2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#401 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 25, 2021 10:08 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:So we get 76% of a top 5 pick? I'm fine if we get picks 5 and 18 but worse than that would be terrible bad luck in such an important draft for us.

I"m surprised you managed to think of a worst case scenario. :wink:
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,111

Post#402 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:59 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
namlede wrote:Sengun is an elite talent imo.
Dadouv47 wrote:So we get 76% of a top 5 pick? I'm fine if we get picks 5 and 18 but worse than that would be terrible bad luck in such an important draft for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

I like Sengun a lot. If OKC doesn’t get Houston pick, I’d be all in favor of using Heat pick and some additional asset(s) to jump up from 18 to end of lottery (11-12) to get Sengun

100% on board with this. Not sure a lot of lottery teams are willing to move down but Presti gonna try for sure. Probably gonna cost us a future bad FRP.

Sengun is very low on some mock drafts though...quite weird. I have Sengun over Garuda but guess most disagree.

I obviously dream about Cade but if we end up with Kuminga and Sengun, that's pretty good.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#403 » by Devilanche » Wed May 26, 2021 4:42 am

ThunderBolt wrote:

Not sure what he’s talking about , I can only see 1st and 5th in our future. :roll:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,395

Post#404 » by RunOKC » Wed May 26, 2021 5:13 am

Nice day to be an OKC fan. Clippers are in big trouble, and we won the coin toss.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#405 » by Dn4sty » Wed May 26, 2021 5:19 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Perfect time for this
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#406 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:16 am

Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Perfect time for this

Somehow I still like the Clippers chances. Kawhi had a great game yesterday.

I don't think Kawhi leaves even if they lose in the first round and I think the Clippers are a a perfect match up against Brooklyn (don't want cupcake to win).
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#407 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 am

Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Not sure what he’s talking about , I can only see 1st and 5th in our future. :roll:

Same, obviously. Thunderbolt knows I'm the most optimistic thunder fan :lol:
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#408 » by Dn4sty » Wed May 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Perfect time for this

I don't think Kawhi leaves even if they lose in the first round and I think the Clippers are a a perfect match up against Brooklyn (don't want cupcake to win).

I’m projecting into the future more so than just this season. If they struggle now, I can only imagine how much more they will struggle in 2-3 years and more
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#409 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Perfect time for this

I’m projecting into the future more so than just this season. If they struggle now, I can only imagine how much more they will struggle in 2-3 years and more

oh I totally agree with this. That's why I think Kawhi staying isn't that terrible. I don't see him aging very well. He may still play at an elite level in some games but probably will need a lot of rest (and PG13 is "old" as well) so we will get some decent picks for sure.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#410 » by Devilanche » Wed May 26, 2021 8:33 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

oh I totally agree with this. That's why I think Kawhi staying isn't that terrible. I don't see him aging very well. He may still play at an elite level in some games but probably will need a lot of rest (and PG13 is "old" as well) so we will get some decent picks for sure.

I think it will be better for the picks if he sign elsewhere though , cause if he stays and sign an extension , he would be signing multi year contract extension.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#411 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:

I think it will be better for the picks if he sign elsewhere though , cause if he stays and sign an extension , he would be signing multi year contract extension.

oh for sure. I just think we may still end up with decent/good picks even if Kawhi resign for 4 years. "Old" Kawhi and PG13 eating a lot of Clippers salary cap will be a problem for them in 2024+.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#412 » by Devilanche » Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

oh for sure. I just think we may still end up with decent/good picks even if Kawhi resign for 4 years. "Old" Kawhi and PG13 eating a lot of Clippers salary cap will be a problem for them in 2024+.

Oh that’s true too. If his condition is as advertised we may have already seen Kawhi peak and he can’t play up to the value of his next contract.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#413 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:20 am

boy I really love Sengun. He may the player with the highest ceiling outside of the top 5.

Don't want to draft a big with a pick n°6 or 7 but at the same time I don't see who I value more than him right now.

I'm probably too high on him though because he's not even a lotto pick on most mock drafts :)
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#414 » by namlede » Thu May 27, 2021 3:36 am

Rank your top 5 or so prospects.

1) Cade. A star that can affect games in more ways than 1. Can do everything on the court. Good leader and not afraid of the big moments. He has Shai to help take the scoring load off him too. Perfect fit.

2) Suggs. A natural leader with tremendous poise and grit. Not afraid to fail and will do whatever it takes to win. Has some polishing to do on his offensive game but him and Shai would be a sick backcourt. Knowing Shai or Suggs would have the ball in crunch time will calm our nerves.

3) Mobley. I'm not as high on him as most but can't deny his defensive potential. Having him anchor our defense takes tremendous stress off everyone else. Think a slightly smaller Gobert with more offensive upside.

4) Green. Not confident he is the next Kobe/Wade but his athleticism is world class. Also seems to be really confident borderline cocky. Hope he is more Kobe than Crawford. Still, if we get him I'd be really excited, he is a human highlight reel.

5) Kuminga. If he is anything like Serge I think we will all love him. More raw than Cade, but has the ability to have a similar impact in his prime if he can improve his shooting. I love his frame. Good quickness/strength/acceleration/balance.

Honorable mention:
Sengun - tough as nails competitor with excellent offensive skills for an 18 year old big man minus the shooting. Not sure how his defense translates, but he is smart and tough.

Keon Johnson - another great athlete, not quite as explosive as Green but is stronger. Needs to improve his deep shooting and knowing when to shoot/ pass. Really like his movement, seems like a very aggressive player. With the right development he has diamond in the rough potential.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#415 » by Devilanche » Thu May 27, 2021 5:29 am

Putting mine into 2 tier: earlier name is ranked higher

Top 4 pick : Cade / Green / Mobley /Suggs

Rest of selection :Sengun / Giddey / Kuminga /Garuba / 3&D wing / foreign stash .
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#416 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 27, 2021 12:55 pm

I find myself partial to Suggs and Mobley after Cade. Green’s talent and ceiling is undeniable but Suggs to me is a guy that’s going to be that his impact will go beyond the box score. He strikes me as a guy that will be a winner wherever he goes.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#417 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Devilanche wrote:Putting mine into 2 tier: earlier name is ranked higher

Rest of selection :Sengun / Giddey / Kuminga /Garuba / 3&D wing / foreign stash .

Basically the same but I would rank Kuminga on his own tier between the top 4 and the rest.

I rather pick Sengun over Garuba but I like both of them.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#418 » by Devilanche » Thu May 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Putting mine into 2 tier: earlier name is ranked higher

Basically the same but I would rank Kuminga on his own tier between the top 4 and the rest.

I rather pick Sengun over Garuba but I like both of them.

It’s just that I view Kuminga as less likely to hit his potential and even if he did it will probably take a while. Given that we would have a lot of picks incoming there’s a small chance that if he doesn’t develop fast enough , his payout would be on a second contract elsewhere as a team reclamation project once the rookie scale contract is over.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#419 » by bbms » Fri May 28, 2021 5:34 pm

Mobley is my favourite fit. Perfect modern big. Pick and roll defense dominance, switchability, natural on closeouts and perimeter defense, footwork, lenght, mobility, shooting range, on ball skills.

Cade is a great talent but IMO he's a bit redundant with SGA. He would be my number two. Also the talent dropoff from Mobley to the next big is way higher than the talent dropoff from Cade to the next playmaker/wing.

I think the Thunder should focus on acquiring players on the 6'8"+ size. We already have enough guard prospects.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,883

Post#420 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Mobley is a special talent. Most guys with his special physical traits are not that skilled, but he is that rare guy who has both elite measurables and a great feel for the game. His touch is pretty underrated, he seems to always get the bounce on his hook shots. And his passing is going to be really good as well, thinking 4apg when he is developed.

It will come down to adding weight and maintaining his bounce IMO. I think he could fill out like LMA within a few years, but there is always that chance he is a Nerlens Noel. Outside that, he has the full toolbelt, but I do think he is closer to a 18-10-4-2 type than a huge scorer in this league. He doesnt have a great killer instinct.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder