ImageImageImage

Playoffs 20/21 - G3 - Mavs vs Clippers (Friday, 9:30 PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G3 - Mavs vs Clippers (Friday, 9:30 PM EST) 

Post#161 » by XTraderXL » Sat May 29, 2021 12:32 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
ARTjoMS wrote:I didn't see KP touching ball much. I don't know what you all expect - his job on offense is to stand in the corner. I did saw 4 assists however and some offensive rebounds in 4th.

i dont understand the "i dont know what you all expect" regarding KP. i think its reasonable to expect more, just more. show more effort when setting screens, rebound more than 3-4 and block shots become a defensive anchor, become more of a lob threat which he cant do if wont set screens. . the guys is getting paid MAX, and already being treated with kid gloves by getting so much rest and letting other guys pick up the slack. he is so soft out there. cant even score on frkin reggie jackson. i dont know how you can defend that play involving him. hes just so scared of contact and it shows. i think luka gets pissed seeing that too. imagine having a 7'3 teammate being guarded by a 6'3 guard and he wont even try to exert his physical advantages, its gonna piss you off too.

He is scared of contact because he is his family's major source of livelihood, it seems. So his brother is always on his ear on everything. They stand to earn millions more if they can extend his playing years.

He already made $150M, probably even more with the endorsements. I dont think its about the money, he is just a mental midget and physically the softest "big" ever. He cant even post up players a foot shorter than him. No wonder he is getting his ass kicked in Latvia, nobody has any respect for the guy.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#162 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 pm

KP and THJ combining for only 21 points while providing next to nothing on the defensive end was the difference imo.
Only 4 players in double figures, and a 30pt difference between the top scorer and the 2nd best scorer is not going to cut it.
To win this series we will need 2 of our role players to play at or above their potential.

And where in the hell is JRich?
This is Delon Wright all over again.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,767

Post#163 » by Archx » Sat May 29, 2021 1:56 pm

Teffer10 wrote:KP and THJ combining for only 21 points while providing next to nothing on the defensive end was the difference imo.
Only 4 players in double figures, and a 30pt difference between the top scorer and the 2nd best scorer is not going to cut it.
To win this series we will need 2 of our role players to play at or above their potential.

I don't think it's fair to blame THJ. This guy came to the Mavs expecting to be a salary dump and someone people will just laugh at and dismiss shortly after. And yet he turned himself into one of the best 6th guys through regular season and basically Mavs best and most reliable 2nd option. He was bound to have a bad game. It happens but what shouldn't happen is the fact that KP is mostly a ghost this season, including playoffs. I did defend him quite a bit while i was also harsh towards him, but i feel more and more, that KP was realistically just a throw in with the THJ trade. I almost feel like he's doing "the Rondo" to the Mavs...
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#164 » by ejs78 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

It's not just about KPs offense

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 397

Post#165 » by boogiezen » Sat May 29, 2021 2:24 pm

There are so much KP slander that I couldn't keep up. Lol. I know that Luka dominates the ball BUT this is my problem when he went to the bench literally the Clips managed to gain momentum. Heck, even Brunson did not look for him and he also tried to post up but he just couldn't do anything about it instead just took a jump shot.

Imagine if KP develop his game more and not just relying too much in the perimeter. He would have many options if his outside game doesn't fall.

Oh well. Carlisle should find a way to adjust, maybe screen his man defending him to give him open looks or roll to the basket but then again it seems to me he is not looking at this option as well.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#166 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 29, 2021 2:31 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
Speadge wrote:Any idea why they don't play D.Powell?
It's not like I expect some miracle here, but still ... He form core of this group, fight with a heart and it seemed to me that he came into old shape at the end of the regular season. Was there any info given by Carlisle at some press conference or something?

Yeah we kinda miss that ally oop threat. I was hoping KP would do that more this playoffs but hasn't been the case.

Mark Followill and Brian Demaris were talking about that on the post game show. They have to make some sort of adjustment to LAC's super small ball lineup. Followill was suggesting more Powell, and Demaris asked "Why can't KP be the roll man?"

That's a great question.

I'm the same way. If KP can't post up Reggie Jackson, and he can't work as a roll man, and he can't protect the rim, then there's no utility for him as a big. He's a 7-3 shooting guard.

First thing any coach in basketball ever taught me was a drop step. Over time I developed a drop step turnaround over my left shoulder, then the fake up & under, then the turnaround over my right shoulder. I was always one of the tallest kids in school, and in the 90s that meant on the block. This is not difficult stuff. We're not talking about the Dream Shake, ya know? Like trying to perfect Hakeem's foot work. Just basic post moves.

It's obvious KP doesn't work on a one-legged step back like Dirk, he doesn't work on post moves. He's not particularly aggressive. I wish someone in the league, a Marcus Morris type, would get into him and let's see him get a little angry. Get more aggressive. Whatever it is, it's lacky. This guy needs to find the love for the game again, because he's not spending the time in the gym. He's spending time at the strip club or whatever the heck he's doing. It ain't improving his game. He's getting worse.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#167 » by Apz » Sat May 29, 2021 2:45 pm

I was so damn tired, I remember luka started like a boss, but only got sporafic memeories of the first half, then i went to bed cause it was no point in staying up when i kepts falling asleep. But guess it looked **** in 2nd?

Big issue yesterday imo were that RC took out luka. They had clippers on the ropes but gave them a way back into the game. Dhould have punched them out there and then.

Better luck sunday I hope
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#168 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Archx wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:KP and THJ combining for only 21 points while providing next to nothing on the defensive end was the difference imo.

I don't think it's fair to blame THJ. This guy came to the Mavs expecting to be a salary dump and someone people will just laugh at and dismiss shortly after. And yet he turned himself into one of the best 6th guys through regular season and basically Mavs best and most reliable 2nd option. He was bound to have a bad game. It happens but what shouldn't happen is the fact that KP is mostly a ghost this season, including playoffs. I did defend him quite a bit while i was also harsh towards him, but i feel more and more, that KP was realistically just a throw in with the THJ trade. I almost feel like he's doing "the Rondo" to the Mavs...

No way am I blaming Timmy for this but if we want to win this series we will need him to be at his best.
He was a pleasant surprise from the trade but he is who he is and my greatest concerns came to fruition that he would cool off and PG would become a huge factor.
KP is the huge disappointment because he definitely needs to step up his game for us to move on in the POs....especially if Clips go small again. He should completely dominate the paint if the tallest guy guarding him is 6'8.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,599

Post#169 » by Dirk » Sat May 29, 2021 3:19 pm

When we started the season, KP and Richardson would be seen as the #2 and #3 players... the latter has been reduced to a small role, while the other hasn't looked like he belongs...

Letting a 19 point lead evaporate so quickly. 20/39 from 3 and still losing. Waste of a golden opportunity.

These games are really hard to watch. It makes you physically sick.

Try to enjoy the weekend gents :D
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#170 » by Darren » Sat May 29, 2021 3:46 pm

I think that's the old problem all season long. Lue just figures it out. Hardaway couldn't keep the offensive production sticking with speedy guard on the defensive end. Without Beverely, the Clippers could have up to 3-4 penetrating threats to exploit the lack of rim protection issues. As Kleber is preoccupied by Kawhi, there's no real rim protector on the floor. KP is just tall. Don't misunderstand as a plus defensively. KP is more defensive liability compared with Luka.

Beverely only plays 6 mins. But the Clippers scores 57% from the field and beats the Mavs despite over 50% from the rim. That's a big statement from the Clippers coach. It's way too early to engage in contract talk with TH. The Mavs celebrates way too early. That's the same mistakes the Heat committed in 2011 Finals.

I think the Mavs has to punch back. This could have started with putting Burke onto the starting lineup to stick with Reggie. Clippers have no answer for Burke last playoff. And without Ibaka, the Clippers also have an issue of lacking rim protection.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#171 » by arkuo » Sat May 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Donnie's lack of creativity has him building the team like his previous big 3. Luka, THJ and KP are Nash, Finley and Dirk. Essentially. It's just that there are a lot of things not clicking. And if he signs John Collins to the max, that's essentially Antoine Walker. He needs to skip that phase and go find himself a shooter like JET and an achor like Tyson.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#172 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:15 pm

Darren wrote:

I think that's the old problem all season long. Lue just figures it out. Hardaway couldn't keep the offensive production sticking with speedy guard on the defensive end. Without Beverely, the Clippers could have up to 3-4 penetrating threats to exploit the lack of rim protection issues. As Kleber is preoccupied by Kawhi, there's no real rim protector on the floor. KP is just tall. Don't misunderstand as a plus defensively. KP is more defensive liability compared with Luka.

Beverely only plays 6 mins. But the Clippers scores 57% from the field and beats the Mavs despite over 50% from the rim. That's a big statement from the Clippers coach. It's way too early to engage in contract talk with TH. The Mavs celebrates way too early. That's the same mistakes the Heat committed in 2011 Finals.

I think the Mavs has to punch back. This could have started with putting Burke onto the starting lineup to stick with Reggie. Clippers have no answer for Burke last playoff. And without Ibaka, the Clippers also have an issue of lacking rim protection.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised Burke hasn't seen the court considering how good he was last year against this same team.
Wouldn't be surprised if Rick tries him out in one of these games if the Mavs go flat.
Brunson is just that much better so Burke has been reduced to a situational/insurance role.

KP is driving me nuts...imagine if he had even half the passion to play and win as Dirk and Luka.
We'd be a top 3 team if he had any interest and if JRich was anything close to what he was in Miami.
It is really hard to watch players with little to no passion in the POs.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#173 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm

arkuo wrote:Donnie's lack of creativity has him building the team like his previous big 3. Luka, THJ and KP are Nash, Finley and Dirk. Essentially. It's just that there are a lot of things not clicking. And if he signs John Collins to the max, that's essentially Antoine Walker. He needs to skip that phase and go find himself a shooter like JET and an achor like Tyson.

Rick won a championship with a strong defensive core.
I'd say KP is less of a defender than Dirk was and we don't have defensive players down the roster like we had with Tyson, Haywood, Mihinmi, Kidd, Marion, Stevenson and Brewer.
JRich and KP are such huge disappointments on that side of the ball that it is literally sickening.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#174 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 29, 2021 8:49 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Donnie's lack of creativity has him building the team like his previous big 3. Luka, THJ and KP are Nash, Finley and Dirk. Essentially. It's just that there are a lot of things not clicking. And if he signs John Collins to the max, that's essentially Antoine Walker. He needs to skip that phase and go find himself a shooter like JET and an achor like Tyson.

Rick won a championship with a strong defensive core.
I'd say KP is less of a defender than Dirk was and we don't have defensive players down the roster like we had with Tyson, Haywood, Mihinmi, Kidd, Marion, Stevenson and Brewer.
JRich and KP are such huge disappointments on that side of the ball that it is literally sickening.

It's not fair to put Richardson in the same sentence with KP when you're talking about defensive disappointments. J Rich has been ok imo. He's a bit undersized to handle Kawhi & PG is quicker than him and has more length. Still, he's had a few steals & deflections, and his free throw shooting (when no one else could make a free throw for the Mavs) sealed the game 2 W.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#175 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:28 pm

It's sad to say but without KP we have 0 chance to win the serie, we need him score a lot of points.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 29, 2021 9:49 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:It's sad to say but without KP we have 0 chance to win the serie, we need him score a lot of points.

I actually think KP is hurting us. We'd have a better chance if they just benched him for the rest of the series.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#177 » by Apz » Sat May 29, 2021 11:16 pm

I actually think kp still is injured in that back. He did like 10 games of 25/10 before he got injured, camd bsck, looked prdtgy decent for a game or w and then he just been dead. I cant see any other reason. I dont think he quit on the team. After that 3 thj did the game before , he was atleast as hyped as thj himself. The way he moves, that looks like hurt back.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#178 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun May 30, 2021 12:32 am

Apz wrote:I actually think kp still is injured in that back. He did like 10 games of 25/10 before he got injured, camd bsck, looked prdtgy decent for a game or w and then he just been dead. I cant see any other reason. I dont think he quit on the team. After that 3 thj did the game before , he was atleast as hyped as thj himself. The way he moves, that looks like hurt back.

That makes sense. I haven't been able to watch many of the games this year, been busy with life stuff & the Fox Sports Southwest/cable dispute.

So, I haven't seen KP much until these playoffs. If that is the case, then what do you do? Should he be out there?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#179 » by Bob8 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:20 pm

Dirk wrote:When we started the season, KP and Richardson would be seen as the #2 and #3 players... the latter has been reduced to a small role, while the other hasn't looked like he belongs...

Letting a 19 point lead evaporate so quickly. 20/39 from 3 and still losing. Waste of a golden opportunity.

Without Curry/Richardson trade Mavs would have been much better team. Catastrophic trade. How much easier would have been for Luka to play with Curry. Management did everything wrong this season. Trades, draft...Everything was disastrous. How many playoffs teams have worse roster than last year?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#180 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:51 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:When we started the season, KP and Richardson would be seen as the #2 and #3 players... the latter has been reduced to a small role, while the other hasn't looked like he belongs...

Without Curry/Richardson trade Mavs would have been much better team. Catastrophic trade. How much easier would have been for Luka to play with Curry. Management did everything wrong this season. Trades, draft...Everything was disastrous. How many playoffs teams have worse roster than last year?

I miss Seth too...

Return to Dallas Mavericks