Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread # 3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Re: NBA Trade Thread # 3 

Post#1901 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Any offensive big man must have a PG who can run and defend PnR. That's the most glaring need by a mile.

I think we're gonna see both a signing and a trade to address this. No way Coby's entering 21/22 season with Arci and Sato as his PG competition.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#1902 » by Chi town » Sat May 29, 2021 8:11 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Any offensive big man must have a PG who can run and defend PnR. That's the most glaring need by a mile.

I think we're gonna see both a signing and a trade to address this. No way Coby's entering 21/22 season with Arci and Sato as his PG competition.

Hence Lonzo.

Totally agree about PnR defense.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#1903 » by Andi Obst » Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 pm

Chi town wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Any offensive big man must have a PG who can run and defend PnR. That's the most glaring need by a mile.

Hence Lonzo.

The Lonzo fit is good on defense, but on offense he isn’t the answer. Running the PnR with a guy who doesn’t get to the rim doesn’t get you far.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#1904 » by Chi town » Sat May 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Hence Lonzo.

I think Lavine will be the PnR ball handler most of the time. Not Coby or Lonzo.

The Lonzo fit is good on defense, but on offense he isn’t the answer. Running the PnR with a guy who doesn’t get to the rim doesn’t get you far.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#1905 » by Am2626 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:32 pm

Chi town wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Chi town wrote:You’d have to think about trading the #1 for Morant.

Don’t know if Grizz would bite.

Why would the Grizzlies do that? No team is going to trade their franchise player especially one that has gotten his team into the playoffs this year.

In hindsight the Bulls probably should have traded Rose the second he tore his ACL but that was never going to happen. Morant isn’t even injured but my point is Franchise Players never get traded by their respective teams.

People are overthinking this. If the Bulls get a top 4 pick they keep it. It’s not realistic to get a good enough return for that pick.

I agree. Unless a player of Morant’s caliber is available.

Yeah but a player of that caliber won’t be available. It would also take LaVine in addition to the top 4 pick and that wouldn’t be worth it.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1906 » by gobullschi » Sun May 30, 2021 12:31 pm

Trade #1:

Houston Receives:
Eric Bledsoe, Al-Farouq Aminu, & Tomas Satoransky

Chicago Receives:
John Wall, Kenyon Martin Jr., #36, 2022 1st (BKN), & 2022 1st (LA)

New Orleans Receives:
Thaddeus Young & Ryan Arcidiacano

Trade #2:

Chicago Receives:
Chris Boucher & Rodney Hood

Toronto Receives:
Lauri Markkanen & 2022 1st (LA)

John Wall / Coby White / Devon Dotson
Zach LaVine / Troy Brown Jr. / Rodney Hood
Patrick Williams / Kenyon Martin Jr.
Chris Boucher / Trey Murphy III (#36) / JT Thor (#38)
Nikola Vucevic / Daniel Theis

+ 2 1sts in 2022 (BKN & CHI)
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#1907 » by Hugi Mancura » Sun May 30, 2021 2:00 pm

gobullschi wrote:
sco wrote:
gobullschi wrote:We know Nick Nurse is a big fan of Lauri Markkanen. What about Chris Boucher? He would be a great fit next to Nikola Vucevic.

Read on Twitter

Chicago:
Chris Boucher & Rodney Hood

Toronto:
Lauri Markkanen

Tomas Satoransky / Coby White
Zach LaVine / Troy Brown Jr.
Patrick Williams / Rodney Hood
Chris Boucher / Thaddeus Young
Nikola Vucevic / Daniel Theis

Don't they have the capspace to sign him outright and not give up Boucher, who is exactly the sort of guy you'd want next to him?

The Bulls could always match their offer.

I’m not sure what Toronto’s plan with Boucher is. With Lowry likely leaving, will they rebuild with a 28 year old Boucher? He will be a free agent after this season.

They have bird rights. VanVleet and Siakam are both 27, so they are on same age as Boucher. They probably don't want to give up on that trio yet, so keeping him would be age wise right move. So you could almost claim Lauri would be the odd man out age wise.

With Toronto I don't think Bulls matching matters so much. You could easily claim they have the C, PF and SF starting position players in Boucher, Siakam and OG, so even if they don't get Lauri they still would have front court covered. I think they would have bigger problems if they get Lauri, because then they would have to decide how to play them all together, but that is a positive problem to have.

Don't also know how much weight people should take from after game press conferences. Every team speaks highly on other teams players who just caught fire against them. In last 10 years I don't remember anyone saying that players sucks, but somehow against us he scored ton of points.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#1908 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 30, 2021 2:49 pm

I’m not sure Lauri even signs an offer sheet in TOR (er agrees to a S&T) unless the offer is incredible (100/4) or Siakam is coming back. I don’t see the point for TOR. Their forward rotation is (almost) everything we’d ever want. Why would they give up on that young collection of athletic two-way forwards to get our up-and-down downgrade? Not buying Nurse’s press conference, beyond him just complimenting Lauri on a good game.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#1909 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:35 pm

I don't want Lonzo Ball. If you are a PG with a talented team then your job is to control the pace and style of the game so you can win. That's what makes Chirs Paul an MVP candidate. That's what makes Morant better than Fox and Lamelo better than Lonzo. Lonzo's team was loaded, relatively healthy, and they played their roles

Ball/Lewis
Bledsoe/NAW
Ingram/Hart
Zion/JJ
Adms/Hayes

Everyone played relatively well based in what you'd expect and Lonzo had a surprisingly good shooting year. But the problem is that he didn't control the offense. He's just not a floor general, which is what we're missing. There's no point in getting him. Yes a better passed and defender than White, but he's not a real PG like we need.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#1910 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:43 pm

John Collins may get the max. The hawks need a backup pg and presumably would also want a starting PF who can shoot. Lauri and White for Collins.

Our starting lineup becomes more athletic, better at protecting the rim, and gets more 3pt shooting (Collins>Young for shooting). Collins plays extremely well off the ball, so assuming we get a true PG, he won't take touches from LaVine and Vuc. He'd probably have the ball in his hands less than Young.
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#1911 » by Darius Miles Davis » Sun May 30, 2021 5:03 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:I don't want Lonzo Ball. If you are a PG with a talented team then your job is to control the pace and style of the game so you can win. That's what makes Chirs Paul an MVP candidate. That's what makes Morant better than Fox and Lamelo better than Lonzo. Lonzo's team was loaded, relatively healthy, and they played their roles

Ball/Lewis
Bledsoe/NAW
Ingram/Hart
Zion/JJ
Adms/Hayes

Everyone played relatively well based in what you'd expect and Lonzo had a surprisingly good shooting year. But the problem is that he didn't control the offense. He's just not a floor general, which is what we're missing. There's no point in getting him. Yes a better passed and defender than White, but he's not a real PG like we need.

I'm not sure a floor general is what we need. I think for the most part, we are going to run the offense through Lavine and Vuc. So what kind of a pg do you need next to them? A quick ball mover who makes good decisions, can make open 3s, and plays really good defense against guards and wings. This offseason, that player is Lonzo. Some other players who fit the description around the league are Brogdon and Haliburton.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#1912 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:11 pm

Darius Miles Davis wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:I don't want Lonzo Ball. If you are a PG with a talented team then your job is to control the pace and style of the game so you can win. That's what makes Chirs Paul an MVP candidate. That's what makes Morant better than Fox and Lamelo better than Lonzo. Lonzo's team was loaded, relatively healthy, and they played their roles

Ball/Lewis
Bledsoe/NAW
Ingram/Hart
Zion/JJ
Adms/Hayes

I'm not sure a floor general is what we need. I think for the most part, we are going to run the offense through Lavine and Vuc. So what kind of a pg do you need next to them? A quick ball mover who makes good decisions, can make open 3s, and plays really good defense against guards and wings. This offseason, that player is Lonzo. Some other players who fit the description around the league are Brogdon and Haliburton.

LaVine and Vucevic combined are about as good at creating offense for others as Ingram and Zion. The Pelicans had Ball, no real floor general, and they sucked. We didn't have a floor general. We sucked. We need a floor general, not a 3 and D PG.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1913 » by gobullschi » Sun May 30, 2021 8:53 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
sco wrote:Don't they have the capspace to sign him outright and not give up Boucher, who is exactly the sort of guy you'd want next to him?

The Bulls could always match their offer.

I’m not sure what Toronto’s plan with Boucher is. With Lowry likely leaving, will they rebuild with a 28 year old Boucher? He will be a free agent after this season.

They have bird rights. VanVleet and Siakam are both 27, so they are on same age as Boucher. They probably don't want to give up on that trio yet, so keeping him would be age wise right move. So you could almost claim Lauri would be the odd man out age wise.

With Toronto I don't think Bulls matching matters so much. You could easily claim they have the C, PF and SF starting position players in Boucher, Siakam and OG, so even if they don't get Lauri they still would have front court covered. I think they would have bigger problems if they get Lauri, because then they would have to decide how to play them all together, but that is a positive problem to have.

Don't also know how much weight people should take from after game press conferences. Every team speaks highly on other teams players who just caught fire against them. In last 10 years I don't remember anyone saying that players sucks, but somehow against us he scored ton of points.

They only won 27 games with that trio and it included Kyle Lowry, who will be gone next season. Boucher is due a new contract after next season, so they might want to make a shift towards offense (Markkanen). Either way, some big decisions need to be made in Toronto.

As far as post game press conferences, I agree, most of the time a coach is going to praise the talent on the other team. Nurse seemed to take it a step more that usual (IMO), but it could be nothing.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#1914 » by patryk7754 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:41 pm

I think there are some intriguing options for PF/C.

1. Kevin Love: This would be a salary dump for the cavs so I would only consider it if we get a 1st rounder in return. Also, this would probably be the last step in my offseason process. Sign the FAs I want, first attempt to trade for better players, and then trade for love if nothing better happens.

2. Sabonis: it's inevitable that his contract becomes too expensive for the Pacers. Young, White, and a 1st is the foundation I would offer for him plus a couple of small pieces if needed.

3. Christian Woods: Crazier things have happened than a break-out player being traded. They could view white and Young as two future starters in exchange for one on top of a 1st.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#1915 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 9:31 am

Jstock12 wrote:If I'm Karnisovas this summer, I'm going to try and acquire the rights to the best point guard in the Euroleague - Vasilije Micic, who's currenty 27 yo and in his prime. His rights currently belong to OKC, but given that Micic's age doesn't really fit their timeline and because they have a million of picks and only so many available roster spots, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Big body for a point-guard (6'6), strong, pretty athletic, above average defender, great court vision and playmaking. He stated he doesn't want to come to the NBA just to be a part of the roster, but wants to go to a winning team and have a role in it. He wants to win.

Over 2 months have gone by since this post of mine, so I just wanted to follow up and mention that Vasilije Micic has just become the Euroleague MVP over Mirotic, the Final Four MVP, and the Euroleague champion. There's no doubt in my mind that he can be a good starting PG on a bad-to-average NBA team, and a very solid backup PG on a playoff team.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#1916 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Jun 1, 2021 10:18 am

Chi town wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Chi town wrote:You’d have to think about trading the #1 for Morant.

Don’t know if Grizz would bite.

Why would the Grizzlies do that? No team is going to trade their franchise player especially one that has gotten his team into the playoffs this year.

In hindsight the Bulls probably should have traded Rose the second he tore his ACL but that was never going to happen. Morant isn’t even injured but my point is Franchise Players never get traded by their respective teams.

People are overthinking this. If the Bulls get a top 4 pick they keep it. It’s not realistic to get a good enough return for that pick.

I agree. Unless a player of Morant’s caliber is available.

There is no way to know if any of these prospects will be as good as Morant. Morant could literally be the best point guard in the NBA in a couple years. He has proven he isn’t a bust and should only get better. There is no chance in Memphis would trade him for someone that might be as good. GM would get fired before they could close the deal.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#1917 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Jun 1, 2021 10:22 am

patryk7754 wrote:I think there are some intriguing options for PF/C.

1. Kevin Love: This would be a salary dump for the cavs so I would only consider it if we get a 1st rounder in return. Also, this would probably be the last step in my offseason process. Sign the FAs I want, first attempt to trade for better players, and then trade for love if nothing better happens.

2. Sabonis: it's inevitable that his contract becomes too expensive for the Pacers. Young, White, and a 1st is the foundation I would offer for him plus a couple of small pieces if needed.

3. Christian Woods: Crazier things have happened than a break-out player being traded. They could view white and Young as two future starters in exchange for one on top of a 1st.

Love literally plays no defense so why would get him and let Markkanen walk.

2. We can’t trade any first round pick until 2025. I doubt the Pacers go for that.

No one views Thaddeus Young as a future starter and no one is giving up a young all-star caliber player for him. This isn’t realistic at all. None of it.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#1918 » by Am2626 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:21 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:I think there are some intriguing options for PF/C.

Love literally plays no defense so why would get him and let Markkanen walk.

2. We can’t trade any first round pick until 2025. I doubt the Pacers go for that.

No one views Thaddeus Young as a future starter and no one is giving up a young all-star caliber player for him. This isn’t realistic at all. None of it.

Love is also old and well past his prime. Don’t see how he helps the Bulls in any way next year. Also Houston is not trading away a rising young player for lesser talent which is what is being proposed.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#1919 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:01 pm

patryk7754 wrote:2. Sabonis: it's inevitable that his contract becomes too expensive for the Pacers. Young, White, and a 1st is the foundation I would offer for him plus a couple of small pieces if needed.

I don't know why, but for some reason when I read that second sentence, for a second I thought you were advocating for Sabonis because he's young and white lol.

It's interesting, because AK has a very close relationship with Sabonis Sr and probably knew Sabonis Jr since he was a little kid.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#1920 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:34 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:2. Sabonis: it's inevitable that his contract becomes too expensive for the Pacers. Young, White, and a 1st is the foundation I would offer for him plus a couple of small pieces if needed.

I don't know why, but for some reason when I read that second sentence, for a second I thought you were advocating for Sabonis because he's young and white lol.

It's interesting, because AK has a very close relationship with Sabonis Sr and probably knew Sabonis Jr since he was a little kid.

what's even funnier is that I was going to say that maybe the Pacers decide to keep him for those reasons lol

Return to Chicago Bulls