Round 1, Game 1: Utah Jazz vs Memphis Grizzlies

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Re: Round 1, Game 1: Utah Jazz vs Memphis Grizzlies 

Post#41 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 24, 2021 2:37 pm

The Jazz caught a talented, young team that is in rhythm of competing in near must win games every other day for the last couple of weeks, while the Jazz have been sitting out for a week getting rusty and unable to focus on preparing for just one potential first round opponent until Saturday. In addition, beginning the day with the mindset that DM was going to play, only to see him scratched in the afternoon, didn't help the game prep either.

Kudos to the Grizz. Brooks and Morant were both great. My bigger concern of the two is Ja Morant. He had the most devastating shot chart in the paint from a guard against the Jazz that I can remember all season, including five makes in the paint in Q4 when we needed stops.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#42 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon May 24, 2021 3:34 pm

foul trouble didn't help with Rudy and Mike setting so much time. Refs going to call it tight do it both sides of the ball. At least we know Jazz won't shoot this bad again. Horrible shooting night for most the guys.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#43 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Though the Jazz came up short, Bogey deserves some favorable mention for stepping up big time in the second half. He scored 29 points on 13 fga in just 16 minutes of play in the second half.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#44 » by zero24gravity » Mon May 24, 2021 11:02 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Though the Jazz came up short, Bogey deserves some favorable mention for stepping up big time in the second half. He scored 29 points on 13 fga in just 16 minutes of play in the second half.

Don't forget 4 TO's & a -11 plus/minus. He Should Never Dribble. Like, ever. lol (I laugh so I don't cry or yell.) His haphazardness was a primary reason they didn't build a bigger lead in the first half, and the Grizz were close enough to get back in it. So yes, his scoring in the 2nd half kept them in the game, but I'm not ready to praise him.

Favors was the unsung hero of this game, particularly in the first 30 minutes, IMO. (Not so much the last 18 minutes, but he's not supposed to have to play 23 minutes, so I don't fault him too much.)

Clarkson was a mess. (Waited until the playoffs to have his first game of the season w/o a three, 0-8.) Ingles, Royce & Niang all disappeared.

Gobert & Conley are the only players, other than DF, who played well enough to be acknowledged, and they both ended up in foul trouble.

Yuck. Just yuck.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#45 » by Winglish » Tue May 25, 2021 12:42 pm

We all could have bet against the Jazz as soon as alleged mafia member Ken Mauer was announced as the referee. The Jazz nearly always lose and always appear to have some points shaved when Mauer refs a Jazz game (a la 2 quick fouls against Gobert when they had not been calling tightly prior to that sequence).

Sent from my SM-G991U using RealGM mobile app
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#46 » by Crunch 99 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:54 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Though the Jazz came up short, Bogey deserves some favorable mention for stepping up big time in the second half. He scored 29 points on 13 fga in just 16 minutes of play in the second half.

Don't forget 4 TO's & a -11 plus/minus. He Should Never Dribble. Like, ever. lol (I laugh so I don't cry or yell.) His haphazardness was a primary reason they didn't build a bigger lead in the first half, and the Grizz were close enough to get back in it. So yes, his scoring in the 2nd half kept them in the game, but I'm not ready to praise him.

Wow, I thought we had moved beyond the Bogey-should-never-dribble sentiment on the board. Imo, Bogey's combination of drives to the basket, post ups and three point shooting is what kept the Utah Jazz alive the last month of the regular season during DM's absence. When his three ball wasn't falling, Bogey still managed to have some reasonably efficient games by driving to the basket to score or get fouled.

The Jazz went 10-6 during DM's late, regular season absence with Bogey averaging a team leading 22.8 ppg on 15.9 fga w/ 4.5 made free throws and 2.9 tovs. Less than half his fga attempts were threes and his shooting percentages were an impressive 48.2%/41.2%. (Clarkson averaged 22.4 ppg on 19 fga while Mitchell was out.)

Yes, the four tovs were bad Sunday, but Bogey needs to keep mixing up his offense with a combination of drives and spot up threes imo. Even with the four tovs Sunday, Bogey pulled off a 21.45 PER for the game. For the season, he averaged 1.8 tovs/game. Go Jazz!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by zero24gravity » Tue May 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Wow, I thought we had moved beyond the Bogey-should-never-dribble sentiment on the board. Imo, Bogey's combination of drives to the basket, post ups and three point shooting is what kept the Utah Jazz alive the last month of the season during DM's absence. When his three ball wasn't falling, Bogey still managed to have some reasonably efficient games by driving to the basket to score or get fouled. Sometimes Bogey uses the drives to get himself going.

The Jazz went 10-6 during DM's late regular season absence while Bogey averaged a team leading 22.8 ppg on 15.9 fga w/ 4.5 made free throws and 2.9 tovs. His plus minus was third best on the team behind Conley and Gobert. Less than half his fga attempts were threes and his shooting percentages were an impressive 48.2%/41.2%. (Clarkson averaged 22.4 ppg on 19 fga while Mitchell was out.)

Yes, the four tovs were bad Sunday, but Bogey needs to keep mixing up his offense with a combination of drives and spot up threes imo. Even with the four tovs Sunday, Bogey pulled off a 21.45 PER for the game. For the season, he averaged 1.8 tovs/game. Go Jazz!

I'll correct myself.... Bogey should never dribble if; there's a 2nd defender anywhere near him, the closest defender is even mediocre, or if it's not in a straight line. It's cringe-worthy and you can quite literally watch and KNOW that a TO or poor decision is coming under many circumstances.

Bogey has value, not doubt. He's a scorer (not just a shooter), so he does need to be versatile in his approach. But his issues with ball handling & passing are the same as a running back in football with fumbling issues. You can't trust him with the ball, and whatever good he can do is often offset (or worse). The Jazz need him to play to his strengths to go deep in the playoffs. Ball handling simply isn't a strength.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#48 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Winglish wrote:We all could have bet against the Jazz as soon as alleged mafia member Ken Mauer was announced as the referee. The Jazz nearly always lose and always appear to have some points shaved when Mauer refs a Jazz game (a la 2 quick fouls against Gobert when they had not been calling tightly prior to that sequence).

Donaghy was right....
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#49 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 25, 2021 3:51 pm

I remember reading Tim Donaghy saying that the way he would impact a team is call a foul on the teams star 2 minutes into the game, lo and behold Gobert is called with a foul 2 minutes into the game. He also said he would get the best teams player in foul trouble, Gobert fouls out with 4 minutes left. He also said that NBA's refs would be told how to call the game before hand. The NBA didn't want Memphis vs. Utah, so the only way to make money on this series is to extend it out to 6 or 7 games...
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by zero24gravity » Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm

The ref conspiracy theories are cute and all, but the Jazz turned the ball over 8 times in the first quarter, shot like crap, and let themselves get "out-toughed".

I understand why people get involved with the big market team conspiracies, because they make sense. But now the NBA wants the Grizzlies to win? Come on. The team needs to play better.... that's what will win games.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#51 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 25, 2021 5:30 pm

zero24gravity wrote:The ref conspiracy theories are cute and all, but the Jazz turned the ball over 8 times in the first quarter, shot like crap, and let themselves get "out-toughed".

I understand why people get involved with the big market team conspiracies, because they make sense. But now the NBA wants the Grizzlies to win? Come on. The team needs to play better.... that's what will win games.

I’m not saying they want the Grizz to win, the NBA wants to extend the series for money.
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by zero24gravity » Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 pm

GobertReport wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:The ref conspiracy theories are cute and all, but the Jazz turned the ball over 8 times in the first quarter, shot like crap, and let themselves get "out-toughed".

I’m not saying they want the Grizz to win, the NBA wants to extend the series for money.

Personally, I think that's a stretch. The NBA & media have fallen in love with the Knicks again, and there's definitely LA bias, but I don't think that drawing out more games between 2 teams "nobody" cares about is on the agenda. If they were going to put effort into a Grizz game, it would have been vs their darling, Steph.

Regardless of what the "NBA wants", the Jazz have no excuses outside of their own poor play for losing game 1. Without Mitchell, they are still the superior team. I hope it's a wake up call, and they all start remembering how it felt to blow a 3-1 lead last year.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#53 » by Winglish » Tue May 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Donaghy was right.

The honest truth is as soon as I seen Ken Mauer is reffing a Jazz game I already chalk it up as a loss.

Conspiracy or not- I know better than to hope the Jazz can win when Ken Mauer refs their games. The proof is in the pudding. The mysterious foul sequence happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.
GobertReport wrote:
Winglish wrote:We all could have bet against the Jazz as soon as alleged mafia member Ken Mauer was announced as the referee. The Jazz nearly always lose and always appear to have some points shaved when Mauer refs a Jazz game (a la 2 quick fouls against Gobert when they had not been calling tightly prior to that sequence).

Donaghy was right....

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#54 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 25, 2021 9:03 pm

Winglish wrote:Donaghy was right.

The honest truth is as soon as I seen Ken Mauer is reffing a Jazz game I already chalk it up as a loss.

Conspiracy or not- I know better than to hope the Jazz can win when Ken Mauer refs their games. The proof is in the pudding. The mysterious foul sequence happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.
GobertReport wrote:

Donaghy was right....

Yep, see my comments above for what Donaghy said about how refs will decide games with fouls on stars. It blows my mind there hasn't been an investigation into NBA reffing. All of the big wigs in the NBA would get hit with RICO real fast.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#55 » by red4hf » Tue May 25, 2021 10:29 pm

GobertReport wrote:

GobertReport wrote:
Donaghy was right....

Yep, see my comments above for what Donaghy said about how refs will decide games with fouls on stars. It blows my mind there hasn't been an investigation into NBA reffing. All of the big wigs in the NBA would get hit with RICO real fast.

Why would they want to investigate something that might reflect negatively on them?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#56 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 25, 2021 10:35 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Why would they want to investigate something that might reflect negatively on them?

I mean a government entity, not the NBA.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf

Post#57 » by red4hf » Tue May 25, 2021 11:58 pm

GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

As much as I agree with the sentiment, referee bias is impossible to prove unless there's a paper trail, since the calls are so subjective...... And no one in the NBA is stupid enough to put anything incriminating down on paper (or an e-mail)......
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#58 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 am

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

As much as I agree with the sentiment, referee bias is impossible to prove unless there's a paper trail, since the calls are so subjective...... And no one in the NBA is stupid enough to put anything incriminating down on paper (or an e-mail)......

No one ever thought mob members would rat and then RICO came along.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf

Post#59 » by red4hf » Wed May 26, 2021 12:48 am

GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Mob members turned because the government had something on them and was going to put them away for life...... Government has no leverage with anybody in the NBA...... If they did, we would have heard about, our government can't keep anything secret.......

I should know, I work for the Feds.......
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#60 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 26, 2021 12:57 am

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Mob members turned because the government had something on them and was going to put them away for life...... Government has no leverage with anybody in the NBA...... If they did, we would have heard about, our government can't keep anything secret.......

I should know, I work for the Feds.......

IRS?
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz