Image ImageImage Image

Way too early NBA draft thread 2021

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

If we manage to get 3rd pick who do you draft?

Evan Mobley
14%
Jalen Suggs
61%
Terrence Clarke
1%
Jonathan Kuminga
6%
Ziaire Williams
1%
Usman Guruba
1%
Jalen Johnson
1%
Terrence Clarke
No votes
BJ Boston
2%
None of the Above
12%

Total votes: 146

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,528

Re: Way too early NBA draft thread 2021 

Post#1201 » by DuckIII » Sat May 22, 2021 11:31 am

Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:Honest question: if the Bulls jump in the lotto, do you think AK would trade the pick in a package for a third star-type player?

Absolutely yes. The first thing he’d do is shop that pick. Doesn’t mean he’d end up trading it, but it would be his Plan A no doubt.

That would be a huge mistake. Unless the return is a top 5 player in his prime it is better to keep the pick. In all likelihood the potential of this pick will be more valuable than the return from a trade. This isn’t just about the next 2 years. You have to look at what is the best long term decision for this organization.

To be clear, I’m not advocating for it. I’m saying based on his statements and actions it’s what AK would prefer to do.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 570

Post#1202 » by Almost Retired » Sat May 22, 2021 2:29 pm

I wish AK had traded away next year's First Rounder and kept this Year's. This year is deeper. Even at #8 I daydream about what this team could look like with Davion Mitchell or Josh Giddey. I listened to a recent podcast breaking down Giddey. At only 18 years old he's a passing savant, with either hand. And his basketball IQ is off the charts. He's got just enough athleticism to become a respectable defender as he adds strength. A shot Doctor like Drew Hanlon could improve his Free Throw percentage and outside shooting. He's got a floater game. At 6-8" he's got length even if his wingspan isn't elite. I could see playing him as a Point SF with Zach and TBJ in the backcourt (TBJ for defensive purposes leaving Coby as the Primary scorer off the bench teaming up with Sato) and Patrick at PF and Vooch.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#1203 » by Am2626 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Ayman78 wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Leslie Formain wrote:He is ex also an example of the type of player that would absolutely never get traded right now for just a top 4 pick.

Yeah, the trade doesn’t make sense for either side. If the Bulls get a top 4 pick Cade and Suggs both have very good upside and the Bulls wouldn’t have to give up additional assets. The rookie contract gives the Bulls more flexibility to round out their roster better. Trading a top 4 pick is the worst possible thing the Bulls can do at this point. They made enough trades using their draft capital. They don’t need to mortgage more of their future when what they would get back still wouldn’t make them a championship contender.

I don't disagree with your logic. However, I can see a few scenarios where AK might move a top 4 pick. If things breakdown in Philadelphia and Ben Simmons becomes available or a Da'Aaron Foxx becomes available. In either case I could see AK and ME doubling down on their belief that Vuch and Zach along with a third elite player puts the team in title contention.

I really don’t think those teams are going to want to move their guys. You also have to look at salary cap restrictions. A top 4 pick is much cheaper than getting Ben Simmons. How much of the roster do you have to gut to make that trade work? I would think with the top 4 pick the Bulls best option would be to go into next year with that and a free agent acquisition and then reassess the next summer when the FA market is much stronger. I would think that team would be able to make it to the second round of the playoffs which is a good improvement from this year just with those additions.

Regarding Foxx, I see Cade and Suggs as being similar level prospects that are younger and cheaper. A seasoned Vet like Lowry, Conley Jr., or Rose would be a lot more valuable to this team than someone like Foxx who has always been a part of a losing culture like LaVine and Vuc. This team needs someone that can show them how to win and get to the next level. Since a top 4 pick is a lot cheaper the Bulls can add a great talent while having more roster and financial flexibility to add a key FA to help the team in the short term.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1204 » by Am2626 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:40 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Absolutely yes. The first thing he’d do is shop that pick. Doesn’t mean he’d end up trading it, but it would be his Plan A no doubt.

That would be a huge mistake. Unless the return is a top 5 player in his prime it is better to keep the pick. In all likelihood the potential of this pick will be more valuable than the return from a trade. This isn’t just about the next 2 years. You have to look at what is the best long term decision for this organization.

To be clear, I’m not advocating for it. I’m saying based on his statements and actions it’s what AK would prefer to do.

What do you think is the best course of action for the Bulls to take if they get a top 4 pick?
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#1205 » by The Force. » Sat May 22, 2021 4:04 pm

I dont think trading for SGA is the craziest idea, especially if Suggs/Cade are off the board. This draft is sparse on PGs which is by far our biggest need.

If SGA is available for a the 4 pick I think Bulls should do everything they can to get him. He's an ideal fit with LaVine and Vuc. Hell I would even consider moving Coby + 4 for SGA.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1206 » by Am2626 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:14 pm

The Force. wrote:I dont think trading for SGA is the craziest idea, especially if Suggs/Cade are off the board. This draft is sparse on PGs which is by far our biggest need.

If SGA is available for a the 4 pick I think Bulls should do everything they can to get him. He's an ideal fit with LaVine and Vuc. Hell I would even consider moving Coby + 4 for SGA.

I would rather take Kuminga and sign a guy like Schroeder, Lowry, Rose, or Conley Jr. This team needs more talent and they need guys that have been playoff tested and part of winning teams. SGA just like LaVine and Vuc doesn’t know how to win. All these guys have been a part of are losing cultures. Kuminga could end up being a superstar one day and would be a great long term piece. Also I don’t see OKC trading SGA.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1207 » by DuckIII » Sat May 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

What do you think is the best course of action for the Bulls to take if they get a top 4 pick?

Too many variables to be precise. I actually would be willing to trade it, philosophically, but the player would have to be pretty outstanding. Ben Simmons would do it for me as I think he’s an excellent fit for what we need.

On the other hand, it would also depend on who is available. I think Suggs and Mobley are great fits for Chicago and have superstar upside. Not Allstar. Superstar.

So I might not trade either for anyone you would imagine might be available, including Simmons.

Bottom line is I expect the return veteran would not be good enough to convince me to trade a top 4 in this particular draft. But I suspect AK would trade it for much less than that.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1208 » by Am2626 » Sat May 22, 2021 6:50 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Too many variables to be precise. I actually would be willing to trade it, philosophically, but the player would have to be pretty outstanding. Ben Simmons would do it for me as I think he’s an excellent fit for what we need.

On the other hand, it would also depend on who is available. I think Suggs and Mobley are great fits for Chicago and have superstar upside. Not Allstar. Superstar.

So I might not trade either for anyone you would imagine might be available, including Simmons.

Bottom line is I expect the return veteran would not be good enough to convince me to trade a top 4 in this particular draft. But I suspect AK would trade it for much less than that.

Well let’s hope that doesn’t happen. The Bulls are in no position to give up assets for a less than favorable return.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1209 » by DuckIII » Sat May 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

Well let’s hope that doesn’t happen. The Bulls are in no position to give up assets for a less than favorable return.

Obviously there is only a 1/4 chance to even see, but my guess is if it comes to that AK will continue with his “all in for the playoffs I never want to have lottery picks” nonsense and we’ll get at best a borderline Allstar and probably not even anyone that good.
The Force.
Head Coach

Post#1210 » by The Force. » Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm

SGA > Ben Simmons
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1211 » by Leslie Forman » Sat May 22, 2021 8:34 pm

Am2626 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:
jump wrote:SGA is just an example of the type of player we could target with a top 4 pick.

He is ex also an example of the type of player that would absolutely never get traded right now for just a top 4 pick.

Yeah the trade doesn’t make sense for either side.

Oh it makes tons of sense for Chicago. OKC had a better record than Chicago when he played! He is on the path right now to becoming an All-NBA regular. He just might become genuine top-10ish level at his current rate of improvement.

OKC? Sam Presti would have to become a meth addict selling his body on the mean streets of Tulsa to ever trade him. You trade a young player as good as SGA for a "Luka is refusing to sign a new contract" kind of scenario, not for a 4th pick…that you're praying becomes as good as SGA.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1212 » by DuckIII » Sat May 22, 2021 9:04 pm

The Force. wrote:SGA > Ben Simmons

I don’t agree, as regards the Bulls situation. But he’s the type of player I’d trade a top 4 pick to get if Suggs and Mobley are gone.

Can’t see Presti trading his franchise point guard when he’s already got picks coming out his ears though. He needs a guy to bind all those young players he’ll have coming in and SGA is that guy.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1213 » by Am2626 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:He is ex also an example of the type of player that would absolutely never get traded right now for just a top 4 pick.

Yeah the trade doesn’t make sense for either side.

Oh it makes tons of sense for Chicago. OKC had a better record than Chicago when he played! He is on the path right now to becoming an All-NBA regular. He just might become genuine top-10ish level at his current rate of improvement.

OKC? Sam Presti would have to become a meth addict selling his body on the mean streets of Tulsa to ever trade him. You trade a young player as good as SGA for a "Luka is refusing to sign a new contract" kind of scenario, not for a 4th pick…that you're praying becomes as good as SGA.

Both Cade and Suggs are better prospects than SGA was at their age. I don’t see how either of them can not be as good or if not better than SGA. I also would be concerned about the durability of SGA. It’s also going to take more than the 4th pick to get him. Just not practical.
The Force.
Head Coach

Post#1214 » by The Force. » Sun May 23, 2021 2:24 am

OKC would have to be in love with a player in the top 4 and also high on Maledon to consider moving SGA. However, I believe a deal could look something like 4+Pat+Coby for SGA+Roby.

I dont think OKC considers anything less.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1215 » by DuckIII » Sun May 23, 2021 2:39 am

The Force. wrote:OKC would have to be in love with a player in the top 4 and also high on Maledon to consider moving SGA. However, I believe a deal could look something like 4+Pat+Coby for SGA+Roby.

That’s insane. For the Bulls. And probably OKC.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1217 » by Am2626 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:13 pm

The Force. wrote:OKC would have to be in love with a player in the top 4 and also high on Maledon to consider moving SGA. However, I believe a deal could look something like 4+Pat+Coby for SGA+Roby.

Wouldn’t be worth it for either side. Enough draft capital has already been used by the Bulls. They don’t need to trade more of it. Too much overthinking here. If the Bulls get a top 4 pick they need to keep it. This is really the last chance they have of adding a major talent via draft.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1218 » by Am2626 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:17 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Obviously there is only a 1/4 chance to even seebut my guess is if it comes to that AK will continue with his “all in for the playoffs I never want to have lottery picks” nonsense and we’ll get at best a borderline Allstar and probably not even anyone that good.

It’s actually now a 1/5 chance. That last game meaningless win against the Bucks lowered their odds.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1219 » by DuckIII » Sun May 23, 2021 2:23 pm

Am2626 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Am2626 wrote:[/b]

Obviously there is only a 1/4 chance to even seebut my guess is if it comes to that AK will continue with his “all in for the playoffs I never want to have lottery picks” nonsense and we’ll get at best a borderline Allstar and probably not even anyone that good.

It’s actually now a 1/5 chance. That last game meaningless win against the Bucks lowered their odds.

Ah yes, of course. Good times.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,640

Post#1220 » by sco » Tue May 25, 2021 3:42 pm

I'm still rooting that my man Isaiah Livers fall to us in the 2nd round.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls