ImageImageImageImageImage

James Wiseman admits mental struggles...

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#1 » by Old_Blue » Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 pm

I'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-admits-mental-struggles-164425920.html

"It's kind of hard, I was really down," Wiseman said in his latest video diary for The Undefeated. "I can say that I was crying a lot. Yeah, it was bad. My mom had to actually tell me everything was gonna be all right."
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#2 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon May 31, 2021 6:52 pm

James Wiseman seems to be a very sensitive kid, which probably makes him a very likable person for people around him, but could also have downsides in his development if he's too mentally weak. He looks soft as f**k tbh.
I hope he gets it together and comes back stronger.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#3 » by Frozzy » Mon May 31, 2021 6:55 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:James Wiseman seems to be a very sensitive kid, which probably makes him a very likable person for people around him, but could also have downsides in his development if he's too mentally weak. He looks soft as f**k tbh.
I hope he gets it together and comes back stronger.

My thoughts too... He reminds me of Harrison Barnes.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#4 » by mos_def » Mon May 31, 2021 7:12 pm

If you probably had Draymond screaming at you on assignments and the best player on the world on your team, I bet a majority of people would crumble
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#5 » by marthafokker » Mon May 31, 2021 7:20 pm

The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

Tell him to develop strength this off season. His job a super version of JavVale McGee. Then build around everything that McGee wasn't a little at a time.

Too much expectations for himself will cause some kids to fail. He is not a LeBron or Curry type. He need to be directed.

I hope the coaching staff has already giving him off season instructions already. I guess I am asking too much with coaching record of rookie development on this team.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#6 » by mos_def » Mon May 31, 2021 7:33 pm

marthafokker wrote:The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

Tell him to develop strength this off season. His job a super version of JavVale McGee. Then build around everything that McGee wasn't a little at a time.

Too much expectations for himself will cause some kids to fail. He is not a LeBron or Curry type. He need to be directed.

I hope the coaching staff has already giving him off season instructions already. I guess I am asking too much with coaching record of rookie development on this team.

That being said, he was also the #2 pick.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#7 » by a8bil » Mon May 31, 2021 7:53 pm

mos_def wrote:
marthafokker wrote:The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

What can that possibly mean other than to ignore that he is human, inexperienced and prone to getting down on himself? Having been taken #2 will change none of these attributes.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#8 » by hamncheese » Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm

a8bil wrote:
mos_def wrote:

What can that possibly mean other than to ignore that he is human, inexperienced and prone to getting down on himself? Having been taken #2 will change none of these attributes.

I thought the comment about Wiseman being #2 was about judging the coaching staff's record in development since they haven't worked with anyone with the talent level of high draft pick.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#9 » by Old_Blue » Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 pm

"I just love the game of basketball so much that I couldn't even fathom not playing with my teammates," Wiseman said. "That kind of took a lot out of me."

Isn't this is the same kid who quit on his Memphis squad after being reinstated following his NCAA suspension?
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#10 » by a8bil » Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 pm

hamncheese wrote:
a8bil wrote:
mos_def wrote:

I thought the comment about Wiseman being #2 was about judging the coaching staff's record in development since they haven't worked with anyone with the talent level of high draft pick.
I didn't, but if you're right, it still doesn't change that this is basically a high school player with little experience, trying to fit in on team that expects high levels of coordination on offense and more importantly on defense. don't forget that last year's draft was considered one of the weaker drafts in recent history. If Wiseman came in this year, he might not make top 5. Still, look at his per 36 #s...19.3/9.7 compared to the 1st year of other bigs who recently came in the league:

Ayton -- 19.1/12
Porzingis -- 18.1/9.3.
Domantas -- 10.6/6.4
Allen -- 8.2/5.4
Adebayo -- 12.6/10
Carter -- 14.8/10

So, nothing to worry about at this point. Wiseman needs to better understand his role and execute better on team defense. There is certainly nothing to be wagging a finger at coaching about at this stage. Give him a full offseason working out and training with the team and let's see how he progresses.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 pm

Saw something mid-season with Jarron Collins who was glowing about how much Green loved Wiseman and that he was working with him so well. Post game interviews with Green were all supportive of Wiseman that I saw.

Klay cried a bunch as a rookie too. Klay would shutdown mid-game if he missed a shot or had a turnover. It took him a while to overcome his own expectations let alone the expectations of fans. Klay also talked about the emotional hardship of injuries being far worse than the physical stuff.

Every rookie coming in to a winning team with all-nba players are going to be under more pressure to live up to the team. Pretty much all rookies struggle on teams that have contending for title standards. Add to that that he's essentially a high school player with no offseason.

Wiseman still gets 2 years before he can be really evaluated, he just needs to show progress this year.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,106

Post#12 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:56 pm

I wonder how Old Blue was mentally at 19 years old.

Everything he posts is anti-Wiseman.
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#13 » by Old_Blue » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:38 am

It appears to be a self esteem/confidence issue. Again, I feel sorry for the kid.

https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news-james-wiseman-admits-to-needing-confidence-boosters-from-dubs-in-tough-rookie-campaign/

"Golden State Warriors rookie center James Wiseman readily acknowledged he needed members of the organization to remind him of his talent."
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#14 » by cdubbz » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:26 am

Old_Blue wrote:I'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-admits-mental-struggles-164425920.html

"It's kind of hard, I was really down," Wiseman said in his latest video diary for The Undefeated. "I can say that I was crying a lot. Yeah, it was bad. My mom had to actually tell me everything was gonna be all right."

Tough. Wish the best for him I got to admit. Not sure we’re the right team to be developing a young athlete mentally while competing for playoffs and more.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:49 am

cdubbz wrote:

Tough. Wish the best for him I got to admit. Not sure we’re the right team to be developing a young athlete mentally while competing for playoffs and more.

Poole's confidence came back and his game improved a lot and now the Warriors expect him to contribute to a deep playoff run.

Every player needs confidence to play at their best.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#16 » by Coxy » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:16 am

Tough initiation year, he’s going to need to grow up quickly and get the grit between his teeth to overcome, or he may go down a Kwame like path.

Develop some absolute go to moves this off-season James, commit to defence, you’ll be fine.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#17 » by Mob Byers » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:26 am

Rough year and college "career" leading up to it. These are mental struggles any sane person in his position would have given his circumstances. Can't wait to see him back next year
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#18 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:32 am

did you all read the yahoo article? I think he was saying he cried after his latest injury and not from playing in the NBA. So much dissing on the big guy, I don't get it.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:16 am

whatisacenter wrote:did you all read the yahoo article? I think he was saying he cried after his latest injury and not from playing in the NBA. So much dissing on the big guy, I don't get it.

Yeah, and Klay cried after his. It happens.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#20 » by Impuniti » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:46 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Poole's confidence came back and his game improved a lot and now the Warriors expect him to contribute to a deep playoff run.

Every player needs confidence to play at their best.

Little Poole tried to dunk on Lebron, failed, then walked right in front of him like he was nothing. I wouldn't compare Poole to others because the guy is built different from everyone else.

Saying that, doesn't change that Wise comes back a lot better this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors