raps1103 wrote:
ruckus wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:

What a joke of a “warning “ how do we hold these Mods accountable ? They’re a joke.. they have their fav posters who troll and bash the team with baseless negativity.. and get NOTHING IN THE WAY OF WARNINGS OR BANS... and this guy makes a tiny word play joke.. of this Mods favourite poster .. and gets a warning .. seriously .. how do we get rid of this mod, and his pathetic power tripping??

Not a mod but I assume you'd start by not calling them out publically. PM'ing the other mods and getting Howard involved if you feel that strongly about it is probably the best avenue.

Oh I’ve done that before too.. the other mods didn’t even respond !! It’s pretty funny !

Be careful. I got a ban for simply responding to Ramed the other day in this thread lol. STOP DERAILING OMGGG :lol: As if RGM isn't just a collection of people taking over each other on the internet and derailing each other lmao
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#450 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 21, 2021 8:53 pm

douggood wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
MavCarter wrote:The NBA bidding process is much more competitive than the NHL. You would have to be 100% certain that TL and his potential ownership group would be the only bidders/highest bidders for a potential team.

Conversely, the Liewekes already have the dual-purpose arena ready, and are proving out their viability as professional sports franchise owners with the launch of the Kraken. Coupled with Tim's direct experience in the NBA, I don't see the combination of a
state of the art arena ($1B investment in Seattle's KeyArena) + proven ownership losing. Since it's doubtful there will be many top-tier suitors willing to assume the risk of constructing an arena in advance, this puts them in a unique situation.

TL and oakview are in the business of building, managing and running arenas. oakview has no ownership of the NHL team in seattle, they just manage the arena.

Arena is owned by the city, team is owned by some rich investment banker but public face of owership is jerry Bruckheimer.

plus its not a sure thing the NBA will expand, there was talk of that because of pandemic losses, but marc cuban said they arent interested in bringing another partner to split up the next tv deal.

David Bonderman is the principle owner of the Hockey team. He's also the guy who will fund the NBA's return to Seattle (expansion fee). Bonderman currently is a minority owner of the Boston Celtics (owns 10%).

Tim Leiweke is responsible for the Arena. His company is renovating & operating the building. That's it.

Meanwhile, his brother Tod is running the Hockey team.

NBA Expansion will be taking place. The Bonderman group have been planning for it for some time. It's all but a done deal.

But in the meantime, Hockey has been the top priority. The NHL expansion draft will be held in July. The Kraken will take the ice this October.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 716

Post#451 » by gpoon » Fri May 21, 2021 9:48 pm

Tortiglioni wrote:
Preliudas wrote:

It really has to do with body language, emotional tells, and the nature of some of his repeated comments regarding family and exploring options (incl. beyond basketball), along with his deliberate deferral of extension discussions. Masai is an incredibly honest and passionate person, and I felt it was pretty clear watching this which direction he is leaning (hard). The biggest giveaway was his inability to hold back tears when asked about comments made by players/coaches in regard to him (as a leader, etc.). Masai loves the team, the city, etc., and poured everything he had into the franchise, but he's moving on to bigger things (in the U.S.), and this isn't easy for him. The talk about asks from ownership seems to me to really be about doing as much as he can before leaving, to advocate for Bobby, etc., and to ensure the franchise is able to continue building on what he's done here. Masai realizes (and basically states) that ownership would be give him any reasonable ask, so it's really about bigger issues (re his ambitions, larger goals beyond basketball, etc.).

Is he 100% decided? Probably not. But after watching the presser, I would be very surprised if he stays.

(Yes, I realize many will consider my post speculative nonsense, but I'm just stating what is clear from watching the video.)

I can see what you are saying, but he could very well be expressing indirectly to MLSE what he is looking for. It seems he wants to devote some of his time to other things that are important to him, I really cant see any other organization being able to provide that for him. Masai has built a team he trusts to run the raptors that can operate with very minimal oversight. Masai could very well just be there for the final decisions and inputs. I highly doubt any other team would hire Masai unless he devotes 100% of his time rebuilding the team. just my thoughts.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#452 » by Skeezo » Fri May 21, 2021 10:22 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
douggood wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Conversely, the Liewekes already have the dual-purpose arena ready, and are proving out their viability as professional sports franchise owners with the launch of the Kraken. Coupled with Tim's direct experience in the NBA, I don't see the combination of a
state of the art arena ($1B investment in Seattle's KeyArena) + proven ownership losing. Since it's doubtful there will be many top-tier suitors willing to assume the risk of constructing an arena in advance, this puts them in a unique situation.

TL and oakview are in the business of building, managing and running arenas. oakview has no ownership of the NHL team in seattle, they just manage the arena.

Arena is owned by the city, team is owned by some rich investment banker but public face of owership is jerry Bruckheimer.

plus its not a sure thing the NBA will expand, there was talk of that because of pandemic losses, but marc cuban said they arent interested in bringing another partner to split up the next tv deal.

David Bonderman is the principle owner of the Hockey team. He's also the guy who will fund the NBA's return to Seattle (expansion fee). Bonderman currently is a minority owner of the Boston Celtics (owns 10%).

Tim Leiweke is responsible for the Arena. His company is renovating & operating the building. That's it. Meanwhile, his brother Tod is running the Hockey team (team President).

NBA Expansion will be taking place. The Bonderman group have been planning for it for some time. It's all but a done deal.

But in the meantime, Hockey has been the top priority. The NHL expansion draft will be held in July. The Kraken will take the ice this October.

Are you based in Seattle? Help me understand the fondness for Key Arena (particularly the roof) so much, that the city has now gutted and renovated three times? I mean isn't the cost now like 1.15 billion? Why not a new Arena? Is there something about the location? I'm just very curious about the decision making behind it all.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#453 » by Raps1103 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:58 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
Raps1103 wrote:
ruckus wrote:

Be careful. I got a ban for simply responding to Ramed the other day in this thread lol. STOP DERAILING OMGGG :lol: As if RGM isn't just a collection of people taking over each other on the internet and derailing each other lmao

Oh I know man.. I know
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#454 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 21, 2021 11:31 pm

Skeezo wrote:Are you based in Seattle?

Yes.

Skeezo wrote:Help me understand the fondness for Key Arena (particularly the roof) so much, that the city has now gutted and renovated three times? I mean isn't the cost now like 1.15 billion? Why not a new Arena? Is there something about the location? I'm just very curious about the decision making behind it all.

Key Arena/Seattle Center & the Space Needle we're built for the World's Fair in 1962. The Roof has actually been designated as a Historical Landmark by the city.

Due to politics, a new arena will likely never see the light of day. Key Arena (Now Climate Pledge arena) is a city owned asset. It's been a very messy & controversial topic over the years. So unless you live or are familiar with the politics involved here, then it's kind of hard to understand for most. But basically the city has rejected every arena proposal that didn't involve Key Arena/Seattle Center.

Back in the early 90's, Key was renovated on the cheap. It was a basketball only facility tho. Not big enough to host Hockey. While at the same time also the smallest venue in the NBA. It ultimately led to the Sonics eventual departure.

Fwiw If the Kings had moved here, then Seattle would have gotten a brand new arena.

But due to Sacramento keeping the Kings, the project stalled.

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#455 » by Johnny Bball » Sat May 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
douggood wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Conversely, the Liewekes already have the dual-purpose arena ready, and are proving out their viability as professional sports franchise owners with the launch of the Kraken. Coupled with Tim's direct experience in the NBA, I don't see the combination of a

Tim Leiweke is responsible for the Arena. His company is renovating & operating the building. That's it. Meanwhile, his brother Tod is running the Hockey team (team President).

Both Leiwekes and various people in Toronto with money own part of the Kraken (the team itself) or are shareholders, which ever way you want to word it. The entire reason to invest in the hockey team was to invest in the eventual NBA team, and this I know as a driving reason and as fact.
DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 678

Post#456 » by DangerZone13 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:18 pm

gpoon wrote:I can see what you are saying, but he could very well be expressing indirectly to MLSE what he is looking for. It seems he wants to devote some of his time to other things that are important to him, I really cant see any other organization being able to provide that for him. Masai has built a team he trusts to run the raptors that can operate with very minimal oversight. Masai could very well just be there for the final decisions and inputs. I highly doubt any other team would hire Masai unless he devotes 100% of his time rebuilding the team. just my thoughts.

That's my feeling too: making a public declaration of the support needed to continue to build the Toronto Raptors as a global brand, as opposed to the NBA's ugly duckling. By calling it out publicly, and showing such emotion, Masai has really put MLSE in a tough spot. We fans know what Masai has done since he's arrived; if they don't meet his demands, it won't reflect well on them to fans and shareholders alike. Keep in mind, Masai is a master negotiator, and you know once we won the chip, he was game-planning for these negotiations.

As you said, he has interests outside the NBA, and has assembled a trusted team that he can just have say in the big decisions. You're right that another team would demand his 100% attention, so this could possibly be him bargaining to make this contract his transition phase contract, perhaps moving to a consulting position for Bobby once Masai moves to his next level.

Stress not folks, it will work out as it should.
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 871

Post#457 » by mrsocko » Sat May 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Courtside wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
Def need to get rid of devlin and these clowns who broadcast raps games...clean house finally, please!!

You’re in the minority. Most people don’t have a problem with Matt and Jack.

I'd like a clean slate with the announcers too. Not because they're white, but they've become increasingly annoying and don't have the kind of gravitas to be lifetime guys. During normal seasons they are a mixed bag, but these last two seasons have exposed them badly. New crew please, and if that opens the door to women or POC that is fine - at that point it's an open slate and the selections should be based on merit and good fit.

He has to be wishy washy with personal decisions because last time he gave a “we gave no plans to trade you” certainty it bit him in the ass(Derozan)
Dick expectation level 0/5
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#458 » by Cactus Jack » Sat May 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
douggood wrote:TL and oakview are in the business of building, managing and running arenas. oakview has no ownership of the NHL team in seattle, they just manage the arena.

Both Leiwekes and various people in Toronto with money own part of the Kraken (the team itself) or are shareholders, which ever way you want to word it. The entire reason to invest in the hockey team was to invest in the eventual NBA team, and this I know as a driving reason and as fact.

Tod Leiweke is indeed a part-owner of the team (Kraken), along with having the title of CEO/Team President.

As far as I know, Tim (Leiweke) does not have an ownership stake in the team. If he did, It could potentially be a conflict of interest. Since his company operates the building (Climate Pledge Arena).

However, Tim does have a lot of pull within the group. As you can imagine. The goal has always been to bring both the NHL & NBA back.

ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#459 » by ratul » Sun May 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:David Bonderman is the principle owner of the Hockey team. He's also the guy who will fund the NBA's return to Seattle (expansion fee). Bonderman currently is a minority owner of the Boston Celtics (owns 10%).

Tod Leiweke is indeed a part-owner of the team (Kraken), along with having the title of CEO/Team President.

As far as I know, Tim (Leiweke) does not have an ownership stake in the team. If he did, It could potentially be a conflict of interest. Since his company operates the building (Climate Pledge Arena).

However, Tim does have a lot of pull within the group. As you can imagine. The goal has always been to bring both the NHL & NBA back.

Leiweke is the key reason we are relevant - you guys have someone good in your corner
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#460 » by Cactus Jack » Sun May 23, 2021 11:07 pm

ratul wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Both Leiwekes and various people in Toronto with money own part of the Kraken (the team itself) or are shareholders, which ever way you want to word it. The entire reason to invest in the hockey team was to invest in the eventual NBA team, and this I know as a driving reason and as fact.

Leiweke is the key reason we are relevant - you guys have someone good in your corner

I'm well aware of that. Tod Leiweke ran the Seahawks at one time. Both he & Tim are a major reason why Pete Carroll chose to come to Seattle (from USC). They've helped build a winner in Seattle before.

Tod then eventually left & built one in Tampa while in charge of the Lightning.

Tim is the same way (Raps). They're both winners.

Return to Toronto Raptors