Image ImageImage Image

Way too early NBA draft thread 2021

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

If we manage to get 3rd pick who do you draft?

Evan Mobley
14%
Jalen Suggs
61%
Terrence Clarke
1%
Jonathan Kuminga
6%
Ziaire Williams
1%
Usman Guruba
1%
Jalen Johnson
1%
Terrence Clarke
No votes
BJ Boston
2%
None of the Above
12%

Total votes: 146

Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Re: Way too early NBA draft thread 2021 

Post#1241 » by Am2626 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:24 pm

ThreeMileAllan wrote:
Pax for Prez wrote:
Salo23 wrote:Some good news.

We will have the option to swap our 2nd round pick (40th) with New Orleans (38th) as part of the Mirotic trade.

So we are currently projected to pick 38th overall. There should be some nice options in that range.

Players that look to be available from pick range 28-43 according to most mocks.

PG M. McBride - W. Virgina
PG / SG A. Dosunmu - Illinios
PG / SG R. Jokubaitis - Internat.
PG / SG J. Ayayi - Gonzaga
PG M. Abmas - Oral Roberts
SG B. Boston - Kentucky
SG J. Primo - Alabama
SF K. Edwards - Pepperdine
SF M. Bagley - Arizona St
SG / SF T. Shannon Jr. Texas Tech
SF T. Murphy III - Virgina
SF H. Jones - Alabama
PF R. Prkacin - Internatinal
PF G. Brown - Texas
C D. Sharpe - N. Carolina
C C. Bassey - W. Kentucky
I would be over the moon if we got Ayo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

How about Shareef Cooper, Moses Moody, Jaden Springer, Quentin Grimes, or Josh Christopher? Any chance any of those guys are still on the board at 38? Even the lower end G league guys like Daishen Nix and Isaiah Todd could be good second round finds.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1242 » by Pax for Prez » Fri May 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Am2626 wrote:
ThreeMileAllan wrote:
Pax for Prez wrote:
Players that look to be available from pick range 28-43 according to most mocks.

SG B. Boston - Kentucky
SG J. Primo - Alabama
SF H. Jones - Alabama
PF G. Brown - Texas

How about Shareef Cooper, Moses Moody, Jaden Springer, Quentin Grimes, or Josh Christopher? Any chance any of those guys are still on the board at 38? Even the lower end G league guys like Daishan Nix and Isaiah Todd could be good second round finds.

Probably Not expect for Grimes who is listed at # 63 on Espn best available. Todd is # 50 and Nix is #59 link is below.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1243 » by Pax for Prez » Fri May 28, 2021 5:38 pm

ThreeMileAllan wrote:
Pax for Prez wrote:
Salo23 wrote:Some good news.

We will have the option to swap our 2nd round pick (40th) with New Orleans (38th) as part of the Mirotic trade.

So we are currently projected to pick 38th overall. There should be some nice options in that range.

SG B. Boston - Kentucky
SG J. Primo - Alabama
SF H. Jones - Alabama
PF G. Brown - Texas

Not sure where Ayo will go espn has him at # 22 and BR latest mock has him going # 41
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#1244 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri May 28, 2021 6:06 pm

Am2626 wrote:
ThreeMileAllan wrote:
Pax for Prez wrote:

SG B. Boston - Kentucky
SG J. Primo - Alabama
SF H. Jones - Alabama
PF G. Brown - Texas

How about Shareef Cooper, Moses Moody, Jaden Springer, Quentin Grimes, or Josh Christopher? Any chance any of those guys are still on the board at 38? Even the lower end G league guys like Daishen Nix and Isaiah Todd could be good second round finds.

No, not really. Moody is a top 10 lock. Cooper and Springer have too much upside to slip to the 2nd round. Maybe Grimes and Christopher.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
petebraun0
Senior
And1: 210

Post#1245 » by petebraun0 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm

I think that we can get a very, very good pt guard in the 2nd round. Seems like a fair amount of
good pt guards were available in this past draft, like Maleodon, Mannion, Dotson, Tre Jones, Cassius Winston, Saben Lee, and more.
It seems like some fantastic pt guards drop far down in the draft owing to a lack of height. I say, if they can shoot, pass, ball handle, and have speed, they will be fine, will just struggle a tiny bit on the defensive end. Let's find somebody good. Ayo would be perfect, an Illinois guy staying in Illinois. It will be nice to see a new face or two next year, and hope that we got the steal of the draft. Maybe even Dotson will surprise us, if he makes the team.
How about Ayo or Ayayi?

SG B. Boston - Kentucky
SG J. Primo - Alabama
SF H. Jones - Alabama
PF G. Brown - Texas
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#1246 » by Almost Retired » Fri May 28, 2021 6:28 pm

AK....poach a few 2nd Round Picks from the Pelicans. They have 4 of them. They can't possibly want to draft 5 players in one draft. Think long term. There is good potential all the way through the mid second round. There will even be some guys that go undrafted that will be worth bringing in for evaluation. They might need a year or two of development but that's the modern draft where 18 and 19 year olds predominate. In our likely draft slot there are a few players that could help us right away: Joel Ayayi, Chris Duarte, Sharife Cooper and David Duke. And there are quite a few that have tremendous long term potential: Isaiah Todd, Juhann Begarin (a 6-5" combo guard with a reported 7-0" wingspan) and Ariel Hukporti to name a few.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#1247 » by StunnerKO » Fri May 28, 2021 8:19 pm

[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=21[/url]

[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=21[/url]
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#1248 » by HomoSapien » Sun May 30, 2021 1:43 am

Roko Prkacin has AK draft target written all over him:

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1249 » by HomoSapien » Sun May 30, 2021 1:54 am

Alperen Şengün also has a real AK vibe. My god, I know nothing about this kid but these moves are fantastic. Great feel for offense. Why isn't he projected to go in the 1st?

Edit: Upon reading about him, it appears as if he is now projected as a lottery pick. NBAdraft.net has him going in the second round. Man, I wish we were in a position to target him. Still, there look to be solid 2nd round options in this draft.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#1250 » by PlayerUp » Sun May 30, 2021 2:48 am

You have about as good of a chance at finding a gem in the G League than you do in the 2nd Round. Bulls haven't drafted a quality role player in the 2nd Round in a decade (Omer Asik). Don't put too much effort into worrying about who we take in the 2nd Round.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1251 » by GimmeDat » Sun May 30, 2021 5:05 am

PlayerUp wrote:You have about as good of a chance at finding a gem in the G League than you do in the 2nd Round. Bulls haven't drafted a quality role player in the 2nd Round in a decade (Omer Asik). Don't put too much effort into worrying about who we take in the 2nd Round.

Daniel Gafford was a very good pickup.

Good team's maximize the margins. Just because we haven't drafted a lot of difference makers in the 2nd round lately doesn't mean there isn't value to be found.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#1252 » by PlayerUp » Sun May 30, 2021 5:26 am

GimmeDat wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:You have about as good of a chance at finding a gem in the G League than you do in the 2nd Round. Bulls haven't drafted a quality role player in the 2nd Round in a decade (Omer Asik). Don't put too much effort into worrying about who we take in the 2nd Round.

Good team's maximize the margins. Just because we haven't drafted a lot of difference makers in the 2nd round lately doesn't mean there isn't value to be found.

Daniel Gaffords can be found in the G League.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1253 » by GimmeDat » Sun May 30, 2021 5:32 am

PlayerUp wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Once in a blue moon. Infinitely more G League guys go no where than 2nd rounders that stick.

Be dismissive of the value of 2nd rounders at your own peril, imo.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#1254 » by Dan Z » Sun May 30, 2021 6:12 am

GimmeDat wrote:

The Bulls also didn't have a 2nd round pick in 2018 and in 2017 sold their pick. They haven't had many chances to do much in that round.

2016 was Paul Zipser. He didn't do much, but he was the 48th pick so expectations weren't very high.

2015 no 2nd round pick. 2014 was Cameron Bairstow at 49.

It's difficult to do well in the 2nd round, but as you point out good teams figure out how to do it (which AK did with Denver).
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,514

Post#1255 » by DuckIII » Sun May 30, 2021 12:13 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Once in a blue moon. Infinitely more G League guys go no where than 2nd rounders that stick.

Teams should do their homework thoroughly and hope for the best. But as a fan there is nothing wrong with being dismissive of second round picks. Statistically they have virtually no value.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1256 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:19 pm

GimmeDat wrote:

Agree with you. Watching the playoffs, I was thinking about how things have changed recently and about how many 2nd round picks were having an impact in the playoff games I was watching. Guys like Dillon Brooks, Norman Powell, Jalen Brunson and of course Jokic really making an impact in some of these games I watched the last few days.

Be careful about being so dismissive about 2nd round picks.... especially at time when the damn league MVP this season is a freaking 2nd round pick! All you have to do is watch a few playoff games and start seeing guys like Powell, Middleton, Dillon Brooks and Jalen Brunson showing up big time in recent playoff games.

These are all recent 2nd rounders...

Nikola Jokic, Norman Powell, Kris Middleton, Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris, Jalen Brunson, Talen Horton Tucker, Malcolm Brodgon, Devonte Graham, Mitchell Robinson, Shake Melton, Montrezl Harrell, Richaun Holmes, Josh Richardson, Pat Connaughton, Hamido Diallo, Cedi Osman, Daniel Gafford, Eric Paschall
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1257 » by HomoSapien » Mon May 31, 2021 12:46 am

What does that matter? We have a new front office, new scouts, etc. I want as many opportunities as possible to see what this team can do with a second-round pick.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#1258 » by Almost Retired » Mon May 31, 2021 1:03 am

GimmeDat wrote:

Agreed. Especially in a Draft as potentially deep as this one. The pool of players available keeps expanding. You have College players, G League and foreign players. There will be G League players taken in the Lottery, and possibly some foreign players as well. I think Giddey from your neck of the woods will go late lottery. There are quite a few foreign players that night last into the second round: Prkacin, Belijenbergh, Ayayi, Sylia, Badji, Jokubaitis, Queta, Hukporti, Begarin. G Leaguers that should be available in the 2nd round: Todd and Nix. And plenty of College players with potential: Josh Christopher, RaiQuan Grey, Herb Jones, RJ Nembhard, Aaron Henry, David Duke,Isaiah Mobley, Max Abmas, Kofi Cockburn....I only wish AK could land us a couple of the Pelican's 2nd Round picks for "cash considerations."
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#1259 » by weneeda2guard » Mon May 31, 2021 2:08 am

"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1260 » by GimmeDat » Mon May 31, 2021 2:13 am

DuckIII wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:

Teams should do their homework thoroughly and hope for the best. But as a fan there is nothing wrong with being dismissive of second round picks. Statistically they have virtually no value.

I think a good example right now is Memphis. They've got great pieces like DeAnthony Melton (46), Desmond Bane (30), John Konchar (undrafted), Xavier Tillman (35) filling out their playoff rotation.

They also took smart punts on Jontay Porter (undrafted) and Killian Tillie (undrafted) who have legitimate upside.

Another good example is Denver. Monte Morris (51), obviously Jokic (41), Markus Howard (undrafted) etc. Same goes with Bol, maybe he's nothing, but a great upside swing in the 2nd round.

Raptors also built through valuing their deep picks with guys like Vanvleet and Normal Powell over the years who contributed to championship runs.

I get it.. in general, the 2nd round is a crap-shoot. I'm not suggesting we over glorify the value of 2nd's. But like with any asset, it's value is what you make it. If you're not good at drafting deep into the draft, then by all means, throw them away if it means benefit of some other kind.. but if you are a good front office, they can be really valuable, in the same way that being savvy bringing in guys internationally/G League/FA has its value (great example of that this season is the Rockets - took in KPJ for nothing, added Jae'Sean Tate and Cam Oliver from the NBL, etc.)

Creating a good team starts and ends with your core pieces. But if we're too dismissive of minor avenues, *like* but not exclusively the 2nd round, then you never know if you miss out on the next Jokic, or the next KPJ, etc., and at worst, savviness with your minor assets means you can fill out your depth effectively and cheaply.

Return to Chicago Bulls