ImageImage

Playoff Thread: Grizz vs Jazz (Game One)

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Which player is in position for the biggest Game One performance?

Poll ended at Mon May 24, 2021 4:12 pm

Mike Conley
No votes
Donovan Mitchell
No votes
Rudy Gobert
14%
Ja Morant
14%
Dillon Brooks
14%
Jonas Valanciunas
57%

Total votes: 7

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Playoff Thread: Grizz vs Jazz (Game One) 

Post#41 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 am

jman3134 wrote:Kyle great wall up. Smart foul stopping momentum, hits Brooks for a layup, and then walls up on the last play. I appreciate you, Kyle.

Ultimate glue guy.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#42 » by VCfor3 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 am

What a freaking game!!
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#43 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 4:16 am

Memphis starters scored 93 of their 112pts. If they want to win this series, the bench can't go MIA.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#44 » by jman3134 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:17 am

His bballiq is just off the charts. Love everything about his game.

We need more from Tillman off the bench (because you can see how quickly the refs take Jonas out of the game) and we need to figure Bojan out defensively. If they bring that same momentum into game 2, we will have an issue.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#45 » by jman3134 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:22 am

Whole Truth wrote:Memphis starters scored 93 of their 112pts. If they want to win this series, the bench can't go MIA.

The bench looked fine in the 4th, but I simply hate Taylor's rotations. You can't play Jones, Melton until 6mins in the fourth. I understand that they looked great and built a lead, but it hurts the starters coming off cold shooting. If they (Jones Melton) had played that way mid 3rd until early 4th, I think we wouldn't have looked so disjointed in the final stanza.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#46 » by E S V L » Mon May 24, 2021 4:30 am

The guys now need to prepare for angry Mitchell.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm

I'm laughing so hard reading comments from Raptor fans that thought Jonas was the problem especially vs the Cavs, Unlike Gasol, Jonas never had the playoff opportunity to play with Kawhi's & Greens perimeter defense.. he played all his minutes with Derozan.

That Cavs team had no post defense but great 3pt shooting. This Jazz team has great post defense & great 3pt shooting, 4 of their starters can light you up from 3. This is supposed to be the worse possible team for Jonas to face defensively.

Jonas had to play 39 mins because he was the only Memphis big last night able to contain the Jazz front court, even when he banged his right knee & slowed down a bit 3rd Q. Snyder went as far to sub Gobert off of him to play him against the bench where they went on their biggest run of the game to put Memphis down 13 where Jonas being subbed back in led to their 17-3 answer to go into the half up 6.

He put up 15/12/3/2 & led the starters with a +15, where only Bane was a + off the bench with +29 (great showing from him). They still hating because these games are going to show Raptors could have won with Jonas.

What was the difference in Jonas current success ? Grizz perimeter defense & ability to contain their 3pt shooters.. Where you guessed it, Jonas used to play with Derozan's perimeter defense. Now don't feel I'm putting it all on Derozan, Jonas has his defensive short comings but it was the defensive pairing that led to Jonas being the scape goat for those losses.

Snyder's half time interview even talked about how their shooters weren't getting many open looks but they need to keep taking them because that's who they are, which meshed with what I was seeing.. I'd like to see that stat on how much their shooters were open apposed to contested.

With Mitchell out, Jazz could play better but here's the thing, Memphis can too.. forget that the bench only had less than a quarter of their overall points & that Jenkins let Snyder get a better matchup with Gobert which led to a 16-2 run ... The young team is growing in confidence, experience & their 2nd most talented player was a team high -19. Jazz fans say their 3's weren't falling, I say Memphis perimeter players Bane included, did a good job contesting them.

3J shows up for this series at any point, it's over for the Jazz. That steal & 3 was a 5pt swing in one sequence from him in an otherwise weak showing. If he comes to play... Shame he only got 11 games to get up to speed. Hope he's putting in work because IMO, he will be the X factor vs the Jazz. They can bring DM back, 3J has yet to show up & I think he will. He's going to get up to speed & get comfortable, I just hope it's sooner than later.

Lets go 3J.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 12:20 pm

You know what I love about this team...

They don't flop all over the court hoping for the refs to bail them out.

They don't get much favor anyway but we don't ****' need it. Just took game 1 from the top seed & we coming for game 2.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 12:38 pm

3J plays trying not to foul, his propensity to foul is in his mental.

Jenkins let him know it's okay if he fouls out, he's got Jonas, Tillman, Anderson & Clarke to back him up. Play free & with effort 3J... don't whine when you feel you get a bad call, get angry, then get more aggressive.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 634

Post#50 » by jefe » Mon May 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Memphis starters scored 93 of their 112pts. If they want to win this series, the bench can't go MIA.

The bench players seemed to have a lot of nerves in their first half minutes, but then they calmed down in the second half. Hopefully, they'll collectively get over the nerves going forward and just hoop.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 1:05 pm

jefe wrote:

The bench players seemed to have a lot of nerves in their first half minutes, but then they calmed down in the second half. Hopefully, they'll collectively get over the nerves going forward and just hoop.

I hope so but I don't know, the bench has been struggling for a while now & it's coincided with Melton's individual struggles.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 1:20 pm

Just saw a stat on sports centre that said over their last 9 games, Grizz are 3rd in defense & 2nd in opponent FG%..

Impressive for the 2nd youngest team in the league & a testament to how good of a coach Jenkins is. He really doesn't get enough credit for how this young team is currently playing.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#53 » by VCfor3 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:54 pm

Yeah JV was big for us against Gobert and Favors. Tillman is good but got outmuscled on the boards at times. I think that is why they tried to have JJJ with the bench unit when JV was off (which didn't work). You could see them putting him on Gobert for a while there. JJJ isn't in a rhythm right now and I doubt he really finds one during the series. He'll have flashes but I don't think it'll be fore any significant stretch. Ideally he has a great 3pt shooting game or two during the series. That is a somewhat reasonable hope I think.

Ja took over the 4th for us, but it also was with Gobert off the floor. He'll have to keep finding ways to contribute when Gobert is clogging the paint on him.

Brooks was build for this high stakes, high emotion playoff atmosphere.

Just like I wouldn't have played Allen last game, I'd have 100% played him this game and all other games moving forward. In a 7 game series you can give him minutes to get back into game shape plus our bench could use some fire power. I'd let him and Bane have Melton's minutes if Melton has a poor first half and either of those two are hot.

Anderson had a fantastic game. Will need him to continue stepping up for us to stay in this.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 2:03 pm

Anderson, the unsung hero over the last few. Every team needs those type players that do the little things that contribute to winning.

We need Melton to turn back into mr do something.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 24, 2021 2:21 pm

Jazz came out physical hoping to shake Memphis confidence, Memphis bit back.

This team is playing like they know they can win & I don't doubt it.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies