Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 2: Mavericks @ Clippers Tuesday 7:30PM PDT 

Post#241 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 am

NickP wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.

That’s how this team is built.

Off of names recognition. But since they’re role players with names, it’s harder to see. We got frownie face Marcus Morris...the fake tough bully who once hit a Wizard in the face with a ball. *Shivers in Boots* Scary AF. Oh wait there’s Luka blowing by him, scoring, flexing and gesturing to the crowd.

This team should be in on the draft. This team should be in on young talent. Our best defenders: 1) Cant stop Luka; 2) Are 30+; 3) Have an offensive burden to carry.

Would be great if this team kept its pick in 2019 (instead of signing up to lose to the Warriors -_- to attract Kawhi). Maybe we coulda drafted Mattyse Thybulle? Would be awesome to just use a young bull like him for stretches to just hound Luka. He can’t score, but **** it. You have 6 fouls. Pick this man up full court.

We have no Tony Allens for situations like this....maybe Mann will/could help.

But this is how people wanted to build this roster sooo, we’ll have lame overpaid role players who were nicer and tougher in previous places.

“Shutup you’re getting Kawhi and a ring”.
“Shutup you’re getting the best Clipper seasons ever”
Really?
k.

I know how much these 2 losses have added to our frustration. However, any team in the league will do whatever it takes to get Kawhi and PG on board.
What we failed at was surrounding them with Tony Allen kind of players. I did not like the hiring of Lue at all but you have who you have. Now Lue has to figure this out in a hurry. He has to figure out the best squad to get us beyond Dallas. He has to tell the veterans he's sitting their asses down and will take his chances with guys like Mann and Coffy and throw in Luke for some quick buckets. Maybe not Luke ☺️
But as of now we cannot get new players or a new coach as much as we hate the coach or the players.
Bottom line is can we beat Dallas by making changes to the lineup? One game at a time.

This was literally my concern all 2019. We must stay malleable in the event we sign this guy and the roster is not good enough. Draft? Trade? Etc. etc. Couldn't get a single person to listen.

Looking like the roster is not good enough and we have no moves to make thanks to paying the king's ransom for Paul George.

Nonetheless, I grew up an avid wrestling fan. I love a plot twist. I love a heel turn. I love the unexpected.
And as much as I, mentally, am sorta done with this team and this experiment, there is a pinch of a piece of a slice of a crumb of me that is hoping for a huge #PlotTwist and a glorious Clipper weekend in Dallas.

Go Clippers.
Always.
Rather hoist a championship at the end and look dumb AF for saying the Kawhi Experiment is done than actually be right about it being done.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,141

Ibaka's health, Kawhi poor defense 

Post#242 » by og15 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:56 am

Lue said Ibaka's lack of minutes was because he wanted to go small

Back spasms have left backup center Serge Ibaka questionable to play in Game 3 in Dallas. Ibaka played just six minutes during a Game 2 loss at Staples Center, but after the 127-121 loss, he returned to the court for conditioning drills. Ibaka began experiencing spasms Thursday morning, before the team’s flight to Texas, coach Tyronn Lue said.

He’s hurting pretty bad,” Lue said.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-05-27/clippers-mavericks-game-3-serge-ibaka-back-spasms

Yea...don't know what's going to happen here. This matchup is not one for Zubac

---------

One of the players who really needs to step up on defense is Kawhi. I'm not even talking about guarding Luka or anything, but making the right reads. He was BAD in giving up open three's last game. I don't know how many poor defensive decisions he made to give up three's, but I know there were 4 MAKES that were open shots because of a Kawhi defensive mistake. The most notable was going under the screen vs Luka twice in the same possession. Another memorable one was a three he gave up to Hardaway

Here are all their makes
https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?ContextMeasure=FG3M&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0042000172&PlayerID=0&RangeType=0&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Playoffs&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612742&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

Luka three 2nd Q, 2:20, wrong read, Bev was clearly showing and going back, why is Kawhi switching?

Hardaway three 2nd 0:16, why would Kawhi drop back with Cauley-Stein and leave Hardaway the closest passing option? He points to somehow else to get him, who? Jackson can tag Cauley-Stein, make them make a second pass, etc.

Porzingis three 3rd Q, 9:56, Beverley stays with Hardaway, but Kawhi goes too, this forces Morris to have to pick up Kleber in the paint who Kawhi should have been with. Leaves Porzingis open, PG makes a close-out (kinda out of control), easy side step to get open.

Luka three 3rd Q, 6:53, going under the screen
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#243 » by Mr B » Fri May 28, 2021 1:14 am

NickP wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:When you think about it, we have a lot of players on the back ends of their careers and that's a huge part of the problem we're witnessing now. Pat Bev, Reggie, Ibaka, Rondo, Pat Patterson, Cousins(via injuries). Even PG & Kawhi are getting up in age and both had come back from significant injuries. That's where youth and young talent come into play. First rounders like JRob and Kabengele not panning out has come back to bite us in the ass. SGA traded. Passed on MPJ. Kennard with two DNP's in two playoff games. Mann glued to the bench in favor of a washed Pat Bev who can no longer even play defense is a travesty. You might can get away with that stuff in the regular season but it gets exposed in the playoffs. Player development and Youth to add to the vets is a real necessity and vital in the league and we've neglected this for so long that its caught up to us big time. Where's that young big or point guard that we've developed over the last two years at? Nowhere to be found

Its time to play Mann and Kennard. Hell have Coffey and Jay Scrubb ready to go just in case. I'm basically over this NBA standard "Vets only for the postseason" sh*t especially when it pertains to our team. Play the kids and find a spark somewhere. If we don't win Friday this series is over with.

Off of names recognition. But since they’re role players with names, it’s harder to see. We got frownie face Marcus Morris...the fake tough bully who once hit a Wizard in the face with a ball. *Shivers in Boots* Scary AF. Oh wait there’s Luka blowing by him, scoring, flexing and gesturing to the crowd.

This team should be in on the draft. This team should be in on young talent. Our best defenders: 1) Cant stop Luka; 2) Are 30+; 3) Have an offensive burden to carry.

Would be great if this team kept its pick in 2019 (instead of signing up to lose to the Warriors -_- to attract Kawhi). Maybe we coulda drafted Mattyse Thybulle? Would be awesome to just use a young bull like him for stretches to just hound Luka. He can’t score, but **** it. You have 6 fouls. Pick this man up full court.

But this is how people wanted to build this roster sooo, we’ll have lame overpaid role players who were nicer and tougher in previous places.

Really?
k.

I know how much these 2 losses have added to our frustration. However, any team in the league will do whatever it takes to get Kawhi and PG on board.
What we failed at was surrounding them with Tony Allen kind of players. I did not like the hiring of Lue at all but you have who you have. Now Lue has to figure this out in a hurry. He has to figure out the best squad to get us beyond Dallas. He has to tell the veterans he's sitting their asses down and will take his chances with guys like Mann and Coffy and throw in Luke for some quick buckets. Maybe not Luke
But as of now we cannot get new players or a new coach as much as we hate the coach or the players.
Bottom line is can we beat Dallas by making changes to the lineup? One game at a time.

To me it seems like the the Clippers are missing a floor general. Kawhi is great and Paul George is still very good. The problem the Clippers have seems (to me) to be the same problem the Bucks have. Both teams have a legit superstar and a very good supporting cast, however both teams are also missing a true point. Kawhi had that in San Antonio and also had that in Toronto.

This off season (if they keep the team intact) they would be smart to target Kyle Lowrey or Mike Conley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#244 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri May 28, 2021 6:53 am

Mr B wrote:
NickP wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

Really?
k.

What we failed at was surrounding them with Tony Allen kind of players. I did not like the hiring of Lue at all but you have who you have. Now Lue has to figure this out in a hurry. He has to figure out the best squad to get us beyond Dallas. He has to tell the veterans he's sitting their asses down and will take his chances with guys like Mann and Coffy and throw in Luke for some quick buckets. Maybe not Luke

To me it seems like the the Clippers are missing a floor general. Kawhi is great and Paul George is still very good. The problem the Clippers have seems (to me) to be the same problem the Bucks have. Both teams have a legit superstar and a very good supporting cast, however both teams are also missing a true point. Kawhi had that in San Antonio and also had that in Toronto.

This off season (if they keep the team intact) they would be smart to target Kyle Lowrey or Mike Conley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they have one in Rondo but perhaps he is too old to play major minutes (30-35 minutes). Lowry is the same age as him though- but a better overall player. He is the kind of guy who the Clippers would get with high hopes just to realize he is in the early to mid stages of being over the hill. We've seen that movie before unfortunately (Granger, Pierce, Turkuglu, Hill, etc.)
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Ibaka's health, Kawhi poor defense 

Post#245 » by TucsonClip » Fri May 28, 2021 9:06 pm

og15 wrote:
    Luka three 2nd Q, 2:20, wrong read, Bev was clearly showing and going back, why is Kawhi switching?

Agreed. Bad read, and one of many botched switches through out the game. The rule of thumb is that the defender who is covering the screener calls the switch. This one looks baked into the game plan though, and was a bad read by Kawhi.

og15 wrote:Hardaway three 2nd 0:16, why would Kawhi drop back with Cauley-Stein and leave Hardaway the closest passing option? He points to somehow else to get him, who? Jackson can tag Cauley-Stein, make them make a second pass, etc.

Dont agree with this one. This is the coverage for the Spain or Stack PNR. Kawhi would drop to cover the roll, Rondo switches onto the shooter (Hardaway), Batum cuts off the ball on the switch. This gets back to what Lue said about Rondo being so smart that he will see the set and an opportunity to trap or double, but the other guys dont.

og15 wrote:Porzingis three 3rd Q, 9:56, Beverley stays with Hardaway, but Kawhi goes too, this forces Morris to have to pick up Kleber in the paint who Kawhi should have been with. Leaves Porzingis open, PG makes a close-out (kinda out of control), easy side step to get open.

Agree here, but I dont understand switching this one. its early in the half. Fight over and show you arent going to let them dictate what happens on screens. I have less of a problem switching this than those ghost screens at the end of the game.

og15 wrote:Luka three 3rd Q, 6:53, going under the screen

Agreed on this one too. Make WCS the target on a lob and finish over Zu. They need to be fighting over these screens.

Overall, great post and thanks for taking the time to break those down yourself as well. Essentially, it comes down to too many coverages across the game. I understand you need to mix it up against Luka, but it doesnt matter if you keep switching coverages if you cant even execute one properly, let alone switch in and out, making things even more confusing.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,141

Re: Ibaka's health, Kawhi poor defense 

Post#246 » by og15 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:43 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
og15 wrote:

Agreed. Bad read, and one of many botched switches through out the game. The rule of thumb is that the defender who is covering the screener calls the switch. This one looks baked into the game plan though, and was a bad read by Kawhi.

og15 wrote:Hardaway three 2nd 0:16, why would Kawhi drop back with Cauley-Stein and leave Hardaway the closest passing option? He points to somehow else to get him, who? Jackson can tag Cauley-Stein, make them make a second pass, etc.

Dont agree with this one. This is the coverage for the Spain or Stack PNR. Kawhi would drop to cover the roll, Rondo switches onto the shooter (Hardaway), Batum cuts off the ball on the switch. This gets back to what Lue said about Rondo being so smart that he will see the set and an opportunity to trap or double, but the other guys dont.

og15 wrote:Porzingis three 3rd Q, 9:56, Beverley stays with Hardaway, but Kawhi goes too, this forces Morris to have to pick up Kleber in the paint who Kawhi should have been with. Leaves Porzingis open, PG makes a close-out (kinda out of control), easy side step to get open.

Agree here, but I dont understand switching this one. its early in the half. Fight over and show you arent going to let them dictate what happens on screens. I have less of a problem switching this than those ghost screens at the end of the game.

og15 wrote:Luka three 3rd Q, 6:53, going under the screen

Agreed on this one too. Make WCS the target on a lob and finish over Zu. They need to be fighting over these screens.

Overall, great post and thanks for taking the time to break those down yourself as well. Essentially, it comes down to too many coverages across the game. I understand you need to mix it up against Luka, but it doesnt matter if you keep switching coverages if you cant even execute one properly, let alone switch in and out, making things even more confusing.
I can agree there, I'd blame the communication on Rondo then for that second play, because if your coverage is to get back, butyou decide to double, you need to let your teammates know and loud. If it is teammates you played with all year and you guys know each other, different case, but these guys haven't played together enough.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,286

Post#247 » by tamaraw08 » Mon May 31, 2021 3:29 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:Relax guys, Dallas shooters will ALL GO COLD next game. Kawhi and PG will tag team and defend Luca, it'll be tied by end of game 4.

This is the Clippers. Dallas shooters will ALL SHOOT 100% next game. Zubac and PatBev will tag team and defend Luka, it'll be over by halftime of game 3.

What did I say again? Huh
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#248 » by clipperlover » Mon May 31, 2021 6:40 pm

clipperlover wrote:How this team responds to this adversity in Game 3 will be the determining factor in this series. Luka and Porzingis have never closed out a team in a playoff series. So, they have not had the pressure on them. Things have been easy for them so far. I remember the Lob City Clips going up 2-0 and then losing 4 straight.

I am not writing this team or this series off. When they got behind in the 3rd instead of taking advantage of the Bonus, they were fighting an uphill battle the rest of the way. If they come back and win this series, then that can be the catalyst for a deep run. Every other series in the West is most likely going to go 6-7, so we just need to take it one game at a time.

While I did not write us off after Game 2, I am certainly not writing off the Mavs now. Game 5 is pivotal and puts pressure on both teams. Our role players need to step up in Game 5. We need more bench scoring because we can't expect Kawhi and PG to do it alone and we can't expect the Mavs starters to shoot 3-21 from 3. Let's see who steps up.

A playoff series is about adjustments. The team that can no longer adjust will get bounced. Carlisle has a couple of chips yet to play and I hope our coaching staffs is ready for them. I would be fully prepared to see more Dwight Powell.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers