ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Re: Official Celtics 2021 Post/Off-Season Thread 

Post#281 » by celtics543 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:21 pm

playa-hater wrote:Although this question should be asked after our playoff run, the question that should be asked is, How much change (BIG or not) will be made this offseason?? Does anyone think it will be run back with only minor changes??

If we just run it back with only minor changes then I'm not sure I can watch next year. I know that doesn't bother anyone but we don't have a chance against Brooklyn if we're just making a small change and bringing in a bench big man or a bench shooter. I don't think we're going to get big changes but I think we need big changes.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#282 » by playa-hater » Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 am

celtics543 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Although this question should be asked after our playoff run, the question that should be asked is, How much change (BIG or not) will be made this offseason?? Does anyone think it will be run back with only minor changes??

If we just run it back with only minor changes then I'm not sure I can watch next year. I know that doesn't bother anyone but we don't have a chance against Brooklyn if we're just making a small change and bringing in a bench big man or a bench shooter. I don't think we're going to get big changes but I think we need big changes.

Imagine thinking J Brown is all we need to right this ship. It's going to take BIG Balls to make the necessary changes. Starting from the top.. which means next year's window may be lost already.

Other than my feelings (dislike-hate) for Stevens, I am actually quite an optimist on everything else. But damn this offseason will test that out.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Post#283 » by batabatuta » Wed May 26, 2021 4:04 am

Oh man, there is a lot to work on this team in the offseason. It's pretty much what is obvious so writing about it is going to be redundant. But I do want Ainge and Brad out. Retain those two and it will still be the same team again. Same script, different cast.

I can't say that the replacements (whoever they are) will be an improvement but a change is necessary. It is way overdue. If only Wyc and Co. have the balls to do it.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#284 » by pac213up » Wed May 26, 2021 4:03 pm

You never know what deals are out there to be made. Anyone but Tatum is tradable, although I think Brown is also highly unlikely and Ainge and Ownership like the window those 2 would provide. Fournier is likely the scorer off the bench. I expect big changes but I suspect it will not be about adding elite talent. More likely specialized talent that fits around Tatum and Brown better than exists right now. The big questions are Kemba, Smart, and TT. I would be surprised to see 2 of those guys back. I am probably in the minority but I do not believe this team is that far away, especially with the continued growth of Tatum and Brown but the fit of the players around those guys has to be much, much better. IMO Kemba is a must go, even if the return looks bad. Having a PG that can distribute and defend is more important.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,657

Post#285 » by NuckyPowell » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

It's time to move on from Ainge. I'd give Stevens one more year, and if he can't get the team to play hard and compete at a high level, he can move on, too. It's one thing to lose because the teams you are facing are more talented than you are. It's another to not compete at a high level, and that's been the case way too often in two of the last three years.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#286 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu May 27, 2021 1:18 am

Watching DC-Philly recording. Here we go.
Starters: Smart-Brown-Tatum-PF-RWill3
Get an athletic, rebounding, enforcer machine to support this core.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#287 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu May 27, 2021 1:20 am

Youth: Pritch-Nesmith-Langford-GWill3-C.
Get a young, athletic rim protector to support this crew.
Someone like Wiseman comes to mind.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#288 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu May 27, 2021 1:28 am

Vet bench: get a group of veteran pros who have size, play hard and play the right way. Must include a point, a wing, a rebounder and a rim protectors. This group will support the starters and will get priority over the youth squad who will back them up and who will compete for playing time.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#289 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu May 27, 2021 1:37 am

That's 14 players and 6 of them will be new.
Walker, Fournier, Semi, Thompson, Kornet, Edwards, Waters and Tacko - all gone - and replaced with players that fit better for today's high scoring, defensive needs.
Celtics could easily do this restructure and be ready to compete against anyone next season with the Garden filled with long absent fans.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#290 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu May 27, 2021 1:52 am

pac213up wrote:

You never know what deals are out there to be made. Anyone but Tatum is tradable, although I think Brown is also highly unlikely and Ainge and Ownership like the window those 2 would provide. Fournier is likely the scorer off the bench. I expect big changes but I suspect it will not be about adding elite talent. More likely specialized talent that fits around Tatum and Brown better than exists right now. The big questions are Kemba, Smart, and TT. I would be surprised to see 2 of those guys back. I am probably in the minority but I do not believe this team is that far away, especially with the continued growth of Tatum and Brown but the fit of the players around those guys has to be much, much better. IMO Kemba is a must go, even if the return looks bad. Having a PG that can distribute and defend is more important.

Great post. I totally agree. Keep Smart though. Move on from all but 8 select players.then wisely restock. Let's make it happen!
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#291 » by GoGreen » Thu May 27, 2021 7:16 pm

My hope this off season is the Cs either trade for a playmaker and draft a legit 4, or trade for a legit 4 and draft a playmaker. 2 things desperately needed on this team.
akidlittle
Sophomore
And1: 116

Where are we going? 

Post#292 » by akidlittle » Thu May 27, 2021 7:26 pm

You're gonna win it if you were lucky to get a generational player. MJ in Bulls, Duncan in Spurs, Lebron in all of his teams... You can only draft a one, if you're not LA or Miami.
Is Tatum generational? No. I see Luka as the only generational player among todays young stars.
So we are not going to have a team built around a generational player in a foreseeable future. The last one was Larry.
Also you have a chance to win it if you put a very solid roster with several all-star level players that gel together very well. That should be spiced up with a right system and great coaching (04 Pistons, pre-KD Warriors) or that should be spiced up with an extreme dedication and heart (80s Pistons, 08 Celtics)
Do Tatum and Brown have enough talent and heart to be the cornerstones of that type of team?
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#293 » by klemen4 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:51 pm

Just trade Kemba for 2022 expirings and play the season with smart/Nesmith/brown/Tatum/RWilliams...

Than in summer 2022 let Smart walk and and there will be room for Beal to sign as max FA.

Prichard/Beal/brown/Tatum/R.Williams

...is possible.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Where are we going? 

Post#294 » by cloverleaf » Thu May 27, 2021 7:55 pm

akidlittle wrote:You're gonna win it if you were lucky to get a generational player. MJ in Bulls, Duncan in Spurs, Lebron in all of his teams... You can only draft a one, if you're not LA or Miami.
Is Tatum generational? No. I see Luka as the only generational player among todays young stars.
So we are not going to have a team built around a generational player in a foreseeable future. The last one was Larry.
Also you have a chance to win it if you put a very solid roster with several all-star level players that gel together very well. That should be spiced up with a right system and great coaching (04 Pistons, pre-KD Warriors) or that should be spiced up with an extreme dedication and heart (80s Pistons, 08 Celtics)
Do Tatum and Brown have enough talent and heart to be the cornerstones of that type of team?

What? We didn't have a generational player for two generations? Was LeBron chopped liver?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,734

Post#295 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:01 pm

klemen4 wrote:Just trade Kemba for 2022 expirings and play the season with smart/Nesmith/brown/Tatum/RWilliams...

Than in summer 2022 let Smart walk and and there will be room for Beal to sign as max FA.

Prichard/Beal/brown/Tatum/R.Williams

...is possible.

It's possible if Beal is willing to sign for less than the 35% max, if we can renounce Timelord and then bring him back on a vet min or something. AKA it's not possible.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#296 » by chrisab123 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:20 pm

Well...now that Smart agrees with Kyrie and all the Celtics players are silent. What now? I don't want to sell everyone off but I'm pretty sure Tatum and Brown are severe flight risks. This is more or less the A Bomb on this franchise and I'm honestly not sure they can immediately recover. Its not even the organizations fault it's the fans. This is pathetic and sad. This is going to cause a ripple effect with all Boston teams. Every time someone leaves or spurns the organization its going to be looked at as a possible factor. It sucks.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#297 » by Hal14 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:07 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:Watching DC-Philly recording. Here we go.
Starters: Smart-Brown-Tatum-PF-RWill3
Get an athletic, rebounding, enforcer machine to support this core.

Sounds good, but keep in mind the PF would also need to be someone who can stretch the floor with outside shooting, since Williams can't do that.

So you'd need an enforcer who's athletic, can rebound and stretch the floor.

I don't know if that player exists. Did you have someone in mind?

If not, your idea is nice, but not realistic.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#298 » by Hal14 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Well...now that Smart agrees with Kyrie and all the Celtics players are silent. What now? I don't want to sell everyone off but I'm pretty sure Tatum and Brown are severe flight risks. This is more or less the A Bomb on this franchise and I'm honestly not sure they can immediately recover. Its not even the organizations fault it's the fans. This is pathetic and sad. This is going to cause a ripple effect with all Boston teams. Every time someone leaves or spurns the organization its going to be looked at as a possible factor. It sucks.

I wouldn't read too much into these off the court, random sound bytes from BS interviews.

Kyrie is a moron and he was talking out of his a@@.

Most of the players chose not to feed into Kyrie's BS so they said nothing.

Thompson and Smart said they've been exposed to some racism, but again, I wouldn't read too much into it. Reporters need something to write about (I used to be one), they stick their recorders in the face of players, force them to say something for their dumb articles and usually twist their words around and take their words out of context so they can make a dumb article..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#299 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon May 31, 2021 12:26 pm

Question:

Can Kemba opt out of the final year of his contract THIS offseason?

That way the team knows they only have 1 year left on his deal? Perhaps they tell him he will be treated like Horford in OKC and will not get to play anymore at all if he doesnt opt out, but if he does they can trade him easier or can buy him out or something?
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#300 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon May 31, 2021 6:06 pm

Offseason
1) Fire Ainge
2) Fire Austin Ainge
3) Promote Zarren to GM - no brainer
4) Hire Kenny Smith as assistant GM - dont laugh, dude is very connected, very knowledgable. Would be a great get.
5) Fire someone off coaching staff
6) Hire Garnett as an assistant. Need a guy like him on the sidelines in players faces for good and bad and yelling at refs

Return to Boston Celtics