ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#301 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:24 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Spanoulis was sooooo bad in the Euroleague this year. I don't think he's gonna play much for Greece. More of a locker room veteran.

He was on a very strict minutes and role restriction, per doctor's orders, because of his two major reconstructive foot surgeries and because he wasn't supposed to play this season (normal return time was the 21-22 season). Recovery time for the second surgery was set at 18-24 months (24 months for full recovery). He's going to be 16-and-a-half months post surgery, by the time the Pre-Olympic tournament starts. So there shouldn't be that much more physical restrictions on him from the doctors, or at least much less than what he had during this season. Also, Pitino said that he planned for Spanoulis to be the team's leader, if Giannis does not play.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#302 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu May 27, 2021 5:44 pm

That's really unfortunate about SGA. I had hoped that he might be available for the Olympics if Canada got past the qualifying tournament.

Guess I'll just have to keep dreaming of an SGA-Murray-Barrett lineup for 2024 when they're all in their prime.

For this year, I still think there's a decent chance Team Canada qualifies. Then I guess I'll hopefully enjoy the Olympics as a reward for guys like CoJo and TT (and possibly Olynyk?), who likely won't make the team three years from now, but have put in a lot of hours with the national program. It would be good for them to finally play in the Olympics, even if a podium finish is unlikely without guys like SGA and Murray.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#303 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:49 pm

Kenter16 wrote:I figured. A **** toad is so.

Go BUCKS!!

Well, just remember that so far, Giannis has always been a huge disappointment every time he played with Greece. In general, Greece has gotten noticeably worse on offense as a national team since Giannis joined it. They even played much better against the USA at the 2019 FIBA World Cup, after the coach benched Giannis. So unless he adapts a lot better to FIBA basketball this summer, it might actually be a blessing in disguise for Canada, if he plays.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#304 » by arbsn » Thu May 27, 2021 5:55 pm

Damn, now i'm secretly hoping for Memphis and NY to lose in the first round. Having Brooks could be the single most important player of the 21 at training camp. His intensity, defense and shooting ability are much needed. Barrett is probably second most important. Really sucks that we wont have one of our top 3 G choices in Jamal, SGA, Pangos

My top 12 would be

PG: Cojo
SG: Brooks
SF: Barrett
PF: Wiggins
C: Olynyk

6: NAW
7: Dort
8: Brissett
9: Dwight Powell
10: Tristan Thompson

11: Mulder
12: Brandon Clarke

Disappointed they are letting Doornekamp anywhere near this team. Him and Jay Triano are the reason our program lost 4 years. Well mostly Jay Triano for playing Doornekamp over Wiggins on the biggest possession for Canada basketball in this generation. Surprised (and happy) to not see any Scrubbs.
Beerpapi
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#305 » by Beerpapi » Thu May 27, 2021 6:02 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Is anybody else very skeptical here. We have seen a list like this before and it meant nothing.

Somebody needs to explain to me why Pangos is not on there?
Nembhard over Scrubb or Kajami-Keane?
I am not sure this list means much other than these guys intend to play. It says they accepted an invite, so that has me assuming we will see TT back in the fold. Also, Powell will be back if Luca gets hurt or forgets how to play. Also, is Cojo playing or is he just coming to camp?
Soooo many questions here. Hopefully someone sits down with Rowan Barrett and asks some questions.

Anthony Bennet!!??

You have to be skeptical as we’ve seen this so many times before. Great invite lists and then as the event approaches players drop out leaving us with Scrubs (pun intended).
It’s a nice list but it’s just a bunch of names until camp opens and the players are actually there.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#306 » by frumble » Thu May 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Great list (with the exception of PG), but I share the skepticism voiced by others. Especially for players still in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be so quick to dis P. Scrubb. We are about one guard withdrawal away from really wishing he were on the list.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#307 » by arbsn » Thu May 27, 2021 6:21 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Guess I'll just have to keep dreaming of an SGA-Murray-Barrett lineup for 2024 when they're all in their prime.

I remember feeling that way 7 years ago about the 2020 Olympics with Tyler Ennis, Stauskas, XRM, Cojo, Wiggins, Lyles, Bennett, TT and Kelly

such a promising time :blank:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,055

Post#308 » by ItsDanger » Thu May 27, 2021 6:24 pm

First impression is a lack of consistent perimeter shooting. A deep roster though.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#309 » by TheFutureMM » Fri May 28, 2021 12:27 am

We have a luxury of big men to pick from and are decent on the wing if can get 2-3 of Wiggins/Brooks/NAW/Barrett/Dort. Worried about the PG position in all honesty - Pangos not playing is a massive hit. I fully expect to see Nembhard make this team now.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#310 » by mojo13 » Fri May 28, 2021 4:22 am

TheFutureMM wrote:We have a luxury of big men to pick from and are decent on the wing if can get 2-3 of Wiggins/Brooks/NAW/Barrett/Dort. Worried about the PG position in all honesty - Pangos not playing is a massive hit. I fully expect to see Nembhard make this team now.

Trae Bell Haynes is likely the better choice there.

I’m not sure people are aware of his near MVP season in the BBL this season.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#311 » by Hair Canada » Fri May 28, 2021 4:43 am

Some thoughts:

Overall, not bad. But the ommissions, even if they are few, are in key positions. Given how things have shaped up, the two most important players that I hope end up in the qualifiers are CoJo and Olynyk. CoJo because he's the only experienced high-level true playmaker in this roster and Olynyk because he's the only true big (PF/C) who can shoot and pass at a high level, which is crucial for the FIBA game. Everyone else seems replaceable to some degree (including Wiggins/Brooks/Barrett if at least two of these show up). Unfortunately, both CoJo and Olynyk are (restricted) free agents and so I think neither is a lock-in.

As others have noted, the PG position seems like the weakest link. What a shame, as this was supposed to be our forté. If Cojo is in, then we should be okay with NAW as a potential backup. But I imagine Nurse might want another true PG, as NAW is more of a SG. And in any case, you want to have multiple creators on the court. Brooks, Barrett, and Wiggins can all create, but they more often do it for themselves than for others.

So who else? Nembhard might be the guy, both because he's already played for Team Canada and Nurse at the WC and because coaches seem to love having him on the court at just about any level he's played. But I think I'd actually prefer to see TBH get a shot after a marvelous season in Germany, as he has better FIBA experience and the advantage of leading a pro team. In any case, whoever it is, I think that's more important than having say a shooter like Mulder on the team. You need to have the ball moving and playmakers who can find guys in their best spots and maximize their strengths.

As for the bigs, we have a gluttony of them, but I do think having both Boucher and Wiltjer out hurts some. As I said, it leaves Olynyk as the one big man who can shoot also shoot it (as well as create for others). Birch and TT bring much of the same. And so do Powell and Clarke. So arguably it would be more useful to have Lyles or Brissett (and maybe even both) than all of the other 4 next to Olynyk (again, really hope he's in). They bring a more diverse skillset, though we'll need to see that Lyles is in good shape. And

Speaking of bigs, it's interesting to see Alexander on the roster but not Kabengele. I think neither of these has/had a good chance to make it to the final roster. But Kabengele is largely considered to have a higher ceiling down the line and brings outside shooting to the table.

There's more, but let's leave some for training camp.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#312 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:47 pm

After Vassilis Spanoulis returned to the Greek national team, Tyler Dorsey said he wasn't playing. I don't know if it's because of that or not, but it seems awfully coincidental, since they would have been used at the same position, and Pitino said Spanoulis would have a leading role. So seems to me like Dorsey didn't want to play, if he was going to be in a secondary role.

So Dorsey is out for Greece.

Kosta Koufos is also out of the team. No reason was given as to why, other than Pitino didn't select him. It's probably because he's been so bad the last 2 seasons in EuroLeague.

On a another note, rumors already started that Olympiacos doesn't want Spanoulis to play, because he is still in the recovery phase from his last surgery, and that might supposedly be used as leverage in contract discussions (Spanoulis is a free agent). So that's already become a problem.

Also, I am assuming that Nikos Zisis hasn't agreed to come back to the team, but was asked to by Pitino. That's because the press was saying Pitino wanted an AEK Athens player (Zisis' team), and Pitino was recently at AEK's playoff games also. Then the press just recently started saying that other older players besides Spanoulis, that previously retired from the team should also come back and should accept invites. I can't think of a single Greek player besides Zisis that fits that category.

So, in summary, Tyler Dorsey is out, Kosta Koufos is out, Vassilis Spanoulis is in as of right now, but his pro club team might try to force him out, and Nikos Zisis' inclusion seems to be up in the air.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#313 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:15 pm

So, Greece's 12 man roster might look something like this now:

PG Nick Calathes 6-6
SG Vassilis Spanoulis 6-4
SF Ioannis Papapetrou 6-9
PF Giannis Antetokounmpo 6-11
C Georgios Papagiannis 7-3

PG Kostas Sloukas 6-3
SG Giannoulis Larentzakis 6-5
SF Thanasis Antetokounmpo 6-6
PF Georgios Printezis 6-9
C Dinos Mitoglou 6-11

PG Nikos Zisis 6-6
C Dimitris Agravanis 6-10

With Giannoulis Larentzakis maybe replacing Tyler Dorsey, and maybe someone like Dimitris Agravanis replacing Kosta Koufos.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#314 » by TheFutureMM » Fri May 28, 2021 10:12 pm

mojo13 wrote:
TheFutureMM wrote:We have a luxury of big men to pick from and are decent on the wing if can get 2-3 of Wiggins/Brooks/NAW/Barrett/Dort. Worried about the PG position in all honesty - Pangos not playing is a massive hit. I fully expect to see Nembhard make this team now.

Trae Bell Haynes is likely the better choice there.

I’m not sure people are aware of his near MVP season in the BBL this season.

I wasn't aware to be honest - thanks for pointing that out. I just did a little bit of homework and you weren't kidding. Led the league in assists, led his team in scoring (47% FG), and won "best offensive player" in the league. That's pretty amazing - with accolades like that, I got to assume he's going to try to jump up to a better league, right?

I figured Nembhard (a very unselfish PG) wouldn't have been a bad fit on this team, with all of the firepower we could potentially have available however it might be mute if Bell Haynes can play that role as well.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#315 » by Kenter16 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:17 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

TBH is playing the best basketball of his career coming into camp. I agree with you guys, he's got a shot to be in Victoria.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#316 » by TrueNorth31 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Bennett signs a contract to play in P.R. summer league which starts July 10/21.

https://www.latinbasket.com/Puerto-Rico/news/686415/Anthony-Bennett-agreed-terms-with-Santurce

I suppose if by some unlikely chance he makes the Canadian team he could always quit P.R.

Perhaps since he's always been a stalwart Canada Basketball soldier always showing up for events they are just doing him a solid by giving him some run during camp to help get back up to playing speed.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#317 » by Kenter16 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:34 pm

Quick playoff update:

Boston won game 3. TT had a great game. They are not going to win this series. TT will be available to play in Victoria.

Memphis won game one, but that was with no Donovan Mitchell. Utah has won the last two and will take the series. Brooks and Clarke will be available.

Knicks are in a toss up series, but Atlanta is up a game. 65% chance the Knicks lose. RJ should be there.

Luca Doncic was pulled late in the last game against the clippers. Neck strain apparently. Looks like he will play tonight, but is he at 100%. If he's not the clippers should come back to win. Powell is likely to be in Victoria.

Things are looking good for us. Plus, the Bucks swept the Heat and look great. They are in tough against the Nets, but they have a chance.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#318 » by mojo13 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:24 pm

Any rumors out there for exhibition games?
Our competitors are starting to line things up.

Acropolis tourney in Athens.
June 18
Serbia- Puerto Rico
Greece-Mexico

June 19
Mexico-Serbia
Greece-Puerto Rico

June 20
Puerto Rico - Mexico
Greece-Serbia

Supercup in Hamburg
June 18 Germany – Czechia
June 19 Czechia– Italy
June 20 Tunisia – Czechia

Tournament in Istanbul
June 17 Turkey - Venezuela
June 19 Turkey - Russia

Was hoping we’d catch some America’s teams in Florida before they left for Europe but that won’t happen now.

Perhaps a game or two against the Victoria participants in Victoria or Vancouver a couple days before the tournament?
Kenter16
Junior

Post#319 » by Kenter16 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:56 pm

mojo13 wrote:Any rumors out there for exhibition games?

June 18
Serbia- Puerto Rico
Greece-Mexico

June 19
Mexico-Serbia
Greece-Puerto Rico

June 20
Puerto Rico - Mexico
Greece-Serbia

Supercup in Hamburg
June 19 Czechia– Italy

Tournament in Istanbul
June 19 Turkey - Russia

Was hoping we’d catch some America’s teams in Florida before they left for Europe but that won’t happen now.

Perhaps a game or two against the Victoria participants in Victoria or Vancouver a couple days before the tournament?

I remember seeing something about a couple games against a CEBL all-star team. Is that still happening?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#320 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 pm

mojo13 wrote:Any rumors out there for exhibition games?

June 18
Serbia- Puerto Rico
Greece-Mexico

June 19
Mexico-Serbia
Greece-Puerto Rico

June 20
Puerto Rico - Mexico
Greece-Serbia

Supercup in Hamburg
June 19 Czechia– Italy

Tournament in Istanbul
June 19 Turkey - Russia

In an interview a few days ago on Sportsnet with Smith and Jones, Glen Grunwald specifically noted the lack of exhibition games as a challenge for the team in Victoria, in contrast to teams like China, who will be playing regionally before that. I'm sure they'll be trying to get something organized right up to the week before the qualifiers, but I don't think we should expect much. He seemed to be talking as if they might not even have any.

Nurse better be running some intense scrimmages in practice, I guess.

Return to Toronto Raptors