Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#861 » by 9 and 20 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:47 am

Ruzious wrote:
Read on Twitter

I had to do a double-take. And then a triple-take. That's the first time I thought... Dan Snyder seems actually kinda cool. That's gotta be someone impersonating him.

Still not cool! Watching him talk on camera in that video clip, all I see is Haynesworth rolling around on the field.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#862 » by Wizardspride » Mon May 24, 2021 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#863 » by Ruzious » Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

On highlights, watch his ability to track the ball. Even on the middle distance passes, he has his hands up so quickly ready to snatch the ball. And on the long balls, he's got an uncanny knack following the path of the ball.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#864 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#865 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#866 » by BearlyBallin » Tue May 25, 2021 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I’ve seen CB become S, but never a S switch to CB. Has this ever been done successfully?
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#867 » by Ruzious » Tue May 25, 2021 9:53 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I’ve seen CB become S, but never a S switch to CB. Has this ever been done successfully?

Lol. Apke doesn't have the instincts to play safety, so I'd expect that to be an even bigger problem with him playing CB. I think they're just being nice to him - giving him a desperation chance to make the team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#868 » by BearlyBallin » Tue May 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Former WR converted to TE. And another former KC TE.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#869 » by doclinkin » Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lol. Apke doesn't have the instincts to play safety, so I'd expect that to be an even bigger problem with him playing CB. I think they're just being nice to him - giving him a desperation chance to make the team.

Jason Sehorn. He was a back-up Safety who converted to CB his senior year when coaches looked past his skin color and realized he did have the requisite athleticism to play at CB. But that is one of the exceptions that underscores the rule.

The thing is the difficulty with conversion to cornerback is that it requires rarified physical talents. You need to be able to run backwards almost as fast as the WR runs forwards, and to have the quick twitch reaction speed to adjust to their feints and turns in a flicker. Safety however you have to be able to read the whole field east to west, and the angles and space north/south. When the speed of a corner decays they may be able to transition to safety due to veteran savvy etc. Rarely however does the safety have the speed and quick twitch speed to convert to a CB. If they did they would already be a CB, since it is a harder position to fill. That said CB does require less understanding of the team game, more 1-v-1 match-up skills and less of an all-field awareness. As in basketball where you will have players who are good at one-on-one match up defense and a liability in team defense. If a player had the physical talent to cover one guy, then maybe they can make the switch. I guess that is what they are saying here: he doesn't read the field quick enough, but they don't want to waste his rare physical talents (4.34 dash at the combine).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#870 » by Ruzious » Wed May 26, 2021 5:44 pm

But Sehorn was an extremely unusual case in more ways than one. He only played 1 year of HS football, and his 1st 2 years of college football were at a local junior college called Shasta College - where he was the star WR and kick returner. It was after that when he transferred to USC, and they moved him to safety because they were loaded at WR. He was still a 6'2 extraordinarily athletic ball of clay/flubber that they were molding into a football player.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#871 » by Dat2U » Wed May 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Only white athlete today that I'd say has the quick twitch traits to play CB that I've seen is our own Trea Turner. He's a pretty special athlete.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#872 » by doclinkin » Wed May 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:But Sehorn was an extremely unusual case in more ways than one. He only played 1 year of HS football, and his 1st 2 years of college football were at a local junior college called Shasta College - where he was the star WR and kick returner. It was after that when he transferred to USC, and they moved him to safety because they were loaded at WR. He was still a 6'2 extraordinarily athletic ball of clay/flubber that they were molding into a football player.

No argument. I don't think Apke can make the conversion, for what it's worth. He has straightline speed, but not change of direction shiftiness. I think they are trying to find a role for him because he does play quite well on Special Teams, but that alone is not a reason to keep him. Also Ron RIvera as a player played many roles before he was locked in at linebacker, so I think he does not believe in any dogma or orthodoxy in who IS or IS NOT capable of playing any particular role. He is willing to look for surprises.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#873 » by Ruzious » Wed May 26, 2021 6:24 pm

I hadn't though about it before, but are there any white cornerbacks in the NFL?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#874 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#875 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 26, 2021 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#876 » by BearlyBallin » Thu May 27, 2021 1:10 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#877 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Jun 1, 2021 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Preseason games will be fun to watch...

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#878 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:36 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Preseason games will be fun to watch...

Interesting - I would not have guessed Montez has the kind of athleticism to play that role, but maybe he does - and he has the big arm to throw the occasional deep ball; it's the other passes he has trouble with. His college running stats were not good, but the scouting reports say he is both fast and elusive, and he's a big guy, so I'm intrigued.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#879 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:41 pm

Rivera liked watching Montez prepare in training camp last year. RR said he had a strong arm, 90 mph fastball and an 89 mph one, Montez could benefit from working on his touch. Called him a natural athlete, very bright & smart.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#880 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards