ImageImage

Utah vs Memphis -- Game Two: 2 Fast 2 Furious

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Which Guard will dominate the Game 2 matchup?

Poll ended at Thu May 27, 2021 3:15 pm

Ja Morant
33%
Donovan Mitchell
33%
Dillon Brooks
No votes
Mike Conley
17%
Desmond Bane
17%
Jordan Clarkson
No votes

Total votes: 6

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Utah vs Memphis -- Game Two: 2 Fast 2 Furious 

Post#61 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 pm

E S V L wrote:I am celebrating the win. The way our guys (Ja, DB, Kyle) fought back against a mad and angry #1 team in the league is remarkable. That was the win to me.

PS

My takeaway in short is:

1. Ja has little, if anything, to do with humans.
2. Kyle is Mr. Excellence.
3. DB stands for “Dillon the Beast”.

Those 3 have reached another level with last 4 games.

Let me be the captain obvious: Game 3 will unlikely be an easy walk for Utah, to say the least.

Memphis young players have a lot to be proud of
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#62 » by E S V L » Thu May 27, 2021 1:09 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Memphis young players have a lot to be proud of

Ja has balls. I would even say BALLS.

They are going through the amazing experience as a team - it will affect their development in a very good way.

DB has become a beast. I am so impressed by his development, confidence, and maturity.

Speaking about JJJ, I didn`t see him smiling in PO games. For a first time ever. It`s a very good sign that he takes his current struggle very seriously. Given he is a very intelligent kid, I have good expectations regarding his growth. It is coming. There is a chance that it can be Game 3.
FK NFL
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#63 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu May 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Perkins is going to get fined like Nate for speaking truth. Man posted a link on the GB of Perkins saying Grizz young squad got cheated. Fact.

Jazz fan chimes in saying Memphis got 7 more FT's lol... This dumb **** can't even understand that Jazz got 31 FT's while taking 40 3's. That half the Jazz shots came from behind the arc, while Memphis took 60 shots inside the arc as the more aggressive team in the paint. The stupid is real ... & that's why the NBA can get way with it.

The amount of FT's is not a tell, a ref can subjectively call a foul on almost every play of the game. For example, turn a blind eye to a elbow to the face that's committed right in front of you, which should have been a 2 shot tech & the ball back but then call a flop for the same player & a tech on what should have been an easy 2 when Memphis pulled to within 3, lol. Foul out the Grizz main defender Brooks early in the game which helps DM/Jazz on the perimeter to get going from 3. Cheaply foul out Memphis big men with Jaren's 3rd coming on a made bucket/flop while Gobert is getting away with throwing elbows to the face in front of the ref etc...

Now tell me the team that took half their shots behind the line apposed to the team that took 60 attempts inside the arc should have had more FT's, LMAO, dumb ****.

I don't mind losing, it spurs growth but I don't like being cheated, which Memphis young players were last night. They might not have won with the Jazz shooting so well but they were cheated out of a fair chance too.

The 10pt spread was covered, good job. When last has an official been fined or fired for calling a **** game ?.

I can tell you a great coach was fined for telling the truth. Watch your bank Perk, we see it.

League has been pushing players to not step under the shooters so when you claim three point shooters can't draw fouls is crazy talk. Fouls went both ways and last game jazz players road the bench so plz take off your Memphis glasses. Keep driving into the paint with on of the best shot blockers in the game isn't going to lead to winning plays. I felt couple fouls on Rudy were horrible calls. One on Ja wasn't anyone close so I know the kid is getting calls. Bye the way he's one of the best players in the game today. Stud. Hell of a dog fight and anytime you have a dog in the fight your going to want every call. I bitched about calls both games and felt Jazz didn't get some calls. Like Jonas shoving players out of the paint like rag dolls and refs swallowed there whistles. But you see it every game its nothing new. Some days I wonder why I watch games when all it does is let me down. :banghead: I guess it's love for the sport. Great young team just think your depth might come back and hurt as series goes on. Jazz are deeper squad and the pick and roll with Mike and Rudy killed Grizz about every time down the floor and Jazz still haven't had a decent shooting game. Jordan isn't able to get clear looks and Boges just can't hold onto the ball. Buckle up its going to be Dog fight every game.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#64 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 4:11 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Perkins is going to get fined like Nate for speaking truth. Man posted a link on the GB of Perkins saying Grizz young squad got cheated. Fact.

Jazz fan chimes in saying Memphis got 7 more FT's lol... This dumb **** can't even understand that Jazz got 31 FT's while taking 40 3's. That half the Jazz shots came from behind the arc, while Memphis took 60 shots inside the arc as the more aggressive team in the paint. The stupid is real ... & that's why the NBA can get way with it.

The amount of FT's is not a tell, a ref can subjectively call a foul on almost every play of the game. For example, turn a blind eye to a elbow to the face that's committed right in front of you, which should have been a 2 shot tech & the ball back but then call a flop for the same player & a tech on what should have been an easy 2 when Memphis pulled to within 3, lol. Foul out the Grizz main defender Brooks early in the game which helps DM/Jazz on the perimeter to get going from 3. Cheaply foul out Memphis big men with Jaren's 3rd coming on a made bucket/flop while Gobert is getting away with throwing elbows to the face in front of the ref etc...

Now tell me the team that took half their shots behind the line apposed to the team that took 60 attempts inside the arc should have had more FT's, LMAO, dumb ****.

I don't mind losing, it spurs growth but I don't like being cheated, which Memphis young players were last night. They might not have won with the Jazz shooting so well but they were cheated out of a fair chance too.

The 10pt spread was covered, good job. When last has an official been fined or fired for calling a **** game ?.

I can tell you a great coach was fined for telling the truth. Watch your bank Perk, we see it.

League has been pushing players to not step under the shooters so when you claim three point shooters can't draw fouls is crazy talk. Fouls went both ways and last game jazz players road the bench so plz take off your Memphis glasses. Keep driving into the paint with on of the best shot blockers in the game isn't going to lead to winning plays. I felt couple fouls on Rudy were horrible calls. One on Ja wasn't anyone close so I know the kid is getting calls. Bye the way he's one of the best players in the game today. Stud. Hell of a dog fight and anytime you have a dog in the fight your going to want every call. I bitched about calls both games and felt Jazz didn't get some calls. Like Jonas shoving players out of the paint like rag dolls and refs swallowed there whistles. But you see it every game its nothing new. Some days I wonder why I watch games when all it does is let me down. :banghead: I guess it's love for the sport. Great young team just think your depth might come back and hurt as series goes on. Jazz are deeper squad and the pick and roll with Mike and Rudy killed Grizz about every time down the floor and Jazz still haven't had a decent shooting game. Jordan isn't able to get clear looks and Boges just can't hold onto the ball. Buckle up its going to be Dog fight every game.

I'm not claiming 3pt shooters can't draw fouls but that when you take almost half your shots on the perimeter your not the likely aggressor, when the other team has taken 60 shots inside the paint to use getting to the line 3 more times is an indicator of anything.

Tell me, how does FT's counted show you how many non or missed calls affected the game & or momentum ?. FT's are not a clear indicator as to how a match has been called.

People might think I'm salty. Where I thought the Jazz played an incredible game worthy of the win but I'm going to tell you straight I also think the refs tainted it.

Plain talk.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#65 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Gobert is the backbone of the Jazz defense. A loose whistle for him not only keeps him on the court, it lets him be more effective defensively.

When he clocked Jonas with an elbow to the face in front of the ref baseline early in the game, with no call, I already knew what was going to happen. Late 3rd Q when Memphis pulled the game to within 3, with none between Jonas & the hoop, Gobert flops & gets a tech FT out of the play erasing the easy 2 that would have closed the game. What's good for you isn't for me, a blind eye for one, opened for another.

The Bane foul on a missed 3pt attempt turned a 1 possession game into a run for the Jazz. If it was a clear foul, they wouldn't have cut the replay from showing it. Memphis would have been down 3 with possession instead of down 6.

These are momentum calls, argue their validity either way, take note they occurred every time Memphis pulled close to tying the game.

For those that think this is about winning or losing the game, check the Spurs game thread where I say the officials let Brooks play Derozan with a loose whistle that favored Memphis in their win over the Spurs. By doing that they let Brooks shut down the offense Spurs were running through Derozan & if that was Curry instead of Derozan, he would have fouled out of that game.

I don't want anything other than a fair match, real competition, win or lose.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#66 » by bobobolas10 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:21 pm

I agree with you guys, the refs ruined it at some very important moments. I watched it with my memphis glasses. lol

However, on to the next. Guys, what do we need to do to WIN game 3?!?!?! I have it:

1.- JV and DB should stay out of foul trouble
2.- those 2 and Anderson+JA should keep that energy. Keep it coming! We need that big4 working.
3.- Give JJJ another chance and if he doesnt get going in the 1st half, bench him and try Clarke on Gobert. I dont understand why he hasnt played a single minute.
4.- Bench guys: STEP UP! We need another player having an outbreak. Allen, Bane, Melton,...

If i were Jenkins, I would send my guys at Gobert 6 or 7 plays early in the 1stQ. Try to get him out of the game. Without Gobert, they are lost. He is the KEY of the series. Our bigs are powerless against him, plain and simple. JV, JJJ, Tillman and Clarke cant guard him.
"Take that for Data!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#67 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 5:24 pm

In a 12 pt loss 2 key players that made a difference in game 1, Jonas & Brooks fouled out early & led Memphis in +/-

Jonas played 30 mins (7-12) +5

Brooks played 25 mins (key to Memphis perimeter defense) (10-14) +3

Morant who put up 47 pts was -6 for the starters because he had to carry a struggling Memphis bench with 3 starters, including Jackson, fouled out.

That's some bull **** right there.
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#68 » by bobobolas10 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:29 pm

Whole Truth wrote:In a 12 pt loss 2 key players that made a difference in game 1, Jonas & Brooks fouled out early & led Memphis in +/-

Morant who put up 47 pts was -6 for the starters because he had to carry a struggling Memphis bench with 3 starters, including Jackson, fouled out.

I like your memphis glasses. :D

0-2 in the series. It just cant happen. The 8th seed. Come on!
"Take that for Data!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#69 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 5:30 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:I agree with you guys, the refs ruined it at some very important moments. I watched it with my memphis glasses. lol

However, on to the next. Guys, what do we need to do to WIN game 3?!?!?! I have it:

1.- JV and DB should stay out of foul trouble
2.- those 2 and Anderson+JA should keep that energy. Keep it coming! We need that big4 working.
3.- Give JJJ another chance and if he doesnt get going in the 1st half, bench him and try Clarke on Gobert. I dont understand why he hasnt played a single minute.
4.- Bench guys: STEP UP! We need another player having an outbreak. Allen, Bane, Melton,...

If i were Jenkins, I would send my guys at Gobert 6 or 7 plays early in the 1stQ. Try to get him out of the game. Without Gobert, they are lost. He is the KEY of the series. Our bigs are powerless against him, plain and simple. JV, JJJ, Tillman and Clarke cant guard him.

IMO your take is on point but there's nothing Memphis can do about players fouling out, Jonas & Brooks were targeted because they were the keys to winning game 1, check my post above on their impact in their minutes played.

What happens when you have a bench that's struggling & the refs foul out 3 starters ? You get Morant averaging 47 while being -6 playing with a struggling bench.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 5:31 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:In a 12 pt loss 2 key players that made a difference in game 1, Jonas & Brooks fouled out early & led Memphis in +/-

I like your memphis glasses. :D

0-2 in the series. It just cant happen. The 8th seed. Come on!

I'm a Raptor fan.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 5:36 pm

In a loss that saw Memphis lose by 12, Morant who put up 47 points was the only starter that had a - rating. With 3 starters fouling out to a struggling bench.

My googles see through bull ****.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#72 » by Cappy_Smurf » Thu May 27, 2021 9:16 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Lets give the Jazz fans another reason for more excuses.

Whole Truth wrote:If people can't see the BS officiating they either blind or **** stupid.

Whole Truth wrote:What's the name of the officials that called this match?

They the real MVP

Whole Truth wrote:
I don't mind losing, it spurs growth but I don't like being cheated, which Memphis young players were last night.

So when Utah fans complain about officiating, it's just sour grapes and flimsy excuses, but when it goes the other way it's total legit and you'd have to be an idiot not to see, lol.

Noted.

From my point of view, Utah got hosed in the 1st game and the league tried to make up for it in the 2nd game. But you know, to each his own. :wink:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#73 » by jman3134 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 pm

At times, I think Jonas brings it on himself by keeping his elbows high and other such things that are commonly taught early in basketball. There have been a ton of flops around him in this series - Gobert in particular.

My issue and most Grizz fan issues with this are that they call tough fouls on Grizzlies starters, but then allow elbows to the face and other obvious calls. These clearly contributed to the momentum swings. I believe that we probably still would have lost, but the officials played a huge role in game 2 with the selective no calls and sudden moments of calling non-fouls.

The Bane foul was a foul, only because the offensive player created the contact. This happens a lot in the NBA and it was a learning play for the rookie. The other plays mentioned in this thread were egregiously bad.

Pick and roll adjustments need to be made and the Grizz bench needs to come to play in game 3.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#74 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Whole Truth wrote:If people can't see the BS officiating they either blind or **** stupid.

They the real MVP

Whole Truth wrote:
I don't mind losing, it spurs growth but I don't like being cheated, which Memphis young players were last night.

So when Utah fans complain about officiating, it's just sour grapes and flimsy excuses, but when it goes the other way it's total legit and you'd have to be an idiot not to see, lol.

Noted.

From my point of view, Utah got hosed in the 1st game and the league tried to make up for it in the 2nd game. But you know, to each his own. :wink:

Why edit my original post ?.

"Lets give the Jazz fans another reason for more excuses. DM hasn't played in a while, might be a good one."

It's because I was talking about having & not having DM.

Utah fans were talking about how they could beat Memphis without Mitchell, I never made their excuses about officiating, It's you that edited my post to make it about officiating.

Disagree with you about game 1 but at least you admit they tainted game 2.. Isn't it what I've been talking about, nice to know we agree they favored Jazz in game 2. You just believe it was a makeup game,
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#75 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:

They the real MVP

Whole Truth wrote:

Noted.

There have been inconsistent calls both ways but yes I'd say Memphis had the more favorable whistle game one and Utah the more favorable whistle in game two. Neither as egregious as what GSW got in the play in against us.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#76 » by Lava Rock Kid » Fri May 28, 2021 3:47 am

Jazz fan here. 1st morant is a stud. When he gets a three point shot wow. MVP.

2nd. How will mike connely be received in Memphis? Do you think he will be booed?
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#77 » by bobobolas10 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:04 am

Lava Rock Kid wrote:Jazz fan here. 1st morant is a stud. When he gets a three point shot wow. MVP.

2nd. How will mike connely be received in Memphis? Do you think he will be booed?

Never, standing ovation in the first game. He has class. One of those player you can never hate regardless what team you support.
"Take that for Data!"
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#78 » by bobobolas10 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:14 am

about the refs making up in G2 from what happened in G1: Well, it just happens, does it mean they owe us one now? We can see it many times in midgame plays, when they call and offensive foul and the very next play, they call another stupid offensive foul in a pick&roll or fighting for the rebound. They even their mistakes.

Now, how much can they impact in a whole game? well, we have 4 players we rely on them a lot. That is JA, JV, DB and Slowmo. Maybe in that order. If you take JA out, our offensive game will hurt a lot but if you take JV out of the game, Gobert will control everything, we have no weapons against him.

So if you cut 2 of 4 players with foultrouble and keep them under 30 minutes.... we are lost.

If you check foul by foul from JV and DB, probably all of them are well called. However, if we do that with Gobert, we can call him 3 to 4 fouls in the 1st Q. (I mentioned Gobert as an example since he is involved in most Utah's defensive plays and he is their anchor/best player so it would impact more to the game)
"Take that for Data!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#79 » by Whole Truth » Fri May 28, 2021 11:11 am

I disagree, so I'd love to know where people think Memphis got the upper hand in game 1 for game 2 to be a "makeup" game?. In stating how they officiated game 2, I gave explanation & examples with my claims that I have yet to see about game 1. So I'd like to hear them.

Here's my explanation & example of game 1.

Gobert committed 11 fouls before fouling out with 6 in 25 mins. I'm thinking that's where the belief is Utah got robbed, Gobert playing only 25 mins ?

With video proof -

first 4 mins of the game, 2 fouls were committed on Jonas, one that should have been an & 1 on the opening play. What's not seen was another foul he picked up in the first 4, where he should have had 3 fouls but instead only had 1. Snyder took him off the Jonas matchup to get him off his physicality in part to save him from fouling (My assumption), was able to bring him back against the bench because he only had 1 foul where he should have had more & that's where Jazz had their biggest run of the game to lead by 13. In game 2, that was not a Memphis luxury afforded. Both key players for Memphis Jonas & Brooks were fouled out the game in the first Q, targeted, not protected like Gobert was in fouling out in game 1.

Down the stretch where Grizz were up 15. An over the back by Gobert once again, not called, a goaltend on Brooks "missed", a Jonas & 1 ruled on the floor is 5pts taken away from Memphis & 3 possession given to Utah, an 11pt swing, which is how the game ended by a possession with Memphis up 15 late 4th, official rulings.

My memory is still fresh of Gobert flopping baseline on Anderson, when he was supposed to be ridding bench.. especially after the early scrum between the bench & Anderson, Gobert walked under the basket to try & flop on him, where he should have been hit with a foul & or tech for instigating apposed to Memphis worrying whether Anderson would get a cheap tech to pull the game to within 1 on a player not involved in the play..

Must be nice to commit endless fouls & get rewarded for flops to draw them because if he didn't, Utah's defense would collapse & Jonas would have had another strong game by just being allowed to play. There was none between Jonas & the hoop when 2pts were taken away & a tech awarded on a flop, ridiculous, especially after they turned a blind eye to a clear elbow by Gobert to the face on him earlier in the game which should have been 2 & the ball back. That one sequence is a potential 10pt swing in a 12pt loss. The bucket taken away & awarded tech on Jonas also came when Memphis pulled the game to within 3, 3rd Q, which shifts momentum. You go from nearly tying the game to down 6. Not to long after Favors got away with fouling Jonas on another made basket that should have been an & 1, a play Brooks saw & reacted too from 3 rows back on the Memphis bench.. you would think the ref right there would have a better view but to his defense, he's probably blind not seeing that clear elbow by Gobert to the face of a player when sitting right there baseline.

Let me here your take now on how they favored Memphis.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#80 » by E S V L » Fri May 28, 2021 11:53 am

Lava Rock Kid wrote: 1st morant is a stud

Mitchell is studdier.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies