2020-21 Around The NBA Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,529

Re: 2020-21 Around The NBA Thread 

Post#481 » by Devilanche » Thu May 6, 2021 11:46 am

I guess how to let this week pass then . The weekend clash between minny and magic will hopefully be in our favour.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#482 » by jake_swivel » Thu May 6, 2021 3:04 pm

Devilanche wrote:I think this is coincidence . Regarding signing non USA player midseason.

The unguaranteed contracts I believe has always been around more so from hinkie time and subsequently Houston etc ?

I don’t think a foreign player has ever been signed to a non-guaranteed 4 year contract in the range for 10-16 million at the tail end of the season in the history of the nba before deck. I have a hard time believing it’s coincidence that the knicks randomly did it for the second time ever a month after okc.

As for unguaranteed contracts, yeah, they’ve been done, but especially for undrafted dudes, they’ve typically been two year deals. These four year completely unguaranteed deals were not the norm, and there have been way more than normal over the past year.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#483 » by Devilanche » Thu May 6, 2021 3:08 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think this is coincidence . Regarding signing non USA player midseason.

The unguaranteed contracts I believe has always been around more so from hinkie time and subsequently Houston etc ?

I don’t think a foreign player has ever been signed to a non-guaranteed 4 year contract in the range for 10-16 million at the tail end of the season in the history of the nba before deck. I have a hard time believing it’s coincidence that the knicks randomly did it for the second time ever a month after okc.

As for unguaranteed contracts, yeah, they’ve been done, but especially for undrafted dudes, they’ve typically been two year deals. These four year completely unguaranteed deals were not the norm, and there have been way more than normal over the past year.

I think this is tied to covid as well. If overseas were playing to a crowd I don’t think that such a player would be readily available mid season guaranteed or non guaranteed contract .

His team were still competing in the euro league back when deck signed with us.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#484 » by jake_swivel » Thu May 6, 2021 3:43 pm

Devilanche wrote:I think this is tied to covid as well. If overseas were playing to a crowd I don’t think that such a player would be readily available mid season guaranteed or non guaranteed contract .

I’m sure covid plays into it. But the fact that it’s a midsized four year unguaranteed contract is what seems like they are copying presti. I’ve never seen a contract that size unguaranteed for four years. Have you?
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#485 » by Devilanche » Fri May 7, 2021 12:05 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think this is tied to covid as well. If overseas were playing to a crowd I don’t think that such a player would be readily available mid season guaranteed or non guaranteed contract .

I’m sure covid plays into it. But the fact that it’s a midsized four year unguaranteed contract is what seems like they are copying presti. I’ve never seen a contract that size unguaranteed for four years. Have you?

With the amount of time it took to identify such a player and look at his film before signing him , I would believe it’s a coincidence instead . You need to account for the work done behind the scene to arrange such a move such that it’s signed way in advance to give time for quarantine before they join the team.

3-4 years unguaranteed contract has been commonplace . Them being from Europe is a new wrinkle.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#486 » by Dn4sty » Fri May 7, 2021 3:18 am

Pistons win. Another nice part to help the tank
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#487 » by Devilanche » Fri May 7, 2021 3:26 am

Dn4sty wrote:Pistons win. Another nice part to help the tank

2nd from bottom potentially in play now.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,058

Post#488 » by Dadouv47 » Fri May 7, 2021 4:21 pm

I don't like their chances but if Minny can beat Miami tonight, this would be SO good for us.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#489 » by wco81 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 am

Westbrook is all time leader in triple doubles, passing Oscar Robertson.

In his last 2 seasons with the Thunder, he seemed to have difficulty attacking the rim as effectively as in previous seasons.

I don’t know if his percentages are any better in the restricted area but he can absolutely penetrate and kick out or push the ball to get teammates good open looks, as reflected in his assist numbers.

The combination of motor and athleticism are still amazing.

But limiting him to be a jump shooter from the outside in key possessions is still his kryptonite. His jump shooting efficiency or lack of it prevents him from leading his team to deep runs in the playoffs.

It’s too bad Beal got injured. I think they would have been an interesting team as a play in team.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 908

Post#490 » by retrobro90 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:03 am

wco81 wrote:Westbrook is all time leader in triple doubles, passing Oscar Robertson.

In his last 2 seasons with the Thunder, he seemed to have difficulty attacking the rim as effectively as in previous seasons.

I don’t know if his percentages are any better in the restricted area but he can absolutely penetrate and kick out or push the ball to get teammates good open looks, as reflected in his assist numbers.

The combination of motor and athleticism are still amazing.

But limiting him to be a jump shooter from the outside in key possessions is still his kryptonite. His jump shooting efficiency or lack of it prevents him from leading his team to deep runs in the playoffs.

It’s too bad Beal got injured. I think they would have been an interesting team as a play in team.

I think Beal is coming back for the play in games. His status is currently day to day.

Russ has tried to diversify his lay-up/finishing package over the last few years (to not great results) I think to both diversify his attack and to preserve his body considering how hard it is to dunk everything like he did in his early years. I think there's also a correlation with his efficiency in the first half of the previous two seasons vs the uptick in the latter halves. There's other variables that benefit him there but I think slowly each season he morphs from trying new shots to shots he knows he's comfortable with (even if they aren't shots that go in as much as he'd like)

But jeez man do we really need a Warriors fan in this board to remind us the second Russ has broken the all time TD record that we should remember he's not a great jump shooter? We know! Lol can we celebrate our small little corner of relevancy in the annals of NBA history just for tonight?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#491 » by wco81 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 am

Well his activity kept the Wizards in the game tonight.

But in a one possession game, having him try to create for himself doesn’t play t9 his strengths.

If it wasn’t for him, they’re not even in the game at the end but it’s tougher for him to get them over the finish line.

Quite an accomplishment though supposedly Back in Robertson’s days they weren’t as conscious of TLs. In fact it may have been coined by some Lakers PR guy when Magic was racking them up.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#492 » by jake_swivel » Sun May 23, 2021 12:48 am

Wonder how many years Kawhi would be ok with making pre-conference finals exits before he left LA. Hypothetically.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,383

Post#493 » by RunOKC » Sun May 23, 2021 1:26 am

jake_swivel wrote:Wonder how many years Kawhi would be ok with making pre-conference finals exits before he left LA. Hypothetically.

I was posing a hypothetical to myself along those lines

More likely to happen if the Clippers lose in the 1st/2nd round? PG gets traded, or Kawhi doesn't re-sign? Might be a good topic for the general board after todays loss 8-)
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#494 » by jake_swivel » Sun May 23, 2021 1:33 am

RunOKC wrote:I was posing a hypothetical to myself along those lines

More likely to happen if the Clippers lose in the 1st/2nd round? PG gets traded, or Kawhi doesn't re-sign?

I’d be curious who the clippers could get in a PG trade in that scenario. Another first round exit lowers his value, I’d think. Would be hard to even think of him as anything but an aging, overpaid second banana on a non-conference finals team. What do you get back for that?

Also, I’m kinda starting to wonder if it’s better as an okc fan to just hope kawhi stays and his quad disintegrates over the next couple years, PG ages out, and the team falls apart with no cap space to fix the problem.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,383

Post#495 » by RunOKC » Sun May 23, 2021 1:53 am

jake_swivel wrote:
RunOKC wrote:I was posing a hypothetical to myself along those lines

More likely to happen if the Clippers lose in the 1st/2nd round? PG gets traded, or Kawhi doesn't re-sign?

I’d be curious who the clippers could get in a PG trade in that scenario. Another first round exit lowers his value, I’d think. Would be hard to even think of him as anything but an aging, overpaid second banana on a non-conference finals team. What do you get back for that?

Also, I’m kinda starting to wonder if it’s better as an okc fan to just hope kawhi stays and his quad disintegrates over the next couple years, PG ages out, and the team falls apart with no cap space to fix the problem.

Yeah, I'm pretty stumped trying to think of trade scenarios. Maybe something with the Raptors if they want to compete? FVV + OG + Fillers? If its a rebuild without Kawhi, maybe a trade for Anthony Edwards if the Wolves would bite?

Tough to say if it'd be better for Kawhi to stay when you pose it like that. You'd think there would be a better chance at some higher lottery picks if that were the case and his quad did disintegrate, but I lean to Kawhi leaving and getting guaranteed-ish picks in the 10-16 range. Interested to see what people think.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#496 » by jake_swivel » Sun May 23, 2021 2:02 am

RunOKC wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty stumped trying to think of trade scenarios. Maybe something with the Raptors if they want to compete? FVV + OG + Fillers? If its a rebuild without Kawhi, maybe a trade for Anthony Edwards if the Wolves would bite?

Tough to say if it'd be better for Kawhi to stay when you pose it like that. You'd think there would be a better chance at some higher lottery picks if that were the case and his quad did disintegrate, but I lean to Kawhi leaving and getting guaranteed-ish picks in the 10-16 range. Interested to see what people think.

Yeah, that seems like the value neighborhood for PG. Probably a little higher, but I don’t think outrageously higher. And I have a hard time seeing something like that improving their team much at all.

And I agree that Kawhi leaving is conservatively the best case scenario. Especially with the new odds.

Regardless, those unprotected clippers picks have some serious upside with a first round exit this year. Go mavs!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#497 » by Dadouv47 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:25 am

jake_swivel wrote:
RunOKC wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty stumped trying to think of trade scenarios. Maybe something with the Raptors if they want to compete? FVV + OG + Fillers? If its a rebuild without Kawhi, maybe a trade for Anthony Edwards if the Wolves would bite?

Yeah, that seems like the value neighborhood for PG. Probably a little higher, but I don’t think outrageously higher. And I have a hard time seeing something like that improving their team much at all.

And I agree that Kawhi leaving is conservatively the best case scenario. Especially with the new odds.

Regardless, those unprotected clippers picks have some serious upside with a first round exit this year. Go mavs!

I still like Clippers chances for this playoff run tbh

Also don't like Kawhi chances to leave even if they lose in the first round. He's in LA and I don't think he's willing to play in some smaller market to win a championship. I hope I'm wrong though :lol:

But even if he stays I still like our odds to get a lottery pick from our pick swaps or the 2024 clippers pick.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#498 » by Devilanche » Sun May 23, 2021 10:28 am

I don’t see how clippers can improve other than at the margins.

If Kawhi leave, they can’t burn it to the ground.

If kawhi stays (and they don’t reach the finals) why would a team trade for PG to be their no2 if said team no1 is not better than Kawhi ? Unless they are giving up pennies on the dollar type of deal ?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#499 » by jake_swivel » Sun May 23, 2021 8:42 pm

I don’t think the play in tournament this year was super compelling, but I liked that it gave the 10-14 spots incentive not to tank.

I hate the idea of a mid season tournament. It feels like it would take a little bit of shine away from the eventual end of season champion. And it has the best teams putting extra miles on the best players in the league and will have them competing at a deficit at the end. And can you imagine how pissed everyone will be if there is a season ending injury in that mid tournament?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#500 » by Dadouv47 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Devilanche wrote:I don’t see how clippers can improve other than at the margins.

If Kawhi leave, they can’t burn it to the ground.

If kawhi stays (and they don’t reach the finals) why would a team trade for PG to be their no2 if said team no1 is not better than Kawhi ? Unless they are giving up pennies on the dollar type of deal ?

that would be enough for them to win if both Kawhi & PG13 are balling but I'm starting to think that Kawhi best basketball migt be behind him. Obviously rooting for him to leave but I don't think it would be THAT bad if he stays (except for the 2022 pick).

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder