ImageImageImage

I'm having crows for dinner (JJ for Reddick trade)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,368

I'm having crows for dinner (JJ for Reddick trade) 

Post#1 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 10, 2021 10:20 am

The player I most wanted on the deadline was Aaron Gordon, the Mavs lack a big athletic combo forward who defends the perimeter, rebounds and shoots, basically a bigger DFS, Mavs didn't have the 1st round picks to land him, so they were beaten by the Nuggets (or simply weren't interested), DFS/Kleber backup James Johnson, who fits that role, albeit, unspectacular, and doesn't get much playing time, was traded for aging shooter who doesn't play defense and wanted to go near Brooklyn where his kids are, and some Italian PF from the Euroleage who didn't play much for NOP.
Melli is covering for JJ's minutes (14 Vs 17, the 17 was inflated by the COVID period where Mavs had 3.5 active player JJ was one of them), he provides good defense and hustle, even though he's still mostly bricking on offense, and Reddicks experience seems to be having positive affect, maybe unrelated to the trade, but the team looks better, and I would say that definitely the Mavs benefited from that trade, you replaced who played 17MPG mostly during the time there was no one to play, with 26 MPG of rotation players, who bring great experience with them.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: I'm having crows for dinner (JJ for Reddick trade) 

Post#2 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun May 23, 2021 1:28 pm

The one thing I miss about James Johnson is apparently he is known as a certified bad ass in NBA circles. Like the one dude you do not want to have problems with. I'm trying to remember who it was... quick Youtube search... earlier this year Cody Martin was about it get into it with James Johnson, and I remember the House of Highlights section was filled with comments about how Cody doesn't want any smoke with James Johnson. I know Duncan Robinson said on his Long Shot podcast that James Johnson had that rep and players didn't try to get into any altercations with James Johnson.

Redick isn't showing much heart for the Mavs. Making me lose some respect for him, and I like JJ Redick a lot too. Melli is just a guy. I wish we had James Johnson for this series. Marcus Morris tries his typical b.s. and he sees James Johnson going to the scoring table to check in. I think that would put an end to it right then & there. Protecting Luka is very serious priority. That can't be overlooked.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#3 » by dirkules_41 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:33 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:The one thing I miss about James Johnson is apparently he is known as a certified bad ass in NBA circles. Like the one dude you do not want to have problems with. I'm trying to remember who it was... quick Youtube search... earlier this year Cody Martin was about it get into it with James Johnson, and I remember the House of Highlights section was filled with comments about how Cody doesn't want any smoke with James Johnson. I know Duncan Robinson said on his Long Shot podcast that James Johnson had that rep and players didn't try to get into any altercations with James Johnson.

Redick isn't showing much heart for the Mavs. Making me lose some respect for him, and I like JJ Redick a lot too. Melli is just a guy. I wish we had James Johnson for this series. Marcus Morris tries his typical b.s. and he sees James Johnson going to the scoring table to check in. I think that would put an end to it right then & there. Protecting Luka is very serious priority. That can't be overlooked.

Johnson aside - JJ is injured, what kind of heart would you like to see from him. He seems to care and be invested if you listen to his podcast.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:The one thing I miss about James Johnson is apparently he is known as a certified bad ass in NBA circles. Like the one dude you do not want to have problems with. I'm trying to remember who it was... quick Youtube search... earlier this year Cody Martin was about it get into it with James Johnson, and I remember the House of Highlights section was filled with comments about how Cody doesn't want any smoke with James Johnson. I know Duncan Robinson said on his Long Shot podcast that James Johnson had that rep and players didn't try to get into any altercations with James Johnson.

Johnson aside - JJ is injured, what kind of heart would you like to see from him. He seems to care and be invested if you listen to his podcast.

Did he travel with the team to LA? I didn't see him on the sidelines, and I saw almost every Mav pictured on the team's IG account, but no JJ. Maybe I missed him though.

I'm not trying to slam the guy. I listen to his podcast and like JJ a lot. But, I don't think he's been as invested in this team as he could be.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,368

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 24, 2021 7:58 am

He did travel, I saw him in the photos when they landed in LA, BTW I don't share the Melli negative sentiment, he's giving the Mavs an extra body on the PF and is providing defense and hustle, his 2 offensive boards were very crucial and one of them resulted in a critical 3 after KP miss, I loved JJ, but RC didn't, and he played much more perimeter game than Melli and had some boneheaded turnovers.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#6 » by DrPampiloni » Tue May 25, 2021 1:05 pm

JJ was clearly visible on the bench in street-clothes hyping and applauding the guys during a time-out.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue May 25, 2021 2:49 pm

I just missed him then
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#8 » by leolozon » Wed May 26, 2021 3:07 pm

I find it weird to say that the Mavs didn't have what it took to get Gordon. He was traded for a 1st in 2025 (the Mavs have that), RJ Hampton who was picked 24th in 2020 (the Mavs have the guy picked 18th) and Harris who was filler.

Still not a fan of the Reddick trade, but it is what it is and it's not atrocious.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#9 » by fuller4379 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:53 pm

leolozon wrote:I find it weird to say that the Mavs didn't have what it took to get Gordon. He was traded for a 1st in 2025 (the Mavs have that), RJ Hampton who was picked 24th in 2020 (the Mavs have the guy picked 18th) and Harris who was filler.

Still not a fan of the Reddick trade, but it is what it is and it's not atrocious.

Maybe they didn't want to take off the top 10 protection of the 2023 pick to New York.
Maybe the offer was out there, but Orlando decided to take the Denver pick.

Maybe the Mavs wanted some protections on the 2025 pick.

It doesn't matter now. It didn't happen.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#10 » by leolozon » Wed May 26, 2021 8:08 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
leolozon wrote:I find it weird to say that the Mavs didn't have what it took to get Gordon. He was traded for a 1st in 2025 (the Mavs have that), RJ Hampton who was picked 24th in 2020 (the Mavs have the guy picked 18th) and Harris who was filler.

Maybe they didn't want to take off the top 10 protection of the 2023 pick to New York.
Maybe the offer was out there, but Orlando decided to take the Denver pick.

Maybe the Mavs wanted some protections on the 2025 pick.

It doesn't matter now. It didn't happen.

I'm not the one who brought it up. It was in the OP. I still think they had what was needed, but didn't want to do the trade. It's a choice. I disagree with it personally, considering there's no great option out there, so a good-young player is pretty much the best you can hope for. But yeah, it didn't happen.

Return to Dallas Mavericks