Image ImageImage Image

Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#141 » by kulaz3000 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:47 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:I could see him being available if NY lands a top tier PG FA...he is pretty redundant with Quickley if that happens.

Yeah, could be, I think Thibs will want to keep him because he's Thibs though, and I think Derrick will want to stay because he's Thibs. That said, who knows.

We're locked out of the lottery every other year for the next three or four years. Where's the future coming from? Rose? I don't think so. Beyond that, Rose is an injury prone dude playing at 85 percent of what he used to be. You really want to bet on him as he ages even more? In addition, post ACL, he's been mediocre to bad with every coach who isn't Thibs. Even if he doesn't get hurt, and gels with Billy, he will still decline over time.

Other impactful players who may be had with the Mid Level exception:
Talen Horton Tucker - 20 years old
Devonte Graham - 26 years old
Kendrick Nunn - 26 years old
Montrezl Harrell - 27 years old
Richaun Holmes - 27 years old
Josh Richardson - 28 years old

Other players who may become as impactful as Rose or surpass him in a year and sign at LESS than the Mid Level Exception for 3 or more seasons:
Hamidou Diallo - 23 years old
Malik Monk - 23 years old
Dennis Smith Jr. - 23 years old

I've been advocating Richuan Holmes for some time, but he aint going to be had for the mid-level, I assure you that. He is far and away the best big available, so he is going to get anywhere between 16-20 million per season from some team desperate for a big man. Hell, I could see the Knicks going after him.
Why so serious?
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#142 » by TheStig » Fri May 28, 2021 12:17 am

Am2626 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
If has to be a sign and trade don’t see why Coby has to be included. Lowry is a FA so the Bulls can just sign him outright. Assets to get him should be minimized. Coby can serve as an excellent 6th man for the Bulls.

I think the Bulls are better off operating over the cap. They'd have to clear Thad, Sato and Lauri to get the money to sign Lowry.

I don't see the Raptor doing Lowry for Sato straight up.

Lastly the word excellent shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Coby.

If Lowry has decided he no longer wants to be in Toronto the Raptors really don’t have any leverage. They wouldn’t be in a position to make demands. Lowry is an Unrestricted Free Agent. I don’t see Lauri staying with the Bulls and instead of Thad would rather see the Bulls not bring back Temple. Without Temple and Sato, and Lauri on the Bulls you are saying that the Bulls don’t have the cap space to just sign Lowry straight up?

The problem with cap space is that you're losing Lauri, Thad, Sato and probably Theis to get there. So you're losing a lot of depth and the MLE. The Bulls are much better working as an above the cap team.

They won't get much for him but they're not going to take something that doesn't make sense. Coby has more value to you than anyone in the league. They also need the salary to match salaries. They could probably make it work with Brown if Toronto values him.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,011

Post#143 » by Am2626 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:45 am

TheStig wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
TheStig wrote:I think the Bulls are better off operating over the cap. They'd have to clear Thad, Sato and Lauri to get the money to sign Lowry.

I don't see the Raptor doing Lowry for Sato straight up.

Lastly the word excellent shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Coby.

If Lowry has decided he no longer wants to be in Toronto the Raptors really don’t have any leverage. They wouldn’t be in a position to make demands. Lowry is an Unrestricted Free Agent. I don’t see Lauri staying with the Bulls and instead of Thad would rather see the Bulls not bring back Temple. Without Temple and Sato, and Lauri on the Bulls you are saying that the Bulls don’t have the cap space to just sign Lowry straight up?

The problem with cap space is that you're losing Lauri, Thad, Sato and probably Theis to get there. So you're losing a lot of depth and the MLE. The Bulls are much better working as an above the cap team.

They won't get much for him but they're not going to take something that doesn't make sense. Coby has more value to you than anyone in the league. They also need the salary to match salaries. They could probably make it work with Brown if Toronto values him.

Will Reinsdorf be willing to pay for a team that is over the cap and still would not a championship contender? He has always said that he won’t pay the luxury tax unless the Bulls are a championship contender. A 30 something year old Lowry doesn’t make the Bulls a championship contender by himself.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#144 » by TheStig » Fri May 28, 2021 4:12 am

Am2626 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

Will Reinsdorf be willing to pay for a team that is over the cap and still would not a championship contender? He has always said that he won’t pay the luxury tax unless the Bulls are a championship contender. A 30 something year old Lowry doesn’t make the Bulls a championship contender by himself.

Over the cap isn't the problem. It's the LT that has always been the issue because of the higher payroll and punitive penalities. We've been over the cap before.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#145 » by sco » Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:I could see him being available if NY lands a top tier PG FA...he is pretty redundant with Quickley if that happens.

Yeah, could be, I think Thibs will want to keep him because he's Thibs though, and I think Derrick will want to stay because he's Thibs. That said, who knows.

We're locked out of the lottery every other year for the next three or four years. Where's the future coming from? Rose? I don't think so. Beyond that, Rose is an injury prone dude playing at 85 percent of what he used to be. You really want to bet on him as he ages even more? In addition, post ACL, he's been mediocre to bad with every coach who isn't Thibs. Even if he doesn't get hurt, and somehow gels with Billy, he will still decline over time.

Other impactful players who may be had with the Mid Level exception:

Other players who may become as impactful as Rose or surpass him in a year and sign at LESS than the Mid Level Exception for 3 or more seasons:

Assuming you mean we will be operating over the cap, the MLE is almost $10M. I would love any of those guys for $10M, but given how few good FA's there are, the only ones who look gettable for the MLE are Nunn and Richardson - neither solve our PG hole.
:clap:
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#146 » by Andi Obst » Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm

sco wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Other impactful players who may be had with the Mid Level exception:

Assuming you mean we will be operating over the cap, the MLE is almost $10M. I would love any of those guys for $10M, but given how few good FA's there are, the only ones who look gettable for the MLE are Nunn and Richardson - neither solve our PG hole.

Why would anybody pay Harrell more than the MLE? He literally took the MLE last season, coming off a season in which he won Sixth Man of the Year. This season his weaknesses have been exposed far more to the point where he collected DNPs in some games. Yet I somehow keep reading that he’s an interesting free agent who will get tons of money.

There’s also no way I’m paying Nunn the MLE. He’s a replacement level scoring guard with no defensive value.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual 

Post#147 » by sco » Fri May 28, 2021 12:20 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
sco wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Other impactful players who may be had with the Mid Level exception:

Why would anybody pay Harrell more than the MLE? He literally took the MLE last season, coming off a season in which he won Sixth Man of the Year. This season his weaknesses have been exposed far more to the point where he collected DNPs in some games. Yet I somehow keep reading that he’s an interesting free agent who will get tons of money.

There’s also no way I’m paying Nunn the MLE. He’s a replacement level scoring guard with no defensive value.

Agree on Nunn, and you may be right on Harrell. I still like the guy...not sure he's a great fit for us if we keep Thad.
:clap:
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#148 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else cringe when he drives to the bucket?

I'm really enjoying watching the Knicks and I hope they make it to the next round.

The only thing I don't want to see is him laying in a heap on the floor writhing in pain.
It's like PTSD, I just can't look.

and those City Never Sleeps jerseys are TRASH
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#149 » by JimmyJammer » Sun May 30, 2021 4:01 pm

Based on the Bulls obsession with Lonzo Ball, I am going to assume a couple of things. Firstly, they love his playmaking ability. Secondly, they love his ability to shoot the deep ball. Thirdly, they have always loved players with great positional size. And more importantly, they love his ability to play great defense at the point of attack. Derrick Rose offers very little of those, and he is past his prime, with durability problems. The sentimental part of me would probably want to see Derrick in a Bulls jersey, but I can foresee some problems realistically. However, if the choice is between staying with Thibs or coming back home, Derrick would come home, even if it means a little bit less of money.
Daxel
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#151 » by Daxel » Sun May 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, in theory the new Bulls FO does not suffer from this, God knows the team has suffered enough for bad decisions in the past years.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#152 » by ImSlower » Sun May 30, 2021 7:04 pm

ESPN doing the same ish that TNT did, talking about how loud it is in the arena, while also muting the hell out of the crowd noise. Who are making these decisions? I want it so loud I can hardly hear the announcers (and I'm one of the guys here who actually likes Doris Burke a lot).
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,886

Post#153 » by MAQ » Sun May 30, 2021 7:30 pm

ImSlower wrote:ESPN doing the same ish that TNT did, talking about how loud it is in the arena, while also muting the hell out of the crowd noise. Who are making these decisions? I want it so loud I can hardly hear the announcers (and I'm one of the guys here who actually likes Doris Burke a lot).

I actually can barely hear them myself. They sound extremely drowned out by the arena noise.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#154 » by ImSlower » Sun May 30, 2021 7:47 pm

Heh that was meant for the GDT, but yeah point stands. I wish I was still in New York for the MSG feed, apparently it was much more accurate.

Maybe this Knicks meltdown will make it a bit more likely Rose leaves, but I doubt it. He and Thibs are peas in a pod at this point. If he ain't getting delirious cheers from a UC crowd, I'm happy he is getting the love from the MSG one.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#155 » by CobyWhite0 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:07 pm

Rose would have to be a hell of a lot better player than he is right now for me to forget how he sat out the 2013 playoffs even after he was cleared to play.

Derrick Rose's Refusal to Return Is Biggest Disappointment of 2012-13 NBA Season

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1607997-derrick-roses-refusal-to-return-is-biggest-disappointment-of-2012-13-nba-season

Big, massive pass on Rose for me.
Mirotek
Veteran
And1: 1,480

Post#156 » by Mirotek » Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:Rose would have to be a hell of a lot better player than he is right now for me to forget how he sat out the 2013 playoffs even after he was cleared to play.

Derrick Rose's Refusal to Return Is Biggest Disappointment of 2012-13 NBA Season

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1607997-derrick-roses-refusal-to-return-is-biggest-disappointment-of-2012-13-nba-season

Big, massive pass on Rose for me.

He's a COMPLETELY different person and player.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#157 » by HomoSapien » Sun May 30, 2021 8:17 pm

The idea that bringing Rose back is strictly a nostalgic move has become sorely outdated. Derrick Rose is a good basketball player who can help our team get better. I wouldn't prioritize him over Lonzo Ball, but he's a very good low-risk option.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#158 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm

It's worth considering Rose as a strictly basketball option. But he wouldn't address defense nor play-making. He'd be another good mentor for Zach, improve pace, chemistry, get guys talking, and greatly improve bench scoring. He'd be a great replacement for Sato. Would still want another PG.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#159 » by CobyWhite0 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:11 pm

This team has definite needs this offseason, and I fail to see how a guard how a guard who isn't a good defender, who is about as efficient as Coby (.550 TS% for Rose, .540 for Coby), and who needs the ball in his hands to be effective is anywhere but at the bottom of our list of needs.

Return to Chicago Bulls