Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#641 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri May 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:Bezos will turn this franchise into a well run oiled machine, top 3 easily in term of how things are done in term of proper talent evaluation, and efficient utilization of resources. Bezos might not be a football guy, but he knows how to evaluate talent. That's in undeniable as evident by Amazon. And I'm pretty sure that a guy with his IQ can learn how to run a football team and max out its potential.

The others look and sound like bums that will doom this franchise the league doormat as expected. I don't want anything to do with that Ryan guy. He sounds like the typical Chicago rich guy who has profited massively off Chicago political corruption with minimal talent.

Just because someone made a lot of money doesnt mean they know how to properly set up a football organization. Jerry Jones is worth almost 9 billion and that team hasn't been to an NFC title game since 1995. David Tepper is worth 14.5 billion dollars and he wants public money to fund a new stadium. Shahid Khan is worth 8 billion and he thought bringing in Tom Coughlin to run things was a good idea.

Bezos is bit different beast than any of rich guys. He is not worth what he is worth accidentaly. And Amazon is certainly not anything like any other company which exist in world. If you think Amazon is now big, I can only imagine what will be in year or two when they get now in streaming war and pharma business. And that will be without Bezos on helm. Why? Because while he loves profits, he is guy willing to step down and in same time hire ambitious and right people willing take risks, leave job to them to expand overall and make not just profits but growth further.

Is he sports guy? I dont know. Does he have any idea how to run sport franchise? I dont know, likely not. But one thing I know is he will hire people which know how to do a job. And he has enough money in world where you dont need to be worried will he take profits out the franchise, will he be some kind of cheapskate. And if anything based how he run Amazon he is guy who is actually willing to reinvest that money further into franchise.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#642 » by sco » Fri May 28, 2021 8:30 pm

What about Musk?

Not sure if the franchise would be better, but they'd be a wild ride.
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#643 » by Michael Jackson » Fri May 28, 2021 8:31 pm

TheStig wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:The stadium kinda sucks. But they don't want to move either, because they don't want to pay for a new stadium.

So we have this endless cycle where they always threaten to leave using the leverage of Soldier Field sucking, but ultimately going nowhere because the McCaskeys are probably one of the poorest owners in the league.

I’m still waiting for the Gary Bears. It’s not just the Bears though, the site in Elk Grove which was supposed to house the Cubs and Addison. Reinsdorf was moving the Sox to Florida. This is just another threat. That being said I do thing Arlington will do something with that space. Bud hill has threatened to close it for the past 2 years. It isn’t the worst location as far as accessibility either, I just can’t see the Bears moving there.

I can't see the Bears leaving. Just like the Cubs will never leave that stadium either.

And the site in AH will become a mall or apartments or something with a tie in to horse racing as the theme. Very sad.

On a personal note, I loathe going to Soldier Field... it’s a pain for most everyone, Arlington would be way easier access for me, but I’m pretty sure like 110% sure they could care less about my preference lol. I would think that the AH stadium idea would ah e legs on,y if we were going after the olympics again and they need that facility. Other than that it’s the same ok’d bargaining chip that all the other locations have been for all the other teams. The only way it happens is if Chicago doesn’t budge at all on the stadium and really calls the teams bluff. The likely hood of that is nil in my book, I’d bet the Heat winning the Finals this year over that happening. I mean technically there is a possibility but reality says no.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#644 » by Jcool0 » Fri May 28, 2021 8:37 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Bezos is bit different beast than any of rich guys. He is not worth what he is worth accidentaly. And Amazon is certainly not anything like any other company which exist in world. If you think Amazon is now big, I can only imagine what will be in year or two when they get now in streaming war and pharma business. And that will be without Bezos on helm. Why? Because while he loves profits, he is guy willing to step down and in same time hire ambitious and right people willing take risks, leave job to them to expand overall and make not just profits but growth further.

Is he sports guy? I dont know. Does he have any idea how to run sport franchise? I dont know, likely not. But one thing I know is he will hire people which know how to do a job. And he has enough money in world where you dont need to be worried will he take profits out the franchise, will he be some kind of cheapskate. And if anything based how he run Amazon he is guy who is actually willing to reinvest that money further into franchise.

You don't know that. 95% of owners are super rich and rarely do they ever hire the right people. Do you think because he is worth 180 billion instead of 8 billion, he is what going to what pay Bill Belichick and Chris Ballard 100 million each? Also you don't get to be worth 180 billion by not taking profits and being somewhat cheap (Amazon is known for this).
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#645 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri May 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Jcool0 wrote:

You don't know that. 95% of owners are super rich and rarely do they ever hire the right people. Do you think because he is worth 180 billion instead of 8 billion, he is what going to what pay Bill Belichick and Chris Ballard 100 million each? Also you don't get to be worth 180 billion by not taking profits and being somewhat cheap (Amazon is known for this).

Amazon still pays more than what's minimal wage in most states across the country. They are usually cheap on workforce which is last on their pyramid scale of business. But can you blame them? They are not doing anything different than any other big company in US. But somehow it's only Amazon which get slack for it. Same was happening with Microsoft when Gates was richest man on planet and Microsoft was ahead any other company in world. But you dont hear a pip squeak about it now or anymore.

Amazon has different issues with workers and cheap labor which get overworked and overcontrolled. But that's more company's standard and policy. I dont agree with it, but given recent union plans failed tells you also that situation may is bit overblown. Usually workers around the world always get better treatement due laws in their countries protecting workers than US. Let's be real here. Nobody likes their job, most of us dont. And we always have something to complain because our paycheck is barely enough good to live month to month. But you can't blame that on some company or in this case Amazon. Blame that on your government and politicians you choose to vote for who vote against pushing for higher minimal wages and higher salaries in sectors for lower and middle class people instead protecting under all costs rich and wealthy. Who dont wanna get taxed on their wealth. That tax itself would take care of financing complete medical care for all people in US and rich wouldnt even notice it.

There is one war which humanity still need to lead between each other. It's class war. We going here off topic so this is my last post on this subject.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#646 » by TyrusRose2425 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:58 am

dougthonus wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:For me it's mostly about creating a little bit of cap room (I think it does that at least). Then your lottery ticket is in the 6th or 7th, but I wouldn't be picky about that

Not sure what you mean? You think a 6th or 7th is better than a 5th due to salary? Or you think a 6th or 7th is better than a UDFA because of salary? I don't think either of those things are true. I'd imagine there is likely no gap (all of them are at the league minimum) or the gap is extremely small (all irrelevantly close to the league minimum).

No I obviously prefer a 5th rounder, I was just saying where the value in trading Foles for a 6th or 7th rounder also exists. Basically if no one offers a 5th, I still accept a 6th or a 7th for him. Obviously would take a 5th instead of 6th or 7th or both.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#647 » by dice » Sat May 29, 2021 9:11 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
fleet wrote:
dice wrote:assuming that fields is on the standard rookie learning curve, i'd tend to agree. but maybe he shines in camp/preseason

NFL QBs don’t learn holding a clipboard on the sidelines. The popular fiction about sitting for a year is so overblown. NFL is a learning process on the field during games at high speed. The sooner he gets out there, the better the Bears will be more quickly down the line. Wasted time on Dalton will have the fans and media breathing down the Bears neck. Hopefully they use the right calculus and are blowing smoke trying to tamp down expectations.

And maybe it makes a difference if your team has a good QB to learn from. Bears however do not.

actually, it is the longtime QB that has not made it on sheer talent that is probably the very best to learn from. both on and off the field
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#648 » by dice » Sat May 29, 2021 9:21 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

Amazon still pays more than what's minimal wage in most states across the country.

they were shamed into doing so by immense public pressure. and working conditions are still deplorable in many cases. they just fought a unionizing effort in alabama

But you can't blame that on some company or in this case Amazon. Blame that on your government and politicians you choose to vote for who vote against pushing for higher minimal wages and higher salaries in sectors for lower and middle class people instead protecting under all costs rich and wealthy. Who dont wanna get taxed on their wealth. That tax itself would take care of financing complete medical care for all people in US and rich wouldnt even notice it.

agreed

back on topic, while i'd feel better about bezos owning my favorite football team than some random billionaire, it still wouldn't guarantee much. and it boils down to the nfl's hard salary cap
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#649 » by dice » Sat May 29, 2021 9:30 pm

so i heard on waddle and silvy that justin fields's hands measured only in the 16th percentile (smallish). the college ball is slightly smaller in circumference. there has long been a theory that GMs factor that in. problem is, studies show no correlation between performance and hand size
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#650 » by CaPiTanAK » Sat May 29, 2021 9:42 pm

dice wrote:so i heard on waddle and silvy that justin fields's hands measured only in the 16th percentile (smallish). the college ball is slightly smaller in circumference. there has long been a theory that GMs factor that in. problem is, studies show no correlation between performance and hand size

Mike Vick can rip that football with his measly 8"5' hand.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect

Post#651 » by CaPiTanAK » Sat May 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Jcool0 wrote:

You don't create the largest company in the world and become the richest man in the world, by not knowing how to evaluate talent.

The biggest problem with boomer owners, including our own Reinsdorf, has always been to sacrifice long term picture for short term profit.

If Bezos buys the Chicago Bulls, we would be a Super Bowl title contending team year after year. The reason is that Bezos gives zero crap about short term picture. He's all about sacrificing short term gains for long term dynasty.

Chicago sports need to dump all of these loser Mom and Pop owners and bring in millennial money makers in order to propel team success to the next level. You can start by only following these teams peripherally and not spending a dime on them until they start winning. That has been the LA formula, and LA fans have been rewarded with championship after championship or so in every couple of years.
dice
RealGM

Post#652 » by dice » Sat May 29, 2021 10:24 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:
dice wrote:so i heard on waddle and silvy that justin fields's hands measured only in the 16th percentile (smallish). the college ball is slightly smaller in circumference. there has long been a theory that GMs factor that in. problem is, studies show no correlation between performance and hand size

Mike Vick can rip that football with his measly 8"5' hand.

yeah, but that's entirely arm strength. vick also fumbled a lot
dice
RealGM

Post#653 » by dice » Sat May 29, 2021 10:32 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

You don't create the largest company in the world and become the richest man in the world, by not knowing how to evaluate talent.

The biggest problem with boomer owners, including our own Reinsdorf, has always been to sacrifice long term picture for short term profit.

If Bezos buys the Chicago Bulls, we would be a Super Bowl title contending team year after year. The reason is that Bezos gives zero crap about short term picture. He's all about sacrificing short term gains for long term dynasty.

Chicago sports need to dump all of these loser Mom and Pop owners and bring in millennial money makers in order to propel team success to the next level. You can start by only following these teams peripherally and not spending a dime on them until they start winning. That has been the LA formula, and LA fans have been rewarded with championship after championship or so in every couple of years.

you can win by outspending everyone else in baseball. typically not in basketball and certainly not in football. LA wins titles in basketball because...wait for it...HOLLYWOOD. it's what brought them kareem, shaq and lebron. and certainly was a factor in kobe staying when the team sucked after he drove shaq away

the bears would not contend for super bowls year after year with any owner. management doesn't create situations like that, though they may facilitate it. the patriots were a dynasty because of belichick and brady. full stop
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#654 » by Hold That » Sat May 29, 2021 11:08 pm

Read on Twitter
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect

Post#655 » by CaPiTanAK » Sat May 29, 2021 11:35 pm

dice wrote:you can win by outspending everyone else in baseball. typically not in basketball and certainly not in football. LA wins titles in basketball because...wait for it...HOLLYWOOD. it's what brought them kareem, shaq and lebron. and certainly was a factor in kobe staying when the team sucked after he drove shaq away

the bears would not contend for super bowls year after year with any owner. management doesn't create situations like that, though they may facilitate it. the patriots were a dynasty because of belichick and brady. full stop

The Nets suddenly became a marquee team after being the NBA basemen for half a decade due to management bringing in elite management guys, elite scouting department, elite training staff, elite doctors, elite coaches, and then elite players under a cap. All due to a rich owner with monopoly money who is dedicated to winning and understands that increase in franchise valuation > annual profit. Same goes for Mark Cuban turning a once basement mat Dallas Mavs now into a marquee franchise. Also see the LA Clippers, once a basement, that has now become a marquee destination.

That's the difference bet a Bezos vs Mom and Pop owners. We have too many Mom and Pop leech owners for Chicago sports. It's time to move into the 21st century.
dice
RealGM

Post#656 » by dice » Sun May 30, 2021 12:09 am

CaPiTanAK wrote:
dice wrote:you can win by outspending everyone else in baseball. typically not in basketball and certainly not in football. LA wins titles in basketball because...wait for it...HOLLYWOOD. it's what brought them kareem, shaq and lebron. and certainly was a factor in kobe staying when the team sucked after he drove shaq away

The Nets suddenly became a marquee team after being the NBA basemen for half a decade due to management bringing in elite management guys, elite scouting department, elite training staff, elite doctors, elite coaches, and then elite players under a cap. All due to a rich owner with monopoly money who is dedicated to winning and understands that increase in franchise valuation > annual profit.

their last owner was the same way! even more so! he failed miserably!

kyrie did not go to the nets because of their owner or management. that's total nonsense. and durant went there in large part because of kyrie. neither of them needed to be scouted

the nets have been injury-riddled, so so much for the "elite training staff"

and steve nash is an elite coach? wtf?

Same goes for Mark Cuban turning a once basement mat Dallas Mavs now into a marquee franchise.

the mavs turned around by drafting dirk and cuban outspending others when teams could reasonably do that (now they can't). now they have luka. cuban's money had nothing to do with that either

Also see the LA Clippers, once a basement, that has now become a marquee destination.

:noway:

1) kawhi leonard did not return to his hometown...and bring along paul george...because of steve freaking ballmer. whose personality happens to be the exact opposite of kawhi leonard
2) the mccaskeys are not donald sterling. not even close

That's the difference bet a Bezos vs Mom and Pop owners. We have too many Mom and Pop leech owners for Chicago sports. It's time to move into the 21st century.

hate to break it to you, but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. the reinsdorfs and the mccaskeys and the wirtzes (and yes, the ricketts family) will sell when they're damn well ready

and by the way, franchise value is very strongly linked to annual profit
dice
RealGM

Post#657 » by dice » Sun May 30, 2021 12:12 am

Hold That wrote:
Read on Twitter

goes to show how strong the thirst is for a franchise QB in this city
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#658 » by Hold That » Sun May 30, 2021 12:30 am

dice wrote:
Hold That wrote:
Read on Twitter

goes to show how strong the thirst is for a franchise QB in this city

Endorsement money will be insane if he looks halfway competent and will likely be larger than his rookie contract.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#659 » by MAQ » Sun May 30, 2021 12:51 am

That jersey thing would be impressive if Tebow didnt come in at number 1 and 2 as well.

Think Brady was also 1 and 2 last year.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
dice
RealGM

Post#660 » by dice » Sun May 30, 2021 1:11 am

MAQ wrote:That jersey thing would be impressive if Tebow didnt come in at number 1 and 2 as well.

Think Brady was also 1 and 2 last year.

well...tebow is god in florida. and apparently the nfl does a lot of their jersey sales at the local level

Return to Chicago Bulls