ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA II

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Re: Around the NBA II 

Post#1761 » by NickP » Thu May 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Max Headrom wrote:I hope the reffing at the end of the Lakers vs Warriors game is a reminder as to why you'd be crazy to want to play them in the first round...

We were going to finish 3rd or 4th at best. Lakers 7th or 8th. Why would be playing or avoiding them in the first round? Our first round was always Dallas or Portland
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#1762 » by Max Headrom » Thu May 20, 2021 7:15 pm

NickP wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:I hope the reffing at the end of the Lakers vs Warriors game is a reminder as to why you'd be crazy to want to play them in the first round...

We were going to finish 3rd or 4th at best. Lakers 7th or 8th. Why would be playing or avoiding them in the first round? Our first round was always Dallas or Portland

I mean, we still have people believing we tanked to avoid them in the first round :lol: :lol:
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#1763 » by NickP » Thu May 20, 2021 8:09 pm

Max Headrom wrote:
NickP wrote:

I mean, we still have people believing we tanked to avoid them in the first round :lol: :lol:

Lol ok. Must have been a pretty long and thought out tank then. :lol:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#1764 » by og15 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:31 pm

NickP wrote:

Lakers had a chance at 6th if Portland had lost the last game of the season to Denver. The Portland game was decided early though, before the Clippers game ended, they were now certain winning would give them Portland, but they still went with he Oturu plan :lol:
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#1765 » by TrueLAfan » Thu May 20, 2021 9:44 pm

I guess it depends on how you define “tank.”

Did the Clippers do their best to win? Absolutely not. Did they have an ulterior motive in making a lesser effort toward victory? Absolutely. In that sense—we absolutely tanked.

The question is what was their motive? I’ve said it repeatedly; I think we wanted to be rested, and didn’t feel the effort to win the games would’ve been worth playing tired players more. We were never going to play full lineups in the final 1-2 games; everyone rests players in one or more games at the end pf the year. So the “build chemistry” idea doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. That leaves one of two possibilities—we did it to avoid a specific matchup, or we genuinely wanted to rest players.

Since we had and have little to no impact on what other coaches and teams choose to do, you couldn’t really have the foresight to know what would happen if you lost one or both of the final games. I personally don’t buy into the matchup idea. A friend last week was excitedly explaining how “if the Clippers win against the Rockets, and then Portland beats Denver, assuming Denver wins against the Pistons, then all the Lakers have to do is win one of their final … and the Clippers control it by beating OKC, because …” and I just kind of mentally took a nap. Not because it was overcomplicated—even though it obviously was—but because … well, come on. The simplest answer is usually the best answer. I think the Clippers wanted to rest their big guns and Marcus, Batum, and Zu. It’s the easiest explanation. Not sexy, not exciting, doesn't fit in with some people's narrative of the team, but it's the simplest rationale.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#1766 » by NippySudz » Sat May 22, 2021 9:01 am

Read on Twitter

lol and he's going to get away with it.

I doubt LeBron is stupid enough to go to a party without checks and balances in place and it sound like he did take the extra precaution needed, but something tells me this dude isn't vaccinated. I wonder if players on our team are too. It would suck if a key player didn't get the vaccine and had to miss a series because of vaccine hesistancy
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#1767 » by TrueLAfan » Sun May 23, 2021 11:18 pm

Mmm. Looks like the other LA team is having its own set of struggles. LeBron looks injured; Davis looks ... bad.

Tobias Harris, OTOH, came in ready to play--even if he did play extra minutes with the bench squad.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#1768 » by NippySudz » Mon May 24, 2021 2:10 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Mmm. Looks like the other LA team is having its own set of struggles. LeBron looks injured; Davis looks ... bad.

Tobias Harris, OTOH, came in ready to play--even if he did play extra minutes with the bench squad.

This season is crazy. I have no idea who's going to win the nba finals. I hope its the clippers for my sake, but imagine if Lebron is not in the finals or the clippers and we get something like bucks - Jazz.

Oof.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1769 » by og15 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:16 am

Our former boy CP3 just doesn't have those Lebron genes and can't shake the injury bug. It's always at the worst times for this guy too. Doesn't get injured with OKC when the team is going nowhere, or the season when Houston isn't the same level of contender. But when Houston is a contender, injured. When Warriors were weakened by injury, and Clippers could have caught them in the 2nd round in 2016, him and Blake injured. Early lob city in 2012 wouldn't have beat the Spurs, but could have at least played a better series, injured at end of Memphis series. Suns #2 seed, in a position to take out a generally strong Lakers team that is currently trying to get back to form, injured.

Let's see if this one is serious or not, in 6 years with LAC, he didn't have as many mishandle, turnovers/almost turnovers while dribbling with his right hand as he had in the stretch after his injury, it was very odd to watch.

Would be real nice if the Suns took out the Lakers, though I actually would really love for the Clippers to play well, win their first two matchups and beat the Lakers.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#1770 » by Max Headrom » Tue May 25, 2021 2:56 am

Soooooooo, is Jimmy still better than PG?? 8-)
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#1771 » by esqtvd » Thu May 27, 2021 5:45 am

Max Headrom wrote:Soooooooo, is Jimmy still better than PG?? 8-)

Early this season, Butler criticized his teammates for “not playing hard.” Last month, he implored Bam Adebayo to “attack the rim” and “play bully ball.” (Adebayo’s underwhelming performance is a discussion for another day.) Has Butler decided — as some think LeBron did in 2014 — that he just doesn’t have enough help?
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1772 » by og15 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Lol, Austin Rivers out there helping Denver win playoff games. Played the whole quarter, and 16 pts, 3 rebs, 1ast, 5/6 FG, 4/5 3PT, 2/2 FT in the 4th.

Denver outside of Rivers was 6/17.

Would be nice for the Clippers to have some role players step up in these playoffs, we'll see...
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#1773 » by esqtvd » Fri May 28, 2021 8:18 pm

og15 wrote:Lol, Austin Rivers out there helping Denver win playoff games. Played the whole quarter, and 16 pts, 3 rebs, 1ast, 5/6 FG, 4/5 3PT, 2/2 FT in the 4th.

Denver outside of Rivers was 6/17.

Would be nice for the Clippers to have some role players step up in these playoffs, we'll see...

I didn't even bring up his 9th life, things being what they are around here with the mention of anything Rivers. :lol:

I think Austin never really loved the game and had trouble transitioning mentally from a lottery pick to journeyman. He's made almost $50 million in an undistinguished career, and then I think he had the heart torn out of him when he dumped him just as he was finding his feet in the league [15/2/4]. That he's not a very likeable fellow only added to his difficulties in finding a place in the NBA.

This isn't to say he's back. He's has a habit of fading away after a quick start at his various stops, but at the moment he's perfectly adequate playoff rotation guy, which is no small feat.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#1774 » by MartinToVaught » Sun May 30, 2021 12:14 am

After one fluke quarter of looking like an actual NBA player, Austin was back to his usual terrible play today in a blowout loss. Only 8 points, -28 in 24 minutes. I'm thinking this time next year, he'll be winning Sixth Man of the Year for the Shanghai Sharks.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1775 » by og15 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:02 am

Heat vs Bucks: Bryn Forbes just outscored Jimmy Butler in the series on the way to a Bucks sweep of the Heat, yikes!

Washington vs Philly: Westbrook and the playoffs just aren't friends either. He'll always put up numbers, but the playoffs tend to be tough for him. Zero expectation for them to win the series, but they might get swept. Averaged 13/6/13 with 5 turnovers and 33% FG in the first two games. Today he's 22/11/9, but not looking like it's going to be enough.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1776 » by og15 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:05 am

MartinToVaught wrote:After one fluke quarter of looking like an actual NBA player, Austin was back to his usual terrible play today in a blowout loss. Only 8 points, -28 in 24 minutes. I'm thinking this time next year, he'll be winning Sixth Man of the Year for the Shanghai Sharks.

Well Austin Rivers is a 10th man, lol what were you expecting? It's news when a 10th man helps a team win a game and goes bananas in the 4th quarter. It's not news when a 10th man plays like a 10th man :lol:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#1777 » by MartinToVaught » Sun May 30, 2021 4:41 am

og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:After one fluke quarter of looking like an actual NBA player, Austin was back to his usual terrible play today in a blowout loss. Only 8 points, -28 in 24 minutes. I'm thinking this time next year, he'll be winning Sixth Man of the Year for the Shanghai Sharks.

Well Austin Rivers is a 10th man, lol what were you expecting? It's news when a 10th man helps a team win a game and goes bananas in the 4th quarter. It's not news when a 10th man plays like a 10th man :lol:

I've never expected anything from Austin. It's certain others who love hyping him up for the sake of some weird agenda.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1778 » by og15 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:39 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
og15 wrote:

I've never expected anything from Austin. It's certain others who love hyping him up for the sake of some weird agenda.

Haha, you guys and this Austin Rivers feud. He's neither as bad as you say and not nearly as good or useful an NBA player as esqtvd suggests.

Anyways,

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Harrell has not had much favor for LAL in this matchup, might not be happy.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#1779 » by LamarWho » Sun May 30, 2021 10:22 pm

AD on the shelf again with a groin injury. This series is getting more interesting now. Benedict still not getting much love from Vogel.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#1780 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 8:01 am

The Jazz are the ultimate pretenders. If we do manage to win this series, it should not be very difficult beating them.

The Suns and Lakers are both wayyy different stories.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers