ImageImageImageImage

Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow!

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Re: Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow! 

Post#1421 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:09 am

The Effect wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Sure Vuc and Fournier played okay offensively, but were liabilities on defense. If we get players that are slightly above average on both sides they can be just as effective.

Bargains can be found when you have cap space. Look at players like Kyle Lowry, he played for a couple teams and his top salary was 5.7m before the Raptors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Ahhh right.. there’s gotta be plenty of above average 2 way players signing bargain deals with small market lotto teams..

I must have missed the last 10 years when this organizations biggest FA signings were DJ Augustine, Aminu, Frye, Biyombo and Jeff Green..

Umm.... do you really think every FA will only sign with LA, Bos and GS or something?
Unless youre one of the top players in the league, you dont really have the option to be that picky, you go where you can, and most Players sign with who gives them the best combo of $$ (top factor most times) and chance to win (secondary option for most players).

Not every player is durant or lebron and just go anywhere, we clearly arent getting one of those guys, There are plenty of guys who sign with mid and small market teams every single year. I mean it wouldnt be impossible for us to sign a player of say Malcolm Brogdans caliber if he was available. Not advocating for signing them, but say WeHam decided they wanted to sign someone like Spencer Dinwiddie, Gary Trent or Norman Powell, and we had the capspace, do you really think those guys would turn us down if we had the highest offer? Yeah probably not

Also, this team has a track record of signing big time FAs, TMac, Grant hill and rashard lewis (who was the #1 FA available that year) all come to mind

I don’t disagree with all of what you said, but a keyword here was “bargain” and I don’t expect us to sign an above average player below market value if we’re rebuilding. I mean just look at the track record over the past several years.

Regardless, I don’t think this team is making any notable FA signings this summer. I think think they possibly trade Ross and run it back with everyone healthy plus the rookies
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Re: Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow! 

Post#1422 » by basketballRob » Tue May 25, 2021 12:23 am

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
The Effect wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Ahhh right.. there’s gotta be plenty of above average 2 way players signing bargain deals with small market lotto teams..

I must have missed the last 10 years when this organizations biggest FA signings were DJ Augustine, Aminu, Frye, Biyombo and Jeff Green..

Umm.... do you really think every FA will only sign with LA, Bos and GS or something?
Unless youre one of the top players in the league, you dont really have the option to be that picky, you go where you can, and most Players sign with who gives them the best combo of $$ (top factor most times) and chance to win (secondary option for most players).

Not every player is durant or lebron and just go anywhere, we clearly arent getting one of those guys, There are plenty of guys who sign with mid and small market teams every single year. I mean it wouldnt be impossible for us to sign a player of say Malcolm Brogdans caliber if he was available. Not advocating for signing them, but say WeHam decided they wanted to sign someone like Spencer Dinwiddie, Gary Trent or Norman Powell, and we had the capspace, do you really think those guys would turn us down if we had the highest offer? Yeah probably not

Also, this team has a track record of signing big time FAs, TMac, Grant hill and rashard lewis (who was the #1 FA available that year) all come to mind

I don’t disagree with all of what you said, but a keyword here was “bargain” and I don’t expect us to sign an above average player below market value if we’re rebuilding. I mean just look at the track record over the past several years.

Regardless, I don’t think this team is making any notable FA signings this summer. I think think they possibly trade Ross and run it back with everyone healthy plus the rookies
Maybe I should've used diamond in the rough rather than bargain. When you're constantly up against the cap wall, you're limited at how many players you can take a look at.

I definitely don't think any big names players aren't going to sign here for less. I'd rather find players that are just as effective without the price tag that comes with a known quantity.

Maybe we'll find a Dinwiddie who was waived before Brooklyn signed him. Who knows maybe a player like Wagner carves a niche out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1423 » by The Effect » Tue May 25, 2021 12:32 am

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
The Effect wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

I think bargain guys are actually the ones more likely to be signed by teams like us. They are usually guys just looking for a shot and would go to a place thats gives them that

But i agree, i dont see us signing anyone in 2021 major, not even for the full MLE. If we sign anyone, it will likely be low priced guys to add depth

Id be shocked if the core of the team in 2021 wasnt our 2 1st rounders, Fultz|isaac|cole|RJ|bamba|okeke|WCjr| harris and MAYBE ross. Anyone they sign will be a wagner type signing, like someone looking for a shot at league min
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#1424 » by cedric76 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:58 am

It s clear that we want to do what NY did this season, We want to compete during 2021-22 and have huge amount of money to spend on FA summer 2022

The only players we ll have under contract next summer will be:

Fultz,Cole, RJ, Chuma,JI,WCJ,MO, our 2021 rookies

Ross is the only contact that need to be traded to achieve this, which will be very easy to move

So it s easy to see what will be done this summer and next season

we ll keep Harris+MCW and bacon as they are all expiring next summer
We ll move Ross during the draft or at trade deadline
We ll sign Vets on 1 + 1 contract with team option on the 2nd year
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#1425 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 am

cedric76 wrote:It s clear that we want to do what NY did this season, We want to compete during 2021-22 and have huge amount of money to spend on FA summer 2022

Ross is the only contact that need to be traded to achieve this, which will be very easy to move

Except fact Knicks had emerging Randle (27), made trade for 32 years old Rose, played Noel (27) and also played Burks (29), Rivers (28), Bullock (29) & Taj Gipson (35) over all their youth ( Ntkilina, Toppin,Knox all being marginlized) and you are suggesting we move only vet we have ?

Yea, won't happen. You are not compeating with Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton and 2 rookies playing 25+ min a game, along with 2 of your best players comming from ACL tears, one of them being non-starting level quality player to being with.
At apsolute best, this is 32 wins team next year. Probably closer to 26-28 wins team.

You can make case that Magic 3rd best player is MCW, same MCW who was deep bench player on any serious team.

On top of that, Knicks can do those type of stuff because they are based in biggest sports market in whole world. Orlando is not.
Knicks went in luxury tax more times than 10 nba teams combined. They will burn money just for sake of doing so. Orlando won't.

Orlando's best chance for any sort of relevance is to draft young superstar and cash assets for another. Easier said than done tho.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#1426 » by Skybox » Tue May 25, 2021 10:45 am

cedric76 wrote:It s clear that we want to do what NY did this season, We want to compete during 2021-22 and have huge amount of money to spend on FA summer 2022

CHI is trying to be like this years NY....we are going opposite direction, ditching vets that can play and tanking. We are now several years from relevance. CHI is piecing together a non-contender but competitive veteran team (like NY), we are scorched earth praying for lottery win
flaco
Starter
And1: 839

Post#1427 » by flaco » Tue May 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Celtics fan here. A few honest questions on my part:

- Are you guys still high on Mo Bamba? I mean, he averaged 11.6 points, 8.3 rebs and 1.8 blocks in 22.3 minutes over his final 18 games.
- Why was he a 3rd stringer prior to the Vuc trade? No disrespect to Khem Birch. He's a very useful small ball Center, but I would still expect Bamba to be the backup Center.
- Do you guys think Bamba is available for trade? If so, what would be the price?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1428 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:41 pm

I’ll take Stan over Cliff if the Pels show him the boot …

Read on Twitter
?s=21
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1429 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm

flaco wrote:Celtics fan here. A few honest questions on my part:

- Are you guys still high on Mo Bamba? I mean, he averaged 11.6 points, 8.3 rebs and 1.8 blocks in 22.3 minutes over his final 18 games.
- Why was he a 3rd stringer prior to the Vuc trade? No disrespect to Khem Birch. He's a very useful small ball Center, but I would still expect Bamba to be the backup Center.
- Do you guys think Bamba is available for trade? If so, what would be the price?

Send us the #16 pick this year and I’m in.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1430 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 pm

I’ll tell you what …

Watching the Knicks in the playoffs and seeing the Garden going off like that …

You all know there were stars out there sitting at home, not in the playoffs thinking to themselves it would be nice to be a part of that atmosphere.

I don’t know who the next star to demand a trade will be but I guarantee the Knicks will on their short list.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1431 » by The Effect » Tue May 25, 2021 5:48 pm

He started looking BETTER at the end of the year. He wasnt good early in the year, he gets down easily and he def lacks urgency and gets lazy to the point where he only tries hard when he sees a big play opening up for him, but again looked better towards the end of the year and i actually would rather give him next year to prove himself.

Not saying i wouldnt trade him in the right deal, but i wouldnt give him away
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#1432 » by Skybox » Tue May 25, 2021 8:11 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I’ll take Stan over Cliff if the Pels show him the boot …

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I love Stan the guy but I'd be hesitant to trust him with a young roster in need of development...He was extremely inflexible in his lineups when he was here. We'd be seeing TRoss, MCW, and Harris even more than this year.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1433 » by tiderulz » Tue May 25, 2021 8:17 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I’ll tell you what …

You all know there were stars out there sitting at home, not in the playoffs thinking to themselves it would be nice to be a part of that atmosphere.

I don’t know who the next star to demand a trade will be but I guarantee the Knicks will on their short list.

i dont know. its really expensive to live in NYC and they wont want to play second fiddle to the Nets all around town
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1434 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 pm

tiderulz wrote:

i dont know. its really expensive to live in NYC and they wont want to play second fiddle to the Nets all around town

It’s expensive to live in LA and guys line up to go there.

Winning in these cities (NY, LA, Bos, Chi) opens up new streams of revenue for generations; not just a single team contract. These big names understand that.

Someone is going to have the ego to want be the guy who wins in New York. Whoever is “the guy” on the team that does … will be a different kind of star in that city.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1435 » by tiderulz » Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Winning in these cities (NY, LA, Bos, Chi) opens up new streams of revenue for generations; not just a single team contract. These big names understand that.

Someone is going to have the ego to want be the guy who wins in New York. Whoever is “the guy” on the team that does … will be a different kind of star in that city.

Amare went there and took them to the playoffs. I dont remember anyone joining them. I just dont think NY really has that cache anymore. I could be very wrong, time will tell
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1436 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont know. its really expensive to live in NYC and they wont want to play second fiddle to the Nets all around town

Amare went there and took them to the playoffs. I dont remember anyone joining them. I just dont think NY really has that cache anymore. I could be very wrong, time will tell

NY wants championships. That’s what I’m talking about. Whoever does that …

Also, Amare was a tier-2 star. I don’t think anyone in any city was building their franchise around him.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#1437 » by Knightro » Wed May 26, 2021 12:30 am

It's complicated.

Positives
Physical Tools - Bamba is as long as any player in the NBA. His length alone allows him to block shots that other players simply can't reach. It allows him to catch high passes and grab rebounds that other players simply wouldn't get to. With extremely rare exceptions (Tacko, Boban), he's going to be the longest guy on the court every night.
Rebounding - I don't think Bamba is an amazing rebounder like Capela, but he's so tall and long that he's pretty effective on both ends.
Shot Blocking - Much like rebounding, I don't think Bamba is an incredible shot blocker from a timing or instincts perspective, but he racks up plenty of blocks just by being tall and long.
Shooting Potential - Yeah, I know we're three years in and he's only maxed out at 34% 3PT and 68% FT, but his form is very solid and I think ultimately he's going to figure it out as a range shooter.

Negatives
Low Motor - Flat out he doesn't play as hard as he should. Effort is too often tied to his offensive success. If a few shots drop, he seems to play with more energy. If they don't, he seems to dog it way more often than his justified.
Poor Conditioning - Tied into his low motor, he's never been in great shape and is often sucking wind after 7-8 consecutive minutes.
High Center of Gravity - He's gained a lot of weight since entering the league, but he gets moved off his spots way easier than he should because he just naturally has a high center of gravity. Not sure he can do much about this tbh.
No Dribbling/Passing Ability - He's pretty much a disaster when he's forced to dribble the ball or make a pass that isn't a simple handoff. He's strictly limited to catch shoot and shoot, offensive rebounds and lobs offensively.

To answer your other questions...

-I am not particularly high on him. I think Wendell Carter is better and Carter is also a full year younger. That said, Bamba is just 23 and he is capable of doing things that WCJ simply isn't capable of, so I'm not dying to just give him away.

-Birch played hard and more consistently and that is what Clifford wanted at the time. Birch wasn't *better* necessarily, but Bamba got himself into the doghouse and it's hard to get out when that happens.

-Personally, I would be more than willing to trade him away. He's up for a context extension this summer and I have no real interest in paying him and Carter both.
flaco
Starter
And1: 839

Post#1438 » by flaco » Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Knightro wrote:

It's complicated.

Positives
Physical Tools - Bamba is as long as any player in the NBA. His length alone allows him to block shots that other players simply can't reach. It allows him to catch high passes and grab rebounds that other players simply wouldn't get to. With extremely rare exceptions (Tacko, Boban), he's going to be the longest guy on the court every night.
Rebounding - I don't think Bamba is an amazing rebounder like Capela, but he's so tall and long that he's pretty effective on ends.
Shot Blocking - Much like rebounding, I don't think Bamba is an incredible shot blocker from a timing or instincts perspective, but he racks up plenty of blocks just by being tall and long.
Shooting Potential - Yeah, I know we're three years in and he's only maxed out at 34% 3PT and 68% FT, but his form is very solid and I think ultimately he's going to figure it out as a range shooter.

Negatives
Low Motor - Flat out he doesn't play as hard as he should. Effort is too often tied to his offensive success. If a few shots drop, he seems to play with more energy. If they don't, he seems to dog it way more often than his justified.
Poor Conditioning - Tied into his low motor, he's
High Center of Gravity - He's gained a lot of weight since entering the league, but he gets moved off his spots way easier than he should because he just naturally has a high center of gravity. Not sure he can do much about this tbh.
No Dribbling/Passing Ability - He's pretty much a disaster when he's forced to dribble the ball or make a pass that isn't a simple handoff. He's strictly limited to catch shoot and shoot, offensive rebounds and lobs offensively.

To answer your other questions...

-I am not particularly high on him. I think Wendell Carter is better and Carter is also a full year younger. That said, Bamba is just 23 and he is capable of doing things that WCJ simply isn't capable of, so I'm not dying to just give him away.

-Birch played hard and more consistently and that is what Clifford wanted at the time. Birch wasn't *better* necessarily, but Bamba got himself into the doghouse and it's hard to get out when that happens.

-Personally, I would be more than willing to trade him away. He's up for a context extension this summer and I have no real interest in paying him and Carter both.

Thanks for the detailed response! I very much appreciate it!

Haven't watched him a whole lot tbh. Given his physical tools, I assume that he's better suited in a drop scheme on defense. The Celtics run a switch heavy defensive system. Is he mobile enough to switch ball screens on the perimeter?

Let's say Boston calls asking for Bamba. Would you guys consider a deal centered around Romeo Langford?

- He has one extra year on his rookie deal.
- Didn't play many games this season cause he was nursing a wrist injury.
- He's a terrific defender. Moves very well laterally. He's explosive enough to stay in front of opposing guards. He's also tall/long enough to slow down opposing wings.
- His offensive game is a work in progress. I guess he's a promising slasher thanks to his athleticism/length.
- Fwiw, Brad Stevens tried to transform him into a PG this season. Don't think he has the court vision to run the point.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#1439 » by Knightro » Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm

flaco wrote:Thanks for the detailed response! I very much appreciate it!

Haven't watched him a whole lot tbh. Given his physical tools, I assume that he's better suited in a drop scheme on defense. The Celtics run a switch heavy defensive system. Is he mobile enough to switch ball screens on the perimeter?

Let's say Boston calls asking for Bamba. Would you guys consider a deal centered around Romeo Langford?

- He has one extra year on his rookie deal.
- Didn't play many games this season cause he was nursing a wrist injury.
- He's a terrific defender. Moves very well laterally. He's explosive enough to stay in front of opposing guards. He's also tall/long enough to slow down opposing wings.
- His offensive game is a work in progress. I guess he's a promising slasher thanks to his athleticism/length.
- Fwiw, Brad Stevens tried to transform him into a PG this season. Don't think he has the court vision to run the point.

So it’s weird. Bamba can move very gracefully when he wants to... in a straight line. His change of direction and lateral quickness are both subpar.

My personal opinion is that Bamba cannot effectively switch. He would need to play drop coverage in PNR and stay as connected to the rim as possible to maximize effectiveness.

I don’t dislike Langford, but I would probably say no to a Bamba/Langford swap ultimately because I don’t think he brings enough to the table that the Magic don’t already have.

Cole Anthony played PG this year, but he’s ultimately more suited to be a SG.

RJ Hampton is a straight up SG and we have high hopes for him there.

The Magic are looking at (hopefully) two top 8 picks in the draft as well. They could/should be able to add Cunningham or Suggs or Green or Moody or Keon Johnson into the mix without blinking and have *another* young guy they’re looking to develop at that same spot.

I would do Bamba for Nesmith straight up, but I suspect Ainge wouldn’t be as interested.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#1440 » by drsd » Thu May 27, 2021 9:23 pm

Knightro wrote:Negatives
Poor Conditioning - Tied into his low motor, he's never been in great shape and is often sucking wind after 7-8 consecutive minutes.

And-1

Just to add for the Celts question: These two issues are the reason Bamba was a 3rd stringer. When you see him on the court he jogs when he should run and walks when he should jog. There is just no passion in his performance. He is not the guy to dive for a loose ball

And when he makes a mistake, he gets despondent. His self-frustration level is something he needs to mend.

If he played with the enthusiasm and excitement of Birch, Bamba would be a very good player in this league.

Return to Orlando Magic