ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 655

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#281 » by BilboBanginz » Wed May 26, 2021 11:52 pm

Was the highest ranked Canadian in the 2019 class. Kinda forgot about him tbh

Read on Twitter
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#282 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Grange story on our 3/3 men's basketball team which starts it's Olympic qualification run today.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/article/canadian-mens-3-3-team-shouldering-hopes-country-sport/

He also released this nugget regarding the Victoria team.

" They are releasing a preliminary training camp roster on Thursday."

Big day for Canada Basketball.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#283 » by mojo13 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:11 pm

There it is.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

No Boucher, SGA or Pangos - but pretty much everyone else. Awesome list.
Also note this is a "Accepted Invite" list.

PG is thinner than my liking. Guess we will see NAW at PG.
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#284 » by Kid Canada » Thu May 27, 2021 3:30 pm

Cojo
Wiggins
Brooks
RJ
Olynyk starting five?

N.a.w
Dort
Brissett
Thompson off the bench.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#285 » by Bruin » Thu May 27, 2021 3:31 pm

I believe Shai and Boucher are both out for injury concerns. Blake Murphy also mentioned that because Bouchers contract isn’t guaranteed, he’s gonna have to be cautious with his injury

They can still be added to the Olympic rosters later on if they choose to join in

Don’t think we’ve ever had a team close to being as loaded as this. Hopefully we qualify and push for a medal. Silver is definitely attainable with this roster if everything goes our way
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#286 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:40 pm

mojo13 wrote:There it is.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

No Boucher, SGA or Pangos - but pretty much everyone else. Awesome list.
Also note this is a "Accepted Invite" list.

PG is thinner than my liking. Guess we will see NAW at PG.

Is anybody else very skeptical here. We have seen a list like this before and it meant nothing.

Somebody needs to explain to me why Pangos is not on there?
Nembhard over Scrubb or Kajami-Keane?
I am not sure this list means much other than these guys intend to play. It says they accepted an invite, so that has me assuming we will see TT back in the fold. Also, Powell will be back if Luca gets hurt or forgets how to play. Also, is Cojo playing or is he just coming to camp?
Soooo many questions here. Hopefully someone sits down with Rowan Barrett and asks some questions.

Anthony Bennet!!??
Kenter16
Junior

Post#287 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:43 pm

With Boucher out it opens up a spot at the 4. We could see Trey Lyles play in tourney. There is a risk/reward situation there. He hardly played the last half of the season. This could be some good exposure heading into free agency.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#288 » by Pooh_Jeter » Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 pm

Excellent list all things considered.

How big is the roster for the qualifiers? Is it only 12?

Things can change between now and then, but as it stands....

Locks:

Given their talent/commitment to the program in the past...

RJ
CoJo
Birch
Brooks
Olynyk
Powell
TT
Wiggins

Near Locks:

New or newish guys who I'd be quite surprised if they didn't get named to the team...

NAW
Clarke
Dort

That's 11 guys right there and I would think Ejim is basically a lock as well.

If the roster limit is 12 that's basically your team I would think save for any last minute pull outs. Could definitely use another guard and I'd imagine Nembhard/Mulder would have the inside track on that.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#289 » by mojo13 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Recall Pangos got hurt right after the 2019 WC (maybe during) and lost an entire season with Barcelona.
I'm sure something like that factors into his decision.

If I was the owner of Zenit, I would have stipulated no Team Canada as part of signing his new contract.
OntZags
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#290 » by OntZags » Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm

No Pangos is really disappointing. Figured hed be a lock and a good chance at starting with Murray & SGA out. PG is a concern, will be relying on Joseph for heavy minutes.

That said, biggest turnout yet. I feel pretty good about our chances to get to Tokyo.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Post#291 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 pm

Pretty good list if it really is people who intend to play. The fact that they've accepted invites may or may not mean that they're actually committed to seeing it through.

Still, I'm optimistic. It's a list that has a fair amount of flexibility for Nick Nurse to work with, particularly on the defensive end. And then on offence, you've got proven scorers like Wiggins, Brooks, and Olynyk.

As others have mentioned, the list is a little light on point guards. It seems CoJo is going to be as important as ever, and then NAW will probably get a lot of time at the point as well. Beyond that, does the team take Nembhard or Bell-Haynes just to have a 3rd player that can play point? If not, who would be the third option to run the team in an emergency? Barrett or Brooks?

It's interesting that both Lyles and Clarke are on the list for the first time (Lyles played as a junior though), and unfortunately for them, it might be the most stacked roster for quality big men in a while. I can't see both of them making it. Olynyk, Birch, and TT are likely locks, so that probably leaves those two, Powell and Ejim to fight it out for two more spots (I don't see Bennett, Alexander, or Nicholson making it out of this list). I hope Lyles and Clarke don't get discouraged if they don't make the team. We may yet need them in some qualifying games or other tournaments down the road.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#292 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:27 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:As others have mentioned, the list is a little light on point guards. It seems CoJo is going to be as important as ever, and then NAW will probably get a lot of time at the point as well. Beyond that, does the team take Nembhard or Bell-Haynes just to have a 3rd player that can play point? If not, who would be the third option to run the team in an emergency? Barrett or Brooks?.

And what if Cory Joseph doesn't play? His contract situation is not settled. At least not publicly. It would get very dicey, very quick. These rosters don't mean much though, as we learnt for the world cup. They can completely change who actually comes. If Cory is out I would suspect that Phil Scrubb gets an invite.
Nembard is a good 3rd option, but we better have a backup plan.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#293 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Excellent list all things considered.

How big is the roster for the qualifiers? Is it only 12?

Things can change between now and then, but as it stands....

Locks:

Given their talent/commitment to the program in the past...

RJ
CoJo
Birch
Brooks
Olynyk
Powell
TT
Wiggins

Near Locks:

New or newish guys who I'd be quite surprised if they didn't get named to the team...

NAW
Clarke
Dort

That's 11 guys right there and I would think Ejim is basically a lock as well.

If the roster limit is 12 that's basically your team I would think save for any last minute pull outs. Could definitely use another guard and I'd imagine Nembhard/Mulder would have the inside track on that.

Most of the 'locks' have question marks. Just because KO and Cojo accepted the invited doesn't mean that their contracts will inhibit their ability to participate. Powell is the most likely to have a long playoff run and RJ can be included in the maybe a playoff run category. Dort is a lock and if NAW accepted an invite to this camp like they say, I would put him as a lock.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#294 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Brutal news. I was hoping he would be in Toyko. This hurts more with Murray out.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#295 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sounds like Boucher will not participate in the Olympics either. Two tough blows. One day we will put our best 5 on the court, one day...
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#296 » by tecumseh18 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Kenter16 wrote:Is anybody else very skeptical here.

I'm generally a very skeptical person in real life, but when it comes to things that don't really matter - e.g sports - I'm a wide-eyed optimist.

It's more fun that way. Weeks/months of positivity followed by a day or two of negativity > Weeks/months of negativity followed by ... a day or two of negativity (albeit with a "I told you so" kicker).
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#297 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:11 pm

Greek media reported that Vassilis Spanoulis officially joined Greece's team for the qualifiers and Rick Pitino made him the team captain, and apparently he talked to the Antetokounmpo brothers (Giannis, Thanasis, Kostas) and was able to convince them to play as well, if their teams don't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs (Spanoulis is friends with the Antetokounmpo brothers since they were young).

So, assuming the Lakers (Kostas) make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs and the Bucks lose to the Nets in the 2nd round, that means that Giannis and Thanasis would play, as long as Thanasis can properly recover from his knee injury, which doesn't seem to be that serious.

No final word yet on Kostas Papanikoloau, who is still recovering from season ending neck surgery, but I assume he won't play. Pitino was also supposedly talking to "AEK Athens players", so perhaps that means Spanoulis also convinced Nikos Zisis to come back to the national team, but I'm just speculating on that. So, if the Bucks do lose to the Nets and the Lakers advance to the WCFs, Greece's 12 man team at the Pre-Olympic tournament might look something like this:

PG Nick Calathes 6-6 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
SG Vassilis Spanoulis 6-4 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
SF Ioannis Papapetrou 6-9 (EuroLeague)
PF Giannis Antetokounmpo 6-11 (NBA)
C Georgios Papagiannis 7-3 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)

PG Kostas Sloukas 6-3 (EuroLeague)
SG Tyler Dorsey 6-5 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
SF Thanasis Antetokounmpo 6-6 (NBA)
PF Georgios Printezis 6-9 (EuroLeague, NBA draft pick)
C Dinos Mitoglou 6-11 (EuroLeague)

PG Nikos Zisis 6-6 (FIBA Champions League, ex EuroLeague)
C Kosta Koufos 7-0 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#298 » by Jstock12 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Greek media reported that Vassilis Spanoulis officially joined Greece's team for the qualifiers and Rick Pitino made him the team captain, and apparently he talked to the Antetokounmpo brothers (Giannis, Thanasis, Kostas) and was able to convince them to play as well, if their teams don't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs (Spanoulis is friends with the Antetokounmpo brothers since they were young).

So, assuming the Lakers (Kostas) make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs and the Bucks lose to the Nets in the 2nd round, that means that Giannis and Thanasis would play, as long as Thanasis can properly recover from his knee injury, which doesn't seem to be that serious.

No final word yet on Kostas Papanikoloau, who is still recovering from season ending neck surgery, but I assume he won't play. Pitino was also supposedly talking to "AEK Athens players", so perhaps that means Spanoulis also convinced Nikos Zisis to come back to the national team, but I'm just speculating on that. So, if the Bucks do lose to the Nets and the Lakers advance to the WCFs, Greece's 12 man team at the Pre-Olympic tournament might look something like this:

PG Nick Calathes 6-6 (EuroLeague)
SG Vassilis Spanoulis 6-4 (EuroLeague)
C Georgios Papagiannis 7-3 (EuroLeague)

SG Tyler Dorsey 6-5 (EuroLeague)
PF Georgios Printezis 6-9 (EuroLeague)

PG Nikos Zisis 6-6 (FIBA Champions League)
C Kosta Koufos 7-0 (EuroLeague)

Spanoulis was sooooo bad in the Euroleague this year. I don't think he's gonna play much for Greece. More of a locker room veteran.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#299 » by Mattd97 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:22 pm

Doornekamp is gonna be on these lists when he's a 64 year old man
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Kenter16
Junior

Post#300 » by Kenter16 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:23 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Greek media reported that Vassilis Spanoulis officially joined Greece's team for the qualifiers and Rick Pitino made him the team captain, and apparently he talked to the Antetokounmpo brothers (Giannis, Thanasis, Kostas) and was able to convince them to play as well, if their teams don't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs (Spanoulis is friends with the Antetokounmpo brothers since they were young).

PG Nick Calathes 6-6 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
SG Vassilis Spanoulis 6-4 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
C Georgios Papagiannis 7-3 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)

SG Tyler Dorsey 6-5 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)
PF Georgios Printezis 6-9 (EuroLeague, NBA draft pick)

PG Nikos Zisis 6-6 (FIBA Champions League, ex EuroLeague)
C Kosta Koufos 7-0 (EuroLeague, ex NBA)

I figured. A **** toad is so.

Go BUCKS!!

Return to Toronto Raptors