ImageImageImageImageImage

ROUND 1, GAME 4: Clippers @ Mavs Sunday 6:30PM PDT on ESPN

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 4: Clippers @ Mavs Sunday 6:30PM PDT on ESPN 

Post#141 » by NippySudz » Mon May 31, 2021 5:06 am

Scoundreldays wrote:Thank you Clippers for giving me some ammo against my Mavericks Fan GF after all the flack she gave me after going down 0-2.

The last time Kawhi was down 0-2

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#142 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon May 31, 2021 5:08 am

That Boban-KP lineup felt like a desperation move that hasn't worked out for Carlisle. They will definitely better than this but boy they don't have an answer on D. Carlisle will be sweating more right now.

Unless Luka pulls another magic performance it's hard to see them getting another win. That shoulder-neck pain of him makes this even harder to pull.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#143 » by NippySudz » Mon May 31, 2021 5:08 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:That Boban-KP lineup felt like a desperation move that hasn't worked out for Carlisle. They will definitely better than this but boy they don't have an answer on D. Carlisle will be sweating more right now.

Unless Luka pulls another magic performance it's hard to see them getting another win. That shoulder-neck pain of him makes this even harder to pull.

They have no answer to contain dribble penetration. Like PG said, they don't have a shot blocker.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#144 » by Clemenza » Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 am

We're Back!!! We're f*cking Back!!
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#145 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon May 31, 2021 5:11 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:I called it in the last game thread on the GB that once Dallas stop shooting with all the sliders turned up, they'd get blown out

Dallas didn't stop doing anything.

The Clippers have defended them well for the last 6 quarters at this point. The first 2 games were not luck and shooting with the "sliders turned up". It was poor defense.

definitely- you can see they are busting their asses on defense now. They were clearly gassed in the 3rd quarter, but thankfully played smart enough to maintain the lead.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#146 » by esqtvd » Mon May 31, 2021 5:21 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:I called it in the last game thread on the GB that once Dallas stop shooting with all the sliders turned up, they'd get blown out

The Clippers have defended them well for the last 6 quarters at this point. The first 2 games were not luck and shooting with the "sliders turned up". It was poor defense.

OTOH the best defense is a good offense, and the best defense is making them start every possession by pulling the ball out of THEIR OWN BASKET after we shoved it down their throat. :wink:

We played downhill tonight--it's always a question of who's on their toes and who's on their heels, front foot or back foot.

Frankly, in today's NBA I don't think ANY defense can put the other guys on their heels. These guys are a bleh defensive team and so is their best player. THAT'S how to beat them.

Utah might be a different story but let's get there first...
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#147 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 am

Good evening!

I for one was stunned to see many thrown in the towel after game 2. There was plenty of promise and we have totally seen it after some major coaching adjustments.

Kawhi has been phenomenal. The best player in the NBA by far. Terrence Mann as said has been an absolute revelation. And PG has played up to his contract finally (despite some still questionable shot selection "I'll do it myself" as usual)! The best part of PG's game has been him driving to the rim drawing contact, something we didn't see whatsoever in the RS.

As long as we continue to not play Zu we are in fantastic shape. Batum has been amazing and Morris finally got it going last game.

For Esq Mr. "Plus Minus" himself I have a fantastic stat ;) from the Clippers broadcast:
team leader in +/- this series as of 3 games:

+27 Rondo
+ 21 Mann
+ 20 Batum

+ 12 Reggie

Terrence Mann must CONTINUE to get even MORE minutes as the playoffs go on. Thank god Lue finally benched washed up Bev. He is absolutely not needed.

I am glad we do not have Porzingis who is one of the worst max players in the league currently. Ever since Lue put in TMann and Rondo (?) in the last game mid 1st quarter I have had virtually zero complaints about how we've played as a team. We are BACK!
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#148 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 5:48 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
LamarWho wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:zubac has no post moves. Pathetic for the number of years he has been in the league.He can only play when Bo comes in the game.

Have u seen Rudy Gobert, Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond trying to score in the low post? Oh those guys are/were all stars.

Zu's also 24 years old, it's not like he's 30. He still has plenty of time to develop as a player. Just because this series is a bad matchup for him doesn't mean we need to start dumping on him.

Great, hopefully we can pitch that when he's on the trade block this off season.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#149 » by esqtvd » Mon May 31, 2021 5:50 am

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
LamarWho wrote:Boogie can't even get in during garbage time.

we're not that desperate...yet

hell Zubac can barely get on the floor and at least he knows the playbook

It didn’t feel like it but seems like they were able to get 18 mins tonight and that’s with fouling out.
I’m sure the Mavs will try to use Boban again

I'm feeling Rambis, and Landsberger before him--change of philosophy

Coach says go as hard as you can as long as you can, and even fouling out is no disgrace
this team cannot win without a SENSE OF URGENCY--this game is won ON THE FLOOR, with intensity and athleticism

18 minutes of Zu going gonzo is better than 30 minutes of playing soft
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#150 » by esqtvd » Mon May 31, 2021 5:54 am

NippySudz wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:That Boban-KP lineup felt like a desperation move that hasn't worked out for Carlisle. They will definitely better than this but boy they don't have an answer on D. Carlisle will be sweating more right now.

They have no answer to contain dribble penetration. Like PG said, they don't have a shot blocker.

Exactly!! Play downhill. Titles are won at the hoop and at the line.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#151 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 5:57 am

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
we're not that desperate...yet

hell Zubac can barely get on the floor and at least he knows the playbook

It didn’t feel like it but seems like they were able to get 18 mins tonight and that’s with fouling out.
I’m sure the Mavs will try to use Boban again

I'm feeling Rambis, and Landsberger before him--change of philosophy

Coach says go as hard as you can as long as you can, and even fouling out is no disgrace
this team cannot win without a SENSE OF URGENCY--this game is won ON THE FLOOR, with intensity and athleticism

18 minutes of Zu going gonzo is better than 30 minutes of playing soft

Zu continues to have absolutely no hands and does nothing but foul. He should be getting 8-10 minutes at most. Boban is so similar to Zu in terms of his horrendous offensive play we don't need another "big" in order to neutralize him.

And speaking of good coaching decisions: I'm glad you finally woke up re: Bev and TMann. Without Terrence Mann we would absolutely not be tied in the series.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#152 » by Max Headrom » Mon May 31, 2021 6:36 am

Underrated match up. Kawhi being on Porzingis eliminates the Luka and Porzingis pick and roll because he tries to run a pick play with Porzingis, Kawhi is on the switch and is now guarding Luka, which we all know that's a match up he doesn't like
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#153 » by NickP » Mon May 31, 2021 7:13 am

esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

OTOH the best defense is a good offense, and the best defense is making them start every possession by pulling the ball out of THEIR OWN BASKET after we shoved it down their throat. :wink:

We played downhill tonight--it's always a question of who's on their toes and who's on their heels, front foot or back foot.

Frankly, in today's NBA I don't think ANY defense can put the other guys on their heels. These guys are a bleh defensive team and so is their best player. THAT'S how to beat them.

Utah might be a different story but let's get there first...

We've been saying it bro. We go to war with who we have. So both teams have won a few battles each. Time to win the war now. I hope they come out with the same energy in game 5 and put the hammer down early and finish this team off in 6. You do not want a game 7 with these guys.
Well done Clippers. Great win.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#154 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 7:47 am

We also wouldn't be tiring ourselves out for 6-7 games had we just not thrown the last 2 games of the RS (for a series that looks like it won't even happen with how the Suns are playing) and could have easily beat the Trailblazers in 4-5 games. This is ROUND 1.

If we somehow lose in round 2 bc of "gassing out" similarly to last year we know exactly the reason why..
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#155 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 31, 2021 2:05 pm

Anyone still whining about how "easy" the Blazers would have been isn't watching them play.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#156 » by Quake Griffin » Mon May 31, 2021 3:36 pm

og15 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

When wide open, Dallas only shot 37.0% 3PT over the whole season. When just open, they shot 36.9%, basically no difference, as long as it was open or better, they shot 37% 3PT. First three games they shot 50.5% 3PT, Hardaway shot 65% 3PT. Bad defense alone does not account for that.

They were 5/12 (41.7%) on tightly contested three's (regular season 29.7%), and made 2-2 of their very tightly contested three's. Overall on more contested three's, which most teams try to avoid (only 5 teams had higher than 5.6% of their 3PA's as tightly contested), they were 7/14 over the first three games. A lot of bad defense is played around the league and opponents don't carve that up with 50%+ 3PT shooting.

They were 5/30 tonight. Not only did they stink it up, this is the least amount of attempts they've made in the series (36,34,and 39 before tonight).

That was defense.

Plus, while it may not be all poor defense that got them those numbers, those numbers are nearly impossible to hit without poor defense and without having mostly open, in rhythm looks. I doubt anybody believes if we went small and with the lineups we have now, they would have shot the way they did in Los Angeles

Further, I want to know what threes they are calling tightly contested in this series. Zub on Luka gets a hand up but it's clear it's not a real contest and doesn't bother Luka any. If those are going in as contests, I've got an objection to that. If there is any disagreement with that, then how about the person disagreeing go back to our game plans from Game 1, 2 and the start of Game 3 and let's make a bet on whether Luka gets hot from DT again when we switch Zub onto him.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

No Finger Wags 

Post#157 » by Quake Griffin » Mon May 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Best part of last night, 0 stupid finger wags running down the court.

;t=83s
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#158 » by Clemenza » Mon May 31, 2021 5:11 pm

Great adjustments from Ty Lue. Only negative is that he should've made them for game 2 but we're back in it. Now this is the Kawhi I've been waiting to see. Absolutely stellar every game. PG has been the perfect #2 so far. Both of these guys have to keep attacking the paint and we should close them out. Batum has been great. Morris is back hitting shots. Rondo, Mann, Reggie have been good. Somebody in the series thread in the General Board made a good point about Zu.. he doesn't lift weights. He has the same body as when he was drafted. He's got to hit the weight room in the off season if he's serious about making some type of leap in his game. I think Pat Bev is almost done as a player.

And to think we were down 0-2 and down 19 in the first quarter of game 3 to now tying it all up. Lets hit 'em hard on Wednesday
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#159 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 6:13 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Anyone still whining about how "easy" the Blazers would have been isn't watching them play.

It's called matchups Martin. The Nuggets like the Jazz are pretenders especially with the injuries and we've seen all season how easily we can shut down Dame. I went over it previously before the series stared, we struggled against the Mavs constantly throughout the season including shooting some of our lowest 3pt FG% against them in games. Guess it fell on unmoved ears..

And if you still think Zu somehow is a benefit to this team against the Mavs, you have't been watching them play.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#160 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 6:27 pm

Clemenza wrote:Great adjustments from Ty Lue. Only negative is that he should've made them for game 2 but we're back in it. Now this is the Kawhi I've been waiting to see. Absolutely stellar every game. PG has been the perfect #2 so far. Both of these guys have to keep attacking the paint and we should close them out. Batum has been great. Morris is back hitting shots. Rondo, Mann, Reggie have been good. Somebody in the series thread in the General Board made a good point about Zu.. he doesn't lift weights. He has the same body as when he was drafted. He's got to hit the weight room in the off season if he's serious about making some type of leap in his game. I think Pat Bev is almost done as a player.

And to think we were down 0-2 and down 19 in the first quarter of game 3 to now tying it all up. Lets hit 'em hard on Wednesday

Kawhi speaks for itself. Best player in the league and does it on both ends. no surprise since we started having him guard Luka he's been shut down, something no other clipper could do.

This PG would have been on an all NBA team if he attacked the basket like this during the season. He still had a few head scratching low IQ "get out of the way I'll do it myself" plays as usual, but his playmaking usage has been significantly cut down much to the benefit of the team. I think Ty Lue just flat out told him how he was playing was hurting the team (finally) and he was forced to agree.

Batum was one of the main reasons we won. I worry they'll find ways to exploit him in the next game, but if they can't the series is over.

Zu just hasn't done anything even close to average going back to last season. We've seen who he is, and more than weight he needs to work on his hands. The amount of times he gets the easiest of baskets that just slip right through his fingers leading to turnovers is crazy. Absolutely unplayable and all the fans clamoring for an upgraded role last season see now the issue. If we win the series and play against Gobert and the Jazz he needs to drastically step it up or it'll be another 2nd round exit. Just average will do but with Zu he's looking more unplayable by the second.

The Rondo Mann lineup is one of my favorites. Amazing Ty Lue couldn't see what a select few of us easily saw int he 2nd half of the season. The Mann does it all! Bev as stated multiple times going into the postseason in threads is simply a role player now and can barely contribute a third of what Mann does on a minute to minute basis.

Glad to be proven right!

Return to Los Angeles Clippers