Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#1421 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:04 am

If we don't get a top 5 pick, I would be very surprised if we don't draft any of Sengun/Garuba/Giddey
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1422 » by cjmcallist » Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Alright, today we were at #4 again. But around us was different.

1 - ORL
2 - HOU
3 - CLE
4 - OKC
5 - DET
6 - GS (MIN)
7 - TOR
8 - NO
9 - SAC
10 - ORL (CHI)

In this scenario - I could see two paths:

1) draft whoever's at #4
2) call ORL and see if you can get #1 and #10 for SGA

I know it's not popular to trade SGA. I think SGA is a future All Star. But, if we only get #4 this year, we trade Al, and we head into next year with SGA + #4, we're going to end up with a pick in the 7-15 range. That's setting us on the wrong trajectory.

If we can head into next year with #1, #4, #10, we will end up with another top 5 pick next year. That puts us on the right course.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1423 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:20 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Alright, today we were at #4 again. But around us was different.

1 - ORL
2 - HOU
3 - CLE
4 - OKC
5 - DET
6 - GS (MIN)
7 - TOR
8 - NO
9 - SAC
10 - ORL (CHI)

1) draft whoever's at #4

I know it's not popular to trade SGA. I think SGA is a future All Star. But, if we only get #4 this year, we trade Al, and we head into next year with SGA + #4, we're going to end up with a pick in the 7-15 range. That's setting us on the wrong trajectory.

If we can head into next year with #1, #4, #10, we will end up with another top 5 pick next year. That puts us on the right course.

I understand the idea of trading SGA because he's ahead of our timeline but I just don't like the risk/reward of trading him for Cade and a top 10 pick. Think I would do it for Cade + Kuminga though (won't happen).

Even if SGA wants to go somewhere else to contend, that team won't have premium picks to give us (only Gs or Chicago if they get lucky in the lottery). I doubt Presti is thinking about trading SGA anyway...

Pretty huge flip today. a 11% gap to get a top 5 pick. That win against LA may cost us a lot :(
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#1424 » by Dn4sty » Tue May 25, 2021 5:39 pm

I’m not in favor of an SGA trade. I’d actually be in favor of cashing in assets and building around him by adding more win now players than I’d be in favor of trading him
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#1425 » by Dn4sty » Tue May 25, 2021 5:41 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Alright, today we were at #4 again. But around us was different.

1 - ORL
2 - HOU
3 - CLE
4 - OKC
5 - DET
6 - GS (MIN)
7 - TOR
8 - NO
9 - SAC
10 - ORL (CHI)

1) draft whoever's at #4

I think I’d just take either Green or Suggs and then move assets to jump up higher along with the Heat pick to get someone like Sengun, Franz, or just hope Garuba lands at the Heat pick
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1426 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Well June 22 is more important but it's a nice start
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1427 » by cjmcallist » Tue May 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well June 22 is more important but it's a nice start

Whoop! Big win.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,383

Post#1428 » by RunOKC » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 am

We should trade SGA under no circumstances lol
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#1429 » by bbms » Fri May 28, 2021 5:22 pm

Vasilije Micic is a very interesting trading piece.
obispo
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#1430 » by obispo » Mon May 31, 2021 8:04 am

Micic is both regular season and final four MVP of Euroleague now. Also get the championship with his team.

Such an IQ player and also very brave at final moments of the game.Image
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#1431 » by jambalaya » Mon May 31, 2021 9:23 pm

How good will he be in NBA? I dunno. But traditional sized Euro guards have often disappointed expectations in NBA.

In Euroleague this season he was between Shane Larkin and almost 35 year old Sergio Rodriguez on PER. Between the 30 year old less famous Mike James (now with Nets) and Shane Larkin on Euroleague Player Impact Estimate.

Rodriguez was above neutral on BPM only once in 5 NBA seasons and rarely started. The other two never were above neutral and rarely started.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#1432 » by jake_swivel » Mon May 31, 2021 11:17 pm

Micic is a weird asset. To come over, he’s going to want a defined role, and will likely want to be a part of a competitive team. But to trade him, you’ll need his approval because he can just decide to stay overseas, which narrows the possibilities. Additionally, I think it’s been long enough since he’s been drafted that his rookie contract will be higher than the standard contract, which again lowers his value. It doesn’t seem that there’s a path where he benefits the thunder much unless OKC wants to compete now.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#1433 » by Dn4sty » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:17 am

Not saying they go this route, but let’s say they get pick 1 and draft Cade. And now with a Cade/SGA combo they decide they no longer want to tank and as such decide to make some smart win now moves. What would that hypothetically look like?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#1434 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:18 pm

Dn4sty wrote:Not saying they go this route, but let’s say they get pick 1 and draft Cade. And now with a Cade/SGA combo they decide they no longer want to tank and as such decide to make some smart win now moves. What would that hypothetically look like?

I think an accelerated rebuild looks like sticking with what we have and waiting for a disgruntled star to push their way out. I don’t think it looks like okc being proactive and trying to get better as soon as they get a high pick. Start winning more than you’re supposed to with the tier one pieces looking good so that someone WANTS to come here. I don’t think OKC wants a Kawhi/Toronto situation. Then you give a boatload of picks for whoever that is and some young pieces and augment with role players around those three.

That’s probably less specific than you want, but I think it’s kind of impossible to know what player will want to be moved 6-12 months from now.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#1435 » by jambalaya » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:18 pm

If they now wanted to compete immediately (after tear down), they could try for Dinwiddie, Lonzo Ball, R Holmes, Caruso, Skylar Mays, Reggie Perry, Josh Hart, Devonte Graham, etc. in free agency.

Or older / more expensive players if they were willing to do that (don't expect that).

And trade (or just not play much or at all) 5 -10 of the current projects.

Hard to say what Presti will do generally, including on spending to reach team minimum salary the next 2 years.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#1436 » by Dn4sty » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:34 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:Not saying they go this route, but let’s say they get pick 1 and draft Cade. And now with a Cade/SGA combo they decide they no longer want to tank and as such decide to make some smart win now moves. What would that hypothetically look like?

I think an accelerated rebuild looks like sticking with what we have and waiting for a disgruntled star to push their way out. I don’t think it looks like okc being proactive and trying to get better as soon as they get a high pick. Start winning more than you’re supposed to with the tier one pieces looking good so that someone WANTS to come here. I don’t think OKC wants a Kawhi/Toronto situation. Then you give a boatload of picks for whoever that is and some young pieces and augment with role players around those three.

That’s probably less specific than you want, but I think it’s kind of impossible to know what player will want to be moved 6-12 months from now.

I don’t want anything specifically except good back and forth discussion (and this qualifies by the way).
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#1437 » by Dn4sty » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:35 am

jambalaya wrote:If they now wanted to compete immediately (after tear down), they could try for Dinwiddie, Lonzo Ball, R Holmes, Caruso, Skylar Mays, Reggie Perry, Josh Hart, Devonte Graham, etc. in free agency.

Or older / more expensive players if they were willing to do that (don't expect that).

And trade (or just not play much or at all) 5 -10 of the current projects.

Hard to say what Presti will do generally, including on spending to reach team minimum salary the next 2 years.

Some of these guys are way down the rabbit hole.

Also I’ve always wondered why a team feels like they have to meet the salary floor. Guys like Lu would probably love if they didn’t.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#1438 » by jambalaya » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:00 am

Mays has 3rd best BPM in 2020 draft class. Liked a lot before draft.

Got Reggie Perry mixed up in my mind with Paul Reed. So probably forget that one. But could still be a decent low cost gamble. They need more rebounding, front court scoring.

Holmes would be the best bet for front scoring, if they'd pay more than others. He might still be good value at whatever he gets paid, even though not as much of a bargain as in past.

Dinwiddie, Ball, Hart would be more trained initiators. Thunder have a lot of guys eager to initiate but not that skilled at it. SGA is not sufficient alone and Maledon is not much help yet.

Caruso probably should have been on team years ago. Would contribute. Value? Depends on pay but I'd be willing to go fairly high, instead of going without or with lesser.

I could aim higher on free agents but I am not sure what is credible and desirable to go for value and timetable wise beyond this group.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1439 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:55 pm

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1215828/bulls-micic-thunder/

Feels like we gonna get a 2nd for Micic...I doubt he will play for us.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#1440 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:23 am

Dadouv47 wrote:https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1215828/bulls-micic-thunder/

Feels like we gonna get a 2nd for Micic...I doubt he will play for us.

Give me a permission to swap firsts, top 8ish protected 2024.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder