Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#861 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon May 31, 2021 3:25 pm

kodo wrote:I think the most likely teams interested are San Antonio and Washington. KC reported the team Ak almost had a deal for Lauri with at the deadline was the Wizards, but he was asking an insane price IMO, Wash's 1st round pick.

Washington currently does not start any PF, their best big man is Alex Len. Bertrans is just a dice roll from game to game, he had 0 points 0 3s and 6 fouls last game.

Thomas Bryant is their best big man, but he got hurt too early in the season. Lauri would actually fit nicely next to him. But AK was right asking for a 1st round pick. No one else on that squad makes sense IMO.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,704

Post#862 » by BullChit » Tue Jun 1, 2021 9:35 am

What are we thinking here?

Coby
Lavine
Beal
P.Will
Vuc...

Oshh the score at end of regulation would look like an All Star game going double O.T haha

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#863 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:36 pm

BullChit wrote:What are we thinking here?

Coby
Lavine
Beal
P.Will
Vuc...

Oshh the score at end of regulation would look like an All Star game going double O.T haha

No Coby White would be gone or on the bench. And still don’t think PWill ends up at PF as his primary position.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#864 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:31 pm

BullChit wrote:What are we thinking here?

Coby
Lavine
Beal
P.Will
Vuc...

Move Coby to the bench and move everyone else except Vuch up a position and have Zach and Beal share PG duties in a PG by committee system and insert Theis between PWill and Vuch.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#865 » by Chi town » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:58 pm

Can Lauri get us a non lottery 1st?

Target Kispert, Z Williams, Cooper?
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Post#866 » by Andi Obst » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:52 pm

Chi town wrote:Can Lauri get us a non lottery 1st?

Free Agency starts after the draft and it would have to be a sign and trade. So no.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Neonblazer
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#867 » by Neonblazer » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:48 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Chi town wrote:Can Lauri get us a non lottery 1st?

Free Agency starts after the draft and it would have to be a sign and trade. So no.

This is also why everything you hear now should be taken with grain of salt if its something that wasn't said before the trade deadline.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#868 » by PaKii94 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:55 pm

Seems like Mavs have similar issues with their tall euro softy:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262851/Kristaps-Porzingis-Frustrated-With-Role-On-Mavericks

At least Lauri said the right things and was a team player throughout the season. I said in the 2019 off season, Lauri will be a better player and have more value than KP going forward. KP got paid for the unearned NY hype when he had inflated usage
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,346

Post#869 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:53 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Seems like Mavs have similar issues with their tall euro softy:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262851/Kristaps-Porzingis-Frustrated-With-Role-On-Mavericks

At least Lauri said the right things and was a team player throughout the season. I said in the 2019 off season, Lauri will be a better player and have more value than KP going forward. KP got paid for the unearned NY hype when he had inflated usage

The quotes eerily sound exactly what Lauri has said this year.
The Cult of Personality
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,251

Post#870 » by TheJordanRule » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:08 pm

I love your stuff 99 percent of the time PaKii but this is some Bulls cringe analysis!

Lauri PER this year: 15.2 (15.6 career average)
KP PER this year: 21.3 (19.2 career average)

Lauri's Blocks per game this year: 0.3 (0.5 career average)
KP's Blocks per game this year: 1.6 (2.2 career average)

Lauri's Rebounds Per 36 minutes this year: 7.3 (8.6 career per 36 minutes average)
KP's Rebounds Per 36 minutes this year: 10.3 (9 career average per 36 minutes average)

They are NOT in the same ballpark. The difference in PER alone makes that crystal clear. But KP is a factor on the defensive end and throws down the type of mean dunks in traffic that Lauri could only dream about. The fact that KP knows how to board better than Lauri is only icing on the cake. Lauri's claim to fame is having the long distance accuracy that an elite 3 point shooting PG would have, except in a 7 footer's body. Beyond that, there is no real edge favoring him. He struggles to board, can't block, and can't really even stay on the floor for a bad Bulls team.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#871 » by Pax for Prez » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:25 am

The suddenly-rebuilding Rockets find themselves faced with a variety of offseason questions, writes Kelly Iko of The Athletic. Iko thinks that Houston may look to add some intriguing, cost-effective restricted free agents this summer, along the lines of Bulls power forward Lauri Markkanen and Lakers shooting guard Talen Horton-Tucker, tantalizing role players who may be asked to do more with a developing Houston club.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/06/southwest-notes-jackson-grizz-roster-rockets-pelicans.html
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#872 » by kodo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:The suddenly-rebuilding Rockets find themselves faced with a variety of offseason questions, writes Kelly Iko of The Athletic. Iko thinks that Houston may look to add some intriguing, cost-effective restricted free agents this summer, along the lines of Bulls power forward Lauri Markkanen and Lakers shooting guard Talen Horton-Tucker, tantalizing role players who may be asked to do more with a developing Houston club.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/06/southwest-notes-jackson-grizz-roster-rockets-pelicans.html

I could see that, they definitely use stretch bigs instead of bangers, and they're below the salary floor so they wouldn't mind a mid size contract on the books. Lauri just takes Olynyk's place?

The words "cost effective" are key here, if Houston offers Lauri Olynyk's contract ($12M per year) I wonder if AK matches.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#873 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:

I have to agree. Lauri's quotes sound pretty similar to this.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#874 » by sco » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:

I have a harder time faulting Lauri whose role diminished and was in a contract year.
:clap:
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#875 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:08 pm

sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:

I have a harder time faulting Lauri whose role diminished and was in a contract year.

I'm not faulting Lauri, here. His only "crime" was uninspired play. He never acted inappropriately. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that KP's comments are radically different than Lauri's. Maybe there are comments beyond this article that I'm unaware of, but the one's in that article were pretty tame.
sco
RealGM

Post#876 » by sco » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:11 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

I'm not faulting Lauri, here. His only "crime" was uninspired play. He never acted inappropriately. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that KP's comments are radically different than Lauri's. Maybe their are comments beyond this article that I'm unaware of, but the one's in that article were pretty tame.

I meant harder time faulting Lauri than I do faulting KP.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#877 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:14 pm

sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
sco wrote:I have a harder time faulting Lauri whose role diminished and was in a contract year.

I'm not faulting Lauri, here. His only "crime" was uninspired play. He never acted inappropriately. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that KP's comments are radically different than Lauri's. Maybe their are comments beyond this article that I'm unaware of, but the one's in that article were pretty tame.

If we're splitting hairs, isn't being upset about your diminished role in a non-contract year more "admirable". That means, the KP genuinely wants to be more involved and it's not about money.

That said, I don't see an issue with either players' comments.
sco
RealGM

Post#878 » by sco » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

If we're splitting hairs, isn't being upset about your diminished role in a non-contract year more "admirable". That means, the KP genuinely wants to be more involved and it's not about money.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have KP on his deal than Lauri even at $12M/year. I'm not saying either is a great fit though.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,346

Post#879 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:09 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

Both are valid. But I think KP comes off alot worse, because it gives the impression, he should get the ball more and less Luka. Which everyone will say kick rocks.

I will say this though, KP probably has till the trade deadline in Dallas.
The Cult of Personality
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#880 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:36 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
sco wrote:I meant harder time faulting Lauri than I do faulting KP.

Both are valid. But I think KP comes off alot worse, because it gives the impression, he should get the ball more and less Luka. Which everyone will say kick rocks.

I will say this though, KP probably has till the trade deadline in Dallas.

To me it's the Michael Jordan/Phil Jackson thing. Sure, Michael could easily continue averaging 37 a game, but the Bulls were ultimately more dangerous if his teammates felt involved and incorporated into the game plan. Porzingis is a flawed player, but he's a talented one who saw his shots per game drop by 5 in playoffs while Luka's usage (which was already the highest in the league) went up another 4%.

Return to Chicago Bulls