ImageImageImage

Robert Williams, aka "Timelord"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,806

Robert Williams, aka "Timelord" 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Robert Williams, aka TimeLord, Thread 

Post#2 » by truth18 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Old thread for archival reasons:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1717459&start=1680

AGGIE TOUGH
YOU LOSE
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#3 » by 31to6 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Fencer is one of the better and longest-tenured posters on this board. I realize he won't likely see this, but look forward to his return.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#4 » by truth18 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:50 pm

31to6 wrote:Fencer is one of the better and longest-tenured posters on this board. I realize he won't likely see this, but look forward to his return.

Also look forward to his return so I can at least exchange numbers with him lol.

Lord knows I've bought some horrible jerseys over the years but I'm thinking I may grab a Rob Will just cause he's an aggie lol.
YOU LOSE
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#5 » by 31to6 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:51 pm

truth18 wrote:
31to6 wrote:Fencer is one of the better and longest-tenured posters on this board. I realize he won't likely see this, but look forward to his return.

Also look forward to his return so I can at least exchange numbers with him lol.

Lord knows I've bought some horrible jerseys over the years but I'm thinking I may grab a Rob Will just cause he's an aggie lol.

you have Texas roots? If you buy a Williams jersey just make sure to duct-tape 'Not Grant' above it

Paul Pierce appreciation society.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#6 » by cloverleaf » Fri May 28, 2021 3:57 pm

One of the questions asked of Time Lord was whether he sees himself getting to that All-Defensive level, similar to teammate Marcus Smart.

"Yeah, for sure. I definitely look at me and Smart as kind of the anchors of our defense as far as like quarterbacks who see everything and try to talk (to teammates) about it, "Williams said. "I feel I have (All-Defensive) player potential, but there's a lot of work I've got to do."

Does Williams see Boston as a place where he'd like to grow as a player and be part of the core?

Williams noted "I feel like we've got something good going in Boston." He also mentioned how a lot of the guys are friends on and off the floor and spend time with each other away from court, before adding, "It's a great organization. So I could definitely see that."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-talk-exclusive-interview-cs-center-robert-williams
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#7 » by Hal14 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:58 pm

cloverleaf wrote:One of the questions asked of Time Lord was whether he sees himself getting to that All-Defensive level, similar to teammate Marcus Smart.

"Yeah, for sure. I definitely look at me and Smart as kind of the anchors of our defense as far as like quarterbacks who see everything and try to talk (to teammates) about it, "Williams said. "I feel I have (All-Defensive) player potential, but there's a lot of work I've got to do."

Does Williams see Boston as a place where he'd like to grow as a player and be part of the core?

Williams noted "I feel like we've got something good going in Boston." He also mentioned how a lot of the guys are friends on and off the floor and spend time with each other away from court, before adding, "It's a great organization. So I could definitely see that."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-talk-exclusive-interview-cs-center-robert-williams

Really seems like a nice, quiet, humble guy, based on what I've seen in interviews.

Him and Smart are our 2 best defenders IMO, without question. He absolutely can be an all-defense type guy if he can a) stay healthy / show he can handle more minutes and b) clean up the occasional miscues like sometimes being out of position defensively, fouling a jump shooter, etc.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#8 » by cloverleaf » Fri May 28, 2021 10:43 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:One of the questions asked of Time Lord was whether he sees himself getting to that All-Defensive level, similar to teammate Marcus Smart.

Really seems like a nice, quiet, humble guy, based on what I've seen in interviews.

Him and Smart are our 2 best defenders IMO, without question. He absolutely can be an all-defense type guy if he can a) stay healthy / show he can handle more minutes and b) clean up the occasional miscues like sometimes being out of position defensively, fouling a jump shooter, etc.

Yep. Sharp dude from humble origins. Always seems to be there for his teammates. Listening to this interview I learned that Tatum was one of his closest friends. Sounds like they spend a lot of time together off the court.
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#9 » by nic4747 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:18 am

Anyone heard anything on his injury?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,806

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:21 am

nic4747 wrote:Anyone heard anything on his injury?

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#11 » by nic4747 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:22 pm

I love Timelord but I’m starting to wonder if he’s fools gold. Dude just can’t stay healthy, it’s an endless series of injuries. Given how careful they were with him during the regular season I was really hoping he would be fresh for the playoffs.

Maybe I just have injury fatigue or maybe something needs to change on the medical staff, but this can’t keep happening where we have player after player who can’t for the life of them stay healthy.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#12 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 31, 2021 11:25 pm

Injuries are ridiculous. He never plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#13 » by playa-hater » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:05 am

I love Timelord as much or more than anyone. but I want him to get one more year to prove he can stay healthy. If not, then even I will admit it's time to move on..

Flip side is, if he again struggles to stay healthy, he may be much easier to resign. So who knows.

Flip side again. If by some minor miracle he does stay healthy, he may be out of our $$$ league.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#14 » by moonie_mcgee » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:40 am

playa-hater wrote:I love Timelord as much or more than anyone. but I want him to get one more year to prove he can stay healthy. If not, then even I will admit it's time to move on..

Flip side is, if he again struggles to stay healthy, he may be much easier to resign. So who knows.

Flip side again. If by some minor miracle he does stay healthy, he may be out of our $$$ league.

That's a good plan Playa but I'd still seek out a new starting center. Keep Rob as you say but we desperately need a frontline center. Personally I'd like to add 2 7 footers to the front court. 1 as a starter and another solid backup. If Rob is healthy then all the better. We'll have 3.
That's the Way of the World
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#15 » by playa-hater » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:52 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I love Timelord as much or more than anyone. but I want him to get one more year to prove he can stay healthy. If not, then even I will admit it's time to move on..

That's a good plan Playa but I'd still seek out a new starting center. Keep Rob as you say but we desperately need a frontline center. Personally I'd like to add 2 7 footers to the front court. 1 as a starter and another solid backup. If Rob is healthy then all the better. We'll have 3.

I agree regardless of what rob Williams may do next year I want a much better center to be added to this team.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#16 » by pac213up » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:42 pm

Ainge has to approach next season as if Rob Williams does not exist. Anything you get out of him is a bonus.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:50 pm

Rob could be a great starting center for this team. Just look at his impact and the results when he's been in there.

But they also need a bigger guy who can go up against the Embiids of the world (when the Embiids of the world themselves are healthy). If the draft goes well they might find that, likely with one of the players from Africa or Eastern Europe, but Tristan Thompson is not the answer as their second frontline center. (I actually think another coaching staff could have developed Tacko for that, but obviously ours hasn't.)

Also, give Rob another year or so and he could have the range to be a fantastic stretch 4 for them, while that new frontline center holds down the 5 role, when they want to go big across the board.

Some players have a couple of bad injury years and then are fine. I still wonder whether his congenital circulatory condition behind his knees needs to be addressed with surgery to solve his nagging health issues.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#18 » by darylbe » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:17 am

Someone mentioned to me here how embiid missed the first 2 years of his nba career. Valid point. But it was all about the foot and surgery. Rw3, I really want to root for him, but it's like, pimple on his ass, stubbed toe, my knees, my ankle, hip, blah blah blah. Start doing yoga or something, it sucks.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#19 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:51 am

darylbe wrote:Someone mentioned to me here how embiid missed the first 2 years of his nba career. Valid point. But it was all about the foot and surgery. Rw3, I really want to root for him, but it's like, pimple on his ass, stubbed toe, my knees, my ankle, hip, blah blah blah. Start doing yoga or something, it sucks.

Not necessarily. Rob has that congenital condition for which there is supposed to be a surgery that can fix it. As I understand it, young guys like him can sometimes outgrow it and I imagine they've been hoping for that to happen while they tried to also strengthen him in the right areas. But toe to hip is pretty connected and if one part isn't right it is easy to get another messed up from that.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#20 » by jfs1000d » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:35 am

I can’t take guys who are always injured. If this is new injury, fine, but I don’t Care how good the guys is. Never available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics