Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete)

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete) 

Post#161 » by Wizop » Wed May 12, 2021 11:43 pm

More schadenfreude.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#162 » by granger05 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:02 pm

I kept checking the general board front page to see what others had to say about this and never saw it. It turns out it popped up for a few pages and then already fell off the main board. It's kind of telling that nobody cares that much about this.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#163 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Feels real similar to Boogie at this point. Absolutely hate to see it.

It really worked out close to best case scenario for Indy and close to worst case for Vic. The extension could have been detrimental to the next few years for Indy; same for Houston.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#164 » by Pacers Forever » Thu May 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Shows you that as much as we think teams know players medical condition anything can happen to re-aggravate or re-injure a player. In this case it appears Vic tried to come back too soon showing his injury wasn't healed enough or surgery and rehab didn't work. Not sure if it was his decision to start playing again too soon, doctor's, or a team pushing him to get on the court. Regardless, I hope he can make a successful recovery this time. In the end the Pacers got a tradeable asset or steady contributor in LeVert and the deal looks good for the Pacers future.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#165 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 22, 2021 5:00 pm

Better news for Vic, if true:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Though, kind of reads as if new surgeon is calling previous surgeon a quack :lol:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#166 » by Topofthekey » Sat May 22, 2021 6:06 pm

Does this mean Heat doctors are better than who Pacers have? If indeed Oladipo returns to form after his second surgery
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Does this mean Heat doctors are better than who Pacers have? If indeed Oladipo returns to form after his second surgery

No. Surgeries like these aren’t conducted by team doctors. A surgeon of the caliber needed to perform this type of operation wouldn’t limit themselves to working for a sports team.

Plus, the players/agents usually choose their surgeon/doctors with or without team consultation.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#168 » by Wizop » Sat May 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Better news for Vic, if true:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Though, kind of reads as if new surgeon is calling previous surgeon a quack
Didn't Vic hire his own trainer? Maybe it was the rehab rather than the surgery that is being questioned.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#169 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 22, 2021 10:10 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Better news for Vic, if true:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Though, kind of reads as if new surgeon is calling previous surgeon a quack
Didn't Vic hire his own trainer? Maybe it was the rehab rather than the surgery that is being questioned.

Sent from my phone.

In all reality, it’s a re-tear, and his team is trying to control the narrative heading into free agency. And yes, he and his team hired his own trainer and surgeon. Pritchard once joked that he only knew anything about Oladipo’s rehab what he had read from Shams.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think it was believed here that Vic’s agents were badly mis-managing everything about his negotiations and public relations. This is now a TON of agents that Vic has cycled through. I’m guessing he’s getting exactly the type of agent that is willing to work with him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#171 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm

If Hollinger's formula for free agent values is to be believed, Vic is going to get way less than the extension he declined.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#172 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:59 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think it was believed here that Vic’s agents were badly mis-managing everything about his negotiations and public relations. This is now a TON of agents that Vic has cycled through. I’m guessing he’s getting exactly the type of agent that is willing to work with him.

Ton of agents you say ? Sounds like A) he doesn’t know how to choose a good agent, B) he is the problem, C) his possee is giving him bad advice. Injuries have complicated his seeking the big deal. Currently for him the grass is not greener on the other side. However, I’m quite happy that the Pacers weren’t good enough for him. While we aren’t sure how good LeVert will be we do know that he is happy being here.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#173 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:44 am

What a waste. He could have ended up as one of the most beloved Pacer, but instead fell victim to his own hubris and chose to listen to the wrong people

Off on a tangent, I've always hated Artest for his role in the abrupt end of an era for the Pacers, but seeing how throughout these years he is one of the few former Pacer who is still cheering the franchise on, I'm more or less ready to forgive him
pacerfan1984
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#174 » by pacerfan1984 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 am

Topofthekey wrote:What a waste. He could have ended up as one of the most beloved Pacer, but instead fell victim to his own hubris and chose to listen to the wrong people

Off on a tangent, I've always hated Artest for his role in the abrupt end of an era for the Pacers, but seeing how throughout these years he is one of the few former Pacer who is still cheering the franchise on, I'm more or less ready to forgive him

And how did he ruin it? By defending himself?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm

pacerfan1984 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:What a waste. He could have ended up as one of the most beloved Pacer, but instead fell victim to his own hubris and chose to listen to the wrong people

And how did he ruin it? By defending himself?

I think, generally, it’s not even the brawl that Pacers fans hold against Artest. Though he bears a great burden there. It’s that, after standing by his side and awaiting his return and working so long and personally with him, he then demanded a trade, live on the local news, from the seat of his car with Dave Calabro.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:28 pm

Personally, I’d be all for hiring Artest in a player development type role/back bench or even any sort of affiliation. He’s been repeatedly and openly contrite for the past hurt he caused the Pacers, and has focused on teaching young players how to play responsibly. He’s also talked about his failures in that process, and his newfound appreciation of counseling. I think he’s a great example for some young guys in locker rooms who may not appreciate what they have, or the support they need.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#177 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Personally, I’d be all for hiring Artest in a player development type role/back bench or even any sort of affiliation. He’s been repeatedly and openly contrite for the past hurt he caused the Pacers, and has focused on teaching young players how to play responsibly. He’s also talked about his failures in that process, and his newfound appreciation of counseling. I think he’s a great example for some young guys in locker rooms who may not appreciate what they have, or the support they need.
He could have a role for us similar to John Lucas in Houston. Idk if he'd be great at reining in young players, but more as a mentor/cautionary tale kind of thing.

Couldn't hurt to have him teaching wing defense at least.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#178 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:15 pm

I really wasn’t as mad at Artest as I was at Ben Wallace for starting or escalating the lead up to the incident. I’ll never forget him grabbing Artest by the neck which Artest might have provoked but Wallace went overboard grabbing him by the neck. Then the Pistons fan’s cup throw pushed Artest over the edge which was where Artest lost his self control and ruined the Pacers season. So in my opinion Wallace is my most hated person of the incident which pushed Artest to wreck the Pacers season. We had so much talent and were primed to go far. I wouldn’t want Artest or Stephen Jackson back in Pacer positions.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#179 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:32 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I really wasn’t as mad at Artest as I was at Ben Wallace for starting or escalating the lead up to the incident. I’ll never forget him grabbing Artest by the neck which Artest might have provoked but Wallace went overboard grabbing him by the neck. Then the Pistons fan’s cup throw pushed Artest over the edge which was where Artest lost his self control and ruined the Pacers season. So in my opinion Wallace is my most hated person of the incident which pushed Artest to wreck the Pacers season. We had so much talent and were primed to go far. I wouldn’t want Artest or Stephen Jackson back in Pacer positions.

Here is one of the things I remember about it all, that never gets brought up.

As the dust was settling a bit, Ron goes and lays down on the scorer's table. I remember thinking right then he is making a spectacle of himself, as well as creating a target for any irate fan.

So, Carlisle walks over to him, and I thought for sure "OK. Rick is going to get him over to the bench, or even have him go to the locker room." But no, all Rick does is put his hand on Ron's chest, I guess trying to calm him. At that point, Ron was not being a problem, however just his presence laying their on the scorer's table was a target waiting to happen.

I can not understand, to this day, why Carlisle allowed him to stay where he was. You just knew this was not over. I kept saying to myself "Get him out of there Rick. Quickly. Just get him out of there."

Well, that didn't happen, and we know what followed.

I really wish Carlisle had taken more control of the situation at that point. If he had, maybe the rest of that disaster could have been avoided.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#180 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:40 pm

Tom I agree it could have been so different if Artest was corralled by the assistants over to the bench while the refs sorted things out.

Return to Indiana Pacers