ImageImageImageImageImage

THJ

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

blackstar
Rookie
And1: 239

THJ 

Post#1 » by blackstar » Wed May 26, 2021 5:11 am

How many are ready to admit they were wrong about THJ?

The guy has turned into arguably the Mav's second best player and the best asset that went out in the KP trade. What was seen as a negative asset at the time has turned into gold for them and we should have gotten value back for him. I never was a detractor of Timmy and thought that $18 million wasn't a bad contract for him. He was still young, could shoot the lights out, was clutch and was drafted by us. Yeah he made some boneheaded plays here and there but imagine if he had been given a chance under Thibs? Thibs might have turned him into a legit two way player.

I think Timmy was a victim of the classic fan impatience we have here with young players. He was never given the patience that Frank was given.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,895

Re: THJ 

Post#2 » by DaGawd » Wed May 26, 2021 5:16 am

3rd times the charm.. bring him home
BaF
Washington Wizards
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#3 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 am

blackstar wrote:How many are ready to admit they were wrong about THJ?

The guy has turned into arguably the Mav's second best player and the best asset that went out in the KP trade. What was seen as a negative asset at the time has turned into gold for them and we should have gotten value back for him. I never was a detractor of Timmy and thought that $18 million wasn't a bad contract for him. He was still young, could shoot the lights out, was clutch and was drafted by us. Yeah he made some boneheaded plays here and there but imagine if he had been given a chance under Thibs? Thibs might have turned him into a legit two way player.

I think Timmy was a victim of the classic fan impatience we have here with young players. He was never given the patience that Frank was given.

Not even Frank was given any patience. Kid never got consistent minutes his whole career.

The Knicks have been patient with Knox though up until this season. And RJ, but he's showed potential.

The two times THJ was here, he just never had a good playmaker like Luka to set him up. He tried to do too much here and was never held accountable. Same thing for Julius Randle last season. He was putting up numbers but he was undisciplined and not contributing to wins. The coaching and the culture you build for the team makes a big difference.
blackstar
Rookie
And1: 239

Post#4 » by blackstar » Wed May 26, 2021 5:21 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:

Not even Frank was given any patience. Kid never got consistent minutes his whole career.

The Knicks have been patient with Knox though up until this season. And RJ, but he's showed potential.

The two times THJ was here, he just never had a good playmaker like Luka to set him up. He tried to do too much here and was never held accountable. Same thing for Julius Randle last season. He was putting up numbers but he was undisciplined and not contributing to wins. The coaching and the culture you build for the team makes a big difference.

I meant more patience from the fans. There are a lot of people who still have hopes for Frank while THJ had a decent rookie year, then somehow the fans started turning on him after that. During his second stint he never seemed to get into their good books. He was always viewed as a no-defense, low-IQ and overpaid player pretty much his whole time here.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,318

Post#5 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:27 am

He always was good. He just had to big of a role in NY
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Post#6 » by RHODEY » Wed May 26, 2021 5:27 am

I think he's a beneficiary of playing with Luka. He's pretty lethal when in rhythm.. and Luka is the perfect player to get him the ball in rhythm.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,813

Post#7 » by Adelheid » Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 am

Pecking order

THjr was the highest when he was here. He was given the role of batman but he at best was maybe just an alfred.

Luka calls the shots at Dallas and Timmy is slotted properly as a catch and shoot guy -- the way that it should have been.

FO obtains the main piece and assembles parts to complement it, not the other way around.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#8 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed May 26, 2021 5:31 am

It always bothered me how some Knicks fans only had eyes for KP and used Timmy as the scapegoat for KP's shortcomings.

Obviously KP was the better defender. But offensively, they were about the same.

In 2017-18, KP's TS% was .539. Timmy's was .533. Timmy was a much better passer.

Timmy has become a good player in Dallas and he has probably surpassed KP as a two-way player, especially since KP now gets targeted in the pick-and-roll defensively.

I'm very happy for him. He's a class act who always got treated unfairly by most of the fans as a Knick.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#9 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:38 am

Special shout out to the folks who praised the THJ signing & then snickered at the idea that he would be better in DAL. Epically wrong on both
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#10 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:41 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:It always bothered me how some Knicks fans only had eyes for KP and used Timmy as the scapegoat for KP's shortcomings.

Obviously KP was the better defender. But offensively, they were about the same.

In 2017-18, KP's TS% was .539. Timmy's was .533. Timmy was a much better passer.

Timmy has become a good player in Dallas and he has probably surpassed KP as a two-way player, especially since KP now gets targeted in the pick-and-roll defensively.

I'm very happy for him. He's a class act who always got treated unfairly by most of the fans as a Knick.

I don’t think ppl treated him bad personally. Like you said, he’s always been a class act sans a few outbursts when he was younger.

It’s just what he represented: a shortsighted idiotic GM who was ecstatic to not only ruin our lottery position in a
great 2018 class but also limit our cap space in the monster 2019 FA bonanza.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#11 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed May 26, 2021 5:47 am

blackstar wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:

I meant more patience from the fans. There are a lot of people who still have hopes for Frank while THJ had a decent rookie year, then somehow the fans started turning on him after that. During his second stint he never seemed to get into their good books. He was always viewed as a no-defense, low-IQ and overpaid player pretty much his whole time here.

I guess his second stint, expectations were high considering how much he got paid by Mills. Anyone who tells you he lived up to his contract while he was here is lying. He tried to do way too much, which is why he was viewed as low-IQ. And he never really played the defense he was capable of. A lot of that was on the personnel and the coaching we had at the time.

THJ is a very good role player and moreso when he fits in well with your superstar (Luka). If you expect more from him, you'd still be disappointed.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,980

Post#12 » by Capn'O » Wed May 26, 2021 5:51 am

Somewhere Mecca is smiling
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#13 » by movingon » Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 am

i didn't hate THJ, but he was a bit low efficiency for his contract.
He was frustratingly streaky and not a good defender.
That being said, I always keep a soft spot for our draft picks, and I'm glad to see him doing well in Dallas.
I was a fan, even if I thought (and still think) it was a good move to clear out his salary.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#14 » by TBri1974 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:12 am

Im glad to see THJ succeed, but don't want him back here and don't think he'd want to come home. We didn't want him at the time and could not have turned him into an asset that year or last. It is what it is.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,317

Post#15 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed May 26, 2021 6:17 am

Hardaway Jr was a 6th man thrust into a first option role, hence why he was hated here.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#16 » by Da_Mane_Man » Wed May 26, 2021 6:27 am

I'd rather have Burks
Montmorencie
Rookie
And1: 827

Post#17 » by Montmorencie » Wed May 26, 2021 6:42 am

We were not wrong? The guy is an idiot. Rushes shots on 17th second or on 13th when second chance. Occasionally he gets hot, good for him. The smart team will have solid in between 38-40% consistent three point shooter. THJ is 36% career with 4 games with 27-8% and one game with 70%. Please don't make a thread every fifth game.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#18 » by Stannis » Wed May 26, 2021 6:57 am

Zach Randolph was also "good"

Sometimes a player needs a team change

You guys are dumb AF

THjr was never gonna be good with us. End of story
Free Palestine
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#19 » by Sark » Wed May 26, 2021 7:39 am

Frank hasn't been given patience. He's spent 4 years with Scott Perry signing anyone and anything he could to make sure Frank didn't play.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#20 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed May 26, 2021 10:38 am

THJ was given too big a role here. He was the highest paid player and tried and failed to play like one. Put him in his right spot and he is very good.

We just couldn't give him the right role.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Return to New York Knicks