Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#181 » by playaloc916 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:04 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Ibaka doing drills after only playing 6 mins. This team is straight drama

The thread on the general board was saying Rondo got into it with Ibaka and Ty Lue. Is this true?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yes it’s true

I actually noticed it during the game. Ibaka and most likely Rondo were shouting at each other as Ibaka went to inbound the ball after the Mavs scored. He sounded pissed. Team literally imploding on the court.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#182 » by playaloc916 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:08 am

NippySudz wrote:Lakers show real championship meddle. They responded. Credit to the Lakers. I love that response to adversity. I just wish our team delivered the same way.

Shout out to lifelong clipper fans. You guys been dealing with this pain. I'm a kawhi fan so I've just adopted this team.

I can't say I have experienced much pain from a team losing than these last two years. I'm on the east coast. I stay up to watch all these games. Takes a lot of effort just to see the team lose and not give effort.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Tell me about it. I always stay up to watch these games. It's 2AM right now in the East and I'm in no mood to sleep. Productivity going to be almost zero tomorrow.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#183 » by NippySudz » Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 am

playaloc916 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Lakers show real championship meddle. They responded. Credit to the Lakers. I love that response to adversity. I just wish our team delivered the same way.

Shout out to lifelong clipper fans. You guys been dealing with this pain. I'm a kawhi fan so I've just adopted this team.

I can't say I have experienced much pain from a team losing than these last two years. I'm on the east coast. I stay up to watch all these games. Takes a lot of effort just to see the team lose and not give effort.

Tell me about it. I always stay up to watch these games. It's 2AM right now in the East and I'm in no mood to sleep. Productivity going to be almost zero tomorrow.
Yeah I'm at work right now and it's not fun. Hate when clippers lose. I should have just went to sleep before I had to work

Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#184 » by Goner » Wed May 26, 2021 6:20 am

playaloc916 wrote:I actually noticed it during the game. Ibaka and most likely Rondo were shouting at each other as Ibaka went to inbound the ball after the Mavs scored. He sounded pissed. Team literally imploding on the court.

Rondo is the only one out there holding people accountable. We were in our usual bag complaining to the refs when we didn't get our way or laughing/sulking after an unlucky break and Rondo would yell at people to get the F back on D, or whatever. He did it to PG, Morris, and Batum, if memory serves.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#185 » by TheNewEra » Wed May 26, 2021 6:28 am

Just have to stay away from basketball content until Friday. Losing game 3 will break my love for basketball
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#186 » by Clemenza » Wed May 26, 2021 6:56 am

Bron is the ultimate tank and cheat code. He's a leader and a force on the court. We don't have that.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#187 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed May 26, 2021 7:29 am

Clemenza wrote:

Bron is the ultimate tank and cheat code. He's a leader and a force on the court. We don't have that.

We don't need that to beat Dallas. We have to be consistent on what we want to do on defense against Luka. Let the Man get his 50 if he can, don't switch, don't blitz make him work on his baskets, tire him. 2 games in a row, Luka's effort, energy down at 4th quarters. Just like Kawhi. The same posion they inject us. Let Luka score and exhaust himself. We should be able to put solid D on rest of them and don't let them to get hot as a team. It can't be worse than this.

I just have beyond words for Ty Lue.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#188 » by TrueLAfan » Wed May 26, 2021 7:40 am

Was working and missed the game feed. Watched forty minutes of "highlights." Hah.

We're a terrible team. Our stars played fine, but we had no urgency, no plan. Nothing. We made no real adjustments and expected different results. The thing I hate is that nobody seems to give a ---- about it. Most of the team looked like they'd given up. Marcus looked less checked out than last time, but played stupider. That's not progress. Coaching was clueless; it was not a mystery that we needed to D better against their backcourt (other than Doncic). Hardaway, Richardson, and Brunson had 27 in the second half. Did someone lose the memo?

We're supposed to be smarter. I thought we'd stepped up in that area. We played stupid ball all night. The star power of Kawhi and PG kept us in it--but we have no cohesion or people stepping up behind them. We're a bad team and we're losing because of it.

Been a Clipper fan for more than 30 years. Thought I was past having the only good part of the postseason be the hopes for offseason trades and the draft. Apparently not.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by Clemenza » Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

We don't need that to beat Dallas. We have to be consistent on what we want to do on defense against Luka. Let the Man get his 50 if he can, don't switch, don't blitz make him work on his baskets, tire him. 2 games in a row, Luka's effort, energy down at 4th quarters. Just like Kawhi. The same posion they inject us. Let Luka score and exhaust himself. We should be able to put solid D on rest of them and don't let them to get hot as a team. It can't be worse than this.

True no doubt I agree wholeheartedly. My comment was just a response on how he compared us to how the Lakers respond to adversity that's all.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#190 » by NippySudz » Wed May 26, 2021 7:45 am

Clemenza wrote:

What I saw yesterday seem to do with more of Anthony davis taking onus and responding to the call. I think Kawhi did his job. I thought PG did well, but yeah, there was nothing in our team that showed we had to take game 2 seriously. I mean Kawhi kinda of did it through his play, 30 points at half shows you he really wants it. But man. I thought PG needed to match his effort, PG played well, but it needed to be a lebron/Dwade or Lebron/Kyrie kind of game where both guys needed to score 80 points combined for us to win this game.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#191 » by esqtvd » Wed May 26, 2021 7:52 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Bold prediction...

First team to play defense wins...lol

we better keep scoring

it took 130+ to win 2 of the playoff games last year and we lost another 135-133

The problem is Luka is getting balanced help. Kawhi and PG are not. Morris needs to step up. Attack the rim or something. We cannot simply expect Kawhi and PG to outscore the balanced Mavs scoring.

Yup.

We lost because we only scored 19 points in the 3rd quarter. The rest is talk. You are not gonna shut them down, you gotta outscore them.

Defense is work. Scoring is fun. This team doesn't have nearly enough fun.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by Clemenza » Wed May 26, 2021 8:02 am

NippySudz wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

What I saw yesterday seem to do with more of Anthony davis taking onus and responding to the call. I think Kawhi did his job. I thought PG did well, but yeah, there was nothing in our team that showed we had to take game 2 seriously. I mean Kawhi kinda of did it through his play, 30 points at half shows you he really wants it. But man. I thought PG needed to match his effort, PG played well, but it needed to be a lebron/Dwade or Lebron/Kyrie kind of game where both guys needed to score 80 points combined for us to win this game.

True but at some point we have to get something meaningful from a couple of role players. We're way deeper than last season but yet its still Kawhi and PG have to do it all for any type of success. Where's the third scorer at, where's the x-factor, where's the surprise player at? We haven't had this for years even in the Lob City era.
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,130

Post#193 » by mpoo_sin » Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 am

Clemenza wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Bron is the ultimate tank and cheat code. He's a leader and a force on the court. We don't have that.

True no doubt I agree wholeheartedly. My comment was just a response on how he compared us to how the Lakers respond to adversity that's all.

The Lakers would not have won this game of not for Pauls injury. Such a bummer. I picked Suns in 5 before the series began but if Paul is not able to play decently it will be a long series where everything can happen.

For the Clippers: they had very good games from their two stars in game 2 and it still was not enough. This game really makes me wonder what they can actually do to win against the Mavericks. The Mavs forgot how to shoot fts and still won quite comfortably.
lautreamont
Junior
And1: 248

Post#194 » by lautreamont » Wed May 26, 2021 8:24 am

mpoo_sin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:

The Lakers would not have won this game of not for Pauls injury. Such a bummer. I picked Suns in 5 before the series began but if Paul is not able to play decently it will be a long series where everything can happen.

Lakers are notorious for having off games and also doing just enough to get the job done. They have another level that you haven't seen in either game 1 or game 2 against the Suns. The effort wasn't there in game 1 for them. In game 2 they did enough to win but that wasn't them at their best. There's another level they have. Think of game 6 against the Heat where they dismantled them because they did not want to go to game 7. If they can get there again the Suns have no chance. Lakers are capable of losing a series this year though because they just haven't had the cohesion and time together because of all the injuries and LeBron does look like he is still recovering from his high ankle sprain.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#195 » by esqtvd » Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 am

lautreamont wrote:
mpoo_sin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:True no doubt I agree wholeheartedly. My comment was just a response on how he compared us to how the Lakers respond to adversity that's all.

Lakers are notorious for having off games and also doing just enough to get the job done. They have another level that you haven't seen in either game 1 or game 2 against the Suns. The effort wasn't there in game 1 for them. In game 2 they did enough to win but that wasn't them at their best. There's another level they have. Think of game 6 against the Heat where they dismantled them because they did not want to go to game 7. If they can get there again the Suns have no chance. Lakers are capable of losing a series this year though because they just haven't had the cohesion and time together because of all the injuries and LeBron does look like he is still recovering from his high ankle sprain.

don't EVEN Lakers here
it's not that kind of party
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#196 » by esqtvd » Wed May 26, 2021 10:35 am

Clemenza wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Bron is the ultimate tank and cheat code. He's a leader and a force on the court. We don't have that.

True but at some point we have to get something meaningful from a couple of role players. We're way deeper than last season but yet its still Kawhi and PG have to do it all for any type of success. Where's the third scorer at, where's the x-factor, where's the surprise player at? We haven't had this for years even in the Lob City era.

Kawhi scored 41. He HATES having to score 40. PG chipped in with 28. They played 40 minutes each.

So where's the rest of the team?

Reddick averaged 13 points in the first half and 2 in the second half. Then it was bombs away with Jamal in the 4th quarter because neither CP not Blake would man up.

No 3rd man anywhere in sight. Then or now.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#197 » by TheNewEra » Wed May 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Makes this all feel worse is these guys are healthy enough to play. Ibaka doing sprints after the game is a clear sign now something is going on in the locker room
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#198 » by clipperlover » Wed May 26, 2021 12:58 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

What is going on? Lol

Ty Lue needs to completely switch the lineup for the series or it’s over

Rondo
Pg13
Kawhi
Morris
Ibaka

Replace Morris with Batum and we may have something. Morris was just terrible. Kawhi and PG could both handle the defensive assignment for Luka. However, it is asking a lot of them to take on the defensive tasks, handle the rebounding AND carry the offensive load.

This team needs to get better between the ears. Kawhi took a three late in the 4th when we were down 7 with over 3 minutes to go. Then down 9 about a minute later, he drove to the hoop for a dunk. We didn't need the 3, we needed a bucket. Cutting the lead to 5 makes the game more manageable. We were attacking the hoop in the 1st quarter and got away from it. We had 20 FTs in the game and 11 of them came in the 1st qtr. Not capitalizing on our early 3rd Qtr bonus situation was inexcusable.

That said it is very difficult to win a game when the opponent shoots as many 3s as the Mavs AND hits over 50% on them.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,164

Post#199 » by og15 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:05 pm

Clippers let a team shoot 50% FG+ and 47% 3PT+ in two straight games, they simply didn't deserve to win. Dallas is shooting 54/50 on the series.

Beverley is not providing value out there, he needs to be benched for the series. If Ibaka was not playing because of matchups and not injury, then I'm confused. Why did Zubac get 22 minutes then if Ibaka was healthy enough to play?

Marcus Morris was finally hitting shots, but picked up fouls when he finally looked like he could contribute. He's been the worst player for the team in the series so far without comparison. No one else has played as many minutes and contribute as little value a him. He's shooting 29% FG, 18% 3PT, 25% FT, just disastrous after two games.

The team also doesn't seem to know how to execute their defensive game plan. Rotations are not consistent, they are just running around like chickens with no heads in some possessions.

The majority of the first half, it was a layup line and free shots at the basket for Dallas. They tightened that up then just started fouling at the basket.

Hardaway is shooting 63/65 for the series.
Kleber 68/75
Richardson 56/40
Brunson 57%
Finney-Smith 53/56 and he didn't do much in offense in this game.

There's no defensive strategy where you let EVERYONE on the opposing team go off. Right now the Clippers are letting the stars and ALL the role players go off. You have to give up something, you can't try to stop everything and then give up everything.

Are you going to load up on Luka and make other guys beat you? Okay, let's do that. Do you want to take away his passing game, make him a scorer and contain the role players? Okay, stick with the role players.

Right now their defensive IQ is at zero. I saw some adjustments, but their execution was just not good at all. Who knows what this next game will bring, bit this is about as embarassing as a two game start to a series as a home team can have.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#200 » by nickhx2 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 pm

yup, agree

morris has been abysmal. beverley is pretty worthless. zubac was really bad but somehow serge is only playing 6 minutes? i was all for the lue hiring but these past couple games (and his strategy closing out the end of the season) have made me question his competence.

i mean, this team looks exactly like what it is: a buncha players who look like they've barely played together for a couple months. resting these guys in the waning games of the RS while expecting them to figure it out in the playoffs was such a dumb idea. because now? the team is healthy, but clueless. oh, and down 2-0.

batum likely needs to start, and so does ibaka. morris needs a huge minutes cut and rondo needs to either start or cut beverley's minutes down to single digits. there's so many things that need to be addressed yet here we are, wondering if lue even recognizes the issues.

tragic.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers